Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

catseye2 wrote: »
    a win is a win but.. we were outplayed for most of the game

e murph - best in the country, no mistakes even with sun in his eyes and a coule of good saves
    p murph - still struggling - well beaten for scores in first half. looks off the pace looked better in 2nd half and fought hard but spent first half of 2nd half as spare man
    pw - started well. took an awful belt when bravely blocking a run and surprised to see him get up and play on well. didnt return at half time and saw an ambulance arrive to changing rooms. fingers crossed he is ok
    cos - decent game and was clearing some good ball. pulled his hamstring when making a good catch and clearance. will miss rest of campaign i expect
    fogarty - struggled against his man in first half but in second half won some good balls and looked composed
    cleere - good game - and was well involved. good stick player and clears ball quickly most of the time
    prenders- a few errors and can be too slow getting out to ball but never stopped competing
    buckley- a couple of good runs , tidy but not as commanding in the middle
    deegan- involved throughout without doing anything spectactular - great experience
    fenn - better than last week. made the first goal with usual run. scored one good point and missed at least one
    wally - never stopped running but won very little in the air
    tj - a couple of nice runs but prob lost his battle with the half backs. a few errant frees
    blanch. scored d the important goal but too often was second to the ball. 70 minutes will do him good
    richie - got a late dirty belt from crummey early on and after that was dominated by the full back. is wasted at ff and needs to be more in the game if not for puckouts. rightly removed midway through 2nd half
    conor martin - considering he was booked in first minutes for very soft offence he should be v pleased with his show today. in the right place for the goal and took several good points afterwards
    subs
    lyng - both times he was on, he was very industrious and may find a place in the team
    holden - was in trouble from the first ball and after 15 minutes was changed to be the spare man. a couple of times he got out first but takes too long to clear. i still get tremors when i see those 3 green helmets at the back struggling to clear their lines
    joyce - had a powerful 15 minutes and could well get the nod for full back line next game depending on injuries

overall , great to avoid the relegation playoff and wouldnt have any expectations of going far in the league. sending off may have been a but harsh and it enable us to better handle the pressure in second half as sublin probably still had more play than we did

Hard to disagree with most of the above.A win is a win we always find it tough up there.Dublins backs got the better of our fowards but they lacked up front but with the cuala lads they'll be hard beat especially up there.Crummy and tj had a great battle.
    I'll have to eat some humble pie with conor martin doing much more than I expected granted the goal was on a plate but he got some nice points.blanch was terrible in the 1st half but had a good 2nd.Jason cleere had a very good 2nd half and his improving and pat lyng was lively when introduced
    The only downside is padraigs injury it looked like he got it in the neck/face area and he went to Beaumont at half time so hopefully he'll be ok
    Next week's match is at home so should be a good buzz around if the weather is nice.padraig and o shea will more than likely be out so places their up for grabs.Joey looks nervous in the full back line I don't like to see him there

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Padraig and conor if out gives chances to others and that is what this league is anout for us this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

We're Dublin dirty or just physical. They seem to like roughing us up as much as they can. Match appears to have been tough but was it over the edge.

unrealtime wrote: »
    We're Dublin dirty or just physical. They seem to like roughing us up as much as they can. Match appears to have been tough but was it over the edge.

It was physical with some heavy hits,the hogan one was definitely a yellow but for some reason there wasn't even a free.blanchfields one with maguire was a red and he got it.crummys battle with tj had niggles but I don't think it was very dirty match or anything.
    If dublin get the cuala lads back they won't fear galway in the summer and it could be spicey
    Some lads not happy with our performance but Infairness dublin have being very unlucky in some matches and probably aren't getting enough credit for their performances so far

Crummey has a dirty edge to him,while parnelll park is not a ground for a classic.job done today and 3pts from 3 away games.great 2have another game with more players getting a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Good 2pts but the performance was a 6 out of 10. Dublin played well with 14 and always kept in touch and in fairness, it wasn't a 7pt game.

Dubs dominated our forwards through the whole game and the 2 goals we got in first half was the difference.

I think the key was in 2nd half when Dublin got their goal straightaway - Dempsey run on and told Paul Murphy to change with Holden. Holden then went as the spare man. That tightened things up a bit.

I was impressed with Dublin but factor in that Parnell Park is a tight pitch. Decent Kilkenny crowd in and the referee was odd with some of his decisions.

I thought Jason Cleere was our best player from 1-8. Got on ball and moved it on sharply. Eoin Murphy was good also. Deegan was good I thought - worked very hard and chased lost causes.

Fowards, apart from T.J., was patchy enough apart from Conor Martin. He scored 1-5 I think and showed well. I think he was booked after 2mins. Wally was ok, Blanchfield keeps following and is always behind but he has raw ability. Colin got a bang to head and missed a handy score but did well for the goal. Dublin won a lot of high ball in 2nd half without any pressure which allowed them to set up attacks.

Another game to look forward to next week. No O'Shea and no Pádraig I'd say.

Am I correct in saying if we beat wexford we play tipp in the semi final?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Michael Duignan seems to be saying that Padraig Walsh is okay. If he is, there will probably be only one change for the next day, maybe Joyce for Conor O'Shea.

brookville wrote: »
    Yes. In Thurles I think if it happens

Yes, Tipp in semi-final if we over Wexford and they beat Offaly.

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »
    Yes. In Thurles I think if it happens

You wouldn't know with davy he surely won't want to show his hand but it'll be a good opportunity to continue trying players.cleere,deegan and O'Shea have had good leagues hopefully we see a few fresh faces next sunday

Thanks for the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

catseye2 wrote: »
    a win is a win but.. we were outplayed for most of the game

e murph - best in the country, no mistakes even with sun in his eyes and a coule of good saves
    p murph - still struggling - well beaten for scores in first half. looks off the pace looked better in 2nd half and fought hard but spent first half of 2nd half as spare man
    pw - started well. took an awful belt when bravely blocking a run and surprised to see him get up and play on well. didnt return at half time and saw an ambulance arrive to changing rooms. fingers crossed he is ok
    cos - decent game and was clearing some good ball. pulled his hamstring when making a good catch and clearance. will miss rest of campaign i expect
    fogarty - struggled against his man in first half but in second half won some good balls and looked composed
    cleere - good game - and was well involved. good stick player and clears ball quickly most of the time
    prenders- a few errors and can be too slow getting out to ball but never stopped competing
    buckley- a couple of good runs , tidy but not as commanding in the middle
    deegan- involved throughout without doing anything spectactular - great experience
    fenn - better than last week. made the first goal with usual run. scored one good point and missed at least one
    wally - never stopped running but won very little in the air
    tj - a couple of nice runs but prob lost his battle with the half backs. a few errant frees
    blanch. scored d the important goal but too often was second to the ball. 70 minutes will do him good
    richie - got a late dirty belt from crummey early on and after that was dominated by the full back. is wasted at ff and needs to be more in the game if not for puckouts. rightly removed midway through 2nd half
    conor martin - considering he was booked in first minutes for very soft offence he should be v pleased with his show today. in the right place for the goal and took several good points afterwards
    subs
    lyng - both times he was on, he was very industrious and may find a place in the team
    holden - was in trouble from the first ball and after 15 minutes was changed to be the spare man. a couple of times he got out first but takes too long to clear. i still get tremors when i see those 3 green helmets at the back struggling to clear their lines
    joyce - had a powerful 15 minutes and could well get the nod for full back line next game depending on injuries

overall , great to avoid the relegation playoff and wouldnt have any expectations of going far in the league. sending off may have been a but harsh and it enable us to better handle the pressure in second half as sublin probably still had more play than we did

Disagree. Thought it was a definite red card and a nasty dangerous and unnecessary belt, he would have had more chance of preventing the goal had he tried to block the attacker properly.

Definite red card dirty stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Definite red card dirty stroke.

It was. No excuse, especially for such an experienced player. Doubt he will ever wear the jersey again. won't say it cost us the match, but it would have been closer.

Any of you hear word on set up for next year? Seems that they are going to have two eight team divisions with current six plus top two in 1B.

I think that would be retrograde step. Current set up has served up some brilliant games, including every one of them yesterday in both divisions. An 8 team Division 1 with all the main contenders and a 8 team division one with a Dublin/Wexford/Cork hammering the bejaysus out of the other 6/7 would do no one any favours. Why can't they leave well enough alone?

BTW, it must be ironic for Wexford to finally battle their way out and then discover that all they needed to do was finish second!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Deffo a red, no idea what Maguire was at. Maybe he misjudged his positioning and decided to just pull like f**k

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

It's cynical but he should have pulled Blanchfield to the ground and conceded the penalty if he had no chance of legally stopping him

It's cynical but he should have pulled Blanchfield to the ground and conceded the penalty if he had no chance of legally stopping him
    It only seemed to be an afterthought of Blanchfield to complain about the stroke

It only seemed to be an afterthought of Blanchfield to complain about the stroke

Nothing to do with Blanchfield. Under the rules it is a red and the ref was 100per cent right. This ref deserves further recognition. Pity say the over-recognised Barry Kelly did not apply the rules when Larkin was slashed by Cork is few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He was busy scoring a goal at the time, is that okay?

unrealtime wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Blanchfield. Under the rules it is a red and the ref was 100per cent right. This ref deserves further recognition. Pity say the over-recognised Barry Kelly did not apply the rules when Larkin was slashed by Cork is few years ago.

O neills pull on larkin was worse imo.after sending henry off for 2 yellows and letting that go(no wonder kk suppirters cant stand kelly)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Fair play to the ref for not copping out on the McGuire red, keepers and defenders often get away with terrible strokes on players about to score a goal. John McGrath was lucky that his hand wasn't broken by a bad pull as he scored a goal in last years Munster Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

as the person who originally posted that it was a bit harsh from my position in the stand, looking at the TV last night , it was a definite red and fair play to the red and umpire for being firm.
    I suspect if he had grabbed Blanchfield and conceded the pen,he wouldnt have seen the sliothar before it hit the net anyway

This will be interesting if it happens at the week-end:

In the event of teams finishing level after 70 minutes, there will be 20 minutes of extra-time. If that fails to separate them, there will be an additional 10 minutes of extra-time, followed by a free-taking competition.

Yeah. Can't blame any young lad for pursuing a dream.
    I think Cody is going to find out a lot about Conor O'Shea, Jason Cleere, Paddy Deegan, Liam Blanchfield and Conor Martin tomorrow
    brennan playing soccer with waterford but hurling first love.can see him picking hurling over league of ireland(across the water might be different)
    Ciaran Brennan scored 2.20 out of 2.23 for Bennettsbridge in a drawn u16 match against Thomastown this evening despite being double marked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Ciaran Brennan scored 2.20 out of 2.23 for Bennettsbridge in a drawn u16 match against Thomastown this evening despite being double marked.

That's an incredible personal tally, wow! Serious prospect alright

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

phkk wrote: »
    That's an incredible personal tally, wow! Serious prospect alright

Seems to be a serious talent but will the lure of a professional soccer career be too much of a draw for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

Any update on Padraig Walshs Injury, will he be back for Tipp match should Kilkenny progress ? Padraig has been holding the backs together during the league while the others find there form.
    Paul Murphy will have to step up now, very average Sunday as a free man again, seems to struggle on the high ball.

• Advertisement

Village87 wrote: »
    Any update on Padraig Walshs Injury, will he be back for Tipp match should Kilkenny progress ? Padraig has been holding the backs together during the league while the others find there form.
    Paul Murphy will have to step up now, very average Sunday as a free man again, seems to struggle on the high ball.

I definitely wouldn't be risking padraig someone else should get a run but it shouldn't be joey i thought he was extremely nervous when he came on,paul murphy looks to have slipped back a bit but he'll probably improve as the year goes on.we'll probably have two new lads in the full back line and if hogan isn't right he shouldn't be risked
    Maybe joyce should be given a go full back i think he should be ahead of holden in the pecking order.I'd like to see evan cody or delaney in the other corner.

Padraig Walsh is probably out for 2/3 weeks id imagine. Paul Murphy no.3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

TG4 showing Galway v Waterford live & deferred coverage of Kilkenny v Wexford Sunday

He was free and then Dublin got their goal straight after half-time, Murphy went on a man-marking job and Holden was the free man. I think the defence settled a bit after that. Holden was caught out for the goal and Cody didn't want it happening again so they switched.

Maybe this piece is important when we analyse the first few games of the league?

They're through to the hurling league quarter-finals but TJ Reid says Kilkenny are building slowly towards the summer.
    As Brian Cody's charges prepare to face neighbours Wexford this weekend for a place in the last four, former Hurler of the Year Reid confirms to The Irish Examiner that championship is their end game:
    “Ah yeah look its early days; it’s still the end of March. We probably started slow; we are building so championship is where we want to be peaking.
    “At the end of the day nobody remembers the start of the league like, so as long as we progress and fine-tune, I think our standard of hurling is improving each week.
    “You might see that because we are not doing a whole lot of hurling in training because this is physical work at the moment. Once the long evenings come in and the ground starts to harden up, that’s when the hurling will start then. Our hurling is improving, our first touch will improve and our vision for the ball will improve as well.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankCummins

me89 wrote: »
    The lad can barely speak, he's horrendous
    He likes the sound of his own voice what he does for the underage he has to interview Cody after the match a joke, Brendan Hennessy, Michael oLeary are good you could listen to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

He likes the sound of his own voice what he does for the underage he has to interview Cody after the match a joke, Brendan Hennessy, Michael oLeary are good you could listen to them.

???? Who's that Frank?

phkk wrote: »
    ???? Who's that Frank?

Id say his on bout ronnie is he??I didn't hear the commentary as I was at the match but a few lads that did said it was terrible.
    I was told robert lennon a few others that had hamstring trouble are back training so maybe a few of them will be on the panel sunday with the few injuries we have.Hopefully padraig is not risked if his not right and the same for hogan no point playing lads who aren't right
    Hopefully leahy is nearly back the more matches he can get the better.What's the story with john power is he still injured?
    Id much prefer to see joyce at full back and evan cody or delaney corner back in place of O'Shea
    The forwards will probably stay much the same but if hogan isn't fit I'd probably start john joe from last week's panel at 14..still no sign of walsh,bolger or alyward on the panel

Commentary was a cringe fest.injured players shouldnt and wont be risked im sure.can see maryin and deegan and cleere staying in and leahy coming in if fit.would love to see coady delaney walsh bolger getting some sort of a run.

Commentary was a cringe fest.injured players shouldnt and wont be risked im sure.can see maryin and deegan and cleere staying in and leahy coming in if fit.would love to see coady delaney walsh bolger getting some sort of a run.

Cleere improved from the tipp match but deegan/buckley weren't as effective but deegan should get another match.the no 3 and no 4 spot will probably be up for grabs this wknd with the injuries we have.
    Up front hogan will probably be the only change if his not right,colin,tj,walter,martin and banchfield will all probaly start.lyng worked hard when he came on last sunday but he'll probably be more of a worker than a scorer

Would not put in Evan Cody, got roasted v Clare way down the pecking order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Seems to be a serious talent but will the lure of a professional soccer career be too much of a draw for him?

Would be quite hopeful that we would be able to hold on to him. He's a good soccer player without being exceptional, his pace being his main weapon. From what i understand he is supposed to be quite strong academically and his father wants him to finish his schooling and to continue hurling. Either way i couldn't see him going to England at 16 after his Junior Cert like Mikey Drennan.

Would not put in Evan Cody, got roasted v Clare way down the pecking order

While I think delaney would be a better option I wouldn't dismiss a chap after a half hours hurling.the majority of the team were poor that day.conor o shea was roasted last year against clare in thurles but he seems to have learned from it.While I'm not convinced with O'Shea yet I would be concerned bout his pace in the summer I'd have him before joey and pender in the full back line

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

While I think delaney would be a better option I wouldn't dismiss a chap after a half hours hurling.the majority of the team were poor that day.conor o shea was roasted last year against clare in thurles but he seems to have learned from it.While I'm not convinced with O'Shea yet I would be concerned bout his pace in the summer I'd have him before joey and pender in the full back line

While i wouldn't damn a lad for one bad half of hurling, particularly when guys way more experienced than him were way off the pace as well, but i have seen quite a bit of Evan Cody down through the years with school, county underage and club and he never struck me as having Senior Inter County potential. Maybe over time i will be proved wrong but if it was a straight choice between him and Conor Delaney as a replacement for Conor O'Shea on Sunday i would prefer to see Delaney get a shot at it.

Like to see Evan Coady get more chances. Feel he has something to offer.

Coady for me should get another chance the wholw team v clare were poor.

Coady for me should get another chance the wholw team v clare were poor.

I think myself conor delaney is a better hurler than evan cody but it would of being great to see tommy walsh or darren mullen get some league time but mullen,walsh and delaney are all u21 so they'll have a chance to impress at that grade this summer but pat lyng,cleere and richie leahy have done well so far and all are young.I was told there's something like 17 u21s training with the seniors so anyone that puts their hand up when the hurling starts should be pushing for a few places on the panel

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/richie-power-expect-davy-fitzgerald-to-shadow-box-against-kilkenny-446470.html

I think myself that Brian as always will put out his strongest team but davey could do a little more experimenting and try play down his chances for the summer.
    Wexford are probably back since last October and have a lot of fitness and ball work done but I do think the match in june could be a real hum dinger
    It's being a great spring for wexford and fair play to them the game needs them at the top table but it's important that they make an impression in the championship and not run out of steam like clare last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

If Kilkenny were to win on Sunday they face Tipperary in the league semi-final. Just wondering do Kilkenny have a venue home and away arrangement with Tipperary and if so will the semi-final be in Thurles or Nowlan Park??

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    If Kilkenny were to win on Sunday they face Tipperary in the league semi-final. Just wondering do Kilkenny have a venue home and away arrangement with Tipperary and if so will the semi-final be in Thurles or Nowlan Park??

If it was a final it would of being nowlan park as we have an agreement home and away but it's the semis could be gaelic grounds unless the other 3 teams are happy with thurles.I suppose us the supporters thurles is handier.we played Galway a few years ago in the semi in limerick with clare v tipp afterwards so with thurles getting more matches maybe limerick will get this one

If it was a final it would of being nowlan park as we have an agreement home and away but it's the semis could be gaelic grounds unless the other 3 teams are happy with thurles.I suppose us the supporters thurles is handier.we played Galway a few years ago in the semi in limerick with clare v tipp afterwards so with thurles getting more matches maybe limerick will get this one

Yeah, semi-finals were in Thurles last year but probably depends on who's playing. Maybe teams would want a run out in Thurles as they might be playing there later in the year!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement