Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Yea I read it like that as well. I do think Kilkenny games are reffed differently than other games but we've benefitted from that over the years (not refereeing decisions themselves but more so letting the game become a battle).

Regardless of this, just a note on our fans attitude to referees: this booing in the crowd when we don't get a decision is pathetic. I hate it, it's childish and achieves nothing.

I think in fairness there was booing on Sunday but it was when Waterford took an extra 5mins plus at half time.

You always get a reaction like booing (I totally agree, it shouldn't happen) when a team doesn't get a clear free for a wild challenge etc. and the crowd are wound up. That's a natural reaction. It happens in all sports unfortunately.

On another issue - Why do Waterford management continue to appeal every decision and/or line ball etc. I was behind them and every sideline and free, Dan was in the linesman's ear. He even tried to claim a 65 near the end for KK was a wide ball after it came off a WF hurl. Dan was beside it yet run up the line waving a wide.

brookville wrote: »
    Delighted for dj great achievement for carlow with no big superstars.i thought dj could of got involved with the minors or u21s
    I noticed brian troy from emeralds full back on the ul team it's a fair achievement considering the inter county players on their team.I remember he struggled to make the u21 team 2 years ago.what's he like now?
    Kevin kelly played about 40 mins today while chris bolger got 1-1

I saw them against Meath in the Walsh Cup in Dunganny and they were really good. They were 12 points up and conceded 3 goals in the second half. Won by 1 point in the end but hurled really well apart from the lapses in the second half when they switched off. I suppose it has stood to them in a way and DJ and Dempsey probably used that in the rest of their games.

Kevin Kelly was different class in mid-field that night. Everything went through him and he kept everything so simple. Bolger was decent in the corner. Got a goal. Seems to be a bit of a poacher - a skill that's hard to coach.

Not sure he's an option for KK's midfield though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I think in fairness there was booing on Sunday but it was when Waterford took an extra 5mins plus at half time.

You always get a reaction like booing (I totally agree, it shouldn't happen) when a team doesn't get a clear free for a wild challenge etc. and the crowd are wound up. That's a natural reaction. It happens in all sports unfortunately.

On another issue - Why do Waterford management continue to appeal every decision and/or line ball etc. I was behind them and every sideline and free, Dan was in the linesman's ear. He even tried to claim a 65 near the end for KK was a wide ball after it came off a WF hurl. Dan was beside it yet run up the line waving a wide.

To be fair these accusations etc of KK booing are a bit silly at this stage, there is a certain element from every county that partake in this behaviour and I include by own county in that, but this is again an example of where KK are victims of their own success, simple fact is they play more high profile games, than anyone else so such behaviour gets noticed more.

The Waterford line have been like that for quite some time and the only other county that I have seen as bad was Clare under Davy, we are always told that the referee will never change his mind, which is true but sadly this behaviour can and does have an effect on referees when it comes to the next or subsequent decisions. People will say it shows passion etc, for me it shows a complete lack of respect and when taken too far like Davy and Dan a lack of class.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

danganabu wrote: »
    To be fair these accusations etc of KK booing are a bit silly at this stage, there is a certain element from every county that partake in this behaviour and I include by own county in that, but this is again an example of where KK are victims of their own success, simple fact is they play more high profile games, than anyone else so such behaviour gets noticed more.

The Waterford line have been like that for quite some time and the only other county that I have seen as bad was Clare under Davy, we are always told that the referee will never change his mind, which is true but sadly this behaviour can and does have an effect on referees when it comes to the next or subsequent decisions. People will say it shows passion etc, for me it shows a complete lack of respect and when taken too far like Davy and Dan a lack of class.

Dan's facial expression and the sticking out of his tongue to the correct 65 decision in the second half said alot about the merit of his protestations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Any update on Liam Blanchfields injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

It call the siege mentally...its all they know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

He reminds me of that muppet in the Happy Monday's Bez or something that used to dance and do **** all apart from that.
    Waterford are unreal, have been at countless matches involving them since the 90s and you would swear they have one ten all irelands in the last 50 years. Talk about getting carried away!
    They have a fantastic team and I expect them to get over the line eventually but they still have this shirt kissing mentality that was there with Mullane and Eoin Kelly. While Shanahan is around winding the players up this will continue, their focus is on the ref and the linesman rather than the game.
    Derek McGrath is a cooler operator but needs to ditch Bez.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Poor Dan was confused. It was so cold on Sunday he had to wear a beanie instead of his trademark back to front baseball cap. Try as he might he probably couldn't tell if the beanie was back to front or right way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Two things: one I know Dan goes overboard, but Cody gets very animated on the line also and I don't see the same vitriol spouted. Dan may be worse but it's the same thing.

Two, in what way are the Waterford players " too concerned with the referee and linesman"? Absoulte **** talk

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Lads. Getting back to this weekend we don't have any lads back yet from injury/colleges so it's the same personnel for this weekend.

Only changes probably in the half forward line.
    Walter replacing sean morrissey and Richie leahy replacing pat Lyng????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Could be worse he could have the county board financially bailing him out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Lads. Getting back to this weekend we don't have any lads back yet from injury/colleges so it's the same personnel for this weekend.

I see conor delaney played college midweek so maybe himself and scanlon could be drafted into the panel with their respective colleges now knocked out and with lester out for a few weeks and question marks over pat lyng and blanchfield
    I'd like to see leahy start although he probably needs more time to bulk up but it's important fringe players get league time to strengthen the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Liam Blanchefield is surely out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Shannahan needs to stop trying to be the new davy.as for this wèekend touch needs to be better and why are we not playing college players(other counties playing them)also kelly played for clare last week even though ballyea are in the final.same with brennan he played football for clare last sunday week.so if we want to blood college players pick them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

Tony Kelly played colleges midweek too.. Exactly, play them.. How long before my own club man Diarmuid is back? Not mentioned here at all.

Kilkenny should beat a Clare the weekend by 3+, i know now why Davy played the sweeper system with Clare, there backs are dreadful.

Tony Kelly will hardly line out ? If i was Ballyhea manager i wouldn't let him near cusack park, especially as Brian will be in the players ears all week about getting bullied by Waterford

Village87 wrote: »
    Tony Kelly played colleges midweek too.. Exactly, play them.. How long before my own club man Diarmuid is back? Not mentioned here at all.

Kilkenny should beat a Clare the weekend by 3+, i know now why Davy played the sweeper system with Clare, there backs are dreadful.

Tony Kelly will hardly line out ? If i was Ballyhea manager i wouldn't let him near cusack park, especially as Brian will be in the players ears all week about getting bullied by Waterford

Ennis has always being a tricky venue for us but if clare are missing kelly,galvin,mcgrath and a few more players we really should be winning.I'd like to see a few players bloodied during the league.
    What's the latest on john walsh or jason cleere?
    I heard ger alyward and joe lyng are nearing a return

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

According to hoganstand the club finals can be streamed via aib.ie/gaa or via the aib youtube channel tomorrow.

Best to luck to both Mooncoin and Carrickshock

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

I think that particular experiment is finished, don't think we'll be seeing him back again.

According to hoganstand the club finals can be streamed via aib.ie/gaa or via the aib youtube channel tomorrow.

Best to luck to both Mooncoin and Carrickshock

Two tough match ups for them. Would expect both to be 50-50 games. Carrickshock will be looking to make amends for losing the 2005(I think?) final to a late late come back against Kildangan of Tipp.

• Advertisement

Django99 wrote: »
    Two tough match ups for them. Would expect both to be 50-50 games. Carrickshock will be looking to make amends for losing the 2005(I think?) final to a late late come back against Kildangan of Tipp.

Correct and right, a rather glorious day if I do say so myself :D

danganabu wrote: »
    Correct and right, a rather glorious day if I do say so myself :D

How many points behind were ye? I remember Carrickshock were absolutely gutted to have been so close. Kildangan are a serious enough outfit senior these days by all accounts. Carrickshock not so much.

In a strange way the team they have now kind of mirrors that one. At the time Power, Rice, Tennyson and Dalton were only coming on to the Kilkenny team. It looks like the Shocks would become a serious Senior team. Never really fulfilled their potential.

The same guys are still leading the team after all this time, the club is only at the same stage once again. And the calibre younger players they have coming through is no where near as good.

Django99 wrote: »
    How many points behind were ye? I remember Carrickshock were absolutely gutted to have been so close. Kildangan are a serious enough outfit senior these days by all accounts. Carrickshock not so much.

In a strange way the team they have now kind of mirrors that one. At the time Power, Rice, Tennyson and Dalton were only coming on to the Kilkenny team. It looks like the Shocks would become a serious Senior team. Never really fulfilled their potential.

The same guys are still leading the team after all this time, the club is only at the same stage once again. And the calibre younger players they have coming through is no where near as good.

We scored 2-01 in injury time to win by 3pts, John Tennyson gave an incredible display that day at Full Back but got injured with about 10 mins to go and they left him on and he was playing with one arm! We would not have won if he hadn't got injured imo.

We were runners up in Tipp this year and have won 4 North tiles since coming up, there are 3 players from that day still playing senior - Darragh Egan, Tommy Connors and Hughie Flannery.

Don't think cody will play luke scanlon or conor delaney this weekend even though they are definitely worth a shot and need to be playing at this level. They just need a bit of experience. Also it's a pity Evan cody of dicksboro hasn't got a run in the backs. He has been on the panel for the galway match and the waterford match. Delaney and cody will form 2 of our 6 backs in within the next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

First off it's Ballyea, secondly if Kilkenny had played a sweeper they mightn't have been embarassed against Tipp in the final and Clare in the league last season. Ye're backs are fairly muck too!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

danganabu wrote:
    We scored 2-01 in injury time to win by 3pts, John Tennyson gave an incredible display that day at Full Back but got injured with about 10 mins to go and they left him on and he was playing with one arm! We would not have won if he hadn't got injured imo.

I remember that. Think he broke his collarbone or put it out of place and shocks moved him out to half back. He would only have been about 18 at the time and was some beast. Pity some of his mobilty was robbed by injuries as the man had some talent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Presumed Tennyson must have been older than that in 2005, wasn't he starting centre back for Kilkenny the next year, ahead of Brian hogan who was about 24 or 25 at that stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You're right about the injuries though, and how tough he was. I remember Niall McCarthy shouldering him retreater at the start of the 2006 final to test him, his response was the first sign for me that we were going to bate them that day against all the odds

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Not 100% tbh. I had thought that year was the 1st year himself, dalton and power were out of minor but I might be a year or 2 off. Hes 31or 2 now

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

buck65 wrote: »
    First off it's Ballyea, secondly if Kilkenny had played a sweeper they mightn't have been embarassed against Tipp in the final and Clare in the league last season. Ye're backs are fairly muck too!

I think you need to learn to take certain comments with a pinch of salt. I think the village in question may be a bit west of Mullinahone.

Kilkenny won a provincial final and reached an all ireland final in 2016. I would have thought that would have been seen as a successfull year in Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil. v Clare
    E Murphy
    E Cody P Walsh C o Shea
    J Holden P Murphy K Joyce
    C Fogarty C Buckley
    L Blanchfield TJ Reid R Leahy
    R Hogan W Walsh K Kelly
    Subs.
    R Reid
    S Prendergast
    M Walsh
    R Lennon
    C Delaney
    P Deegan
    O Walsh
    JJ Farrell
    C Martin
    S Morrissey
    J Maher

• Advertisement

Kil. v Clare
    E Murphy
    E Cody P Walsh C o Shea
    C Fogarty C Buckley
    R Hogan W Walsh K Kelly
    Subs.
    R Reid
    S Prendergast
    M Walsh
    R Lennon
    C Delaney
    P Deegan
    O Walsh
    JJ Farrell
    C Martin
    S Morrissey
    J Maher

Goof to see Evan cody corner back. Great opportunity for him.
    Buckley will deliver in decent ball and having walter on the edge of the square will lose a threat. Good to also see conor delaney on the subs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Kil. v Clare
    E Murphy
    E Cody P Walsh C o Shea
    C Fogarty C Buckley
    R Hogan W Walsh K Kelly
    Subs.
    R Reid
    S Prendergast
    M Walsh
    R Lennon
    C Delaney
    P Deegan
    O Walsh
    JJ Farrell
    C Martin
    S Morrissey
    J Maher

Blanchfield is hardly playing with that broken jaw he got off the bully of a full back last week?

Blanchfield is hardly playing with that broken jaw he got off the bully of a full back last week?

Are you sure the jaw was broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Who from Kilkenny suggested he had a broken jaw?

Kil. v Clare
    E Murphy
    E Cody P Walsh C o Shea
    C Fogarty C Buckley
    R Hogan W Walsh K Kelly
    Subs.
    R Reid
    S Prendergast
    M Walsh
    R Lennon
    C Delaney
    P Deegan
    O Walsh
    JJ Farrell
    C Martin
    S Morrissey
    J Maher

I expected cody to get a chance corner back while delaney will see action in the coming weeks.
    I'm surprised kevin kelly only lasted 40 odd minutes mid week could be fit enough for sunday unless cody is hoping he can reproduce the same performance against clare a few years ago in the park.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Who from Kilkenny suggested he had a broken jaw?

One thing is for sure. We will improve as the league goes on. Hopefully the lads will hurl well in ennis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Tough on Ollie. He wasn't the worst last week.

citykat wrote: »
    Tough on Ollie. He wasn't the worst last week.

You're right citykat. No disrespect to paddy deegan but ollie was better and unlucky to be called ashore

If we could get the following team/panel settled for the championship we won't be far away.

1 Eoin Murphy
    2 Paul Murphy
    3 Padraig Walsh
    4 Evan Cody
    5 joey holden
    6 Cilian Buckley
    7 Kieran Joyce
    8 Mick Fennelly
    9 Conor Fogarty
    10 TJ Reid
    11 Walter Walsh
    12 Richie leahy
    13 Richie Hogan
    14 Kevin Kelly
    15 Colin Fennelly

16 Richie Reid
    17 Conor Delaney
    18 Robert Lennon
    19 Shane Prendergast
    20 Conor o Shea
    21 Lester Ryan
    22 Ollie Walsh
    23 Pat Lyng
    24 James Maher
    25 John Joe Farrell
    26 Ger Aylward
    27 Luke Scanlon
    28 John Walsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Do you really think John Power won't be on the match day panel?!

I had forgotten about him myself to be honest when I was thinking about who was to come back in.

• Advertisement

Kil. v Clare
    E Murphy
    E Cody P Walsh C o Shea
    C Fogarty C Buckley
    R Hogan W Walsh K Kelly
    Subs.
    R Reid
    S Prendergast
    M Walsh
    R Lennon
    C Delaney
    P Deegan
    O Walsh
    JJ Farrell
    C Martin
    S Morrissey
    J Maher

I expected cody to get a chance corner back while delaney will see action in the coming weeks.
    I'm surprised kevin kelly only lasted 40 odd minutes mid week could be fit enough for sunday unless cody is hoping he can reproduce the same performance against clare a few years ago in the park.

Yeah, he only played 40mins for Carlow IT.

Chris Bolger??

Chris Bolger??

Ye are right lads.

John power will be there or thereabouts and chris bolger will more than likely make the panel.
    We're a bit short on backs but hopefully the younger lads that are sure to get game time wil make an impression

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

Has Padraig Walsh much expirence at full back? Our own James Barry has done a good job and is of similar stature so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭letowski

Has Padraig Walsh much expirence at full back? Our own James Barry has done a good job and is of similar stature so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

This will be a interesting one for ye guys to see how he gets on. Clare have moved John Conlon to the edge of the square for this one, he was causing rack this time last year at 14, also against ye in the semi too. He was off the pace last week, but he should at least test Walsh's physical and aerial attributes for the full back position.

Ye are right lads.

John power will be there or thereabouts and chris bolger will more than likely make the panel.
    We're a bit short on backs but hopefully the younger lads that are sure to get game time wil make an impression

Mark bergin will also be on that panel and kevin farrell has had a good club campaign with the shocks his probably being their most consistent performer
    I'm surprised a few more young defenders haven't being called into the senior panel,I always liked ciarian wallace from comer anytime I've seen him,Tommy walsh has a huge reputation and darren and kevin mullen both were impressive for bhale last year although it looks like adrian mullen is a serious prospect

Mark bergin will also be on that panel and kevin farrell has had a good club campaign with the shocks his probably being their most consistent performer
    I'm surprised a few more young defenders haven't being called into the senior panel,I always liked ciarian wallace from comer anytime I've seen him,Tommy walsh has a huge reputation and darren and kevin mullen both were impressive for bhale last year although it looks like adrian mullen is a serious
    prospect

When you look at potential panelists of course mark bergin will be there.
    The mullens will make the panel but probably not this year. Ditto tommy walsh.
    If conor delaney and Evan cody make a breakthrough thus year then that would be super

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

If Michael Fennelly plays much part this year I'll be surprised

Whatever part mick fennelly plays won't happen till end may start june

• Advertisement

I agree - best way is to plan that he'll not be there until very late in year, if at all.

Need to get a settled spirit and settled team. Especially in defence. Good to see management trying to change things and player different lads in different positions.

Sunday should see a huge improvement. I can't see our touch being as bad V Clare.

I am really hoping to see us creating goal chances - and taking them. Goals are huge in these early league games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement