Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I don't think shane Pender wad too bad v tipp.
    At the moment the two forwards likely to start with Colin tj Richie and walter are blanchfield and leahy.

I didn't think he was bad just that he struggled under high ball but when he moved out to the wing he done well especially in the 2nd half,he gave hogan a peach of a pass for a great score in the 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

brookville wrote: »
    I didn't think he was bad just that he struggled under high ball but when he moved out to the wing he done well especially in the 2nd half,he gave hogan a peach of a pass for a great score in the 2nd half

He did. Cleere did well after moving to the centre and will be a big addition or option for us Oving forward.
    Is the panel training this weekend?

He did. Cleere did well after moving to the centre and will be a big addition or option for us Oving forward.
    Is the panel training this weekend?

Cleere did well for his second outing and his learning,it'd be great if he could make the number six position his own.they trained tuesday so probaly thursday and sat evening or sunday

Cleere did well for his second outing and his learning,it'd be great if he could make the number six position his own.they trained tuesday so probaly thursday and sat evening or sunday

Are they training in Dunmore? Maybe someone here knows a definite time or day over the weekend??
    On cleere I think he will make a great number 6

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

I agree the best way to find it is give them a shot but I think this would have happened already if it was going to happen. I think blanchfield,lyng, leahy and maher will be big players for us and will definitely play some part in the championship this year.
    Add tj, Richie, walter, Colin, ger aylward if he gets back, sean morrissey and Alan Murphy and that's 11 forwards vieing for 6 positions.
    I would like to see those two getting game time but we have had 9 competitive matches so far and none of these lads have got in, albeit being involved in colleges.
    Our backs come the championship will probably be the following. ..........

P Murphy
    P Walsh
    C o shea
    C Fogarty
    J Cleere
    K Joyce
    E cody
    C Delaney
    S prendergast
    J Holden

Midfield the following........

P deegan
    L Ryan
    M fennelly
    O Walsh

E Murphy and R Reid in goals and that's 26 of a panel.

Add to that lads are on the panel already and that makes 29.

R lennon
    M walsh
    M Malone

Not forgetting bergin either.

Am I missing anyone?

What about Cillian Buckley? He's 24, has 3 All Irelands and 2 All Stars. Might be worth a look at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

How we go in the 21s will have a bearing imo on who nakes our match day 26.players who show up well in the 21s may makw a breakthrough.scanlon walsh etc.for me martin malone morrissey maher havent done anything yet when in.for me kelly walsh bolger would be ahead of them
    Imo

dubcat51 wrote: »
    How we go in the 21s will have a bearing imo on who nakes our match day 26.players who show up well in the 21s may makw a breakthrough.scanlon walsh etc.for me martin malone morrissey maher havent done anything yet when in.for me kelly walsh bolger would be ahead of them
    Imo

I agree that lads in form during the summer or hurling well for the u21s during the year will leave the door open for themselves.it's a pity we didn't see scanlon or john walsh so far but I think they were injured and maybe both suited to dryer ground
    James maher looks like he needs more time but cody likes him and his used more than others.
    Conor martin played one league match last year against cork and he played one this year and came on for two minutes against waterford players like himself michael walsh and michael malone seem to be squad players and c very little game time.it must be disheartening for these lads after giving 2/3 years on the panel and now lads like pat lyng,leahy,cleere and deegan all starting and pushing for places on the panel
    If the new lads continue having a good league and all the injured lads return for the summer places will hard come by

At least martin maher morrisey etc are getting a chance.bolger for me should be given a chance and then judge.lyng and deegan have done enough to warrant more game time.

At least martin maher morrisey etc are getting a chance.bolger for me should be given a chance and then judge.lyng and deegan have done enough to warrant more game time.

I agree re bolger but unfortunately for him his 1st commitment was with the colleges this year and he probably lost our on 6 or 7 games between the walsh cup and the league because of it. I don't know if he will figure in codys plans from here on in but I would like to see him getting some chance.
    At the moment lyng, leahy, blanchfield and maher will keep getting game time and rightly so as they have shown to be capable of competing for positions.
    I don't know what's happening with john walsh or luke scanlon either but hopefully their chance will come.

• Advertisement

Morrissey is young he has time on his side if he could make the match day squad he'd probably be happy but it's lads like michael walsh,malone who have very little chance getting onto the team now
    I agree on chris bolger deserves a run but his back in training now so he could get his chance yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankCummins

Is conor martin or john joe on that panel above?
    I actually think if we can stay injury free we'll have a stronger panel than last year.I've also being told by a player chris bolger was training with the seniors during the week so it's a very large open panel and anyone who hits form during the spring/summer will be on the panel.
    4 of the six forwards shouod pick themselves so it'll probably be up to ger,kevin,liam,leahy,lyng although it's hard to say this far out
    If the buckley experiment works joyce will probably be at 7 shane pender was very weak in the air last saturday and joey is out of favour at the moment joyce is my preferred choice at half back
    I'd like to see richie reid get a league match in goal when he returns from injury and hopefully conor delaney gets a run
    As you said who ever hits the ground running in the next couple of months will get the call up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Michael Fennelly, TJ Reid, Richie Hogan, 3 hurlers of the year along with Eddie Brennan, Michael Rice and Paul Murphy were on the panel for a couple of years before nailing down a place so I wouldn't be ruling any young lad out because they didn't excel playing winter hurling on a poor pitch. Hopefully we can get a decent run this year and training will bring on some of these youngsters to stake their claim, just wouldn't be expecting too much this year.

Good point well made blackcard.

Unless there are any real surprises the team for sunday will probably line out as per tipp match with the exception of richie leahy in instead of Alan Murphy providing leahy is fit.
    Any news from training re any other possible inclusions?

Agree on team for sunday,maybe ger alyward will make the bench.

• Advertisement

Agree on team for sunday,maybe ger alyward will make the bench.

I reckon there could be a few changes,if you look at the trend in all the matches so far there has being 2/3 changes and it's important to give players gametime.I think we could see a change in the backs maybe shane pender could lose out and two up front blanchfield and murphy
    I'd like to see delaney tried at half back and leahy and someone like john walsh getting a run out

I reckon there could be a few changes,if you look at the trend in all the matches so far there has being 2/3 changes and it's important to give players gametime.I think we could see a change in the backs maybe shane pender could lose out and two up front blanchfield and murphy
    I'd like to see delaney tried at half back and leahy and someone like john walsh getting a run out

Possibly joyce will come in for pender but definitely if leahy is fit he will start. Would agree re delaney. Would like to see him half back don't think it will happen.
    Blanchfield will surely start. Won't be easy in parnell park to come away with a win but if they play with similar intensity to the tipp match and have richie hogan roaming outfieldand walter on the half forward line we should create chances. Give tj a bit of room and scores will follow on.

Possibly joyce will come in for pender but definitely if leahy is fit he will start. Would agree re delaney. Would like to see him half back don't think it will happen.
    Blanchfield will surely start. Won't be easy in parnell park to come away with a win but if they play with similar intensity to the tipp match and have richie hogan roaming outfieldand walter on the half forward line we should create chances. Give tj a bit of room and scores will follow on.

I agree it's unlikely walsh or delaney will start but murphy and cleere came from nowhere to start their matches so anything possible.I don't think blanchfield is certain to start apart from winning the peno I thought o keeffe got the better of him and I'd like to see him scoring more even for the club he doesn't score enough but his still very young.
    This match sunday will be very tough but If we bring our a game we should get the result.will they bring back the cuala lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I agree it's unlikely walsh or delaney will start but murphy and cleere came from nowhere to start their matches so anything possible.I don't think blanchfield is certain to start apart from winning the peno I thought o keeffe got the better of him and I'd like to see him scoring more even for the club he doesn't score enough but his still very young.
    This match sunday will be very tough but If we bring our a game we should get the result.will they bring back the cuala lads?

Good point re: the Cuala lads. Not sure - maybe a week too early for them. I'm sure they had a good party this week!

Need more from Blanchfield I think. Reminds me a bit of Wally when he was younger as I always thought there was more potential in him (now he is proving there is and is a certain starter in the forwards on the team now). Blanchfield needs to be more aggressive in attacking the sliotar and chip in with a few more scores but he's still young and has time to develop.

Good point re: the Cuala lads. Not sure - maybe a week too early for them. I'm sure they had a good party this week!

Need more from Blanchfield I think. Reminds me a bit of Wally when he was younger as I always thought there was more potential in him (now he is proving there is and is a certain starter in the forwards on the team now). Blanchfield needs to be more aggressive in attacking the sliotar and chip in with a few more scores but he's still young and has time to develop.

As a above poster stated it takes players a couple of years to get up to speed with senior hurling,everyone remembers fogarty in 13 against dotsie corner back i couldn't believe it was the same lad playing midfield a year later
    Even buckley and wally have really came into their own in the last year or two after joining in 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Comerman

Cannot travel on Sunday,is the game on TV/streaming anywhere??

Blanchfirls needs to get out in front and win primary possesion.he spends to much time chasing back after his man rather than the back chasing him towards goalhowever he is a talent..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Comerman wrote: »
    Cannot travel on Sunday,is the game on TV/streaming anywhere??

No live coverage on TG4. They are showing Tyrone v Mayo (live) and Clare v Waterford (deferred).

RTE will have highlights on Sunday evening and TG4 on Monday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

Eoin Murphy

Delaney P Walsh O Shea

Cleere Joyce Fogarty

Buckley Deegan

Colin Richie Wally

Blanchfield TJ John Walsh

John Walsh and Delaney need to be seen,

Any others not yet tried ?

Paul Murphy could do with a spell on the bench, form from All ireland final last year carried on.

Village87 wrote: »
    Eoin Murphy

Delaney P Walsh O Shea

Cleere Joyce Fogarty

Buckley Deegan

Colin Richie Wally

Blanchfield TJ John Walsh

John Walsh and Delaney need to be seen,

Any others not yet tried ?

Paul Murphy could do with a spell on the bench, form from All ireland final last year carried on.

I like the majority of your team but joyce seems to have being playing wing back this year I think he was injured the last day but I'd like to see cleere being moulded into six with joyce at 7.I definitely think delaney should be tried.it'd be great to see someone like bolger or walsh tried soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Will kk get the better of the dubs?The dubs are at least a bit better than they were this time last year.

Johngoose wrote: »
    Will kk get the better of the dubs?The dubs are at least a bit better than they were this time last year.

I think dublin have suprised a few considering the change of players from this time last year.they were unlucky against waterford and clare and bet cork.I think they could be a tough team during the summer when they get the cuala lads back,as for sunday the dubs have a serious record in parnell park I think only losing 1 match in 6 years against limerick a few years ago so kk will know the challenge that lies ahead

Tough game tight pitch.I was at there game v cork away.cork were awful after starting well.if we get on top early I can see us winning by 6 or 7.o donnell and rushe top class,dillon on a going day is the only goal threat.they pucked alot of ball down to conroy on the right wing(only ball winner in their half forward line.bar o callaghan who wont play I cant see treacy shutte etc making that big a difference if they do play.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

If we put same intensity in as against Tipp we will win. Hard to see such intensity again against Dublin so result is in melting pot.

unrealtime wrote: »
    If we put same intensity in as against Tipp we will win. Hard to see such intensity again against Dublin so result is in melting pot.

To keep improving as a team and to have as many players as possible competing for places was always going to be top priority for cody for the league. I think this has happened in so far as possible. We have had an unfortunate run with injuries but we have had some success with the following lads

Conor o shea: I for one was critical of conor in the walsh cup and early rounds of the league as I thought he was too slow in gettingout with his man but definitely improved v cork and tipp. Let's hope this trend continues.
    Evan cody: Definitely going to make it but had a fairly torrid half hour v clare. On that count he wasnt the only one that had a torrid time that day.Will get his chance again and will take it.
    James cleere: Hurled ok v cork on his first outing. Got blocked down a few times but hurled v well v tipp. Will keep his place I think and will strengthen up the half back line.
    Conor delaney hasn't featured yet but like cleere will make an impact and stay on the panel. He will get his chance soon enough.
    Paddy deegan: Sluggish enough in a few matches but improved no end v tipp.
    We have to look at the balancing act bringing in a lot of new faces at this time of year while taking into account the amount of heavy work being done before lifting a hurl. This would have an effect in speed and 1st touch in early rounds of the league.
    Richie leahy: Will keep improving and looks like he will have a big role to play for kilkenny for the next 8-10 years.
    Pat lyng: made a big impact early on in the walsh cup and took some heavy shots v waterford. He too will have a big role with kilkenny for years to come.
    Liam Blanchfield: He did play last year and is only starting to find his feet. Will keep improving and will be very strong for kilkenny.
    Alan Murphy: A little naive v tipp but will havelearned a lot. Will take a little time to get the run of things.

We haven't even tried john walsh or luke scanlon who have a lot of potential. They will get their chance.

All in all I am very happy with the way things are progressing. These lads need time to adjust but have no fear this will happen. To beat dublin in parnell park will need a very strong performance but it's certainly not beyond the lads.
    To get to a quarter final would also give them more confidence.
    The fight for places on the team for the championship will hot up which will be great for cody and by extension kilkennys fortunes this year and beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

Think I would have Paul Murphy back in the corner for this one and start leahy if he's fit, also

Irish Beef wrote: »
    Think I would have Paul Murphy back in the corner for this one and start leahy if he's fit, also

Paul murphy is back in the corner anyway

To keep improving as a team and to have as many players as possible competing for places was always going to be top priority for cody for the league. I think this has happened in so far as possible. We have had an unfortunate run with injuries but we have had some success with the following lads

Conor o shea: I for one was critical of conor in the walsh cup and early rounds of the league as I thought he was too slow in gettingout with his man but definitely improved v cork and tipp. Let's hope this trend continues.
    Evan cody: Definitely going to make it but had a fairly torrid half hour v clare. On that count he wasnt the only one that had a torrid time that day.Will get his chance again and will take it.
    James cleere: Hurled ok v cork on his first outing. Got blocked down a few times but hurled v well v tipp. Will keep his place I think and will strengthen up the half back line.
    Conor delaney hasn't featured yet but like cleere will make an impact and stay on the panel. He will get his chance soon enough.
    Paddy deegan: Sluggish enough in a few matches but improved no end v tipp.
    We have to look at the balancing act bringing in a lot of new faces at this time of year while taking into account the amount of heavy work being done before lifting a hurl. This would have an effect in speed and 1st touch in early rounds of the league.
    Richie leahy: Will keep improving and looks like he will have a big role to play for kilkenny for the next 8-10 years.
    Pat lyng: made a big impact early on in the walsh cup and took some heavy shots v waterford. He too will have a big role with kilkenny for years to come.
    Liam Blanchfield: He did play last year and is only starting to find his feet. Will keep improving and will be very strong for kilkenny.
    Alan Murphy: A little naive v tipp but will havelearned a lot. Will take a little time to get the run of things.

We haven't even tried john walsh or luke scanlon who have a lot of potential. They will get their chance.

All in all I am very happy with the way things are progressing. These lads need time to adjust but have no fear this will happen. To beat dublin in parnell park will need a very strong performance but it's certainly not beyond the lads.
    To get to a quarter final would also give them more confidence.
    The fight for places on the team for the championship will hot up which will be great for cody and by extension kilkennys fortunes this year and beyond.

Good post
    Conor o shea has suprised me but he done well in his last two games but I would be worried that he might lack pace in the summer
    Pat lyng had a very good walsh cup and was the best of our fowards against waterford until he got injured hopefully he will be seen before the league ends
    Richie leahy I think is going to be a very good hurler but he probably needs time to bulk out but his good in the air and can take a score
    Deegan has improved in his two matches and has a great engine
    Fogarty is settling in well and padraig is more assured than joey at 3,buckley was unbelievable the last day and richie,tj and wally are now real leaders.colin is not a scorer we've accepted that his a great worker.ger will hopefully add more of a threat when his back but we're still lacking another dangerous foward it'd be great to c walsh or bolger tried if not hopefully kelly or john power might step
    Kinda dissapointed we didn't see more of oillie walsh or delaney tried in the backs.has luke scanlon being injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Tough game tight pitch.I was at there game v cork away.cork were awful after starting well.if we get on top early I can see us winning by 6 or 7.o donnell and rushe top class,dillon on a going day is the only goal threat.they pucked alot of ball down to conroy on the right wing(only ball winner in their half forward line.bar o callaghan who wont play I cant see treacy shutte etc making that big a difference if they do play.

I doubt any of the Cuala players will tog out, although Con O'Callaghan their full forward played for the football 21s last night. Scored 2 - 3! Some player in both games.

I'm sure they are on downtime now after the club final and won't be picked unless they trained, which is unlikely. Treacy would be huge addition as free taking has been appalling and possibly cost them the games against Clare and Waterford.

On other hand, the younger fellas have stood up and they deserve chance to see out the league.

Looking forward to this. Place be near full and should be good rehearsal for the Summer!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I doubt any of the Cuala players will tog out, although Con O'Callaghan their full forward played for the football 21s last night. Scored 2 - 3! Some player in both games.

I'm sure they are on downtime now after the club final and won't be picked unless they trained, which is unlikely. Treacy would be huge addition as free taking has been appalling and possibly cost them the games against Clare and Waterford.

On other hand, the younger fellas have stood up and they deserve chance to see out the league.

Looking forward to this. Place be near full and should be good rehearsal for the Summer!

I agree they've really missed treacy for frees in particular but their young lads have done very well and I think they deserve to see out the league the chances are if they win they could still end up in relegation if results don't go dublin way.
    Will dublin try man mark hogan or reid?dublins backs have done well,rushe and o donnell would probably make any team in the country but probably lacked a small bit up front but ryan o dwyer on padraig walsh should be a good physical tussle and dillion an mcmorrow are very fast
    It should be a good match and nothing less than our A game will be enough to get a result

Agree treacy will add to them on frees but not from open play. Best players are defenders and that wont win you games most days.pitch is my biggest concern.

Agree treacy will add to them on frees but not from open play. Best players are defenders and that wont win you games most days.pitch is my biggest concern.

Pitch will be the same for both teams,kk are familiar enough with parnell park and know what to expect sunday and I'm sure management will have the players ready for this.They know how hard it is to get a result looking forward to see the team/panel for sunday

Personally I dont like parnell park,least favourite after walsh park.but agreed same for both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Personally I dont like parnell park,least favourite after walsh park.but agreed same for both teams.

Facilities are pretty basic and the pitch cuts up badly, but it is a great atmosphere when full or nearly full as it will be on Sunday.

Dublin league games before the footballers in Croke Park have a depressing atmosphere as even if there is a normally decent crowd for a league game of 7/8,000 they are lost in such a vast place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Cuala boys will surely be there. They must be as fit as a fiddle too.

unrealtime wrote: »
    Cuala boys will surely be there. They must be as fit as a fiddle too.
    What about some of our own lads making a return Kevin Kelly, Ger Alyward , is JJ Farrell gone off the panel or is he injured.

What about some of our own lads making a return Kevin Kelly, Ger Alyward , is JJ Farrell gone off the panel or is he injured.

You'll find out in about 3 hours!

You'll find out in about 3 hours!

Go raibh maith agait

Go raibh maith agait

Ta failte romhat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil v Dub
    E Murphy
    P Murphy P Walsh C O'Shea
    C Fogarty J Cleere S Prendergast
    P Deegan C Buckley
    C Fennelly W Walsh TJ Reid
    L Blanchfield R Hogan C Martin
    Subs
    A Murphy
    J Holden
    K Joyce
    M Walsh
    O Walsh
    L Ryan
    P Lyng
    JJ Farrell
    J Maher
    M Bergin
    M Malone

• Advertisement

Kil v Dub
    E Murphy
    P Murphy P Walsh C O'Shea
    C Fogarty J Cleere S Prendergast
    P Deegan C Buckley
    C Fennelly W Walsh TJ Reid
    L Blanchfield R Hogan C Martin
    Subs
    A Murphy
    J Holden
    K Joyce
    M Walsh
    O Walsh
    L Ryan
    P Lyng
    JJ Farrell
    J Maher
    M Bergin
    M Malone

Richie leahy must still have the hamstring complaint.
    Nice to see lester and Pat lyng back on the panel. Bergin getting on the panel for the 1st time this year.
    Will need big effort to come away with a win but we are well capable

Lads can someone tell me what conor martin gives to the team.he has had plenty of chances but I just dont see what he adds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Lads can someone tell me what conor martin gives to the team.he has had plenty of chances but I just dont see what he adds.

I don't know really either what he adds... But i wouldn't say that he's had loads of chances... Played the full game against Cork and a couple of minutes against Waterford at the end of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

I don't know really either what he adds... But i wouldn't say that he's had loads of chances... Played the full game against Cork and a couple of minutes against Waterford at the end of the match.[/quote

Agree he's hasn't done much to date but what he has shown, is that he can score points from any angle/position on the pitch if he gets it in hand. So I'd say Cody is seeing will he toughen up. I 'd have said on here previously I would see see a bit of a Taggy Fogarty in this guy.

Definitely lucky to be near the panel let alone team but who are we to judge the management they seem to like him so it's hard to complain.
    Conor delaney and sean morrissey drop out of the match squad
    Aylward,lennon,leahy,kevin kelly,richie reid must be all still injured
    I'm suprised there's only one change from the tipp match but with such a good performance the last day maybe I shouldn't be suprised.
    It's good to see lester,lyng and bergin return from injury

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement