Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Anyone know of rumours that john dalton has been asked into the panel.also whatever happened to paady hogan.remember him as a half back v tipp in 09 u21 final he was outstanding.

John Dalton is 32 this year and paddy hogan is 30 this year.
    Again I say we would be much better grooming conor delaney, Evan cody and Jason cleere into the backs. Tommy walsh is a bit young but we should be looking at him next year.
    If we had a pick of P Murphy, P Walsh, J Holden, C Fogarty, K Joyce, C Buckley, C Fogarty, J Cleere and E Cody for positions 2 to 7 we wouldn't be too bad. I think Cillian Buckley will move back to the half back line come championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

Id leave Buckley midfield, attacking treat and and great mobility

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Surely paddy hogan would be worth a shot at centre back or wing back.know he played midfield a few years ago but defence is surely his best position.

Surely paddy hogan would be worth a shot at centre back or wing back.know he played midfield a few years ago but defence is surely his best position.

Possibly but we need to move with lads that will be there for the next 10 years.
    Pat Hartley would also be worth his place there but it's a bit too late for that. He did get a run in the league at midfield 5 or 6 years ago but the half back line is his line.

Dont think we should look further than this year.who knows how player will progress in the future.best players should play regardless of age.look how good jj henry and fast eddie still where just past 30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I thought it was an enjoyable match up until about 50 minutes after which Cork just completely capitulated. First half the backs were way off their men, Conor O'Shea especially had a nightmare. Second half was a different story. Plenty of comments on individual performances but one thing that stood out for me, especially in the first half were the puck outs from Nash. Jesus but they were good. He's like Cluxton in the football. Admittedly the KK backs were slow to react to the runs in the Cork half forward line but all the same, every single ball from Nash was on the money. Second half he struggled a bit when KK tightened up.

I noticed that also. I don't think we won a puck out in the first half?? Our lads split the players but he was still able to ping them 50/60yards to hand and set up an attack. This is where Cork dominated possession in the first half - from his puck outs. Their movement in the middle third was super, they put in a serious effort in this respect but then it died in the second half.

A win's a win and it's 2 points. I was looking for A). a performance and it was a lot better - more energy and drive all over the park and B). a goal or two. Colin created a couple of decent chances but didn't convert. Just his pace adds something to the team which makes a difference.

We settled into the game in the 2nd half and pushed on - Richie and TJ showed nice touches. Leahy was also decent.

I wish Cillian would play a ball in in front of the forwards so they can run onto it. He always tried yesterday to play a high looping ball in and it's always going to be to the back's advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Dont think we should look further than this year.who knows how player will progress in the future.best players should play regardless of age.look how good jj henry and fast eddie still where just past 30

I doubt dalton or hartley are in coadys plans didn't both of them have their disagreement?that ship has sailed ditto paddy hogan,all 3 still good club hurlers tho but I think we're better off trying to develop the young hurlers we have.
    As people have being saying the only worry id have is we're not producing skilful fowards too many are the same big strong but hopefully with the summer approaching the likes of john walsh and chris bolger will get their chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

What are people thoughts on upcoming Tipp game?

Johngoose wrote: »
    What are people thoughts on upcoming Tipp game?

Tipp look to have serious strength in their panel putting up 26/27 points a game we'll need to produce a performance that we haven't seen so far to have any chance.I'm sure kk will lift it for this match but you'd have to fancy tipp even though their missing a good few although they'll surely pick their strongest team and lay down a early marker
    Team selection will be interesting id fear for o shea if his ten yards behind bubbles or noel mcgrath,I'd like to see delaney get a start.I'd also like to see us nail down a midfielder to give us options for the summer pity scanlon isn't available or maybe kevin kelly could be tried there
    I'd give cleere another chance as I think he has potential and is quicker than joyce or lennon,hopefully pat lyng has recovered from injury he was promising but james maher still looks sluggish and looks a good bit off
    The final match against dublin looks like our best bet for staying in this division .very hard to guess a team when cleere was parachuted in despite not being on the previous two squads.there's a huge amount of players in there at the moment which is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankCummins

I find that and it frustrates me to see high balls going into the forwards we have instead of putting it in front of them which happened with Ritchie Leahy the second half he winning his ball.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to game next saturday.will be really interested in the team cody will choose.this eould be my team.
    Murphy
    Murphy
    Joey
    Cleere
    Padraig
    Joyce
    Buckley
    Fogarty
    Richie
    Walter
    Tj
    Leahy
    Blanch
    Colin
    J walsh

Subs
    Pender
    O shea
    Ger awlyard
    Evan coady
    Delaney
    Assuming all are fit

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Haven't seen it mentioned but Ryan Bergin is another who was called into senior panel recently

From Callan? Good hurler but a bit young I reckon. Being around the panel will do him no harm I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Where's John Power lads. A player that I thought was going to have an impact after seeing him at minor level. Bar 2014 final he hasn't done much. No were near his brothers level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankCummins

Was that Ryan Bergin on the minor team panel 2010 or am I mixing him up with somebody else from Callan.

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Where's John Power lads. A player that I thought was going to have an impact after seeing him at minor level. Bar 2014 final he hasn't done much. No were near his brothers level

Presume he was giving a rest after winning the club ai but someone said kevin farrell was called in he was very good last year for the club he could be a good hurler in time

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Yep Ryan Bergin from Callan. Was on minor team 2 years ago and I agree a bit young but probably in there to gain experience and learn what's needed

I think one of his cousins may have been on the panel in 2010 actually

John power hasnt pushed on and made a place for himself on the team.doesnt punch his weight for me.also for his size poor under a dropping ball.

Yep Ryan Bergin from Callan. Was on minor team 2 years ago and I agree a bit young but probably in there to gain experience and learn what's needed

I think one of his cousins may have been on the panel in 2010 actually

I think the majority of the u21 panel are in with the seniors hopefully this can help their u21 chances training with the seniors,of recent minor squads I thought conor doheny and michael coady looked good.Darragh joyce wasn't to bad for his club in the forwards he would of being a help to this year's u21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Mankbag

These young lads need to develop some drive cos it's just not there. You get the feeling that they feel, so what, Cody needs me, more than I need to impress him. Nobody is out there trying to impress which is very worrying. They don't feel the need. Cody needs to take these guys aside and push them like Davy Fitz would. A few hard months of early morning mountain running would stand to some of these young lads.[/QUOTE]

"Nobody is out there trying to impress. They don't feel the need."

Profoundly stupid, ignorant stuff.

Mankbag wrote: »
    These young lads need to develop some drive cos it's just not there. You get the feeling that they feel, so what, Cody needs me, more than I need to impress him. Nobody is out there trying to impress which is very worrying. They don't feel the need. Cody needs to take these guys aside and push them like Davy Fitz would. A few hard months of early morning mountain running would stand to some of these young lads.

Profoundly stupid, ignorant stuff.[/quote]

Have to agree the young lads are trying,most of these young lads are off the winning minor 14 panel it's a huge step up to senior but most of these have potential to be good hurlers but it won't happen over night and patience is required.if we can get through the year without any major injuries and get fennelly and alyward back we'll be thereabouts,I would like to see john walsh and bolger see league time but we need the likes of leahy,lyng etc keeping pressure on players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Like to see Evan Coady next day and Pat Lyng (if fit) or James Maher to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Mankbag wrote: »
    These young lads need to develop some drive cos it's just not there. You get the feeling that they feel, so what, Cody needs me, more than I need to impress him. Nobody is out there trying to impress which is very worrying. They don't feel the need. Cody needs to take these guys aside and push them like Davy Fitz would. A few hard months of early morning mountain running would stand to some of these young lads.

Profoundly stupid, ignorant stuff.[/QUOTE]

I don't know where that quote came from but I did have a little chuckle at the idea of Cody taking lessons from Davy Fitz!

unrealtime wrote: »
    Like to see Evan Coady next day and Pat Lyng (if fit) or James Maher to start

Can't see too many changes next week.
    Paul murphy, padraig walsh and conor o shea will probably start in the full back line. Would like to see conor delaney started at 4 but it probably will be the same full back line.
    Half back line same as started v cork. Cleere to hopefully step up as he will need to v tipp.
    If deegan starts v tipp he will need to up his game and be with his man on gleesons puck outs. No space for tips midfielders or half forward line.
    Half forward line to work themselves into the ground and try to keep tipps half back line under pressure.
    Colin fennelly, Richie and tj vital to bring walter and the rest into the game

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

brookville wrote: »
    mullinr2 wrote: »

Presume he was giving a rest after winning the club ai but someone said kevin farrell was called in he was very good last year for the club he could be a good hurler in time

Power hurt his shoulder in the Fitzgibbon v IT Carlow.Still few weeks ago from return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Did anyone hear how the U-21 challenge game with Cork went on Sunday evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I don't know where that quote came from but I did have a little chuckle at the idea of Cody taking lessons from Davy Fitz!

I'm not sure where that quote came from either, but it's total ignorance.

It's like the time that Davy made Tony Kelly run through Cratloe woods at 4am in the pitch dark, while he drove a car behind him to give him light....... just because he couldn't make the training session with the rest of the players due to work. Great example of man management....that type of bollocks might get players super fit and want to impress in the short term, but in the longer term it's totally destructive. Nobody wants to play under and deal with a total tyrant. It was no surprise that both Waterford and Clare fell away after a good run with him.

He'll give Wexford a short term lift, but it'll be the same story unless he changes his style. To say that Cody should learn from him is laughable.
    O shea grew into the game as he was a spare man at times. He does seem nervous but if you look at the mistakes made and the fact that he is not near quick enough out with his marker it makes it difficult to see how he can step up. His awareness is not good enough. If you are 5-10 yards behind your man before the ball comes in then you have problems straight away. As I said previously he is a fine hurler but I don't think he has the necessary speed or awareness for this level. Would love to be proved wrong here but too many cheap scores come from him.

I agree that he grew into the game and that he was 5 yards behind his man going for the ball, but that's exactly the same as when Fogarty had his first starts. He always had a habit of letting his man get the ball, and then tackling him, rather than beating him to it. He won't get away with it against good players.

That's why I think he'd be better out the field and gaining more confidence out there. The fear in the full back line is that if you are out in front and you don't win it, your man is left behind you clean through on goal.

I disagree about his speed. Mick Fennelly is hardly the faster player in the country, but he is key for us. I think O'Shea potentially good enough but needs to be give a go out the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny 7/4 to beat Tipperary. Good price if you ask me, these lads have bet Tipp most times up to last years all ireland final. And after last weeks win with Tj, Riche, Wally & Colin showing form i think we will turn them over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Village87 wrote: »
    Kilkenny 7/4 to beat Tipperary. Good price if you ask me, these lads have bet Tipp most times up to last years all ireland final. And after last weeks win with Tj, Riche, Wally & Colin showing form i think we will turn them over

Eh... have you seen Tipp so far this year? :confused:
    If they play to form they should beat us fairly easily. An improvement in performance from the Cork match and a narrow loss would be a good result for KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Am I right in presuming Gleeson isn't involved in the Tipp set up this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Am I right in presuming Gleeson isn't involved in the Tipp set up this year?

Still involved, he was sub-goalie the last two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Oh right wasn't familiar with the lad starting last Sunday

Oh right wasn't familiar with the lad starting last Sunday

Mooney was there last year as well but before this year had only played one competitive game, I guess with Gleeson's age and Mooney's lack of game time it was an obvious time to use Mooney, Darren's personal issues would have been a factor as well I'm sure.

danganabu wrote: »
    Mooney was there last year as well but before this year had only played one competitive game, I guess with Gleeson's age and Mooney's lack of game time it was an obvious time to use Mooney, Darren's personal issues would have been a factor as well I'm sure.
    Is it likely that Gleeson will be recalled come championship time? I think he's a very under rated part of that Tipp team, he organises his defence very well and his puck outs are top class. I think Mick Ryan has played his hand very well in the league he's introducing a lot of new guys onto that team and creating competition for places in some key areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Is it likely that Gleeson will be recalled come championship time? I think he's a very under rated part of that Tipp team, he organises his defence very well and his puck outs are top class. I think Mick Ryan has played his hand very well in the league he's introducing a lot of new guys onto that team and creating competition for places in some key areas.

His court case is set for May/June, so maybe they'll stick with Mooney until it's resolved.

I would expect him to be there but there is no guarantee, as you say his distribution is top class and there were a few examples particularly in the last 20 mins of the first half on Sunday where Mooney's puck outs left a lot to be desired, granted the conditions were dreadful.

Mick Ryan has been a little unlucky really, he has played Mooney in order that he get experience and to see if he is up to the task and in truth we still don't really know, neither Waterford or Clare had a shot at goal.

• Advertisement

I would expect him to be there but there is no guarantee, as you say his distribution is top class and there were a few examples particularly in the last 20 mins of the first half on Sunday where Mooney's puck outs left a lot to be desired, granted the conditions were dreadful.

Mick Ryan has been a little unlucky really, he has played Mooney in order that he get experience and to see if he is up to the task and in truth we still don't really know, neither Waterford or Clare had a shot at goal.

I suppose that's the joys of having such a good back line they're able to protect a goalie!! Hopefully we can oblige on Saturday night and get through on goal and give him a test!! The big test for us on Saturday will be getting a foothold in the half forward line, we need to not just stop them from launching Tipp's attacks but also win some of our own ball to keep the pressure off our backs. Are Tipp likely to go with a similar team to last weekend? Will Callinan start?

I suppose that's the joys of having such a good back line they're able to protect a goalie!! Hopefully we can oblige on Saturday night and get through on goal and give him a test!! The big test for us on Saturday will be getting a foothold in the half forward line, we need to not just stop them from launching Tipp's attacks but also win some of our own ball to keep the pressure off our backs. Are Tipp likely to go with a similar team to last weekend? Will Callinan start?

I think tipp have a few injuries but I hope callinan,bubbles and john mcgrath all start it'll be a good test for padraig and whoever is at 4 and six as I'm sure these will be targeted.I'm not expecting a victory to be honest but a steady improvement and newcomers doing well I'd be happy enough

Expecting us to strike bsck on saturday cant understand why people think we might loose by 8 or 9pts.we may but I never think that before a kk game with cody in charge

I know we are fed up giving Tipp a batin' but I can't see us repeating the dose on Sunday. We are doing too much experimenting and are short of a number of key players also.

Sat m
    Night

• Advertisement

They will want to beat us badly after all the hurt we have inflicted on them.would be great to let them know we are still the team to beat.

unrealtime wrote: »
    I know we are fed up giving Tipp a batin' but I can't see us repeating the dose on Sunday. We are doing too much experimenting and are short of a number of key players also.

you never answered the question of which of Tipp's FF line that Ger Awlyard would replace??

we are still the team to beat.

How do you make that out??

How do you make that out??

Won 2 from last 3 all irelands no one else near our records.yes tipp beat us last september and have started the league well but every team has different priorties with the league.tipp for example didnt bother with it last year.waterford this year are not to bothered imo.staying up and finding a few players would do me this year.but ssturday is a derby and beating tipp is always good whatever the game is.

Won 2 from last 3 all irelands no one else near our records.yes tipp beat us last september and have started the league well but every team has different priorties with the league.tipp for example didnt bother with it last year.waterford this year are not to bothered imo.staying up and finding a few players would do me this year.but ssturday is a derby and beating tipp is always good whatever the game is.

Can't argue with any of that, still have no idea where you get the idea that KK are the team to beat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

They will want to beat us badly after all the hurt we have inflicted on them.would be great to let them know we are still the team to beat.

Tipp are the team ta beat in all fairness , the dogs in the street know that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

68deville wrote: »
    the dogs in the street know that!!
    the cats in the stand are still hopeful
    😄

Team to beat based on the last few years and not just last september.most people say that the champions are the team to beat (clare bad example of that theory)we have played something like 9 of the last 10 all irelands.that imo still makes us team to beat.waterfords attitude to the first game in nowlan park backs my opinion up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Team to beat based on the last few years and not just last september.most people say that the champions are the team to beat (clare bad example of that theory)we have played something like 9 of the last 10 all irelands.that imo still makes us team to beat.waterfords attitude to the first game in nowlan park backs my opinion up.

The bookies disagree with you.

I know first time in years were a decent price to win liam.bookies had us favs last year doesnt count for anything.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement