Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Interesting case up for mention in the district court this week. Concerns an alleged assault on a player during the 2015 Junior county final. Adjourned to later in the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

So we all agree so about Gers value - good.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

citykat wrote: »
    Interesting case up for mention in the district court this week. Concerns an alleged assault on a player during the 2015 Junior county final. Adjourned to later in the month.

Was that the Luke Harvey incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Django99 wrote: »
    Was that the Luke Harvey incident?

I think you mean luke harney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

unrealtime wrote: »
    An All Star scoring machine as recognised by his peers of course
    So we all agree so about Gers value - good.

No, your first statement above is hyperbolic, blinkered, wishful thinking or in short par for the course for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

buck65 wrote: »
    Cody is happy to wield the axe himself when someone's not performing and certainly seems to enjoy his status in the game as a bit of an ogre. Disappointing that he would mete favourable treatment to his own son. People always reference his dropping of Charlie Carter, mcEvoy and at a later stage Pete Barry and Cha Fitzpatrick. Very easy to do with a conveyer belt of talent behind you.

Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I heard chris bolger is not on the Kilkenny panel at the moment can anyone confirm this?id be suprised if this was the case as i thought he would of got gametime first and he was good for his club,he hasn't being making the match day squad which was concerning for him.hopefully this isn't true as I was hoping he would play a few league matches

danganabu wrote: »
    No, your first statement above is hyperbolic, blinkered, wishful thinking or in short par for the course for you ;)

Maybe its just his opinion tho?? If he rates him that highly surely he is entitled to say so, it may be an exaggeration even if 2015 and a reasonable underage career does provide some support to his point, but how do you know it was deliberate exaggeration, maybe you are just the type of person who loves using the word "hyperbolic"

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Maybe its just his opinion tho?? If he rates him that highly surely he is entitled to say so, it may be an exaggeration even if 2015 and a reasonable underage career does provide some support to his point, but how do you know it was deliberate exaggeration, maybe you are just the type of person who loves using the word "hyperbolic"

And what I have offered is my opinion, I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make here??

• Advertisement

And what I have offered is my opinion, I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make here??

Im just curious as to why you are attacking his opinion so strongly and using such emotive words as hyperbolic, hope thats clear, im not questioning your opinion that the original comment was an exaggeration, which you are of course entiltled to state.

Im just curious as to why you are attacking his opinion so strongly and using such emotive words as hyperbolic, hope thats clear, im not questioning your opinion that the original comment was an exaggeration, which you are of course entiltled to state.

Hyperbole has the exact same meaning as exaggeration, I'm not sure why you feel it was any more emotive or strong?

I already stated that I fully agreed with, I think it was, dubcat who stated that a returning Aylward in 2015 form would be a big improvement on last year, but a scoring machine is a bit OTT, answer me this, would he make the Tipp FF line?

Without a doubt

Without a doubt

Instead of??

Hyperbole has the exact same meaning as exaggeration, I'm not sure why you feel it was any more emotive or strong?

I already stated that I fully agreed with, I think it was, dubcat who stated that a returning Aylward in 2015 form would be a big improvement on last year, but a scoring machine is a bit OTT, answer me this, would he make the Tipp FF line?

I think it suggests he deliberately exaggerated and was slightly strong, but maybe thats just me, at the moment he clearly he wouldnt get into the Tipp FF line

Moving away from your question in late 2015, I think he would have got into the Tipp team, is a type of player that we are lacking at the moment and I hope he recovers fitness and get back into the team this year.

I think it suggests he deliberately exaggerated and was slightly strong, but maybe thats just me, at the moment he clearly he wouldnt get into the Tipp FF line

Moving away from your question in late 2015, I think he would have got into the Tipp team, is a type of player that we are lacking at the moment and I hope he recovers fitness and get back into the team this year.

Can't argue with that.

But look at his latest post he says that he would make the current Tipp FF line, so my accusation of hyperbole doesn't seem so strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 thelittleman

kilkenny have great talent coming through, surely they are favourites for u21 with there great bunch of talent!

kilkenny have great talent coming through, surely they are favourites for u21 with there great bunch of talent!

I wouldn't say favourites but definitely this year's crop will be strong backboned with the 14 minors that won the all ireland and a few more like pat lyng who weren't on the team. We've dublin at home but dublin have gone with a lot of youngsters in their senior team so this should also help their development and bring them up to speed

brookville wrote: »
    I wouldn't say favourites but definitely this year's crop will be strong backboned with the 14 minors that won the all ireland and a few more like pat lyng who weren't on the team. We've dublin at home but dublin have gone with a lot of youngsters in their senior team so this should also help their development and bring them up to speed

Pretty sure Pat Lyng was on the team playing half back, Richie Leahy was an unused sub tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thelittleman

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

I agree with that.good bet for u21s imo

• Advertisement

Correct

Yer correct sorry I was thinking of him in the forwards.The fowards could probaly look like like leahy,lyng,morrissey,walsh,blanchfield,murphy all who are in with the seniors.scanlon,cleere,delaney and tommy walsh who are all in with the seniors and most have intermediate experience last summer with the county should hopefully stand to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Yer correct sorry I was thinking of him in the forwards.The fowards could probaly look like like leahy,lyng,morrissey,walsh,blanchfield,murphy all who are in with the seniors.scanlon,cleere,delaney and tommy walsh who are all in with the seniors and most have intermediate experience last summer with the county should hopefully stand to them

We really should have a strong team this year at U-21, even with the forwards named there, which are really strong, you have the likes of Billy Ryan, Andrew Gaffney and Ronan Corcoran to add into that. At the back then we've the likes of Tommy Walsh, Conor Delaney, Huw Lawlor, the 2 Mullen's, Michael Cody, Jason Cleere, Ryan Bergin, Luke Scanlon, Conor Browne for the backs/Midfield area and Darren Brennan in goals we should have a really strong team. If we don't do well this year at U-21 level it's definitely not down to a lack of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Mankbag

An All Star scoring machine as recognised by his peers of course

When and how was he "recognised by his peers"?

More messing with team against Cork - Cody needs to get a grip

Whats the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Who is going to go between the sticks if something God forbid happens to Murphy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Whats the team?

E Murphy
    P Murphy, P Walsh, C O'Shea
    C Fogarty, J Cleese, K Joyce
    C Buckley, P Deegan
    TJ Reid, C Fennelly, R Leahy
    R Hogan, C Martin, W Walsh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Posters around here need to get a grip. The league is the perfect time to "mess around with the team"

After the All Ireland last year everyone was crying out for new players to be tried.

This is what trying new players looks like. If we want to play our strongest tea every week, yes we will do better in the league but likely be beaten in similar fashion in August or September.

Team is here:

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/1918

adrian522 wrote: »
    Posters around here need to get a grip. The league is the perfect time to "mess around with the team"

After the All Ireland last year everyone was crying out for new players to be tried.

This is what trying new players looks like. If we want to play our strongest tea every week, yes we will do better in the league but likely be beaten in similar fashion in August or September.

Team is here:

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/1918

Great opportunity for jason cleere I think he has potential to be a very good number six,obviously richie reid is injured which is a shame as he needs a few games.
    Paul murphy back in his rightful position and number 4 is up for grabs I would like to see delaney at 4.
    Overall I'm happy with the team conor martin getting a chance he'd want to start taking it as I feel there's better fowards around.
    I posted during the week i heard chris bolger isn't on the panel it's looks to be the case now

J Cleese, !!

Lol. Don't mention the war.

• Advertisement

Fair team.as stated by other posters martin really has to take this chance.cork full back line is poor so hopefully we can shut down their short passing running game and push on.

Who is going to go between the sticks if something God forbid happens to Murphy?

Have no fear. Be brave. Richie Reid is an excellent keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Reid not listed amongst the subs

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Alan murphy will double up as sub keeper I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Are people on this for real favourites for u21??? and westmeath bet us last year ....some people on here have blinkered views about kk hurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think you need to get a grip tbh!!

davidx40 wrote: »
    Are people on this for real favourites for u21??? and westmeath bet us last year ....some people on here have blinkered views about kk hurling

Who said we were favourites? But lets explore all of the facts David before being sensational, the team won the All Ireland at under 18 level, some of the players have 3 senior collages medals, were missing 3 of their best players in the match against Westmeath, and lets be fair Westmeath were a decent team, imaginary lines on a map cant prevent a county from having a decent team every once and a while.

I dont think we are favourites but we have talented players as evidenced by the fact that we had more players involved this year at fitzgibbon and freshers level in collages competition this year, which increasingly is the true measure of underage talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Some of the posters earlier said we were favourites , which i just cant agree with....i do think we are over rating a lot of our players coming true ...there is no real stand out player ....

Who said we were favourites? But lets explore all of the facts David before being sensational, the team won the All Ireland at under 18 level, some of the players have 3 senior collages medals, were missing 3 of their best players in the match against Westmeath, and lets be fair Westmeath were a decent team, imaginary lines on a map cant prevent a county from having a decent team every once and a while.

I dont think we are favourites but we have talented players as evidenced by the fact that we had more players involved this year at fitzgibbon and freshers level in collages competition this year, which increasingly is the true measure of underage talent.

It's the 1st time in a long that so many u21s are on the senior panel.Two starting sunday 4 on the subs and lyng injured while scanlon and walsh will be near the squad
    This certainly doesn't guarantee success at u21 and can sometimes upset the u21 squad when the senior players return but I'd be hopefull this crop can deliver a leinster title

• Advertisement

davidx40 wrote: »
    Some of the posters earlier said we were favourites , which i just cant agree with....i do think we are over rating a lot of our players coming true ...there is no real stand out player ....

I dont think they did but to be fair they did say we had a great chance, was Eddie Brennan, Martin Comerford, Derek Lyng, Jackie Tyrell and even Henry Shefflin a stand out player coming out of minor, I think its too early to say either way but personally I think Blanchfield, Morrisey, Scanlon, cleere, Walsh, delaney, lyng, leahy, mullen and cody are above the average talented Kilkenny underage player and could turn out great, depends on how they deal with pressure and how their bodies can cope with the physical demands of modern intercounty hurling.

Reid not listed amongst the subs

Well if Richie can't make it brother Murphy can step up. Outside of the panel, I'd have no worries with Brennan, Murphy (OLG) or Duggan. Scruff is numero uno but any of the others mentioned have plenty of ability.

citykat wrote: »
    Well if Richie can't make it brother Murphy can step up. Outside of the panel, I'd have no worries with Brennan, Murphy (OLG) or Duggan. Scruff is numero uno but any of the others mentioned have plenty of ability.

Seems to be a lot of injuries at the moment lester obviously out but john joe,michael walsh,pat lyng,rob lennon and kevin kelly not part of the squad for sunday

Seems to be a lot of injuries at the moment lester obviously out but john joe,michael walsh,pat lyng,rob lennon and kevin kelly not part of the squad for sunday

Hopefully Jason Cleer will show promise tomorrow as we would benefit from having a new strong number 6

Hopefully Jason Cleer will show promise tomorrow as we would benefit from having a new strong number 6

Hopefully he goes well it's his first game of the year coming back from injury. Conor o shea will have his hand full with cadogan but this weather could slow him down.
    Paul murphy back corner back should strengthen the full back line and cleere should have two good wing men to help him out with buckley probably helping out

Hopefully he goes well it's his first game of the year coming back from injury. Conor o shea will have his hand full with cadogan but this weather could slow him down.
    Paul murphy back corner back should strengthen the full back line and cleere should have two good wing men to help him out with buckley probably helping out

With Cleere still u21 it's a great opportunity for him tomorrow. Good hurler with plenty of awareness. Got motm award v Thurles in all ireland final a few years ago. Hopefully there will be a never say die attitude tomorrow even if things are not going to plan. I think it's only a matter of time that these guys will start creating opportunities for our forwards but the forwards need to be constantly on the move looking for the right ball to make use themselves or bring others into play.
    Hopefully conor martin is able to work well in full with walter and Richie beside him.

• Advertisement

Dont think anyone said we were favourites for u21 title(im sure were not)however we should have s squad to give it a real go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thebigmann

Kilkenny would be the top 2 in the under 21 championship along with waterford, limerick have lost arguably there best player in barry nash who's opted to go to america for the duration of the summer,

thebigmann wrote: »
    Kilkenny would be the top 2 in the under 21 championship along with waterford, limerick have lost arguably there best player in barry nash who's opted to go to america for the duration of the summer,

Id imagine dublin will fancy their chances with a lot currently on the senior panel. I know con o callaghan is focusing on football but if he was to play u21 hurling he'd also be a big help

Dublin will be strong at 21s but with the game in nowlan pk would expect us to overcome them.

Interesting articles from nick brennan, dj Carey and brian cody in the last couple of days.
    Carey and Brennan going on the basis that a lot of young lads blooded very quickly and might need a year or two to adjust. Cody stating he has a wealth of young lads between u21s and college's players around the county.
    It's time to row in behind the lads and get the numbers to nowlan park tomorrow, whatever the weather. These lads need support and we need to give it to them.
    Colin fennelly will add some impetus and all that is needed is a full on commitment for the 70 plus minutes. Hopefully a win and whats as important is the performance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement