Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I was listening on kclr last week and it sounded like Paul Murphy was having an absolute stormer, he was doing the work of three men.

It must be very confusing when he plays left handed alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

pat 22 wrote: »
    Get over it man!! I think Brian is entitled to pick him and from all accounts he had a fine game against waterford. I'm sure he'll be dropped if he doesn't step up.

That was a funny line you had in there, (how does BC get away with it ) who are you to question a man that's won 10 all Ireland?

Yes 10 All Irelands he has won but that doesnt make him immune to criticism. Even the greats make mistakes sometimes but they get it right more often than not and thats what makes them so great. Even the great Alex Ferguson made mistakes in his time at Manchester United. Now Im not getting involved in this particular argument as I havent seen enough of DC to speculate so at the moment Ill keep faith in Brians selection. But it annoys me when people point out things and often they are right, they are shot down with this nonsense which is completely unfair.

Yes he has won 10 AI and yes we love him for it but if Brian is doing something wrong then people are entitled to point it out instead of posters shooting them down with the "Hes won 10 All Irelands lark" feigning complete ignorance to the blatent flaw or error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

pmy.murphy wrote:
    Yes 10 All Irelands he has won but that doesnt make him immune to criticism. Even the greats make mistakes sometimes but they get it right more often than not and thats what makes them so great. Even the great Alex Ferguson made mistakes in his time at Manchester United. Now Im not getting involved in this particular argument as I havent seen enough of DC to speculate so at the moment Ill keep faith in Brians selection. But it annoys me when people point out things and often they are right, they are shot down with this nonsense which is completely unfair.

pmy.murphy wrote:

He's won eleven lads. I must admit though, it's hard to keep count at this stage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

pmy.murphy wrote: »

Yes he has won 10 AI and yes we love him for it but if Brian is doing something wrong then people are entitled to point it out instead of posters shooting them down with the "Hes won 10 All Irelands lark" feigning complete ignorance to the blatent flaw or error.

I won't bother getting involved in an argument about it either bcos there is no argument, the 10 all Irelands speak for themselves. He's obviously done a he'll of alot right!

And I doubt very much BC is checking in here for your opinion or anyone elses!
    There's always people that love to whinge. And you in fairness sound like one of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

TG4 reckon Hogan is out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Good intensity to the match so far. Worrying though that Tipp have created two goal chances.

The forwards are starting to get more into the game now thankfully.

Maher could've seen red for that challenge on TJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Thought it was a red myself. Very dangerous.

TJ is pure class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Maher could've seen red for that challenge on TJ.

Should have been red but that incident aside McCallister is absolutely riding Tipp

TJ is the best forward on display by a country mile. Wally, James Maher and Kevin Kelly have done pretty well. Colin Fennelly and John Power need to up their game.

Actually I'd take off Power.

Kilkenny playing deep against the wind first half. Cody well aware of Tipps direct style of play last week. Madness from Tipp to be honest.

And they can't do it against the wind second half, you would hope they won't try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Any word on Hogan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭blue note

Kilkenny playing deep against the wind first half. Cody well aware of Tipps direct style of play last week. Madness from Tipp to be honest.

And they can't do it against the wind second half, you would hope they won't try.

Don't be ridiculous, Cody doesn't do tactics.

That wind must be a bitch, both TJ and Bubbles have missed relatively straightforward frees.

Definitely time to make a few changes in the forwards.

Farell on for Power.

I think if we are going to win this we'll need a goal. Can't see us getting one though.

You beauty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Farell on for Power.

I think if we are going to win this we'll need a goal. Can't see us getting one though.

There you have it, like bloody clockwork

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

Farell on for Power.

Never say never my good man ....

Ah Fennelly that was a woeful shot from the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

Lovely by Kelly ... Could have taken the point

Lovely stuff from Kelly. He could have taken an easy point but realised the goal was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Goals win games, Tipp missed their three gilt edged goal chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

5 point difference is quite unfair in the end, but no excuses there. Can't miss 3 goal opportunities and expect to win against Kilkenny.

Off to hope for a better result next time.

Tipp will be disgusted. The amount of goal chances they created and couldn't raise the green flag.

Well done to the lads, great to get the victory. They still have a lot to work on, but this will bring them on a lot.

Kilkenny draw deep, Tipperary commit more men forward. Classical tactical naivety we've seen from them for the last 6 years.

Great game though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Keeper was superb today , good saves and swept up everything that came near him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

As a neutral.1 pos 1 neg
    Eoin Murphy was very good.
    Diarmuid Cody lacks a lot of experience.

Oh and I'll never listen to a game on Tipp Fm again the Bias was unbelievable. Few decisions didn't go Tipps way in fairness but two commentators were all ireland criers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Good strong finish when game was in the melting pot. Contained Tipp in the first half and opened up in second. Full back line worked hard and although Tipp had goal chances, that's no goals conceded in 2 games. That's a positive and can be built on.

Thought Lennon was excellent especially in the 2nd half. Maher, Wally and Kelly were good up front. Maher kept us in touch in first half. Good experience for him. Wally worked hard and got on a lot of ball while Kelly, outwith the goals, won a couple of crucial frees to keep us in touch. He's busy and most others would have put it over the bar to push it out to 2 again. I like his ruthlessness!!!!

TJ is just..TJ. His last score under the stand was super. He hardly moved!

We did hit a lot of wides but that can be worked on in next few weeks. Maybe 12 wides?? Workrate was good and intensity was good also. Waterford game brought the lads on a lot.

Pitch was good - more conducive to open play.

Any word on Richie and Joey?

By the way, does KK remind anyone of DJ..his style of running etc? Especially with 14 on his back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

As a neutral.1 pos 1 neg
    Eoin Murphy was very good.
    Diarmuid Cody lacks a lot of experience.

Oh and I'll never listen to a game on Tipp Fm again the Bias was unbelievable. Few decisions didn't go Tipps way in fairness but two commentators were all ireland criers

What did they say about Maher's lunge on TJ? I think Tipp are a bit rash in the tackle at crucial times, especially when the game is still there in the melting pot! They gave away a few needless ones in 2nd half when there was no need to dive in to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

On Buckley's omission, apparently he picked up some kind of a minor leg injury during the week so wasn't risked. Didn't look too immobile running up and down the sideline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

By the way, does KK remind anyone of DJ..his style of running etc? Especially with 14 on his back.

that thought did occur to me today, the way he turned and took off.

KCLR is probably the same. You'd have to expect it from the local radio station :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Firstly today was about the performance which was much improved.tipp opened us up several times and we were lucky not to concede a goal but the fifteen minutes before half time we tightned up and took over.tipp left us in the game and fair play to kelly for going for the second one it would of being easier take the point.i was delighted with james maher and hopefully he can keep improving.i thought lennon looked very slow in the first half but much improved in the 2nd especially under the high ball he was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Agree re lennon.improved dramatically in the 2nd half.farrell did more in 5 minutes than power did in 60.kelly and maher both looked lively and struck some great scores. Tj pure class.also thought pender was excellent.great game and a great result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Hitchens

whupped 'em again Josey! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

What's the issue with John Power lads? Watching him at minor level he was the main player from the 2010 team and looked like the real deal. He hasn't been setting the world alight at senior level. He has all the skill but is so lazy.

mullinr2 wrote: »
    What's the issue with John Power lads? Watching him at minor level he was the main player from the 2010 team and looked like the real deal. He hasn't been setting the world alight at senior level. He has all the skill but is so lazy.

He looked so lethargic today. And he looks like that too often these days.
    He's been playing for UCC in the Fitzgibbon cup so his fitness levels should be excellent. He got a lucky break today by getting a starting place due to Richie Hogan's injury, but he was the poorest of all the forwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Great response from all the players today after last weeks result, as others have said earlier I was delighted to see Kevin Kelly have the balls to go for the jugular when the easy option was to tap it over, Huge potential.

Lennon did look very slow on the turn in the first half and I think Tipp playing into the wind in the second half meant the ball was dropping straight down on top of him which suits his style.

Wally gets his fair share of criticism on here but I thought he really stood up today and showed bit of leadership. I also thought our goalkeeper was immense again today, huge consistency from him and I wouldn't swap him for any goalkeeper in the country.

Probably another masterstroke from Cody to give certain lads their chance on home territory today too, much easier to settle into a game in familiar surroundings as opposed to being thrown into a dog fight on that bog last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭blackcard

I would give Robert Lennon, Diarmuid Cody, James Maher and Kevin Kelly a start the next day, maybe have Cillian Buckley in midfield alongside Conor Fogarty. If two of these new lads make a breakthrough, I would be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

KCLR is probably the same. You'd have to expect it from the local radio station :)

I would have to say whenever I hear Brendan Hennessy and Michael Walsh on KCLR they are very fair. Sure they want KK to win but if they see a bad call for either side they call it and they give credit to the opposition when we concede a score.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

He isn't good enough lads , end of story! When you look at kevin kelly and james maher, they have IT! Xfactor and all that that crap.They have what's needed to bring us to the next level, and that is being leaders for the next few years! john joe is good as a helper, mark kelly has'nt got it. I dunno about brian kennedy. But the time has come to give these lads a decent chance and they tokk it today and hopefully will get more chances

• Registered Users Posts: 21 KKCATDownUnder

I'm sorry but young Cody isn't up to it either , did he strike a ball yesterday or even last weekend either ????

By the way has Padraic Maher something on that ref ???? Surely he should have seen red after the high challenge on TJ , I know it wasn't a wild swing but he broke his hurl of TJ's neck ???? He should have definitely seen red in 2012 AI semi and yesterday also .

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

Good win yesterday, really had to dig deep to pull it out of the fire. Seemed for about a ten minute period in the second half that the KK players were blowing hard but they seem to kick on near the finish through sheer grit and determination.

Thought Eoin Murphy, Padraig Walsh, Walter Walsh and TJ Reid were very good. Delighted to see Kevin Kelly pick off the scores and look forward to see him get more gametime. Hopefully he can find a way to get on more ball because all the ability and skill is there in abundance and he will run up scores if he gets ball in hand. If he ups the work rate then we have a great player on our hands.

Great for James Maher to score four points of Brendan Maher, no mean feat on your starting debut. Hopefully he can kick on from there and fight for a place.

John Power is so frustrating to watch, seems to be everywhere the ball isn't and never real takes anything on with conviction. I would see him fighting for a place on the bench as opposed to the team if his present form continues.

Tipperary still have same problem of having too many luxury wristy hurlers that fall in and out of the game. Also Padraic Maher had the worst match I have seen him play and should have been taken off very early, also should have seen red particularly when the ref was so card happy for other incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Lads what age is Lennon?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

lim4ev wrote: »
    Lads what age is Lennon?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

From what i can gather from talking to people from his club and from UCC (for whom his form this winter by all accounts was very poor) while he loves his hurling it's not the be all and end all with him. He just seems to lack that manic hunger and desire and this seems to manifest itself in a questionable work rate on the pitch.

I would never criticism a young lad who wasn't willing to put his whole life on hold for a sport and that seems to be the case with John. I would be surprised if he was still playing Inter County hurling in 3 or 4 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

pat 22 wrote: »
    I won't bother getting involved in an argument about it either bcos there is no argument, the 10 all Irelands speak for themselves. He's obviously done a he'll of alot right!

And I doubt very much BC is checking in here for your opinion or anyone elses!
    There's always people that love to whinge. And you in fairness sound like one of those.

Yes he has done a hell of a lot right but that shouldnt blind people when he does make a very rare error. What am I whinging about? Everyone has the right to give their opinion on here, Brian does make the odd mistake from time to time but you seem to be too ignorant to offer a fair and balanced opinion. The moral of the story is everyone has the right to point it out if they think he could have done a certain thing better. Id say if he decided to ostracise TJ and Richie Hogan from the panel in the morning cos he didnt like them, im sure you would think thats ok.

Not taking anything away from Brian, hes a great man but he is most certainly not immune to criticism when he does make that odd mistake which fortunately dont come very often and you dont have the right to shoot people down who do offer their own opinion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement