Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Callanan absolutely roasted him in the first half of a club game last summer, Barry couldn't get near him.

Infairness to callanan on his day with good ball his unmarkable.he clipped jj for 6 points from play in the 14 drawn game and he got 2-3 in the replay if memory serves me right.
    I do agree that its highly unlikely that padraig or cillian will be moved positions when both have recent all stars but I don't think lennon or walsh are good enough for full back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

brookville wrote: »
    Infairness to callanan on his day with good ball his unmarkable.he clipped jj for 6 points from play in the 14 drawn game and he got 2-3 in the replay if memory serves me right.
    I do agree that its highly unlikely that padraig or cillian will be moved positions when both have recent all stars but I don't think lennon or walsh are good enough for full back
    That's true .... there's not a defender in the country could hold Callanan in that kind of form.

brookville wrote: »
    That's true .... there's not a defender in the country could hold Callanan in that kind of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ttowncat

While there are not many full backs out there that we could "transfer in" that'd be any better than what we have (daithi burke was the best out there last while Richie McCarthy gave jj a good run for the all star in '14) the real question is are there any full forwards out there that are as good as seamus Callanan at the moment? JJ Delaney was arguably one of the best hurlers our County ever produced and he could just about handle callanan(callanan 2014 onwards) He is faster than his stride looks, great feet and can shoot off the back foot with ease, strong to break through, strong in the air and a deadly finisher.. any full back's nightmare! While he has become a stronger ball winner in recent years (Noel McGrath used to joke that he couldn't win his own ball) he still fancies the perfect ball. Well he got that in buckets in last years final and if we had Colin or tj receiving the same space and passes then they would have made hay too. Tipp midfielders and defenders were obsessed with having a man coming out fast from defence with the opportunity to look up and give the perfect pass to to forwards who were at times dummy running one way and pointing the other and having it delivered perfectly. They were caught out once using this tactic against Galway in semi when Joseph cooney intercepted some inter back play to run in and score Galway's second goal. I think our corner forwards need to work more outside the 45 to force tipp to sky the ball down the field along with the half backs staying back with possibly a midfielder staying deeper to mind Joyce and Joey

I agree that joey stands off a yard too far but he can't follow callanan everywhere as he has to maintain a presence on the 14 as tipp or anyone could be one break or runner straight in for goal...

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Daithi Burke did a fair ould job on Callinan in the semi final so he can be marked

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Look up to the final last year joyce walsh and buckley had never finished on a losing team where all 3 started.joey will still do for me until we find a better option.not having mick fennelly was huge last september.anybody who witnessed his display in the semi final replay knows that.we dont need major surgery just a stich here and there.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/sport/234039/kilkenny-without-top-talent-for-waterford-tie.html

With a few players out it will give some fringe players a great opportunity to try stake a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I know I've said it before on here and most disagree but I think our answer to FB is Kieran Joyce.

The starting team I'd like to see start Sunday

E Murphy
    P Murphy, K Joyce, R Reid
    P Walsh, J Holden, C Buckley
    O Walsh, C Fogarty
    P Lyng, TJ Reid, R Hogan
    L Blanchfield, JJ Farrell, R Leahy

A Murphy
    M Walsh
    S Prendergast
    R Lennon
    C O'Shea
    E Cody
    C Delaney
    L Ryan
    M Bergin
    C Bolger
    S Morrissey
    J Maher
    J Walsh (if fit)
    J Cleere (if fit)
    J Lyng (if fit)

With Cody confirming yesterday that these lads won't make Sunday
    M Fennelly is out for a few months
    C Fennelly out for a few weeks nose surgery to correct breathing complaint
    G Aylward is going well but still rusty
    Wally hamstring niggle
    K Kelly hamstring niggle

Thats 4 first choice players (my 1st choice btw) missing but gives lads plenty of chance to play themselves onto the team

I know I've said it before on here and most disagree but I think our answer to FB is Kieran Joyce.

E Murphy
    O Walsh, C Fogarty
    P Lyng, TJ Reid, R Hogan

A Murphy
    M Walsh
    S Prendergast
    R Lennon
    C O'Shea
    E Cody
    C Delaney
    L Ryan
    M Bergin
    C Bolger
    S Morrissey
    J Maher
    J Walsh (if fit)
    J Cleere (if fit)
    J Lyng (if fit)

Wally hamstring niggle
    K Kelly hamstring niggle

Thats 4 first choice players (my 1st choice btw) missing but gives lads plenty of chance to play themselves onto the team

Joyce was very good at full back at under 21 level, certainly worth a try.
    He got roasted at full back by callanan in Nowlan park a couple of years ago but that was one week after the Rower had won the All-Ireland and he was still recovering from the celebrations I'd imagine.

E Murphy
    O Walsh, C Fogarty
    P Lyng, TJ Reid, R Hogan

A Murphy
    M Walsh
    S Prendergast
    R Lennon
    C O'Shea
    E Cody
    C Delaney
    L Ryan
    M Bergin
    C Bolger
    S Morrissey
    J Maher
    J Walsh (if fit)
    J Cleere (if fit)
    J Lyng (if fit)

Wally hamstring niggle
    K Kelly hamstring niggle

Going by the walsh cup it looks like joey will be tried corner back and paul murphy and fogarty on the hbl,I think cillian is also out for sunday
    Oillie walsh deserves a go at midfield while pat lyng impressed most for the newcomers during the walsh cup.i expect the team to something along the lines of murphy,
    joey,lennon,padraig
    joyce,murphy,fogarty
    oillie,lester
    leahy,lyng,tj
    blanchfield,farrell,hogan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

I think Joyce would be an excellent old style full back i.e he would have thrived there 12+ years ago.
    But the game has changed, forwards more than ever are trying to create space. There aren't many big men full forwards anymore who just stand on the edge of the square for 70 mins. So full and corner backs need to be mobile. Joyce just doesn't fit the bill in that regard.
    The most natural full back in the county is John Dalton but sadly that ship has sailed.
    I suspect Joey will be there again come summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I've heard Joyce is doing private training to improve his mobility, if last week was anything to go by it's starting to work for him.

I've heard Joyce is doing private training to improve his mobility, if last week was anything to go by it's starting to work for him.

Happy to hear this as he probably has a point to prove after last year being dropped for the waterford replay and taken off in the final granted he wasn't our worst defender.

Ike joyce,whole hearted player.if hes doing xtra to improve great for him.u17s playing waterford at 11.30 on sunday in james park before the league game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Team announced for Sunday:

E Murphy
    J Holden P Walsh C O Shea
    P Murphy K Joyce C Buckley
    O Walsh C Fogarty
    P Lyng TJ Reid S Morrissey
    JJ Farrell L Blanchfield R Hogan

Subs R Reid R Lennon M Walsh S Prendergast E Cody L Ryan P Deegan C Martin R Leahy W Walsh A Murphy

E Murphy
    O Walsh C Fogarty

Subs R Reid R Lennon M Walsh S Prendergast E Cody L Ryan P Deegan C Martin R Leahy W Walsh A Murphy

Padraig walsh full back i said it a few pages back that himself or bucks could tried at 3.it's going to be interesting to see how this goes but certainly worth a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Now that's an interesting team. Odd that Leahy isn't getting a run, did someone say he's been injured or something? Anyway it'll be interesting to see how Walsh gets on at full back if they play him there alright. Also Ollie Walsh at midfield, hope he can eke out a place on the team for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I presume Murphy will move back there and PW will move to the wing.

Now that's an interesting team. Odd that Leahy isn't getting a run, did someone say he's been injured or something? Anyway it'll be interesting to see how Walsh gets on at full back if they play him there alright. Also Ollie Walsh at midfield, hope he can eke out a place on the team for the future.

Leahy will get his chance,hopefully the new lads go well sunday.I'm surprised scanlon not on the panel he could be injured,james maher not on the panel either he'll probably have to get fitter

• Advertisement

I presume Murphy will move back there and PW will move to the wing.

Murphy will hardy want to go to 3 it didn't work out in 2015.I'd say he'll try padraig for a game or two to see if it's an option?

Maybe Leahy get a run with 20mins to go when lads on both sides tire a bit.

Hard to know if Padraig will play at 3 - I suppose it depends on who Waterford play at 14.

I think Padraig is good where he's at but could be worth a try.  I love TJ hitting a quick 30 yard free to the wing as Padraig takes it without breaking stride and popping it over the bar.  Can't see that happening if he's full back!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's worth a shot putting him there, we need to try something. I was against Buckley or Walsh there as they're both lads who are all about using space and pace, and pushing forward. But maybe he's the right man to mark callinan? That's what it all boils down to this year at that position really, have you someone who can take away tipps best weapon. Worth trying lads out

It's worth a shot putting him there, we need to try something. I was against Buckley or Walsh there as they're both lads who are all about using space and pace, and pushing forward. But maybe he's the right man to mark callinan? That's what it all boils down to this year at that position really, have you someone who can take away tipps best weapon. Worth trying lads out

Definitely worth trying these things in the league anyway same as murphy half back.conor o shea is a coady type corner back but probably lacks pace,he got a run around last year against clare so hopefully he can learn from that

Tom Devine named at ff for the Deise.

• Advertisement

I think Murphy, Holden and Walsh will revert back to their more familiar positions of 2,3 and 5 respectfully... which is maybe not the answer long term but I don't like any of them in the positions they've been selected for this game.

Like the look of that team.think o shea could be the new jackie.p walsh at fiull back will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

Like that Cody is trying things, somebody at the match last week was saying that Conor o Shea could make a full back, wonder will he slip in there at some point. Padraig would be one of the more mobile options for full back so now is the time to try the experiment. Nice mix of experienced heads and new guys so looking forward to it now. Won't be easy game but its important to win home games and we only have two this year so it would be good to start well

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

E Murphy
    O Walsh C Fogarty

Its a long time since 3 under 21s started a league match in the forward line for Kilkenny so it will be interesting to see how that goes. Im a little suprised that Robert Lennon doesnt start, id imagine this is because they want to give Conor O Shea a start but if Brian really was sure about him at full or centre back I think he would have started tomorrow.

Seems to me from the teams selected so far that while the management are looking for new forwards and midfielders, that the same playes will be used in the backs possibly in different positions, with the replacement of Shane Prendergast if Lennon, O Shea or Walsh can show enough form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Its a long time since 3 under 21s started a league match in the forward line for Kilkenny so it will be interesting to see how that goes. Im a little suprised that Robert Lennon doesnt start, id imagine this is because they want to give Conor O Shea a start but if Brian really was sure about him at full or centre back I think he would have started tomorrow.

Seems to me from the teams selected so far that while the management are looking for new forwards and midfielders, that the same playes will be used in the backs possibly in different positions, with the replacement of Shane Prendergast if Lennon, O Shea or Walsh can show enough form.

What I would have liked to se tomorrow is as follows:

E Murphy
    P Murphy
    P Walsh
    J Holden
    K Joyce
    C Buckley
    C Fogarty
    O Walsh
    L Ryan
    P Lyng
    TJ Reid
    R Leahy
    R Hogan
    L Blanchfield
    JJ Farrell

Evan cody to hopefully get a run out
    Walter to be rested as he is not 100%
    I think conor Fogarty could turn out to be a super left half back
    Sean morrissey to feature
    Robert lennon only in the half back line if needed
    I don't know why conor delaney is not part of any panel thus far as he would also strengthen up the reserves in the backs. Maybe he is injured??

E Murphy
    P Murphy
    P Walsh
    J Holden
    K Joyce
    C Buckley
    C Fogarty
    O Walsh
    L Ryan
    P Lyng
    TJ Reid
    R Leahy
    R Hogan
    L Blanchfield
    JJ Farrell

I don't know why conor delaney is not part of any panel thus far as he would also strengthen up the reserves in the backs. Maybe he is injured??

He wasnt playing for DCU last week so Id imagine that he is injured.

E Murphy
    P Murphy
    P Walsh
    J Holden
    K Joyce
    C Buckley
    C Fogarty
    O Walsh
    L Ryan
    P Lyng
    TJ Reid
    R Leahy
    R Hogan
    L Blanchfield
    JJ Farrell

I also like the look at the above team.Im nearly certain conor delaney is injured.I hope the likes of chris bolger,john walsh and jason cleere see league time

Lennon is on the bench with 6 on his back and Joyce is 17 so I'd imagine its a late injury to Lennon that has ruled him out

Lennon is on the bench with 6 on his back and Joyce is 17 so I'd imagine its a late injury to Lennon that has ruled him out

Considering joyces performance last week and the fact that he seems to have improved mobility he does give the team more options to put padraig back in the full back line alongside Paul Murphy and possibly joey holden. BIf chance for conor o shea tomorrow.
    Pay lyng looks decent but tougher tests lie ahead.
    James maher needs another month of fitness I think. Blanchfield has an opportunity tomorrow too. Richie leahy needs to be in midfield or the half forward line. Doesn't have the space that he needs in corner forward.
    Ger aylward also needs another month.
    It does bode well that the following look like genuine contenders.......

Pat Lyng
    Ollie Walsh
    Richie Leahy
    Sean morrissey with a bit more time
    James maher
    Hopefully conor o shea
    Hopefully Evan cody
    Ditto conor delaney, luke scanlon and john walsh
    Along with robert lennon as an option in the half back line and the effectiveness of conor Fogarty if moved to number 7 there should be decent competition for places in the backs and definitely in the forwards.
    Add to that the fact that lester gives everything and his distribution has improved, michael fennelly will have a big input come championship if the lads can get some momentum the signs are good

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Anyone else think that Tipp will do a clean sweep this year - league, munster and all ireland. They have a forward line to be envious of. If you really think about it only TJ and R.Hogan would make their forward line. It's their forward line that will probably bring them a 3 in a row All Ireland

Anyone else think that Tipp will do a clean sweep this year - league, munster and all ireland. They have a forward line to be envious of. If you really think about it only TJ and R.Hogan would make their forward line. It's their forward line that will probably bring them a 3 in a row All Ireland

Getting a bit ahead of yourself.. They're clearly favourites but talking about 3 in a rows after they win the first one is premature. They're beatable - I maintain that their half forward line and full back line are their weak points and can be exploited.

They're arrogant enough over there there's no need for us to talk them up.

Getting a bit ahead of yourself.. They're clearly favourites but talking about 3 in a rows after they win the first one is premature. They're beatable - I maintain that their half forward line and full back line are their weak points and can be exploited.

Agree with that, I think a team like Galway would fancy themselves against this Tipp team far more then they ever did in an All Ireland against us, Tipp do give teams chances, a pretty average Limerick team were only beaten by 3 points against them last year. That been said they are deserved favourites for the league and all Ireland this year. I do think that at least one of ourselves, Clare, Galway or Waterford will run them close in a championship match this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

To be fair, they did play 50 mins with 14 against Limerick and conceded a late consolation goal.

Outside of the Galway game, they were by far and away the best team all year.

• Advertisement

To be fair, they did play 50 mins with 14 against Limerick and conceded a late consolation goal.

Outside of the Galway game, they were by far and away the best team all year.

Which is why I said they deserve to be favourites and emphasised Galway to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I'm all for talking them up. The higher the better.

Tipp 1-24 dublin 1-08
    Tipp looked impressive enough but ger cunningham has his work cut out with dublin.
    Cork with a handy win v clare.
    We need a good start today against the deise.
    Best of luck to the new lads making their league debuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Tipp 1-24 dublin 1-08
    Tipp looked impressive enough but ger cunningham has his work cut out with dublin.
    Cork with a handy win v clare.
    We need a good start today against the deise.
    Best of luck to the new lads making their league debuts.

Ye'd like a good start but don't think ye need it, ye'll beat Cork, Dublin and Clare anyway I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Il never understand why TJ tries to drill the frees low over the crossbar. Hes making easy scoreable frees much harder. Missed a handy one on the 45 just now

Lads our backs are all over the place. Doesn't bode well

Forwards not much better either

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Tis a very poor match, lots of mistakes from both teams.

If we can concentrate on the match and not taking out the waterford players we might have a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ttowncat

Richie hogan blew it at the end, Jonjo, morrisey, Buckley very very poor. P Walsh did well at full back, bar slipping a lot. Ref was very fussy with his yellow cards but then again a few Waterford lads lucky not to get reds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement