Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Watching tommy last night also seeing gorta henry larks cha jackie hickey hogan fogarty henry etc we were truly blessed.hopefully all the young kids in kk watched that last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Am I right in saying he made his league debut at corner back against Waterford in 03 ? Think he was marking Paul O'brien (who gave him enough of it). Flannery was sent off for Waterford. Tommy went free and hoovered up ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Watching tommy last night also seeing gorta henry larks cha jackie hickey hogan fogarty henry etc we were truly blessed.hopefully all the young kids in kk watched that last night.

You forgot Henry

You forgot Henry

No I didnt read it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

My favourite memory of Tommy was not shown and never can be as it was in a training session. It was a lovely summers evening sitting in the old stand with the sun in my eyes and down in front of me were Tommy and Henry marking each other (Henry was shooting into the town end).

So the first ball goes in and Tommy catches it and drives clear sets up a score.
    A minute later the ball is back and this time Henry looked primed to catch it, then "slash" Tommy whips it clear.
    Next ball in, "bang" Tommy hops off him and they end up punching each other on the ground for a minute, Tommy pops up and trots back to his spot. Henry starts getting angry now and starts shouting to a deaf Cody about what Tommys doing.
    Next ball in low, "slash" Tommy pulls on the ball and drives it clear he got a bit of Henry too, the protest mounts.
    Another high ball another clearance for Tommy, however the ball comes straight back to them "BANG" Tommy flies through Henry knocks him over, gathers the ball and delivers a lovely ball, ended up a goal. Henry is now literally loosing his s***.
    No ball comes to them for a minute. Now a lovely hard fast ball is driven up the line to Henry. He's out in front but Tommy is almost on his back, glued to him. Henry puts the hurl down to gather the ball. At the last second Henry turns the boss vertical, the ball flies straight past the hurl through his legs and Tommys. Before Tommy knew what had happened Henry had turned gathered the ball and slotted over the bar.
    Next ball in BANG and Tommy drove it off up the field.
    Cody blew the whistle and drew to a close the best duel of hurlers I think I've ever seen. 20mins of pure grit, skill and determination from both of them I'll never forget it as long as I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I think you missed the sarcasm in his voice!

I think you missed the sarcasm in his voice!
    👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You forgot Henry

No I didnt read it again.
    In fairness he probably should be listed twice.

In fairness he probably should be listed twice.

👍

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Thought JJ merited a mention but etc. is good

• Advertisement

Jj any chance he might come back��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankCummins

Hope our minors can continue their wining way in the park Saturday Wexford hurling is on a high at the moment the confidence is high.

I would be happy with our minors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

If anyone has a spare ticket for the covered stand I'd be willing to buy it at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Handy one for the kittens in the end. First half was competitive with the wind behind the yellowbellies. They were though reliant on scores from frees such was their lack of an edge in attack. Kilkenny backed by the wind in the second half were by far the better team. The goal early in the second half effectively ended the contest. Best for Kilkenny were the entire full back line who were dogged; Molloy at HB who was also my motm; the midfield won their battle; up front Mullen and the nippy Kelly were lively. Starting sub Ryan was also good under the high ball in the second half.

Good win for minors.mullen seems a scoring machine.after the schools final we might get to cross swords with tipp later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Hard to judge Kilkenny minors as the opposition they have faced to date has been poor. Adrian Mullen definitely has a touch of class. Some of the backs are on the small side. I would be hopeful that KK would win Leinster at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Nip and tuck in first half but KK too good in 2nd half with breeze. Wexford faded in 2nd half. Mullan wasn't in game that much but he had a serious effective whwn he had possession. Lad marking him tried to batter him everytime he had ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Does anyone here have any report on the u21 challenge v clare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭randd1

Tipp prising Wexford open in a way we simply can't given the way we play.

You'd have to wonder how our lads are being coached at the moment even in the basics compared to the Tipp front 8, they're so more creative it's impossible at this time of the year to see us beating them.

randd1 wrote: »

You'd have to wonder how our lads are being coached at the moment even in the basics compared to the Tipp front 8, they're so more creative it's impossible at this time of the year to see us beating them.

They do use their forwards in a way that we haven't being doing this year.
    We have 7 weeks to the wexford match in Wexford Park and with a few rounds of league matches taking place along with the u21 game their won't be a massive amount of time together but it's probably no harm for the lads to get club action under way.
    You would hope that the necessary hunger will be there v wexford and our full squad is available. Hopefully getting past them will move the whole thing on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Tipp are our neighbours and biggest rivals etc. etc. but you have to admire their attacking play. They are so creative as you say, and they conjure up some great moves and passes and score great points and goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

They do use their forwards in a way that we haven't being doing this year.
    We have 7 weeks to the wexford match in Wexford Park and with a few rounds of league matches taking place along with the u21 game their won't be a massive amount of time together but it's probably no harm for the lads to get club action under way.
    You would hope that the necessary hunger will be there v wexford and our full squad is available. Hopefully getting past them will move the whole thing on.

How many under 21s are likely to start? If I had to guess id say two Jason Cleere and Liam Blanchfield with Riche Leahy and Pat Lyng making the bench.

The team id expect to see against Wexford would be as follows

E Murphy

Murphy Walsh O Shea
    Joyce Cleere Buckley

Fogarty Deegan

Fennelly Reid Walsh

Blanchfield Hogan Aylward

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Tipp look unstoppable this year. They remind me of Kilkenny 06-10. Tipp can up their game when needed. The difference between them and us at the moment, is that their backs look up before hitting the ball and their forwards are constantly moving offering options for the backs. They then have 4 top class forwards to punish teams. Kilkenny have fallen so far back from Tipp its frightening

Topcat32 wrote: »
    How many under 21s are likely to start? If I had to guess id say two Jason Cleere and Liam Blanchfield with Riche Leahy and Pat Lyng making the bench.

The team id expect to see against Wexford would be as follows

E Murphy

Murphy Walsh O Shea
    Joyce Cleere Buckley

Fogarty Deegan

Fennelly Reid Walsh

Blanchfield Hogan Aylward

I would see leahy very close to starting. He has the traits and just needs a few consistent games with the team. Blanchfield to me needs to trim up a little to gain an extra yard on defenders. Our ability to get into space from 10 to 15 will determine how far we go in the championship.

• Advertisement

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Tipp look unstoppable this year. They remind me of Kilkenny 06-10. Tipp can up their game when needed. The difference between them and us at the moment, is that their backs look up before hitting the ball and their forwards are constantly moving offering options for the backs. They then have 4 top class forwards to puonish teams. Kilkenny have fallen so far back from Tipp its frightening

Frightening is a little strong, they have reached a stage where they have loads of class players at their peak who have strong experience of intercounty hurling and have not yet reached the point where there legs have started to go, we have lost some brilliant players in the last 3-4 years Delaney, Walsh, Larkin, Shefflin, Power, Tyrell, Hogan among others, was always going to be difficult to stay at the top given the talent and leadership that has gone out of the squad.

I would see leahy very close to starting. He has the traits and just needs a few consistent games with the team. Blanchfield to me needs to trim up a little to gain an extra yard on defenders. Our ability to get into space from 10 to 15 will determine how far we go in the championship.

I think it will take a lot of gym work for Blanchfield over the next few years to build up his power and acceleration, when he gets running he is ok but is very slow over the first few yards, that being said if the team was picked today he would be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Tipp look to have serious squad but and I agree they haver 4/5 top class fowards where we have probably 2.tipp are ahead of everyone and we're in the next batch of contenders but it's still a long season for us and others to train hard and try find form
    I heard they trained hard last week and chris bolger was in good form so the few rounds of club action could give us a hint into who's hurling well.
    I'd be hoping the likes of john walsh,leahy,lennon, kevin kelly,aylward,john power can feature for their clubs
    I expect cody to have studied wexford closely today and come up with the right game plan to overcome them in june

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

Difference today was Wexford were not allowed to drag and pull the forwards as they did against KK. Also their touch was off, the second goal was some mistake by the corner back. Also they hit some awful bad wides that went over the last day.

Sets up an fantastic battle on 10th June. Should be near a full house in Wexford that evening.

High sun, the smell of fresh cut grass..aaahhh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Sets up an fantastic battle on 10th June. Should be near a full house in Wexford that evening.

At this stage I'd say it'll be packed

Would not be inclined to overrate Tipp. They are beatable. Remember this is not a good Wexford team and is full of players that have done little over the years. If we cannot beat them in June we're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

unrealtime wrote: »
    Would not be inclined to overrate Tipp. They are beatable. Remember this is not a good Wexford team and is full of players that have done little over the years. If we cannot beat them in June we're gone.
    I agree that we should not overrate Tipp. They were two points up with about 10 minutes to go. They committed three fouls in the lead up to the second goal. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they get someone sent off in the Championship again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

blackcard wrote: »
    I agree that we should not overrate Tipp. They were two points up with about 10 minutes to go. They committed three fouls in the lead up to the second goal. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they get someone sent off in the Championship again.

Load of nonsense, before Bubbles red card last year, the last Tipp man put off in Championship was John O Brien in 2012. Not in any shape or form a dirty team.

Id say there'll be some atmosphere around that evening especially if it's nice..it'll be a huge game for us if we lose that and get into a qualifiers with say cork,dublin,waterford limerick it'd be very hard to see us having a good summer.
    The only thing it's great to see wexford back up competing at the top table the only concern there a good bit ahead of others in terms of fitness and ball work but this was understandable.I just hope for their sake they won't be flat when the summer comes around like clare last year
    I think it's going to be a great championship,clare have a very good management team with some class players and if they get their injured lads back they'll be a force.
    Galway are going about their business quietly and they've got rid of a few players that I felt were holding them back
    It's a huge year for our neighbours in waterford nothing only an ai appearance will probably do and mcgrath is probably under pressure to deliver
    As for ourselves we won't really know till June 10th where we're at.The league had ups and downs but we had to try things after last September and padraig has done well at 3,cleere done ok at six but probably not ready yet,leahy lyng,blanchfield and deegan all had their moments
    Pity we didn't unearth a dangerous inside forward but maybe with the hard ground he might have something up his sleeve

brookville wrote: »
    Id say there'll be some atmosphere around that evening especially if it's nice..it'll be a huge game for us if we lose that and get into a qualifiers with say cork,dublin,waterford limerick it'd be very hard to see us having a good summer.
    The only thing it's great to see wexford back up competing at the top table the only concern there a good bit ahead of others in terms of fitness and ball work but this was understandable.I just hope for their sake they won't be flat when the summer comes around like clare last year
    I think it's going to be a great championship,clare have a very good management team with some class players and if they get their injured lads back they'll be a force.
    Galway are going about their business quietly and they've got rid of a few players that I felt were holding them back
    It's a huge year for our neighbours in waterford nothing only an ai appearance will probably do and mcgrath is probably under pressure to deliver
    As for ourselves we won't really know till June 10th where we're at.The league had ups and downs but we had to try things after last September and padraig has done well at 3,cleere done ok at six but probably not ready yet,leahy lyng,blanchfield and deegan all had their moments
    Pity we didn't unearth a dangerous inside forward but maybe with the hard ground he might have something up his sleeve

Lyng had an impact but this was only in the walsh cup as he didn't play after going off v waterford. He will play some role this year but he has time on his side.
    Deegan is solid and will improve with more exposure at this level. His involvement will depend on how mick fennelly goes.
    Blanchfield will get game time but needs to improve his movement.
    Leahy to me will make an impact this year and is probably our best option out of all of the above.
    Along with these james maher and ger aylward will surely see game time.

There are 2 positions up for grabs as hogan, tj, Colin and walter will all start come championship.
    So it's blanchfield, leahy, aylward, maher, lyng, martin and kevin kelly vying for those two positions unless cody springs a surprise and includes john walsh and luke scanlon on the championship panel.
    Don't know if john power will be on the championship panel. We will see how the club matches go.

Lyng had an impact but this was only in the walsh cup as he didn't play after going off v waterford. He will play some role this year but he has time on his side.
    Deegan is solid and will improve with more exposure at this level. His involvement will depend on how mick fennelly goes.
    Blanchfield will get game time but needs to improve his movement.
    Leahy to me will make an impact this year and is probably our best option out of all of the above.
    Along with these james maher and ger aylward will surely see game time.

There are 2 positions up for grabs as hogan, tj, Colin and walter will all start come championship.
    So it's blanchfield, leahy, aylward, maher, lyng, martin and kevin kelly vying for those two positions unless cody springs a surprise and includes john walsh and luke scanlon on the championship panel.
    Don't know if john power will be on the championship panel. We will see how the club matches go.

I know he has come back from a near career ending injury but I think it could take more time for james to reach the highs of last year but hopefully ger will be ready.
    Cody will have to get the balance of the team right an hopefully a few u21s will put up their hand
    My team ten weeks out
    Murphy
    Murphy,walsh,shea
    Cleere,joyce,buckley
    Fogarty,leahy
    Tj,richie,walter
    Ger,colin,blanchfield
    I was talking to a bhale man at the wknd who told me mick fennelly is back running and good news for them cha and conor walsh are back along with adrian mullen they look serious force again

If true looks very good for the Shamrocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Load of nonsense, before Bubbles red card last year, the last Tipp man put off in Championship was John O Brien in 2012. Not in any shape or form a dirty team.

Sorry lad but their tackling is high and reckless a lot of the time with follow through on most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭randd1

dzer2 wrote: »
    Sorry lad but their tackling is high and reckless a lot of the time with follow through on most.

Sounds like committed hurling more than anything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

dzer2 wrote: »

That's pretty impressive clutching there :D

They get away with a lot

Topic has gone to pot. Any info on the u21 challenge v clare at the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

^ good question, I think it's fair to say this is the most important u21 championship for Kilkenny in nearly twenty years, and how we fare will tell us a lot about the next three or four years for the seniors. Obviously a performance like last year and we are in serious trouble but looking at the league we are still two or three players short of a sustainably all Ireland contending senior team, and that's assuming the likes of leahy and blanchfield progress the way we're hoping they do. We still need at least two more backs and two more forwards to push on in the next year.

Would be more in our line to be finding out who had the potential to do that rather than starting into cribbing about tipp supposedly fouling. The echoes of the old "kk play over the edge" bull**** we used to have to listen to from opposing fans are deafening.

^ good question, I think it's fair to say this is the most important u21 championship for Kilkenny in nearly twenty years, and how we fare will tell us a lot about the next three or four years for the seniors. Obviously a performance like last year and we are in serious trouble but looking at the league we are still two or three players short of a sustainably all Ireland contending senior team, and that's assuming the likes of leahy and blanchfield progress the way we're hoping they do. We still need at least two more backs and two more forwards to push on in the next year.

Would be more in our line to be finding out who had the potential to do that rather than starting into cribbing about tipp supposedly fouling. The echoes of the old "kk play over the edge" bull**** we used to have to listen to from opposing fans are deafening.

Couldn't agree more. It's crucial for our u21s to progress through the championship and to elevate the potential of the players we need at senior level.
    They should be there or thereabouts having won minor three years ago. You would be hoping for some exciting displays from them.

Topic has gone to pot. Any info on the u21 challenge v clare at the weekend?

I agree
    Haven't heard how the match went but as others have said it's going to be huge we really need a strong showing from this group it'd also be a boost heading down to Wexford park if we could beat dublin. On paper it looks a very strong team with some tasting senior experience at NHL and most are training with the seniors
    Brennan is a good goalie and the likes of delaney and cleere probably man the centers with tommy walsh 2 x mullens,conor browne,michael coady,conor doheny and lalor all good hurlers
    Scanlon and leahy hopefully mf
    Plenty of good forwards like gaffney,pat lyng,kevin farrell,billy ryan,alan murphy,blanchfield,john walsh and sean morrissey

What date is U21's? Where at?

What date is U21's? Where at?

31st of may or 1st of June according to the website 7.30 in nowlan park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

brookville wrote: »
    I agree
    Haven't heard how the match went but as others have said it's going to be huge we really need a strong showing from this group it'd also be a boost heading down to Wexford park if we could beat dublin. On paper it looks a very strong team with some tasting senior experience at NHL and most are training with the seniors
    Brennan is a good goalie and the likes of delaney and cleere probably man the centers with tommy walsh 2 x mullens,conor browne,michael coady,conor doheny and lalor all good hurlers
    Scanlon and leahy hopefully mf
    Plenty of good forwards like gaffney,pat lyng,kevin farrell,billy ryan,alan murphy,blanchfield,john walsh and sean morrissey

There was no U21 game at the weekend. They had a training session in Portroe, Tipperary instead. By the way Conor Browne will have no involvement in the U21 scene this year. Dropped himself from the squad at least two months ago if not longer.

• Advertisement

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    There was no U21 game at the weekend. They had a training session in Portroe, Tipperary instead. By the way Conor Browne will have no involvement in the U21 scene this year. Dropped himself from the squad at least two months ago if not longer.

Didn't know he dropped himself off that's a shame

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement