Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Eoin Larkin @11larkyNot good enough from Kk.still reliant on experienced lads. Younger lads need to have the attitude NEVER give up.too many standing around11:00 AM - 19 Feb 2017  3838 Retweets  8080 likes

Larkin not impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

No matter how bad ye were today ye'll still beat us especially at home. We have so many passengers it's hard to know where to begin. If ye lose to us ye definitely are in serious trouble.

Not knowing anything about Hogan's current form but he has had a lot of injuries from the past which are bound to take its toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

davidx40 wrote: »
    High balls up to these forwards will never work ,agree walter walsh is stone useless under high ball ,this thing of hitting balls on top of him is complete waste , we dont seem to know how to play a ball to favour a forward .I just cant see things improving we have problem positions all down the centre

Infairness to padraig he couldn't be faulted but the experiment with murphy doesn't seem to working he may go back to corner back.
    It's going to be interesting to c how they respond from this and what team he picks and maybe it's no harm we've a week off but the cork match is huge but you'd worry about corks forwards pace against some of our slow backs

danganabu wrote: »
    Tipp started with just 6 of last years AI final team, but I do think Waterford were a bit off the boil after their exertions against ye the week before.

Possibly true and I know it's only mid february and the league is very inconsistent unlike previous years when your waiting for a few big names to come back and steady the ship it's not the case this time we can't be expecting mick fennelly to change things at this stage of his career but the bigger problem is none of the younger crew are putting their hands up.if we had to go down with a load young lads and get bet like that you wouldn't be as worried

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Kilkenny are clearly are not the force they once where, Larkin suggesting players not standing up, perhaps the players are not there or are not the quality of previous times.

The lack of marquee forwards coming through is a worry, quick and wristy hurlers with any eye for a score. Tipp have them as do clare wateford etc. As said, the use/distribution of the ball has to be much better at this level. There is clearly a lack of mobility in the team at present.

It is still early days and I think now the pundits will write kilkenny off. This might suit kilkenny a quiet build up to championship and with a couple of players to return, they may be still best equipped to beat Tipp who will be the team to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

It's a good job we have a 2 week break to the Cork game in NP.

In both games so far, we are very slow out of the blocks and have been 5 or 6 pts down before we start. Why is that? If teams score a goal against us early on they will win the game.

Also we can't seem to have a concerted period of play i.e. score a burst of points. We seem to score a couple then from a puck out, the opposition seem to go straight down the field and pick off a handy score - back to square 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Right.. Optimism first:
    Kilkennys year is planned to peak in August. All Mick Dempseys hard work is done around this time of the year with August and September in mind. That was grand a few years ago when our players were so naturally gifted that we could still win at 60%. That luxury isn't there anymore but it would explain the lethargy.

Realist:
    The team is slow. Fact. I would only consider Bucks and Colin Fennelly fast from our entire panel. I'm massively negative on the move of Padraig to full back. I want the players playing in their best positions and by moving him back and moving Murphy out we've weakened both lines. Play Paul Murphy at 2, play last years half back line and settle on a full back for the year whether that's Holden or Lennon just do it. Pender shouldnt be near the team, he's a liability. But the biggest thing is the ball into the forwards. Again, this wasn't an issue when we were better than everyone but now we and the management team have to adapt.

Also, as much as I loved him as a hurler we don't need Larkin sounding off on Twitter about the lads. Helps noone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭randd1

I hope that there's a big improvement in two weeks time. As it is we're going to probably need two wins and a draw to avoid relegation, especially given we have a minus 14 point total from 2 games.

Unless Cody can work the oracle and a few of the new lads start getting physical and putting themselves about, 1B is looming. With Galway there next year unless Wexford screw up somehow, it could even be a struggle to get out of that if the slide goes down further.

The next three games are vital for the younger lads to stand up, and for some of the established players to find form.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

randd1 wrote: »
    I hope that there's a big improvement in two weeks time. As it is we're going to probably need two wins and a draw to avoid relegation, especially given we have a minus 14 point total from 2 games.

Unless Cody can work the oracle and a few of the new lads start getting physical and putting themselves about, 1B is looming. With Galway there next year unless Wexford screw up somehow, it could even be a struggle to get out of that if the slide goes down further.

The next three games are vital for the younger lads to stand up, and for some of the established players to find form.

Avoid the relegation play off you mean, which we will be in even if we get 0 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Right.. Optimism first:
    Kilkennys year is planned to peak in August. All Mick Dempseys hard work is done around this time of the year with August and September in mind. That was grand a few years ago when our players were so naturally gifted that we could still win at 60%. That luxury isn't there anymore but it would explain the lethargy.

Realist:
    The team is slow. Fact. I would only consider Bucks and Colin Fennelly fast from our entire panel. I'm massively negative on the move of Padraig to full back. I want the players playing in their best positions and by moving him back and moving Murphy out we've weakened both lines. Play Paul Murphy at 2, play last years half back line and settle on a full back for the year whether that's Holden or Lennon just do it. Pender shouldnt be near the team, he's a liability. But the biggest thing is the ball into the forwards. Again, this wasn't an issue when we were better than everyone but now we and the management team have to adapt.

Also, as much as I loved him as a hurler we don't need Larkin sounding off on Twitter about the lads. Helps noone.
    Agree with all of this, especially about Shane Pender... lovely lad but seriously exposed last year at this level and he's not going to improve at his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Jeesh. Some lads need to get a grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

citykat wrote: »
    Jeesh. Some lads need to get a grip.

world gone mad , last week cork were all ireland contenders , this week kilkenny are heading for the christy ring cup , i understand the talk about transition but in fairness some of the panic is unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Can't agree that Kk are heading for the ring cup - yet

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Mulbert

unrealtime wrote:
    Can't agree that Kk are heading for the ring cup - yet

Obviously not, but I'd say Davy Fitz likes what he's seen. Kilkenny in a qualifier again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Clare have far better ball strikers than Kilkenny in my opinion. Most of them can hit the ball off their left and right hand sides. Kilkenny are lacking in that area I think.

• Advertisement

Mulbert wrote: »
    Obviously not, but I'd say Davy Fitz likes what he's seen. Kilkenny in a qualifier again?

not a hope , ye had a worse league two years ago narrowly beating us in the play off , ye had a fairly ok championship after that , ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ttowncat

I read somewhere but I need someone to confirm it: Is the league this year a straight relegation for bottom place or is it still a play off between the bottom two?

ttowncat wrote: »
    I read somewhere but I need someone to confirm it: Is the league this year a straight relegation for bottom place or is it still a play off between the bottom two?

nearly certain there still is but there is no fixture planed on the gaa website http://www.gaa.ie/hurling/hurling-league-roinn-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Wont get to down after today.I was in coek last night and they were as bad as us today.have said sll along that we should stick with last years half back line keep murphy in the corner and look at full back and left corner.fogarty midfield with 1 other .tj richie walter 3 given forwards for me.other 3 spots up for grabs.were moving 3 certain starters out of there best positions to fill other gaps and its not working.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Wont get to down after today.I was in coek last night and they were as bad as us today.have said sll along that we should stick with last years half back line keep murphy in the corner and look at full back and left corner.fogarty midfield with 1 other .tj richie walter 3 given forwards for me.other 3 spots up for grabs.were moving 3 certain starters out of there best positions to fill other gaps and its not working.

The problem with this is we haven't got 6 players to step up or near stepping up.Management don't trust joey at 3 anymore,corner back is a issue aswell while o shea,michael walsh etc will be ok in these conditions they'll be cleaned in the summer.
    Up front I can't understand how the likes of chris bolger isn't ahead of a few subs who have seen league and walsh cup action.
    Richie hogan looks like a man who isn't enjoying his hurling at the moment

• Advertisement

Agree re chris bolger.much better than kelly imo.agree walsh and o shea will be to slow in the summer.colin ger awlyard and bolger would be my 3 to add to tj richie and walter.maybe john walsh if he is fit.backs like I said we have 4 and surely we can find 2.would keep joey at full until a better alternative comes along.

ttowncat wrote: »

no relegation playoff this year , as i heard before but wasnt sure , this is from the offical gaa website makes sense really , and makes the next game against cork huge for the cats

Allianz_Leagues_to_be_condensed_in_2017.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Watching the warm up before the match, I knew it was going to be a hiding when 6 or 7 lads in a row couldn't even rise the ball first time with no one around them in a drill. They all looked totally off, it was flat even before the game. I wasn't surprised we were 6 points down after 3 minutes.

I'd like to see us start by putting players in their best positions. Paul Murphy just seems lost at center back (and was lost at full back last year) but is probably the best corner back in the country. Padraig Walsh is wasted at full back, but tried his best there today. I wish we'd show some trust in lads like that have been around the setup for a while like Robert Lennon, James Maher, Ger Alyward. Lennon did very well in the Leinster final last year and has barely been seen since.

For the Cork game, I'd like to see

1. E. Murphy

2. P. Murphy
    3. R. Lennon
    4. C. O'Shea

5. P. Walsh
    6. K. Joyce
    7. C. Buckley

8. C. Fogarty
    9. O. Walsh

10. TJ Reid
    11. R. Hogan
    12. J. Maher

13. L. Blanchfield
    14. K. Kelly
    15. G. Alyward

With A. Murphy, R.Maher, L. Scanlon, P.Lyng (assuming he is ok) to come in depending on how it's going. Luke Scanlon and Alan Murphy need to be given a run, they are talented and can't perform worse than any of the lads today. I heard Walter was struggling with a hamstring injury, so I doubt he'll be back in 2 weeks.

Sure, there is not the talent there of past years, but there are lads there with potential. What worried me was that there was zero will to fight. They just gave up in the last 15 mins after the penalty miss. That's the most alarming thing by far for me. I hope Cody won't stand for it. It doesn't matter if you are 30 points down with 2 minutes to go, you still f*cking try and have pride enough in the jersey to fight to the death.

v3ttel wrote: »
    Watching the warm up before the match, I knew it was going to be a hiding when 6 or 7 lads in a row couldn't even rise the ball first time with no one around them in a drill. They all looked totally off, it was flat even before the game. I wasn't surprised we were 6 points down after 3 minutes.

I'd like to see us start by putting players in their best positions. Paul Murphy just seems lost at center back (and was lost at full back last year) but is probably the best corner back in the country. Padraig Walsh is wasted at full back, but tried his best there today. I wish we'd show some trust in lads like that have been around the setup for a while like Robert Lennon, James Maher, Ger Alyward. Lennon did very well in the Leinster final last year and has barely been seen since.

For the Cork game, I'd like to see

1. E. Murphy

2. P. Murphy
    3. R. Lennon
    4. C. O'Shea

5. P. Walsh
    6. K. Joyce
    7. C. Buckley

8. C. Fogarty
    9. O. Walsh

10. TJ Reid
    11. R. Hogan
    12. J. Maher

13. L. Blanchfield
    14. K. Kelly
    15. G. Alyward

With A. Murphy, R.Maher, L. Scanlon, P.Lyng (assuming he is ok) to come in depending on how it's going. Luke Scanlon and Alan Murphy need to be given a run, they are talented and can't perform worse than any of the lads today. I heard Walter was struggling with a hamstring injury, so I doubt he'll be back in 2 weeks.

Sure, there is not the talent there of past years, but there are lads there with potential. What worried me was that there was zero will to fight. They just gave up in the last 15 mins after the penalty miss. That's the most alarming thing by far for me. I hope Cody won't stand for it. It doesn't matter if you are 30 points down with 2 minutes to go, you still f*cking try and have pride enough in the jersey to fight to the death.

in my opinion the league is all about trying to find your best team for the championship while being competitive , playing so many players out of possition didnt help but better to find that out now , also kilkenny picked up a number of injuries either side of half time when they were coming back into the game , it broke there structure altogether .

if the penalty had been scored it would have been a close finish , what should annoy kilkenny supporters though was how quick players were in throwing in the towel especially after ritchie had gone off

you mentioned walter , was expecting a good game from him today , it seems he only plays well when he is on the edge of being dropped or being heavily criticized , he was awful today two lads in midfield played well though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Agree re chris bolger.much better than kelly imo.agree walsh and o shea will be to slow in the summer.colin ger awlyard and bolger would be my 3 to add to tj richie and walter.maybe john walsh if he is fit.backs like I said we have 4 and surely we can find 2.would keep joey at full until a better alternative comes along.

Gud God Chris Bolger seems to be the answer,from what I have seen of him
    He v like aylward, needs perfect precision ball to make an impact on a game

no relegation playoff this year , as i heard before but wasnt sure , this is from the offical gaa website makes sense really , and makes the next game against cork huge for the cats

Allianz_Leagues_to_be_condensed_in_2017.jpg

That could just be the match between the team that was bottom of 1B and top of 2A, not the actual relegation playoff for dropping down to 1B

68deville wrote: »
    Gud God Chris Bolger seems to be the answer,from what I have seen of him
    He v like aylward, needs perfect precision ball to make an impact on a game

I think Aylward at his best and when fit offers more than that, he was an all star 2 years ago after all. I do think that Chris Bolgers reputation might be a bit overstated but he deserves a chance to impress.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    I think Aylward at his best and when fit offers more than that, he was an all star 2 years ago after all. I do think that Chris Bolgers reputation might be a bit overstated but he deserves a chance to impress.

Joey got an allstar also and I think his reputation allstar included as a bit overstated

Joey got an allstar also and I think his reputation allstar included as a bit overstated

No sure what Joey Holden has got to do with Ger Aylward, beyond that Joey was an all star in 2015 and his reputation fell since, Ger got a deserved all star in 2015, not much he could do about thing last year with a cruciate in jury, id take him over Kelly, Bolger, Farrell or any on the younger lads.

No sure what Joey Holden has got to do with Ger Aylward, beyond that Joey was an all star in 2015 and his reputation fell since, Ger got a deserved all star in 2015, not much he could do about thing last year with a cruciate in jury, id take him over Kelly, Bolger, Farrell or any on the younger lads.

Joey got an allstar having murphy joined to his hip, when he had to stand alone he got utterly cleaned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Joey got an allstar having murphy joined to his hip, when he had to stand alone he got utterly cleaned
    Yeah but what has that to do with Aylward?

That could just be the match between the team that was bottom of 1B and top of 2A, not the actual relegation playoff for dropping down to 1B

probably , i am not sure but i imagine there will be a play off for the bottom 2 , i dont think either your county or mine want to even consider contesting that match , i expect ye to beat cork next week and that should start to put ye back on track again

Yeah but what has that to do with Aylward?

He still involved?

Tipp perspective on Kilkenny's current form, i think there will be an adjustment period while the youngsters get the bit of experience but Kilkenny will come out the other side sooner than later. I honestly think come summer time they will be at the business end of the championship and the upcoming games will bring the lads a long way. Fair to say it will be tougher this year more than any other year of Cody's tenure and if im being completely honest they don't look as strong or equipped for ourselves or Waterford at this present moment in time but in time i think they will put together a strong side that will be competitive within the next 2-3 years if not sooner.

There is fierce pressure on the new lads to deliver id imagine and there is probably a chasm between those who have left and those who are coming through. Mick Fennelly is probably the most experienced of the lot and he has had his injury problems. Ger Aylward and James Maher have been quite unlucky too. They could add a hell of alot to Kilkenny's arsenal as could John Power who is on club duty with Carrickshock.

Cody walked into an experienced team back in 1998 who needed to realise their potential at the time and had a golden crop following those lads which stretched their long reign to the maximum limits. Its different now. The unbelievable team they had have all dropped off one by one there is a gap until the new generation of top players filter through.

Kilkenny had a core of 6 top class players that retired in the subsequent 3 seasons after the 2014 final (Larkin, Tommy Walsh, Tyrell, Delaney, Shefflin, Richie Power). The guys that remain aside from Eoin Murphy, Paul Murphy, the Fennelly's, Padraic Walsh and one or two others are not in the same league so its up to the new boys to step up now.

I wouldnt paint it all doom and gloom for Kilkenny. In a county where hurling is number one id imagine there is the personnel and expertise in abundance to get them back to elite level asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

Where are our Leaders :

Now that a lot of the greats are retired its time for leaders to step up when we need them:

Eoin Murphy: Doing Great
    Padraig Walsh: Doing Great
    Joey Holden: Not near up to it
    Joyce: Doing OK this year, have my doubts
    Paul Murphy: Very poor centre back, looks uncoordinated. Put him back in the corner to mark someone
    Cillian Buckley: Better in midfield, doing ok
    Conor Fogarty: Really need him to do something with Mick Fennelly gone, terrible so far, again skill level and striking is slow and deliberate
    TJ: doing good, but nearly 30 now
    R Hogan: Trying hard.
    Wally Walsh: Great year last year when needed him, hard to judge so far.

That is the list of men that are essentially the leaders this year, younger guys will filter in around them. I stated before that Murphy and Fogarty need to up there performances now that a lot of the teams that were back boned by all Ireland winners are retired: Both very disappointing so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

On the subject of where lads should play, Kevin Kelly should play further out the field. Corner forward (or full) is not the place for him. Cody should have a chat with DJ about where his best position is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    On the subject of where lads should play, Kevin Kelly should play further out the field. Corner forward (or full) is not the place for him. Cody should have a chat with DJ about where his best position is.

I saw him playing mid-field for Carlow IT v Meath in Walsh Cup. Played really well there but it was only 1 game in mid Jan.

How about the following team, injury permitting for the last few rounds

E Murphy

P Murphy P Walsh J Holden

K Joyce C Buckley C Fogarty

K Kelly O Walsh

W Walsh C Fennelly TJ Reid

L Blanchfield R Hogan C Bolger

If aylward was fit and available id put him in instead of Bolger.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Village87 wrote: »
    Kilkenny should beat a Clare the weekend by 3+, i know now why Davy played the sweeper system with Clare, there backs are dreadful.

bump

• Advertisement

Padraig is about 6 foot, don't know his weight but I agree Barry looks bigger.

much smaller than that. 5 - 10 max is my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭suirway

It's very clear at this stage as it was 6 months ago that certain players are just not up to it. What is baffling is the fact that this was so obvious in last year's championship yet the view has been taken that a few switches here and there will cure the ills.

One would have expected an influx of the genuine promising defenders in the county yet the extent of the change has been to swap Padraig Walsh and Paul Murphy at the expense of both.

Where is Jason Cleere for example?? He was an absolute dominant colleges and minor at centre back. Surely he is worth a look at or is he injured or otherwise? Ditto Tommy Walsh. Dominant at full back on all three of Kierans winning All Ireland team yet no sign. No doubt he is young but surely at a time when we are crying out for half backs and corner backs with real hurling pedigree we need to look at such players.
    Where is Diarmuid Cody? Might have his detractors but again could not be worse than what we are witnessing..

We all know Cody is an absolute legend but certainly facing greatest challenge now..

Answers on a post card please!

What would be the benifit of that? It clearly wont happen, just interested in what you think the rest of the management could do?

take the blame presumably.

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Eoin Larkin @11larkyNot good enough from Kk.still reliant on experienced lads. Younger lads need to have the attitude NEVER give up.too many standing around11:00 AM - 19 Feb 2017  3838 Retweets  8080 likes

Larkin not impressed

very nasty comment considering reid Hogan and walsh showed zero leadership to the young players. the three of them were totally dominated by every player they came up against in a clare defence that could conceivably have three changes to it before we play championship with david Mcinerney parick o connor Patrick donnellan and Conor Ryan all to come into contention without even including the three backs from Ballyea in the conversation

bump

4 all ireland this decade, 4 all irelands in the history of hurling, bump, but sadly yesterday doesnt even prove that your backline isnt poor, despite how much they dominated, will need to see Clare again against a team with at least one fast forward to make a judgement

How about the following team, injury permitting for the last few rounds

E Murphy

P Murphy P Walsh J Holden

K Joyce C Buckley C Fogarty

K Kelly O Walsh

W Walsh C Fennelly TJ Reid

L Blanchfield R Hogan C Bolger

If aylward was fit and available id put him in instead of Bolger.

Good team but I would bring padraig out and change with joyce.joyce seems a natural full back more so than padraig.whether bolger is good enough is a matter of opinion at the moment(but he must be tried)also he has a eye for a goal.morrrisey leahy martin malone have all been tried in front of him.

• Advertisement

4 all ireland this decade, 4 all irelands in the history of hurling, bump, but sadly yesterday doesnt even prove that your backline isnt poor, despite how much they dominated, will need to see Clare again against a team with at least one fast forward to make a judgement

I agree but against that we have played two games , one against a fast set of forwards and one against a slow set and between the two games we have allowed maybe three goal chances.

the other factor is that we could maybe pick 6 different backs for a game
    ie
    paul Flanagan Patrick O connor jack browne
    david mcinerney conor ryan gearoid o Connell

and they might hold the same kilkenny forward line on current form so there is a chance from those 12 players we might get 6 who will be hard to score against
    after all 3 of the above named players started in the 2013 all Ireland final and the other 3 will be playing in the all Ireland club final this year and that's without selecting a donnellan who captained the side in 2013.

tony Kelly and conor McGrath also to come into consideration

I agree but against that we have played two games , one against a fast set of forwards and one against a slow set and between the two games we have allowed maybe three goal chances.

the other factor is that we could maybe pick 6 different backs for a game
    ie
    paul Flanagan Patrick O connor jack browne
    david mcinerney conor ryan gearoid o Connell

and they might hold the same kilkenny forward line on current form so there is a chance from those 12 players we might get 6 who will be hard to score against
    after all 3 of the above named players started in the 2013 all Ireland final and the other 3 will be playing in the all Ireland club final this year and that's without selecting a donnellan who captained the side in 2013.

tony Kelly and conor McGrath also to come into consideration

Well im not sure how much interest that is on the Kilkenny hurling forum but I hope you do well and cause Tipp/Waterford some problems this year, for geographical reasons and the fact that there is not a huge amount of championship history between the teams, Clare winning the all ireland probably stings the least of the other main counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

E Murphy

P Murphy ? ?

P Walsh ? ?

Buckley Fogarty(only cause Mick Fennelly is out)

W Walsh R Hogan Colin Fen

K Kelly Tj Ger Aylward

Can somebody fill in the 4 blanks for me please ?

suirway wrote: »
    It's very clear at this stage as it was 6 months ago that certain players are just not up to it. What is baffling is the fact that this was so obvious in last year's championship yet the view has been taken that a few switches here and there will cure the ills.

One would have expected an influx of the genuine promising defenders in the county yet the extent of the change has been to swap Padraig Walsh and Paul Murphy at the expense of both.

Where is Jason Cleere for example?? He was an absolute dominant colleges and minor at centre back. Surely he is worth a look at or is he injured or otherwise? Ditto Tommy Walsh. Dominant at full back on all three of Kierans winning All Ireland team yet no sign. No doubt he is young but surely at a time when we are crying out for half backs and corner backs with real hurling pedigree we need to look at such players.
    Where is Diarmuid Cody? Might have his detractors but again could not be worse than what we are witnessing..

We all know Cody is an absolute legend but certainly facing greatest challenge now..

Answers on a post card please!

I agree with most of this but is jason cleere not currently injured?No need for huge panic but a concern none the less,as I said above if it was a 2nd string team I wouldn't be as concerned.
    I said it a few months ago I can't understand how a few more defenders weren't called in

Village87 wrote: »
    E Murphy

P Murphy ? ?

P Walsh ? ?

Buckley Fogarty(only cause Mick Fennelly is out)

W Walsh R Hogan Colin Fen

K Kelly Tj Ger Aylward

Can somebody fill in the 4 blanks for me please ?

I wouldn't dismiss joyce but joey is only getting by at this level,he had great protection from murphy,He'll probably have to put murphy back corner back and he could leave padraig at 3 but we probably need padraig at 5 or maybe we need him in the fowards?
    I know lads have mixed reviews bout bolger but as someone else said his better than conor martin,sean morrissey and michael malone (who wasn't listed since the walsh cup) at least himself and john walsh are goal getters

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement