Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Repositioning of Paul Murphy and Walter Walsh potentially pivotal to Kilkenny

By Peter McNamara

Kilkenny topped group two of the Bord na Móna Walsh Cup swiping to one side DCU, Antrim and Westmeath.

The Cats returned tallies of 0-21, 6-27 and 4-18, a total of 10-66 with no goals conceded to, albeit inferior, opponents.

Big deal, most would say. It’s a pre-season tournament that does nothing more than blow away the off-season cobwebs.

This is, of course, true. However, their methods in the madness might be more revealing than people will have noticed.

In last September’s All-Ireland SHC final Brian Cody’s team were, obviously, torn to shreds by Tipperary’s attack, and particularly their inside forward line.

Pre-Christmas, Cody will have spent some time mulling over potential defensive combinations and tactics to guard against another filleting in a major contest this term.

It is unlikely Cody will make any definitive decisions on the composition of his preferred starting 15 for this year’s championship until late April.

Yet, the positioning of two particular players in Sunday’s routine victory over Westmeath did not go unnoticed.

Even though Paul Murphy has long since been an established corner-back within this Kilkenny group his stationing at centre-back in their most recent outing was noteworthy.

Is it possible Cody sees Murphy as the type of defender that could evolve into a Ken McGrath-esque figure in the No 6 role for the Noresiders?

Kieran Joyce started in the position last September at Croke Park. However, Cody could do with an even more commanding presence in this pivotal location and Murphy represents his best option.

Kilkenny require a man to cement the centre-back slot as their own on a longer-term basis and Murphy possesses the mental qualities and skill set to thrive as an aggressive supplement to their midfield pairing in the central battlezone.

The Defence Forces bruiser is as combative as they come and may contribute even more to the Cats’ cause in the half-back line.

Murphy would be the ideal foil for Pádraig Walsh and Cillian Buckley in the wing-back berths. His capacity to snatch primary and secondary possessions before releasing via quick wrists could afford Walsh and Buckley an even higher percentage of opportunities to generate attacks from such a crucial sector of the field.

Additionally, with the Danesfort man roaming in this area opposing units are far less likely to open Kilkenny up for goalscoring chances through that central channel.

Too often against Tipp Kilkenny parted like the Red Sea however, Murphy could suffocate that space in front of their full-back line more efficiently than was the case on that occasion.

The defender in question has an acute understanding of the game and therefore reads it well thus facilitating his ability to move into specific pockets often utilised to engineer goalscoring opportunities by Kilkenny’s opponents.

Are you robbing Peter to pay Paul by drawing him out of the full-back line to perform at centre-back? Not necessarily, especially as his presence a little further out-field may limit the pressure placed on those behind him.

His explosive power is another reason to relocate one of the best defenders in the business.

Is Murphy one of the most complete man-markers around? Of course. Nevertheless, it could also be argued his leadership qualities are stymied by the role he carries out as a corner-back.

Murphy has the drive required to lead Kilkenny as a domineering No 6 as Cody seeks an alternative means of minimising the scope for opposing attackers creating situations that could result in damaging green flags.

Another character that should be trusted by Cody in a more central role is Walter Walsh.

Cody has flirted with the idea of Walsh at full-forward previously. Still, it seems the Tullogher-Rosbercon attacker is the obvious answer to Kilkenny’s questions marks over this position long-term.

I always felt Walsh was wasted on the wing. He screams out as the type of forward that needs to be placed on the edge of the square and left there.

He is 6 ft 4, what full-back in the country would relish the chance to tackle him? Operating on the fringes of the wing does not seem to play to Walsh’s full repertoire of skills.

He was full-forward in Mullingar on Sunday and registered 2-3. And, irrespective of the standard of the opposition, Walsh has the strength to cause any direct marker truly major problems.

A primary example to support that theory was how Walsh bulldozed his way beyond John Hanbury and the Galway defence in the 12th minute of the 2015 All-Ireland final prior to off-loading to TJ Reid for Kilkenny’s major.

The likes of Jonjo Farrell and the returning Ger Aylward would benefit hugely from his presence on the edge of the square.

Walsh is as likely to register as many assists as scores himself as the No 14 and it would also allow the Cats to be more direct than ever.

As the game at the top level becomes entangled by the over-complication of tactics Walsh offers Kilkenny the chance to be unforgivably straightforward in their approach to the Allianz NHL Division 1 and subsequent championship this year.

Previously, it has been unfairly suggested Walsh is marginally shy of the mobility necessary.

Yet, he is deceptively pacey and would torment every full-back line he is due to encounter.

The reality is somebody with Walsh’s height could be borderline unmarkable with astute deliveries.

Obviously, he has filled the spot in the past but for Walsh to reach his optimum performance level at full-forward he has to be given the No 14 jersey on a regular basis.

Were that to be the case, or cases if we include the argument for switching Murphy to centre-back, Kilkenny could become extremely solid once more throughout the spine of their side.

Michael Fennelly, when fully-fit again, will also add to that powerbase.

There are suggestions the Cats are entering a period of that dreaded ‘transition’.

I disagree. Entirely.

Once their injury list clears up and these potential positional switches are considered, Kilkenny are the most likely 2017 league and All-Ireland champions.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/repositioning-of-paul-murphy-and-walter-walsh-potentially-pivotal-to-kilkenny-773873.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Village87

Paul Murphy not good enough to play centre back IMO. Average in the air and doesn't have the best first touch. What makes him a great corner back is his pace and strength, has enough pace to get back if something or someone is in trouble

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't think the answer to Kilkenny's Full Back Line problems are to remove Paul Murphy. That leaves what, Holden, Prendergast and A.N Other. Not exactly inspiring confidence to be honest.

I think you'll see a host of players being tried at different positions all through the winter and spring but I wouldn't read too much into it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Didn't Paul Murphy play some league matches last year in the half-back line?

I wouldn't read too much into the lineups for the Walsh Cup games to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Village87 wrote: »
    Paul Murphy not good enough to play centre back IMO. Average in the air and doesn't have the best first touch. What makes him a great corner back is his pace and strength, has enough pace to get back if something or someone is in trouble

For me he is good in the air and has excellent first touch, could see him getting dragged out of position a lot tho, so he probably wont end up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I think that's what these games are for - try a few different players out in different positions and see how they do. It's hard to beat a bit of experience in playing in different positions.

I think Wally is a great option at 14 - he could go in there for different spells during a game but the key thing is that that quality of ball into him must be good. He will cause problems and is a good option to put No. 3 on the back foot. I'd say the corner backs would want to stay close so it might open a bit of space in the full forward line.

I think the main thing is getting a stronger full back line - either that or close down the 30 yards in front of them. Cut down on that space.

Topcat32 wrote: »

For me he is good in the air and has excellent first touch, could see him getting dragged out of position a lot tho, so he probably wont end up there.

I think that most No. 11's will want to pull the chb out of position and the chb either sits in the hole and protects or follows No. 11 wherever he goes. The centre half back years ago was usually the dominant player and never moved out of a 30m circus. Really up to management what way they want to play it nowadays.

I think Paul Murphy could play there but are you robbing Peter to pay Paul re: full back line?

I think that most No. 11's will want to pull the chb out of position and the chb either sits in the hole and protects or follows No. 11 wherever he goes. The centre half back years ago was usually the dominant player and never moved out of a 30m circus****. Really up to management what way they want to play it nowadays.

I think Paul Murphy could play there but are you robbing Peter to pay Paul re: full back line?

*** I think i invented a new word - mixture between circle and radius!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I'm surprised we havent seen evan coady or even a few more u21 lads being tried in the walsh cup because not all are college tied.
    Is mark bergin injured or is he getting a rest?is it just himself and deegan that were called into the senior setup?also is Liam blanchfield and jason cleere in college or are they currently injured?

brookville wrote: »
    I'm surprised we havent seen evan coady or even a few more u21 lads being tried in the walsh cup because not all are college tied.
    Is mark bergin injured or I really getting a rest?is it just himself and deegan that were called into the senior setup?also is Liam blanchfield and jason cleere in college or are they currently injured?

Not sure. I saw Kevin Kelly and Chris Bolger play for Carlow IT V Meath in Walsh Cup 2 weeks ago but I think Kelly got hurt in their Fitzgibbon game during the week - not sure of the extent of it though.

I saw Huw Lawlor and Luke Scanlon play V Dublin in Walsh Cup a month ago in Parnell Park. There are probably other lads who are injured.

As an aside, will any of the Carrickshock (except JP) or Mooncoin lads be worth a look at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

As an aside, will any of the Carrickshock (except JP) or Mooncoin lads be worth a look at?

Carrickshock backboned by their ex county players. Of the rest id say kevin farrell has best chance but he has 2 years left under 21s and needs to make it there first.
    Barely seen any of Mooncoin but ducky hennerbry seems to be doing serious damage full forward.

Wexford and Galway hold upper hand
    Wexford and Galway hold upper hand
    (26 Jan 2017)
    DJ CAREY COLUMN
    No sooner has Davy Fitzgerald put down his first important marker in leading Wexford to a win over Dublin than he has to face up to an even bigger test in tackling Kilkenny in a Bord na Móna Walsh Cup semi-final this Sunday.

An early season win over Dublin will have done confidence in Wexford the world of good.

There’s no denying the Davy Fitz feel good factor is working and the crowds are turning out behind them.

That optimism and enthusiasm would get a massive shot in the arm if they were to maintain that progress and beat Brian Cody’s Kilkenny. It doesn’t matter what time of the year it is – a win over Kilkenny is always a big deal.

The problem for Wexford is that Brian Cody is back at the helm of the Kilkenny team after their team holiday and he’ll see this match as an opportunity to lay down a marker of his own too.

I’ve heard that Brian spoke in praise of Davy at a Kilkenny event earlier this week and said he expects Wexford to be a force in Leinster this summer. He says that knowing full well that Wexford have a date with destiny with Kilkenny in Leinster next June in Championship.

Kilkenny are down players who are away with their colleges and other lads who are unavailable – but this is still going to be a Kilkenny team and a bunch of players who Brian will be telling have their own fantastic opportunity to take this chance and show they are good enough.

These players have got to take this opportunity. At this time of year Cody is not looking for skill level to necessarily stand out – but he is looking for players with an attitude, the right attitude and that means not pulling up and giving their all to do the jersey justice.

From what I have seen and heard so far, Richie Leahy is a young forward who has impressed – so too another half forward Pat Lyng.

Cody is looking for new players to boost his options and that what he is using the Walsh Cup for.

If he can also give Wexford a reminder of where the bar is in terms of the standard required that will do too.

At this time of the year, you have to think that Wexford are ahead of Kilkenny at the moment in terms of their preparation for the season. While Kilkenny were on their off season and then their team holiday Davy Fitz has been working and training Wexford and they have a lot more training and a lot more hurling done.

They are short some players through college commitments too – but Davy is still picking a strong looking team at all times and it would be no surprise if there greater sharpness for this time of the year was a crucial factor in their match this Sunday.

The other semi-final will see the IT Carlow side that I am coaching alongside Michael Dempsey take on Galway this Saturday.

We have had an excellent campaign to date and in terms of preparation for the Fitzgibbon Cup it helped us get off to a perfect start and a 12 point win over DIT in our opening round.

It is a pity that we have a crunch game against Mary Immaculate from Limerick next Thursday in the Fitzgibbon. It is a match that probably determines the group and the group winner will have a home game in the quarter final so it is a massive game.

We have a well-balanced and talented team and some excellent hurlers in Colin Dunford of Waterford, Nicky Maher and Kevin Dwyer from laois, Kilkenny’s Kevin Kelly and an excellent Meath hurler called Damien Healy.

It is going to be a tall order for us to beat Galway this weekend when we also have such an important game coming up in the Fitzgibbon.

But our lads are all eager to play against Galway and we will do our best to be very competitive.

It’s been a low key start to the year for Micheal Donohoe’s side but they’ve done what they had to do and they’ll have had their own large chunk of their panel away on college duty but are still trialling players and posting big scores.

That’s why I feel that coming into this weekend it is Wexford and Galway who hold the upper hand in the Bord na Móna Walsh Cup semi-finals but it has been a very interesting month so far and I hope that continues.

© 2017 Leinster Gaa

I think kelly had hamstring injury.their playing galway this evening.it was also good to see james maher lining out for ucd last week and huw lawlor seems to be hurling well for ucd.
    I'd say kevin farrell is the only other player from cshock who might be considered for the senior panel.
    A few panel members like john power would want to step up soon

Carrickshock are in cruise control in their All-Ireland IHC Semi Final.

Half-time: Carrickshock 0-13 Robert Emmetts 0-1.

Emmetts down to 13 men.

7 points to 4 at halftime for Kilkenny, sounds like the forwards are having a struggle to win any ball apart from Jonjo and Pat Lyng.

KK leading 0-7 to 0-4 at HT.

Carrickshock won 1-18 to 1-9

Mooncoin winning 2-4 to 0-5 at HT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Comerman

FULL-TIME: Wexford 0-14 Kilkenny 0-15

Am I right in saying that John Walsh and Liam Blanchfield are injured? Pity Chris Bolger didnt get a run today.

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying that John Walsh and Liam Blanchfield are injured? Pity Chris Bolger didnt get a run today.

I think it's positive alan murphy,sean morrissey,richie leahy and pat lyng are getting game time it can only be a good thing,also happier to see wally,tj and richie not playing today.

brookville wrote: »
    I think it's positive alan murphy,sean morrissey,richie leahy and pat lyng are getting game time it can only be a good thing,also happier to see wally,tj and richie not playing today.

Yeah I agree, just wondering why the three lads I mentioned were not on the panel today.

Yeah I agree, just wondering why the three lads I mentioned were not on the panel today.

Liam and John haven't featured in this competition but I know chris played for carlow yesterday he scored 2 points in their hammering.we should expect all these to feature during the league

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Very hard for Chris bolger to get a run when he wasn't named on the panel! Anyway he is playing Fitzsimmons on Tuesday

kk1970 wrote: »
    Very hard for Chris bolger to get a run when he wasn't named on the panel! Anyway he is playing Fitzsimmons on Tuesday

Nice quick edit, was wondering who christmas bolger was, I meant why he wasnt on the panel, but I hope he doesnt spend too much time in temple bar on Tuesday.

To be fair I should have known he played yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

kk1970 wrote: »

Fitzsimmons?

citykat wrote: »
    Fitzsimmons?

Fitzgibbon

Fitzgibbon

🙄

Fitzsimmons?

Suggestive text can be a killer!! Had good craic in that pub over the years tho

• Advertisement

See the Walsh cup final is down for Kilkenny, presumably NP. Cue more whingeing from our western opponents.

See the Walsh cup final is down for Kilkenny, presumably NP. Cue more whingeing from our western opponents.

Id say it'll be in dunmore or maybe freshford,with the league approaching they'll want to mind nowlan park with waterford coming in two weeks

I think to be fair to Galway supporters they wont mind coming to Kilkenny at this time of year, they see it as benifical to their team, they dont see their argument with Leinster as being with Kilkenny, they know we are prepared to play them on equal terms.

I doubt there will be too much complaining for the Walsh Cup.

The 2012 final was played in Galway (against KK).

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Thought Wexford were unlucky not to win today but they didn't take their chances and Richie Reid pulled off fantastic save last minute

Best for kk were Lyng and Buckley.Lyng doesn't look the most naturally skilful hurler but work rate is top notch.It was a very heavy ground conditions so you wouldn't judge any player on today's showing

Just on a side note does anybody know who the kk new physical trainer is?He and youngish lad and was taking all the warm up drills

On a side comment I thought the pitch in New Ross was shocking poor.The goal area at club house end was desperate and the pitch surface is desperate in general.Im all for counties to share match locations around the county but first and foremost the facilities and pitch have to be up to scratch to ensure player safety

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Just on a side note does anybody know who the kk new physical trainer is?He and youngish lad and was taking all the warm up drills

Derek Lyng? :pac:

• Advertisement

Thought Wexford were unlucky not to win today but they didn't take their chances and Richie Reid pulled off fantastic save last minute

Best for kk were Lyng and Buckley.Lyng doesn't look the most naturally skilful hurler but work rate is top notch.It was a very heavy ground conditions so you wouldn't judge any player on today's showing

On a side comment I thought the pitch in New Ross was shocking poor.The goal area at club house end was desperate and the pitch surface is desperate in general.Im all for counties to share match locations around the county but first and foremost the facilities and pitch have to be up to scratch to ensure player safety

Wouldnt be suprised if he ends up further back, played half back on the minor team in 2014, not afraid to get stuck in but Wexford would be a big match for him considering where he lives and went to school

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Anyone have the team from today and positions.

Derek Lyng? :pac:

No I'm fairly sure I know what Derek Lyng looks like!!This lad was in his mid twenties and had the build of a rugby player

Wouldnt be suprised if he ends up further back, played half back on the minor team in 2014, not afraid to get stuck in but Wexford would be a big match for him considering where he lives and went to school

Agreed he was very geared up for today and was pumped up even when just winning a free.Got a bit too excited at ok e stage when he won a free right in front of goal but then threw the ball at the Wexford player so Galvin left with no choice but to throw the ball instead.

Alan Murphy although he got 10pointe from frees will also be very dissapointed with the 4 very bad misses he had too.I also really am suprised at how he doesn't get pulled up for balancing the ball on the Hurley before striking

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Anyone have the team from today and positions.

Lined out as follows

Reid
    Holden
    Lennon
    P. Walsh
    Murphy
    Buckley
    Fogarty
    Ollie Walsh
    Deegan
    Lyng
    Martin
    James maher
    A Murphy
    Jonjo
    Leahy

• Advertisement

Lined out as follows

Reid
    Holden
    Lennon
    P. Walsh
    Murphy
    Buckley
    Fogarty
    Ollie Walsh
    Deegan
    Lyng
    Martin
    James maher
    A Murphy
    Jonjo
    Leahy

Thanks noddy

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Noddy33 wrote:
    Reid Holden Lennon P. Walsh Murphy Buckley Fogarty Ollie Walsh Deegan Lyng Martin James maher A Murphy Jonjo Leahy

Pauric walsh corner back? Its hard to see him tied down there but he could hurl anywhere.
    If Paul Murphy does end up CB your talking about nearly a new FB line which would be a very difficult task at that level.

Noddy33 wrote:
    Reid Holden Lennon P. Walsh Murphy Buckley Fogarty Ollie Walsh Deegan Lyng Martin James maher A Murphy Jonjo Leahy

Pauric walsh corner back? Its hard to see him tied down there but he could hurl anywhere.
    If Paul Murphy does end up CB your talking about nearly a new FB line which would be a very difficult task at that level.
    Yes Walsh was corner back. He did reasonably well but to me it makes very little sense to continue playing him there. He is possibly the best half back in the country at getting forward so playing him corner back negates this part of his game altogether. Perhaps Cody feels he might get forward to much which leaves gaps in defense so that could be his reasoning for corner back but  if we were going to change his position for this year I would love to him play a game or two on the half forward line. 
    Murphy for all the games has been wearing No. 6 for all games but I think I am correct in saying he has yet to actually play there and has been operating on the wing each game. Deegan can be happy enough with his debut and captained the side. He didnt strike much ball but came into it the last 10 mins but I thought the introduction of Lester meant kilkenny started winning more of the breaking and dirty ball which is Lesters bread and butter all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

I wasn't in new ross yest but in Mullingar the previous week Murphy was definitely playing centre back.

On a different note i just added up that kilkenny will play 11 games in the first 13 weeks of the year. Possibly 2 more in the following 4 weeks if they make league semi & final.
    From the date of the league final to the 1st sunday in sept, if we reach all ireland through the front door we'll play 4 games in 20 weeks!

Did wexford play with a sweeper yesterday does anyone know.just read in the papers that their crowd were a bit impatient with the team.

Maybe tossed a coin for venue??????

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Is Diarmuid Cody involved with Fitzgibbon or injured?

Match fixed for nowlan park

See bolger got 2 goals for it carlow today.deserves a chance imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

dubcat51 wrote: »
    See bolger got 2 goals for it carlow today.deserves a chance imo.

In what?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement