Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

When are the semi finals fixed for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Village87 wrote: »
    When are the semi finals fixed for ?

Let's get past the yellow bellies first.
    I presume padraig is out along with conor o shea.
    Don't fancy joey full back but what options do we have?
    Joyce in the corner.
    Don't think he will chance delaney or cody but would like to see delaney in there full back.
    Any news on leahy?
    I know ger aylward is nearly there after the torn hamstring but will need another week.
    Is richie hogan still doubtful?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Let's get past the yellow bellies first.
    I presume padraig is out along with conor o shea.
    Don't fancy joey full back but what options do we have?
    Joyce in the corner.
    Don't think he will chance delaney or cody but would like to see delaney in there full back.
    Any news on leahy?
    I know ger aylward is nearly there after the torn hamstring but will need another week.
    Is richie hogan still doubtful?

I agree we have to get over this one first I'm sure davey will have wexford fired up to the last and it's a free game for wexford.I'm looking forward to this one and it wouldn't be the biggest shock if wexford beat us.they'll pack their defence and try isolate mcdonald or guiney.We usually find it hard to break down packed defences
    After looking at joey when he came on against dublin he looks like his confidence is shot and his definitely not the awnser at full back and dublin with limited attacking threat made some hay.Padraig has done well so far and looks like his our number 3.
    Although I wasn't in favour of joyce at 3 earlier in the year he looks like the best of the rest and I'd have him at 3 sunday,I agree he probably wouldn't put delaney or cody in at 4 he could put joey at 4 but I personally wouldn't have him at 3

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Joyce at 3 for me if padraig out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Was chatting too one​ of the panel today. He said Padraig was unlucky where the ball hit him as it was just below his ear, the one place there is no protection. He said it swelled up like a balloon but they did an x-ray after just to make sure. There was no damage and he said he's been ok since. If the swelling has gone down i can see Padraig starting.

Was chatting too one​ of the panel today. He said Padraig was unlucky where the ball hit him as it was just below his ear, the one place there is no protection. He said it swelled up like a balloon but they did an x-ray after just to make sure. There was no damage and he said he's been ok since. If the swelling has gone down i can see Padraig starting.

That's good to hear. Heard the swelling was cruel sunday evening. If he starts all the better.

Any word on the other players who have been out injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy
    P walsh
    pendergast
    forgarty
    cleere
    p Deegan
    o walsh
    bucKley
    c fennelly
    w walsh
    Tj
    Blanchfield
    Ritchie
    Conor martin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Kilkenny v Wexford:

E Murphy
    P Murphy P Walsh S Prendergast

C Fogarty J Cleere P Deegan

O Walsh C Buckley

C Fennelly W Walsh TJ Reid

L Blanchfield R Hogan C Martin

Subs: A Murphy K Joyce J Holden M Walsh J Lyng L Ryan P Lyng JJ Farrell J Maher M Bergin M Malone

• Advertisement

Strong team good to see j lyng and jonjie and lester back in the squad.deegan at left half back is interesting.walsh and buckley gives us legs to match wexford running game.would like to see richie further out the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

All-boro midfield. Can't lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The two lads have a great understanding with each other and played as the county midfield pair at underage up along until U21. Anytime they play together in midfield for the club they are almost unstoppable. Hopefully they can work well on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

This is where we are right now. We can have little better to add other than Mick Fennelly and Ger who would make one hell of a difference to forwards. Backs are now a work in progress and the formation needs to prove itself.

The two lads have a great understanding with each other and played as the county midfield pair at underage up along until U21. Anytime they play together in midfield for the club they are almost unstoppable. Hopefully they can work well on Sunday.

That's a valid point. Should have a decent understanding forged over playing together in midfield for a few years within a club context. It should help on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I'm happy to see oillie walsh starting he deserves another chance.pity cody didn't trust delaney at 4 but Shane has done ok at 7 but it's interesting that he prefers to move Shane back to 4 than replace him with someone new.Shane has being tried and tested at this level and his only ok I'd much prefer a young tigerish inexperienced corner back than a lad 31 years of age who probably won't get much better.even joyce I feel a better option
    Good to see joe lyng back but dissapointed not to see bolger,alyward or walsh on panel

• Advertisement

brookville wrote: »
    I'm happy to see oillie walsh starting he deserves another chance.pity cody didn't trust delaney at 4 but Shane has done ok at 7 but it's interesting that he prefers to move Shane back to 4 than replace him with someone new.Shane has being tried and tested at this level and his only ok I'd much prefer a young tigerish inexperienced corner back than a lad 31 years of age who probably won't get much better.even joyce I feel a better option
    Good to see joe lyng back but dissapointed not to see bolger,alyward or walsh on panel

Agree re corner back. Would like to see delaney in there.
    Aylward is not right yet. Another week will see him near filly recovered from torn hamstring.
    Can't see john walsh or bolger being added to panel at this stage.

Any word on Kevin Kelly and John Power?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

Kevin kelly and Richie leahy struggling with hamstring injurys . Kelly has been plagued with hamstring trouble since last year's all ireland hopefully it's something he can over come . He was one of a number of players in the frame for available positions in the full forward line .

Just looking at the league table and Kilkenny have scored 5-85, conceded 6-82 - a score difference of 0.

Waterford, who came third, finished on 6pts have a scoring difference of -6.

While Cork, who came second in the league have a scoring difference of 1pt.

Clare, who are in the relegation play-off have a scoring difference of -1.

Interesting! Just shows how tight League 1A is.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Can't beat Wexford at home now. Ah for feck sake lads. Fair play to Wexford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Sounds like we were poor, 3 divison 1 A teams beaten today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I cannot believe how stupid we are. For years we've been playing against teams with a sweeper and still we produce that. Granted Wexford swamped their half but to react to it by lumping more forwards in on top of an already packed half is ridiculous and a complete failure by the management.

We should have held players out and picked scores from out the field but no ball after ball after ball lumped in. Even against the wind 65 yards is achievable. All it did was leave us completely exposed for runners from the back again.

Brain dead. Line completely out thought by Davy. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭me89

Only for Eoin Murphy the game would have been over at half time, some great saves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Wexford fully deserved that win, a 12 point winning margin would not have flattered them. Kilkenny lost all shape, not able to cope with a sweeper or players running from deep. Championship match in Wexford Park will be an extremely challenging hurdle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well at least this result happened today and not in the championship. Serious wake-up call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think most people could see today coming a mile off, it's better that we lose to them now though instead of next June, the lads will learn a lot from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

How did Martin and Blancfield play today? Result not terribly important but would have been good to get another competitive game or two.

Blanchfield got 3 points and set up a couple more. Martin was quiet.

Blanchfield got 3 points and set up a couple more. Martin was quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

DAVY FITZGERALD LED Wexford to a first win against Kilkenny at Nowlan Park in 60 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 fdsfdsahhertdd

Hitchens wrote: »
    DAVY FITZGERALD LED Wexford to a first win against Kilkenny at Nowlan Park in 60 years

Go Wexford and Davy!
    Davy has a history of getting the impossibe unlikely done.
    But the Wexford lads did the work and were very well worth their win today.

That's exactly what hurling needs.

Respect from a cat. Nice one!

I suppose if you play into your opposition's hands you deserve to be beaten. I don't know what instructions the lads got going out today but this is my take on it.

1) We knew from the start how wexford were going to line out from the start and did nothing to counter this.
    2) Wexfords extra man dominated and they used the ball very wisely in the main picking out their players with decent supply.
    3) In the main with some exceptions our spare man was by passed their deliveries. Their forwards were able to field in front of our backs and take their scores far too easily.
    4) When our short puck outs were played to our spare man we just landed it up in hope of our forwards getting possession which just didn't happen. How many times did we just drive the ball 70 yards for it to come straight back at us.
    5) We never seemed to want to give low fast ball to midfielders or forwards.

Eoin Murphy: Excellent again today and brought off three unbelievable saves. Would be in awful trouble without him.
    Paul Murphy: Started free and played well in the 1st 15 mins but got pulled all over the place.
    Padraig Walsh: Hurled well enough and in fairness to him tried hard to stem the forward play from wexford.
    Shane Prendergast: Didn't have his best game and is not up to it in the full back line.
    Paddy deegan: Aside from Murphy I thought was one of our best players today. Worked well half back.
    Jason Cleere: Hurled ok but needs to get the ball away quicker and to have better delivery to our midfielders and forwards.
    Lester Ryan: Tried hard but was dragged all over the field.
    Cillian Buckley: Poor today and like lester was dragged everywhere. Didn't control midfield at all.
    Ollie walsh: Hurled ok and made a few telling runs but there was a big hole in the middle and midfield was bypassed am awful lot.
    Tj: Got a lot of hardship but wasn't allowed to control the game.
    Walter: Poor today. Needs to be a lot stronger and field a lot better.
    Colin fennelly: A few runs but just like most of our forwards got swamped in possession and had no support.
    Richie hogan: Poor again today. Improved ed hen he came out but delivery to inside forward line not good.
    Blanchfield: Our best forward today but had no support.
    Conor martin: Tried hard but needs low ball.
    John joe: Didn't make any impression but didn't get decent supply either.

All in all we got hurled out of it and wexford wanted the win so much more.
    It was just disappointing to see us try the same thing over and over and nottry a different route.
    We have to be better at moving into space in our forwards but this meansour backs and midfielders need to give far better ball in.
    If we deliver a 40 yard pass crossfield to a forward out in front of his man it opens spaces but if we just lump it up high into our forwards then what do we expect. We don't have Henry or gorta any more to land it in high every time.
    Also we need to be in our opposition's faces far more just like wexford were with us.
    With all that said I am still optimistic that we will turn it around for the championship.
    2 months of hard work ahead will sort this I believe and have us ready for winning back liam mccarthy.
    Conor Fogarty, Richie leahy, ger aylward and michael fennelly all to return to strengthen it up but we need to put the heads down and work and I believe we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Very poor league from Kilkenny. Narrowly missed a relegation match against Clare. We would have lost that game.
    Poor against Waterford.
    Shockingly dreadful against Clare.
    Average against Cork.
    Good against Tipperary. However relied too much on Reid. Without him and Tipp taken their chances we would have been well beaten.
    Dublin-From accounts we were second fiddle for much of this match
    First loss to Wexford since 04. Wexford underage success against us was bound to catch us at Senior level.
    Verdict- This team as it stands is not good enough to win an All Ireland, now and over the next few years.
    Our only hope is that we hopefully have a few good underage teams coming up in the next few years.
    Mark my words Tipp will win dominate the next 5 years

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Very poor league from Kilkenny. Narrowly missed a relegation match against Clare. We would have lost that game.
    Poor against Waterford.
    Shockingly dreadful against Clare.
    Average against Cork.
    Good against Tipperary. However relied too much on Reid. Without him and Tipp taken their chances we would have been well beaten.
    Dublin-From accounts we were second fiddle for much of this match
    First loss to Wexford since 04. Wexford underage success against us was bound to catch us at Senior level.
    Verdict- This team as it stands is not good enough to win an All Ireland, now and over the next few years.
    Our only hope is that we hopefully have a few good underage teams coming up in the next few years.

Probably not too far away from the truth but in my opinion not the way to look at it.
    Of course we weren't great v waterford and did cop out v clare but to suggest that tipp will dominate the next 5 years is way off.
    We had to try a lot of new players, much more than recent years and we have had a very unlucky run with injuries.
    Give the lads the chance and they will be right come championship. It has been a tough league but look at the positives.
    Pat lyng
    Richie leahy
    Paddy deegan
    Blanchfield

Lyng and leahy were very unlucky with injuries
    Lester too.
    Have faith. These lads deserve our support through the good and bad and let me tell you we are by no means finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

Rather than talk about individuals, the game went like this.

KK desperately hung on in this game due to an amazing display by Murphy in goal. Watching hurling a long time and have never seen a keeper put in a better shift than what Murphy did today. All Star nomination already.

The backs were completely bossed out of it. Wexford forwards running with even five forwards at times was too much for us to handle. KK were once a side that had backs that commanded their positions and took offence when the ball entered their half. Not anymore. Weak as water. The full back P Walsh is the only player who played well today. Everyone else was average to poor to very poor and dropped their heads and didn't want to know.

Midfield - KK were destroyed. Ollie Walsh has a lot of good things going for him. But himself and Buckley never marked a man all day.

Forwards - but for TJ we were hammered. The two young corner forwards did not set the world alight nor did they fight for the ball. Leaving four forwards to carry six backs.

On a while we were shocking. The most annoying thing is that we were bossed all over the field with no fight.

Davy has learned from Tipp how to beat this KK side drag the half back line out and pass the ball around in midfield as they don't mark up. Then play angle balls into the forwards with runners from midfield running onto a pass from the forward in possession. Happened at least 10 times today and Cody did nothing.
    Finally, Richie Hogan is a fantastic forward but only a good midfielder. Please leave him in the forwards.

In summary - We were beat both on the pitch and the sideline today.

A poster on this thread took a swipe at me a few weeks ago that Cody has nothing to learn from Davy and one or two more had a few sniggers. Well a few of us can read the game quite well and can see this team disintegrating in front of us hence our comments back then, that were not to everyone's liking but were the facts. Cody got handed a lesson today on how to make youngsters men, and yes Davy gave it to him. I hope he took note. I hope he learned something.

Wexford where better than us today and wanted it more.with sweepers you must get ahead or at least stay within a point.wind and us pushing up to much left space at the back.first half with the wind we should have launched balls over the sweeper and pushed a man up.what happened with conor fogarty?also very tactical fouling by wexford (no cards from ref)also should their keeper have been sent off.

mullinr2 wrote: »

Probably, but I would love to see Waterford continue to grow as real championship contenders.

Who wouldn't love to see the next Battle-of-the-Giants being Waterford v Tipperary? Or Waterford v Cork?

Of course I would much prefer if the battle could be Leitrim v Wicklow but that might be some way down the road.

This Cat is very happy to congratulate Wexford on a job very well done today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

I dont think 2 months work is going to cure this teams problem......we are a very average outfit now......but it has being coming ...weve got 5 or 6 players at most up to required level , the standard after that is very very weak ...i think people got a little excited with result against tip but it was only there second team...this team wont be anywhere near contesting for all ireland this year or for nxt few years im afraid ....as for walter needing to improve with his fielding good luck with that for his size he must be worst i ever see trying to catch a ball

davidx40 wrote: »
    I dont think 2 months work is going to cure this teams problem......we are a very average outfit now......but it has being coming ...weve got 5 or 6 players at most up to required level , the standard after that is very very weak ...i think people got a little excited with result against tip but it was only there second team...this team wont be anywhere near contesting for all ireland this year or for nxt few years im afraid ....as for walter needing to improve with his fielding good luck with that for his size he must be worst i ever see trying to catch a ball

Eoin Murphy, Padraig Walsh, Cillian Buckley, Paul Murphy, Richie Hogan, TJ Reid, Conor Fogarty, Walter Walsh, Colin Fennelly, Ger Aylward, Michael Fennelly, im counting 11 strong players with promising players like Jason Cleere, Liam Blanchfield, Richie Leahy to add to number, we are nowhere near as strong as a few years ago but id be confident we will be competitive, can you remember back to the 2011 league final, optimistic guys like you were saying the same we are doomed things then as well.

• Advertisement

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Eoin Murphy, Padraig Walsh, Cillian Buckley, Paul Murphy, Richie Hogan, TJ Reid, Conor Fogarty, Walter Walsh, Colin Fennelly, Ger Aylward, Michael Fennelly, im counting 11 strong players with promising players like Jason Cleere, Liam Blanchfield, Richie Leahy to add to number, we are nowhere near as strong as a few years ago but id be confident we will be competitive, can you remember back to the 2011 league final, optimistic guys like you were saying the same we are doomed things then as well.

Agree totally.
    Don't forget championships are not won in march or April. We should know that at this stage.
    By the way tipperary had a very strong team out when we played them. Using the bull**it term 2nd team out that attitude stinks.
    Of course we have problems but ta king things to the level we need is not as big a step as dome think.

Wexford were agressive and wanted a battle. They dominated all over the pitch. They deserved to win and win by more in fairness. Only for Scruff Murphy they could have scored another 3 goals. Top keeper in Ireland.

This season has been a learning curve for the younger lads and that's a positive.

Big thing for me is, after all these games, I don't think we are any further on interms of our defence - specifically our full back line. Every time runners burst through, I fear a goal opportunity.

Hopefully this will be used to motivate the lads in June. Wexford had an edge to them.

Topcat32 wrote: »

Of those names you mentioned I would remove - Walter, Colin, Ger (played one good season).
    Michael Fennelly will Probably not play again.

Buckley, Fogarty and Walsh are decent, but not very good.

TJ, Richie and Murphy are very good.

Wexford were agressive and wanted a battle. They dominated all over the pitch. They deserved to win and win by more in fairness. Only for Scruff Murphy they could have scored another 3 goals. Top keeper in Ireland.

This season has been a learning curve for the younger lads and that's a positive.

Big thing for me is, after all these games, I don't think we are any further on interms of our defence - specifically our full back line. Every time runners burst through, I fear a goal opportunity.

Hopefully this will be used to motivate the lads in June. Wexford had an edge to them.

Our full back line with Paul murphy padraig walsh are not the problem. Would love to see delaney getting in there but hasn't happened yet. Joyce might be an option if he is not going to try delaney

Dionysis wrote: »
    Of those names you mentioned I would remove - Walter, Colin, Ger (played one good season).
    Michael Fennelly will Probably not play again.

Buckley, Fogarty and Walsh are decent, but not very good.

TJ, Richie and Murphy are very good.

Don't agree with any of that outside of us possibly not seeing Michael Fennelly play again.

Our full back line with Paul murphy padraig walsh are not the problem. Would love to see delaney getting in there but hasn't happened yet. Joyce might be an option if he is not going to try delaney

• Advertisement

KK need a full back and a centre back with a bit of bite in them. So what if they are not the finished article, but Cody should play the best we have and continues ye with it until they learn the role. Padraig Walsh is no full back.

As an aside, when Ireland were struggling for props the time of the Bull Hayes,the IRFU took it upon themselves to develop a number of options in this area in the coming years. Maybe KK development squads along with Cody need to take a lesson from rugby here and start developing talent for roles rather than trying to shoe horn in s make shift full back.

davidx40 wrote: »

... much blather deleted ... as for walter needing to improve with his fielding good luck with that for his size he must be worst i ever see trying to catch a ball

I see the up-thumb button.
    I can't find the thumb-down - we need one for nasty posts like this.

People need to get a grip.were doomed tipp will dominate for next 5 years😀.todays result has reflected the league this year for all the teams.good and bad from all counties except tipp.3 1b teams won today are cork and waterford doomed as well.different team and conditions come summer.we will be in the shake up im sure.

Dionysis wrote: »

KK need a full back and a centre back with a bit of bite in them. So what if they are not the finished article, but Cody should play the best we have and continues ye with it until they learn the role. Padraig Walsh is no full back.

As an aside, when Ireland were struggling for props the time of the Bull Hayes,the IRFU took it upon themselves to develop a number of options in this area in the coming years. Maybe KK development squads along with Cody need to take a lesson from rugby here and start developing talent for roles rather than trying to shoe horn in s make shift full back.
    So who is the full back and centre back that should be playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Well deserved win for Wexford today you couldn't argue with the result and it could of been worse.

Really think we need to look at our forwards. None seem to be able to win their own ball (tj/Richie exceptions) at the moment. This has been happening throughout the league and is worrying.

Why Richie was out midfield was beyond me too.

Frustrating to see long balls pumped down time after time and sent right back out again. Even with the short puckouts nothing changed tactically, PW etc just lobbed long ball in again.

I would have liked to see a few more sub's thrown in today to the forwards also.

Don't think we are quite as bad as we showed today but there's still a lot of mistakes that need to be tightened up on. More shocking passes etc today that just cost scores.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement