Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

dubcat51 wrote: »
    I know first time in years were a decent price to win liam.bookies had us favs last year doesnt count for anything.

They had ye favourites most years in this century and were correct far more often than not. Tipp are the team to beat this year without doubt, to say any different is just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Team to beat or not wont make any difference come the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It was your post that brought up the whole 'team to beat' nonsense in the first place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Why then did you say it was important that KK show they are the team to beat, you seem to be covering all angles here.

Bit like when you said that Waterford werent taking the league seriously but that their attitude against KK showed how much it meant to them, talk about cherry picking :D

Waterford showed against kk how much they were up for the game compared to the tipp game.lions against us pussycats v tipp.my point is everyone is bigging tipp up just like clare in 13 (next best thing)and writing us off.history shows this is folly and our records over the Years not year is better than anyone else.

Waterford showed against kk how much they were up for the game compared to the tipp game.lions against us pussycats v tipp.

Think your memory might be playing tricks on you there, only difference I seen was that Tipp had the forwards (John McGrath and Bubbles) to take advantage whereas KK didn't that and the fact that Austin Gleeson reverted to type and couldn't hit a barn door, it had very little to do with attitude or application.

Memory ok.was at game in nowlan and recording of game back on tv when I came home from clare that sunday evening.intensity nowhere near the level of game in nowlan pk from waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Waterford showed against kk how much they were up for the game compared to the tipp game.lions against us pussycats v tipp.my point is everyone is bigging tipp up just like clare in 13 (next best thing)and writing us off.history shows this is folly and our records over the Years not year is better than anyone else.

Just no. Absolutely no. Not in Tipp anyway, I can assure you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The Team to beat is just a useless cliche. In fairness Tipperary are the best team in the country at the moment (though in typical GAA fashion they are trying to talk themselves down)

They gave us a bit of a beating the All Ireland Final last year and have won all their games in the league this year. They are obviously ahead of others at the moment, there is no debate about that at the moment really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

adrian522 wrote: »
    The Team to beat is just a useless cliche. In fairness Tipperary are the best team in the country at the moment (though in typical GAA fashion they are trying to talk themselves down)

They gave us a bit of a beating the All Ireland Final last year and have won all their games in the league this year. They are obviously ahead of others at the moment, there is no debate about that at the moment really.

Even when Kilkenny were at their best, Cody always talked them down (obviously nobody believed him) and Ryan with Tipperary would now be doing the same.

Due to a swathe of retirements, and team building, Kilkenny are now takeable by 3 or 4 of the top teams (with Tipp firmly on top), and there is now no need to do any pretending about being down etc.

With recent results, Cody can now genuinely give his comments about how good the other teams are, and that promotes the 'underdog' tag for Kilkenny.

On a positive note, that is a good thing, as the only way to go now is up because of putting together a virtually new team, and we are fooling no one if we attempt to stick by talking up Kilkenny, and talking down all the other contenders.

When have we ever seen a GAA manager talk up his own team?

and we are fooling no one if we attempt to stick by talking up Kilkenny, and talking down all the other contenders.

Seems to be fooling dubcat for one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Lads. Saturday evenings match should be very entertaining and will be played at neat championship pace.
    From our point of view we have to ensure we give everything for the full 70 and to minimise the amount of time tipp have on the ball. This is key. Our half forward line and midfield will need to be in tipps faces and obviously we need to play as cute as possible while in possession. If hogan is out around the middle he will be tasked to put over 5 or 6 points from 50-70 yards out.
    Our other 5 forwards will need to get as much on the scoresheet as possible. Will need a something like as follows;

C Buckley 0-02
    R Hogan 0-05
    TJ Reid 0-10
    W Walsh 0- 03
    R Leahy 1-01
    C Martin 0-01
    C Fennelly 1-02

Won't be as easy as it sounds (2-24 in total but these players are well capable) but something like this will be required to beat tipp. It's not beyond the lads to get these scores but they will all have to be on top of their game.
    Similarly our 6 backs, whatever formation they take will have to be up breathing on the tipp forwards necks and not give them 5 or 6 yards of space. It's a big ask considering what scoring we have gl been doing but it's achievable if they hurl to their potential.
    The main thing is not to concede too many cheap scores because we are not out fast enough.
    Also our delivery to the midfielders, half forward and full forward lines needs to improve significantly. The 1st 6 scores of the 2nd half v cork shows what we can achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Just on the all the talk of the team to beat and who is favourite in March, I think Kilkenny supporters in particular shouldnt be bothered about it, we have been favourites and walked the All Ireland (2008), favourites and been totally flat in the championship 2013 and won when another team were almost as strong favourites as Tipp are now (2006)

Fair play to Tipp who were dire in the mid part of the last decade and had to work very hard to get to where they are today. They have the best squad which is usually what wins you the league and are justified as favourites for the championship, I still think they could be shocked by a Galway, Clare, or ourselves this year under the right conditions and the positive point about them been favourites is that it would be even sweeter than normal to see them beaten but after that I dont really care how they do this year.

Id much rather focus on Kilkenny and Saturdays match is much more about getting a performance and the development of the team than the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0307/857956-tipp-inflict-pain/

Richie not giving much hope for saturday night,eddie brennan had similar comments during the week
    Realistically I think it's beyond us but I'm looking forward to the match but I'll be going with more hope than confidence.The players will be determined to give a good performance I'm sure.Colins return gives us a more of a threat up front and takes some pressure off our two main men but we're probably lacking a dangerous inside forward that's why I was hoping we would of seen walsh/bolger but alyward should help when he returns in the summer.
    Fogarty has being played in the backs and buckley midfield he must be thinking of something for down the line.I'm suprised buckley hasnt being tried at 6 or joyce at 3 but he seems to have his mind made up on padraig at 3 but I'd prefer padraig up the field further it's a pity we've no one else for 3.
    Overall theres changes needed and Infairness to management theirs a big panel in there and his trying players in new positions some working and some haven't hopefully we can stay competitive while strengthen our panel

http://www.the42.ie/kilkenny-cbs-athenry-croke-cup-3276957-Mar2017/

Congrats to cbs it's a pity they have to play again on saturday they'll be up against it with a few tipp minor all ireland winners.I think mgraths younger brother plays for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Both college games postponed until Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Both college games postponed until Wednesday

Is the CBS and Templemore game still fixed for Kilmallock? Such a place for it

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankCummins

Will the likes of John Power, Kevin Kelly be fit for saturday night, i asked this question earlier in the week who is the new bloke that was doing the warm up with the subs last sunday during the game he is obvioually part of the backroom team. I thaought at first it was Tom Mullaly from Glenmore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankCummins

Will the likes of John Power, Kevin Kelly be fit for saturday night, i asked this question earlier in the week who is the new bloke that was doing the warm up with the subs last sunday during the game he is obvioually part of the backroom team. I thaought at first it was Tom Mullaly from Glenmore
    I for got to mention Pat lyng will he be fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil v Tipp
    E Murphy
    P Murphy P Walsh C o Shea
    C Fogarty S Prendergast J Cleere
    P Deegan C Buckley
    R Hogan TJ Reid C Fennelly
    A Murphy L Blanchfield W Walsh
    Subs
    D Brennan
    J Holden
    K Joyce
    C Delaney
    E Cody
    M Walsh
    O Walsh
    C Martin
    J Maher
    S Morrissey
    M Malone

Pender at centre back is interesting with joyce on the line.no kelly john walsh awlyard chris bolger all the pitential corner forwards missing(surely they all xant be injured)leahy must be or he surely would have started.bar pender 5 of the 6 backs starting 2 weeks in a row.

Kil v Tipp
    E Murphy
    P Murphy P Walsh C o Shea
    C Fogarty S Prendergast J Cleere
    P Deegan C Buckley
    R Hogan TJ Reid C Fennelly
    A Murphy L Blanchfield W Walsh
    Subs
    D Brennan
    J Holden
    K Joyce
    C Delaney
    E Cody
    M Walsh
    O Walsh
    C Martin
    J Maher
    S Morrissey
    M Malone

No leahy? Must be injured.
    Shane Pender centre back? Not sure about that but cody must see some logic there. He wasn't too bad when introduced last week but cork had given up the ghost at that stage.
    Interesting to see how Alan Murphy goes with blanchfield in full. Will need 3-4 subs as i expect it to be a fast paced affair.
    Think joyce, maher, joey and conor martin will see game time tomorrow at some stage.
    Will be tough no doubt but we will give everything. Looking forward to it.

Shane Pender centre back? Not sure about that but cody must see some logic there. He wasn't too bad when introduced last week but cork had given up the ghost at that stage.
    Interesting to see how Alan Murphy goes with blanchfield in full. Will need 3-4 subs as i expect it to be a fast paced affair.
    Think joyce, maher, joey and conor martin will see game time tomorrow at some stage.

Leahy is injured pat lyng still must be injured.Interesting no richie reid or john joe are they injured?hard to see this team beating tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Leahy limped off last week. Looked like a hamstring where he was indicating to the sideline.
    Think it's about time Pender got a run at CB. Consistently Claras best player at that position last year. Wont know if he's good enough If he's not tried there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think the backs are okay except I don't think Conor O'Shea is a corner back. One way or another, we are going to learn a lot about the team. Pity about Richie Leahy. Sub forwards look a bit weak

Farrell walsh pat lyng kelly bolger richie reid.alot of players with ? Marks.are they injured dtopped or does anyone know whats going on if anything.

Farrell walsh pat lyng kelly bolger richie reid.alot of players with ? Marks.are they injured dtopped or does anyone know whats going on if anything.

John joe not injured afaik
    Lyng, reid, kelly and leahy must be injured
    I don't know what the story with bolger or long walsh is.
    Afaik ger aylward has a hamstring injury

Hopefully we can qualify in 4th place which would give us a quarter final v wexford. At least lads would get more competitive game time.

Kevin kelly,john power,rob lennon,richie leahy and pat lyng are injured i think.Rumours of aylward have being circulating the last few weeks that he has being dropped.Richie reid and jj farrell not making the match day squad now and chris bolger isn't on the panel

See they have picked 10 of all ireland team.bubbles callinan 2 mc graths play.we need to hit hard and fair early and often .let this crowd know we are still here and are going knowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

More messing but same result - batin' out the gate I'd say

unrealtime wrote: »
    More messing but same result - batin' out the gate I'd say

You want him to pick injured players?

Topcat32 wrote: »

Very unfortunate with injuries the list could be as long as ten but the other side is fringe players are getting game time and that what the league is all about.Deegan wasnt to bad last sunday and deserves another run.cleere and alan murphy were promising minors and both are very young so we can't be to hard on them.Shane pender has being a good number 6 for clara but slightly worried his tried 3 different lads at 6 in the first 4 matches and shane pender is hardly a long term replacement.
    The defence could be in for a tough night but hopefully our midfield/half forwards can help out but our full forward line probably won't trouble the score board enough that's my concern

Topcat32 wrote: »

We seem to have a lot of injuries at the moment and there's no point picking lads that are not fully fit or have any injury concerns so the panel available is what it is. Interesting to see Pender in at centre back. Some lads here have pointed to the fact that he is there for clara and hurls well there so hopefully he has the awareness to work well there as he is not up to b it in corner back so hopefully he works well there.
    Due to the amount of injuries we have a weak enough bench but we have joyce, joey, maher and martin to come in if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JaffaP

It could get very ugly tonight, you'd be hopeful we can keep it competitive but unless there's a marked improvement it'll be a double digit beating.

From what I've heard the panel currently numbers 50 with lads called in for training and all. 15 of the U21's are involved with the seniors lads like Tommy Walsh, Billy Ryan and Conor Doheny most of these will probably all revert back to the U21 panel as soon as the injured return. Out of the 50 we have 17 injuries this weekend with 7 to 8 hamstrings in trouble.
    Ger Aylward-torn hamstring, this is definite and the other rumours need to go away there's no need for them. He would have been expecting to play tonight only for the injury about 2-3 weeks ago.
    Richie Leahy-hamstring, tweaked in training during the week.
    Alan Murphy lit the place up in the challenge against Cork U21's last Sunday, has been training very well.

All the panic and pessimism on here is really getting on my wick.
    We won the Walsh cup with largely experimental teams.
    We narrowly lost to Waterford in a match which they frequently crossed the line and were lucky to go unpunished.
    We got clipped by Clare on field where even the best Kilkenny teams struggled to get results over the years.
    We beat a poor Cork team easily in the end with still a far from full strength team.
    The League is for experimenting and that's what we're doing.

Personally I think now that they've had 3 weeks hurling under their belt they'll put in a good shift tonight. Tipp are absolutely flying there is no doubt and they are the team to beat don't fool yourself. From what I've heard I'm happy with the FF line I think he has picked the perfect HF to try and stifle Tipps launch pad and the defence is more or less unchanged and we'll see how Prender goes.

I can see us winning this one but it's an outside chance. I think Cody has picked a team that is targeting Tipp. I give us a great chance unless Tipp get the absolute rub of the green, we will be there there abouts I hope at the 70 min mark. If we lose I don't think it will be by more than 3 to 5 points.

From what I've heard the panel currently numbers 50 with lads called in for training and all. 15 of the U21's are involved with the seniors lads like Tommy Walsh, Billy Ryan and Conor Doheny most of these will probably all revert back to the U21 panel as soon as the injured return. Out of the 50 we have 17 injuries this weekend with 7 to 8 hamstrings in trouble.
    Ger Aylward-torn hamstring, this is definite and the other rumours need to go away there's no need for them. He would have been expecting to play tonight only for the injury about 2-3 weeks ago.
    Alan Murphy lit the place up in the challenge against Cork U21's last Sunday, has been training very well.

We narrowly lost to Waterford in a match which they frequently crossed the line and were lucky to go unpunished.
    We got clipped by Clare on field where even the best Kilkenny teams struggled to get results over the years.
    We beat a poor Cork team easily in the end with still a far from full strength team.

Personally I think now that they've had 3 weeks hurling under their belt they'll put in a good shift tonight. Tipp are absolutely flying there is no doubt and they are the team to beat don't fool yourself. From what I've heard I'm happy with the FF line I think he has picked the perfect HF to try and stifle Tipps launch pad and the defence is more or less unchanged and we'll see how Prender goes.

I can see us winning this one but it's an outside chance. I think Cody has picked a team that is targeting Tipp. I give us a great chance unless Tipp get the absolute rub of the green, we will be there there abouts I hope at the 70 min mark. If we lose I don't think it will be by more than 3 to 5 points.

17 out of 50 seems like an awfull lot of injuries, interesting to know how this compares with other training panels, I assume there is quite a wide range to the injuries from serious to could play if they were really needed.

Is chris bolger released from the panel and what's the story with jj farrell,richie reid and john walsh?

brookville wrote: »
    Is chris bolger released from the panel and what's the story with jj farrell,richie reid and john walsh?

Unfortunately I didn't find it all out but two things i do know is
    A) Chris Bolger was definitely back training with Clara last week as I was talking to a lad in that set up. Does that definitely mean he's dropped? I don't know but it sure looks like it at the moment. I personally hope he isn't as he's a real talent and could flourish with top hurlers around him

B) John Walsh suffered a very serious concussion about a month ago in training he got a clip on the helmet went into the dressing room and collapsed and ambulance was called, the works but he's fully recovered now and was due to play in the Kilkenny and Tipperary U21 challenge match in Dunmore today at 12.30.

Kilkenny U21's won this match well by the sounds of it 2-27 to 1-15. John Walsh put on an exhibition apparently no more details than that.

Kilkenny U21's are undeafted so far this year which is a great boost to the young lads since the start of the year they've beaten DCU, DCU freshers, Cork and now Tipp. Not bad for a county which is on the wain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

I spoke with a player and he said he didn't know if Bolger was dropped or not but that Bolger hadn't been training since this player was in there (3 weeks)

John Walsh got about 1-6 or 8 all from play out of the 2-27

John Walsh got about 1-6 or 8 all from play out of the 2-27

Who else featured well?

brookville wrote: »
    Who else featured well?
    That's all I've heard so far

That's all I've heard so far

That's good news for the u21s. Don't know how strong tipp would have been but definitely a good result considering we have a few involved this evening and a few more injured including leahy and lyng.
    This will be a big test for us but I think we will perform well. Tipp have a strong team out but as thebiggertheycome said our team is the best that can be put out v tipp considering the circumstances and they will hopefully grow from this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Does anyone know where we can watch this match?

• Advertisement

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Does anyone know where we can watch this match?

If you're not in Thurles it's live eir sport 2

If you're not in Thurles it's live eir sport 2

Is that a subscription channel?

Is that a subscription channel?

Yes. If you pay for sky.

Yes. If you pay for sky.

Cheers, thanks. My Mam is the one asking. She has Saor View and a free to air box. She said she can't find it.
    Thanks a mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Cheers, thanks. My Mam is the one asking. She has Saor View and a free to air box. She said she can't find it.
    Thanks a mill

http://cricfree.sc/premier-sports-live-stream you can watch it here , not sure if i am aloud post links though

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement