Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Fitzgibbon cup

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Fitzgibbon cup

Sure there not playin till thursday against mary i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

IanVW wrote: »
    Sure there not playin till thursday against mary i

They played last week against DIT, presume that's when he got the goals?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

They played last week against DIT

I know not today though

IanVW wrote: »
    I know not today though

Presume playing for IT Carlow means he's not allowed play for Kilkenny in the Walsh Cup anyway. Maybe he'll get a shot in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I saw him play for Carlow IT a few ago V Meath in Walsh Cup. He played ok. Kevin Kelly played midfield and was a class act but he was injured for the semi-final for the week-end semi-final V Galway. I think they are more focussed on the Fitzgibbon than the Walsh Cup and the Galway result bears this out. Hard to play a cup semi-final on Saturday then a big Fitzgibbon game on the following Thursday.

Presume playing for IT Carlow means he's not allowed play for Kilkenny in the Walsh Cup anyway. Maybe he'll get a shot in the league.

Once they are put out, can they come back onto the county squad? I'm not sure.

Yeah I've no idea what the rule is, was just assuming that was the situation, but you could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Yeah read this rule in the Kilkenny People at the start of the Walsh Cup. It basically states that the College team have priority over the county team for a player who is eligible for both. However once the team is knocked out of the Walsh Cup or the player is not deemed necessary by the College they can return to duty with the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

What kinda team would people like to see sunday?personally I'd like to see something similar to last weekend with tj and richie rested.The result isn't important so hopefully more fringe players will get game time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

When is the team being announced?

Johngoose wrote: »
    When is the team being announced?

For the last three matches it wasn't known till the day of the match when programmes were purchased so I'd be surprised if it changed

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

brookville wrote: »
    What kinda team would people like to see sunday?personally I'd like to see something similar to last weekend with tj and richie rested.The result isn't important so hopefully more fringe players will get game time

Seriously???

I personally just don’t understand this mentality. What has gone wrong with wanting to win EVERY game? As a previous poster said, all it will take is 16 games won in the whole year. What do players play the game for at this level?  Then we have lads posting that TJ and Richie etc. should be rested. The success of the Kilkenny jersey especially in the last two decades has always been trying to put the best players possible and available into the jersey. Do you really think these players want to rest? Or do the supporters want us to go like soccer and put out lesser teams for certain competitions?  Why enter at all if that is the case? We saw the result of that in the first round of the Walsh Cup in 2016. Try this player, try that lad. No player should pull on a Kilkenny jersey unless he has earned it. To do so belittles the jersey and what it stands for.  If the best players are available, put them on the field. That’s what they want.  Back in the day, if we played a game in a farmer’s field or someone’s yard, we wanted to win it, we didn’t play to lose. We didn’t go to the friend’s house to sit on a bench and watch the rest of the lads play. 16 county games in a year is very small (one every three weeks) for our top players or anyone interested in playing the game. Lovers of the game want to play at least every second or third day. Fortunately for Kilkenny supporters, the Kilkenny management team haven’t adopted the “soccer” mentality that it’s all about the one competition.  Dublin footballers likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    brookville wrote: »

Seriously???

I personally just don’t understand this mentality. What has gone wrong with wanting to win EVERY game? As a previous poster said, all it will take is 16 games won in the whole year. What do players play the game for at this level?  Then we have lads posting that TJ and Richie etc. should be rested. The success of the Kilkenny jersey especially in the last two decades has always been trying to put the best players possible and available into the jersey. Do you really think these players want to rest? Or do the supporters want us to go like soccer and put out lesser teams for certain competitions?  Why enter at all if that is the case? We saw the result of that in the first round of the Walsh Cup in 2016. Try this player, try that lad. No player should pull on a Kilkenny jersey unless he has earned it. To do so belittles the jersey and what it stands for.  If the best players are available, put them on the field. That’s what they want.  Back in the day, if we played a game in a farmer’s field or someone’s yard, we wanted to win it, we didn’t play to lose. We didn’t go to the friend’s house to sit on a bench and watch the rest of the lads play. 16 county games in a year is very small (one every three weeks) for our top players or anyone interested in playing the game. Lovers of the game want to play at least every second or third day. Fortunately for Kilkenny supporters, the Kilkenny management team haven’t adopted the “soccer” mentality that it’s all about the one competition.  Dublin footballers likewise.
    I agree predominantly with most of what this Hawkeye is saying here. What made Kilkenny so good over the last few years is that once a lad got a jersey for a game he went out with the intention of doing his utmost best to make sure that jersey was his again for the next game and thats what helped us develop great strength in depth of the panel over the years. Thats what so good about Cody is that reputation stands for nothing with him......and as far as he is concerned you are only as good as your last game played and everything depends on performances in training.
    However sometimes common sense does have to come into play. For instance I disagree completely with the inclusion of the colleges teams in the Walsh cup and I know it didnt happen this year but say if KK had to play one of the college teams I think it fair to say there would be no need to play a full strength available KK team as generally the gulf between the colleges team and county teams are huge and thats why there is so many one sided games. Get rid of the colleges teams from Walsh cup and let counties have full pick and then you should have more competive matches. There is absolutely nothing to be ever gained from full strength KK team going out and beating the likes of DIT/DCU by 30points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Seriously???

Very admirable attitude, also very naive and short sighted but admirable none the less.

Way off the mark on Dublin as well, they had what was at best a third pick playing in the O'Byrne cup this year.

One of KK main problems last year was a lack of depth in their panel, how on earth is simply putting out your strongest 15 every game going to address that, and 16 intercounty Senior games is not a very small number, ask someone like Richie Power what a schedule like that would do to the body, and thats not even going into the knock on affect on the clubs.

• Advertisement

danganabu wrote: »
    Seriously???

Very admirable attitude, also very naive and short sighted but admirable none the less.

Way off the mark on Dublin as well, they had what was at best a third pick playing in the O'Byrne cup this year.

One of KK main problems last year was a lack of depth in their panel, how on earth is simply putting out your strongest 15 every game going to address that, and 16 intercounty Senior games is not a very small number, ask someone like Richie Power what a schedule like that would do to the body, and thats not even going into the knock on affect on the clubs.
    Agreed it hard to develop strength in dept if you dont give lads a chance but thats where I think you cant say Cody doesnt give a lad a chance as he has always said do the biz in training and your chance will beckon.
    When people talk about strongest 15 you automatically assume the likes of TJ and Richie. Would people be of the opinion that these lads should automatically start every game for kk irrelevant of their form? The reason I ask this is because I was of the opinion that TJ forms dipped quite substantially last year for what ever reason after a quite impressive league campaign. I know he has extreme high standards and on his day in my opinion is the most complete hurler in the country currently playing but was there a case last year where dropping TJ might have helped to perhaps just help get him his mojo back?Or was it a case TJ simply had to start every game because the mans capabilities mean if needed he can win you the game on his own
    Just to clarify this is not a criticism of TJ one bit as I think he an absotlute fantastic hurler and this is more of a mis-management scenario in my opinion which I deem applicable to all the 'Automatic starters' on KK team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

What is the story with John Walsh, see Liam Blanchfield was taken off yesterday he was down as he scored a goal also it looks like things didn't go well for james maher last sunday maybe more game time might bring him on.lads talk about Tj , Ritchie, Padraig Walsh more of them if they are picked for sunday will have hurled three matches in a week he scored five points for Maynooth.

My take on it is the Walsh Cup is the best opportunity to give lads on the fringes a start and see how they go.

Maybe the management had to go with stronger teams out of necessity in the Walsh Cup as there was lads injured and with uni's etc. In a few of the games, KK had only 3 and 4 subs and in one instance, Shane P had to come back on again after being taken off. In saying that V Antrim i think, KK had 8 of the AI Final team playing so that was a very strong team.

Times have changed slightly since the mid 2000's. That was a super era - never to be repeated by any county. Now it seems to be a bit of transition - i think lads should be, when they get a chance, well up for it and push on.

Re TJ - I think he should have been rested but probably wanted to play and number wise, needed to play. He had a long 2 seasons the year before last, with club and county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭randd1

My take on it is the Walsh Cup is the best opportunity to give lads on the fringes a start and see how they go.

Maybe the management had to go with stronger teams out of necessity in the Walsh Cup as there was lads injured and with uni's etc. In a few of the games, KK had only 3 and 4 subs and in one instance, Shane P had to come back on again after being taken off. In saying that V Antrim i think, KK had 8 of the AI Final team playing so that was a very strong team.

Times have changed slightly since the mid 2000's. That was a super era - never to be repeated by any county. Now it seems to be a bit of transition - i think lads should be, when they get a chance, well up for it and push on.

Re TJ - I think he should have been rested but probably wanted to play and number wise, needed to play. He had a long 2 seasons the year before last, with club and county.

If I had my way I'd scrap the Walsh Cup and Munster League altogether an expand the national league to a 12 team round robin group.

Between challenge matches, pre-season tournaments and actual league games you'd have pretty much the same amount of games anyway, except more competitive games to try players out in. More money for county boards as well.

11 rounds, 1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd in league semi finals, 5th v 8th and 6th v 7th in league shield, and 9th v 12th an 11th v 12th in relegation playoffs. Semis and finals finish on the day, extra time then 1v1 penalties. Have the league, shield and relegation final on the same day in Thurles.

It would take 13 rounds to play it off altogether. If the first round started on the first weekend of February, ran for 5 weeks, had a weeks break, ran for 4 weeks, had a weeks break and ran for 4 weeks (SF's and finals included), you'd still only get to the second Sunday in May, replays being banned.

Think it would be far better for managers to try out players, teams would likely be settled coming into the championship, more games for supporters and more home games to boot, regular income for county boards, lower league teams get exposure to the top teams improving them, more money for counties like Wexford, Laois and Offaly to invest in underage, every team has at least one knockout game pre-championship, every big team will have faced each other that year and it would still end at a time of the year to facilitate a sensible county/club summer championship format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Good win for the cats considering they played most of the second half with 14 men after Lyng got a second yellow for something i don't believe the ref even saw. Joyce got motm snd deservedly so. Best match from him in a long time. Others to shine were Murphy (who was a late sub for R Reid), O Walsh, Richie, Lyng (first half) and John Joe. Galway should have won this but Flynn had a shocker on the frees and from open play. I counted at least 6 scoreable points missed.

A wins a win. I see 6 changes from programme team. Wonder why that was?

Richie Hogan on free duty. Good to see K Joyce getting MOTM. I'd say the ground etc. suits him moreso at this time of year. I think he's good but wish he'd lay the ball a bit quicker instead of taking on the man. Bit critical but he needs to work on pace over 5-10 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

citykat wrote: »
    Good win for the cats considering they played most of the second half with 14 men after Lyng got a second yellow for something i don't believe the ref even saw. Joyce got motm snd deservedly so. Best match from him in a long time. Others to shine were Murphy (who was a late sub for R Reid), O Walsh, Richie, Lyng (first half) and John Joe. Galway should have won this but Flynn had a shocker on the frees and from open play. I counted at least 6 scoreable points missed.

I thought Conor Fogarty did well for the half he was on. Paul Murphy was quiet at centre back and I see him returning to corner back where his experience is needed in the full back line. Robert Lennon is more a centre back than a full back at county level. Ollie Walsh deserves a run in midfield. I see TJ and Walter returning for next week along with Blanchfield and JonJo. Lester hurled a decent amount of ball today and will probably start.

blackcard wrote: »
    I thought Conor Fogarty did well for the half he was on. Paul Murphy was quiet at centre back and I see him returning to corner back where his experience is needed in the full back line. Robert Lennon is more a centre back than a full back at county level. Ollie Walsh deserves a run in midfield. I see TJ and Walter returning for next week along with Blanchfield and JonJo. Lester hurled a decent amount of ball today and will probably start.

Yeah. Agree on Fogarty. Got a nice score reminiscent of his point against Waterford. In fairness to him, O'Shea did ok when he came on for him. Think TJ has picked up some kind of injury so may not see him for a few weeks.

Anyone at the game give ratings on rhe players.also what sort of a team do u rhink we will field next week.

Murph 9
    Walsh 6
    Lennon 6
    Joey 6
    Murphy P 7
    Joyce 9
    Fogarty 8/O'Shea 7
    Walsh 8
    Lester 7
    Lyng 6
    Martin 6
    Malone 5
    Richie 9
    JohnJoe 8
    Leahy 5

Blanchfield 5
    Morrissey/Murphy not on long enough to rate

Thanks citykat.looks like ollie walsh as done best of the so called new players.would have hoped richie leahy would have pushed on.dont fancy paul murphy at centre back myself(im happy with joyce)looking forward to next weeks game as watetford have chopped and changed throughout the munster league.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Thanks citykat.looks like ollie walsh as done best of the so called new players.would have hoped richie leahy would have pushed on.dont fancy paul murphy at centre back myself(im happy with joyce)looking forward to next weeks game as watetford have chopped and changed throughout the munster league.

Murph went right half in the second half with Joyce centre. IMO there's plenty of time for Richie Leahy. He's only 20. Being part of the panel will bring him on no end. Richie's something of a late bloomer so if he stays on trend he could come through this year. It'll be interesting to see how Ollie goes this year. Along with Buckley he carried the Boro last year. Again he should benefit from a longer stretch with the panel this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Being generous to the full back line in your ratings there. Thought all 3 were very poor.

Wouldn't worry about Leahy yet, this time of year will not suit him but if he's to progress then the ball into him needs to be in front rather than lobbing ball on top of him.

Worried about James Maher. I know Glennon is fast but he absolutely dusted Maher in the last few mins when Maher was just on the field. Having seen him in a couple of club games late last year as well I hope the knee injury hasn't blunted him.

Would have liked to see john walsh and bolger (maybe we will during the league)my team for next week assuming no injuries.
    1 murph
    2p.murph
    3m walsh
    4joey
    5 p walsh
    6joyce
    7.ciallian
    8.lester
    9.o.wlsh
    10.tj
    11.walter
    12c.fennelly
    13.r. leahy
    14 jonjoe
    15.richie

Subs
    Blanch
    K.kelly
    E. Coady
    R. Lennon
    Pender
    C o shea
    A.murphy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

citykat wrote: »
    Murph 9
    Walsh 6
    Lennon 6
    Joey 6
    Murphy P 7
    Joyce 9
    Fogarty 8/O'Shea 7
    Walsh 8
    Lester 7
    Lyng 6
    Martin 6
    Malone 5
    Richie 9
    JohnJoe 8
    Leahy 5

Blanchfield 5
    Morrissey/Murphy not on long enough to rate

Think you are generous with your marks except for Blanchfield. Won a free which was scored, gave a great handpass for an Ollie Walsh point and battled well when kk had only 5 forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Anyone know when Ger Aylward will be back and also what is the story with Mick Fennelly, is he likely to play in the league?

Was not able to go to the match listening to the half time report on rte radio according to the reporter he was saying that Michael Malone was going very well he was one to look out for. As regards James Maher you wonder did he come back to soon last year playing club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hurlingma

Taken this from facebook, Worth a read if your following the lads involvement in the Fitzgibbon

Irish Gaa Banter Page
    Fitzgibbon Cup Round 2 Roundup
    Thursday, February 02, 2017
    (A) 19.00 ITC 0-18 v Mary I 0-18
    (A) 14.00 GMIT 0-10 v DIT 3-15
    (B) 14.00 UL 2-21 v NUIG 2-12
    (B) 14.00 DCU St Pats 0-10 v CIT 3-15
    (C) 19.00 Trinity 1-8 v WIT 4-15
    (C) 19.00 DCU 0-15 v Limerick IT 2-12
    (D) 14.00 UUJ 1-7 v Maynooth 4-23
    (D) 15.00 UCD 1-5 v UCC 1-8

A
    Mary I (+21): W D - DIT (A)
    ITC (+12): W D - GMIT(A)
    DIT (+2): L W - DIT (H)
    GMIT (-35): L L - MaryI (H)
    Mary I seem to have the top position in Group A wrapped up unless IT Carlow can overturn their 9 points deficit in points difference. It wouldn't be a surprise for IT Carlow to beat GMIT comprehensively, however we feel that Mary I will beat DIT by anything up to 10 points. IT Carlow would therefore need to beat GMIT by 20+ points to claim top spot. Mary I score 2-31 against GMIT so it is possible to do.

B
    UL (+22): W W - DCU Pats (A)
    NUIG (+2): W L - CIT (A)
    CIT (+1): L W - NUIG (H)
    DCU P (-29): L L - UL (H)
    UL will claim top spot here in group B, light a candle for DCU St.Pats the night before this one. Group B is all about who can claim second place and take the second quarter final spot. It really is 50/50 between CIT and NUIG. CIT will have home advantage but NUIG wont take much notice of this. We can't pick a winner in this one and it is probably the match of round 3.

C
    LIT (+29): W W - WIT (A)
    WIT (+9): L W - LIT (H)
    DCU (+4): W L - Trinity (A)
    Trinity (-42): L L - DCU (H)
    LIT will more than likely claim top spot in Group C bar WIT beating them and DCU hammering Trinity by 26 points. It is safe to say DCU will beat Trinity easily so if LIT beat WIT they will knock them out. It is possible that WIT beat LIT. LIT are defiantly strong favorites in this one. Every match is a knockout from here on in for WIT. If WIT beat LIT they also need DCU not to overtake them on points difference. Our predictions are LIT top the group and DCU get second place.

D
    UCC (+21): W W - Maynooth (A)
    Maynooth (+17): L W - UCC (H)
    UCD: (+5): W L - UUJ (A)
    UUJ: (-43): L L - UCC (H)
    UCC will also claim top spot here with a win over Maynooth. Maynooth wont be any pushovers but we expect UCC to have too much firepower. UCD will also beat UUJ quiet easily and claim second spot.

IGBP Current Power Rankings R1 & R2
    Overall: 1:LIT 2:UL 3:UCC/MaryI 4:Maynooth 5:IT Carlow
    Offence:1:UL 2:MaryI 3:LIT 4:IT Carlow 5 Maynooth
    Defence: 1:UCC 2:LIT 3:UCD 4:WIT 5:DCU

WoodenSpoon Race
    The Current leaders of the wooden spoon race are UUJ followed closely by Trinity college then in third place is GMIT.

IGBP Predicted QF's 14th Feb
    1. (1D) UCC vs DCU (C2)
    2. (C1) LIT vs UCD (D2)
    3. (B1) UL vs IT Carlow (A2)
    4. (A1) MIC vs NUIG/CIT (B2)

Irish Gaa Banter Page Snapchat: igbp32

Being generous to the full back line in your ratings there. Thought all 3 were very poor.

Wouldn't worry about Leahy yet, this time of year will not suit him but if he's to progress then the ball into him needs to be in front rather than lobbing ball on top of him.

Worried about James Maher. I know Glennon is fast but he absolutely dusted Maher in the last few mins when Maher was just on the field. Having seen him in a couple of club games late last year as well I hope the knee injury hasn't blunted him.

Full back line were under pressure in the second half. I put that down to the amount of ball coming from the Galway backs who had a numerical advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

I think Mick Fennelly will make it back. Also thiink Maher will be a star. Wonder about Ger Aylward though.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Any word on Ger Alyward lads? His name hasn't been mentioned in a while. Will he feature during the league? Great player to have to come back - fast and tenacious little bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Are there any lads coming through as an option for the full back line?

Michael Walsh is 100% not the answer at full back anyway I can tell you that much.

• Advertisement

unrealtime wrote: »
    I think Mick Fennelly will make it back. Also thiink Maher will be a star. Wonder about Ger Aylward though.
    I be very worried about the three of them hopefully I am wrong.

Was  not  able  to  go  to the  match  listening  to  the  half  time report  on  rte  radio  according  to  the  reporter  he was  saying  that  Michael Malone  was  going  very  well he  was  one  to look  out  for. As  regards  James  Maher  you  wonder  did  he  come  back  to  soon  last  year playing  club.
    Dont know what match that reporter was watching because Malone didnt do much to impress at all. Had one nice little flick pass in the first half nearly came off but other than that and bundling a few lads over he really more of a good club hurler standard. The full back line were def in bother and I am at my wits end as to try figure out what the solution is for full back.........Mick Walsh is strong but was sluggish at times and lacks pace. I thought Paul Murphy was good a centre back when played there and made some very good bursts out of defence and was always looking to delivery good ball into the forwards instead of aimlessly clearing. Richie H. looked very sharp even if he did over complicate things at times when trying to go for the sucker killer goal when probably bets option was to take the easy point. Jonjo was a real handful but other than that not too many of the other starting forwards made a big impression

Overall the walsh cup has being a usefull exercise especially for pat lyng and oillie walsh,both of them should start this weekend.
    It looks like joey is going to be tried at corner back and lennon tried at full back for the moment anyway with murphy and fogarty on the half back line.
    From what I heard on aylward he had a set back i think he rushed himself back for his club but should be back in a few months.Michael fennelly the same his determined to be back for the summer when we'll need everyone.
    Colin fennelly has nose injury and he might be available for this weekend.tj also has a small injury that's why he wasn't available yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

Full back line is the real worry at this point. Michael Walsh and Rob Lennon seem too slow on the turn whilst Joey was giving his man about five yard head start on a few occasions. Ollie Walsh, Joyce, Jonjo, Conor Fogarty and Eoin Murphy were the stand outs for me.

At times our half back line was getting dragged way to far out the field which is becoming a regular occurrence. Overall good to win the walsh cup and Cody as looked at a nice few players but definitely full back needed to be found during the league.

Full back line is the real worry at this point. Michael Walsh and Rob Lennon seem too slow on the turn whilst Joey was giving his man about five yard head start on a few occasions. Ollie Walsh, Joyce, Jonjo, Conor Fogarty and Eoin Murphy were the stand outs for me.

At times our half back line was getting dragged way to far out the field which is becoming a regular occurrence. Overall good to win the walsh cup and Cody as looked at a nice few players but definitely full back needed to be found during the league.

Id imagine when the management team sat down last year they have an idea who they have in mind for the few positions that need attention.
    I'm surprised evan coady hasn't seen any walsh cup action.Conor delaney was playing college I'd like to see him play some league,are jason cleere and John walsh injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

From what I've heard about injured lads
    Colin Fennelly- may not see game time until March
    Michael Fennelly- would be doing well to be back for the Championship
    Ger Aylward- the last thing I heard about him was that he was flying in training a few weeks ago.
    Jason Cleere- has a shoulder injury talk of possible surgery but hoping to avoid
    James Maher- as anyone who was at either of the last to games just wasn't at the races, don't think he's fit enough or sharp enough yet and will need to put in a big shift to get back to where he was
    TJ- just a niggle should be available
    Wally- same as TJ
    John Walsh- just don't think he's fit enough yet from what I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Full Back?
    I think a lot of lads are over reacting to the Full Back situation. One lad is "at his wits end". Relax.. Too many lads living in the fantasy world of thinking Kilkenny can pick up another Noel Hickey or JJ Delaney in the short term. That is not going to happen in the near future, but it can happen again. In the short term, the decision is simply figure out the best available. Kilkenny are no different to any other county.  Name the full back you would take from another county???
    Other counties will either throw back a sweeper to cover in front of their full back or make do with what they have and try to outscore the opposition and that includes the current All-Ireland champions.  The sweeper system is not working in the format used over the last number of years. (ask Waterford and Clare).  I personally like the "make do" option and outscore, it brings entertaining attacking hurling. We have the players to trouble the "make do" full backs. Hence maybe why we've seen Wally in the FF position a bit lately. Anyway, for the sake of debate, what full back would you take from another county who will be playing in 2017 and will this person make a massive difference and how?

Full Back?
    I think a lot of lads are over reacting to the Full Back situation. One lad is "at his wits end". Relax.. Too many lads living in the fantasy world of thinking Kilkenny can pick up another Noel Hickey or JJ Delaney in the short term. That is not going to happen in the near future, but it can happen again. In the short term, the decision is simply figure out the best available. Kilkenny are no different to any other county.  Name the full back you would take from another county???
    Other counties will either throw back a sweeper to cover in front of their full back or make do with what they have and try to outscore the opposition and that includes the current All-Ireland champions.  The sweeper system is not working in the format used over the last number of years. (ask Waterford and Clare).  I personally like the "make do" option and outscore, it brings entertaining attacking hurling. We have the players to trouble the "make do" full backs. Hence maybe why we've seen Wally in the FF position a bit lately. Anyway, for the sake of debate, what full back would you take from another county who will be playing in 2017 and will this person make a massive difference and how?

Good post above but I do think it's an issue.Joey only had one bad day at the office but he was never convincing and I think the management accept that and are trying him corner back now.it'll be interesting to see who's tried during the league,while lennon and walsh might go ok in these conditions I don't think there the anser.I wonder with fogarty being tried at half back could we c either buckley or padraig tried.
    Daithi burke is probably the best full back in the country while his not the most stylish his tough and fast and doesn't give much away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Full Back?
    James Barry might not be the best full back in the history of Tipperary Hurling ( I think he does an excellent job by the way) but he doesn't have to play against Seamie Callanan.
    Anyone we have available for the position at the moment are not up to that particular task imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Charlie69 wrote: »
    James Barry might not be the best full back in the history of Tipperary Hurling ( I think he does an excellent job by the way) but he doesn't have to play against Seamie Callanan.
    Anyone we have available for the position at the moment are not up to that particular task imo.

Callanan absolutely roasted him in the first half of a club game last summer, Barry couldn't get near him.

Why are people still suggesting Bucks for full back.. And now I see Padraig being put forward.. The reason JJ worked back there was because he was a phenomenal defender with a pure hurling brain. He was a completely different hurler to Bucks or Padraig. They are athletic attacking half backs. Pure hurlers who if they ever move from the halfback line will move forward not back. Both would have to curb every instinct they have to play full back and it would not work. Joey is still our best full back.

The entire thing hinges on our midfield. They need to sit in midfield and not get dragged forward. Bucks and Padraig want to go forward. If the midfield drifts up the field then they step forward as well and we end up with an acre in front of the full back line. Midfield needs to sit and force our half back line to hesitate in moving up the field

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement