Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Was Cha involved for the Shamrocks or Henry?

How come Michelle Quilty last year's camogie captain wasn't listed for league final, injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

robwen wrote: »

How come Michelle Quilty last year's camogie captain wasn't listed for league final, injured?

Cha and henry weren't involved, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

There was a huge number of changes from the camogie All Ireland last autumn. Maybe players are being rested. They all can't have retired

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

citykat wrote: »
    They had Doheny try to man mark TJ. He wasn't very successful but he did hit some ball of his own. A Gaffney played well. Scored the frees. M Gaffney had a quieter evening.

Thanks for the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

Very good round of club action the weekend. i tried get in as many games as i could:
    Danesfort v Clara:
    Good win Danesfort, Clara seem disjointed, but i presume they will get stronger as the year goes on. R Hogan was a class apart, Clara had nobody for him. Shane Prendergast should have been on him for the match, P Murphy solid but stick work not the best.

Carrickshock v Rower/Inistioge:
    Carrickshock got off to a great start but faded away and were 4 points down going into Injury time, Dwyer got a goal and John Power could have won it with a chance soon after, good stop by the keeper. R Leahy went off Injured & John Power very poor. Decent finish

James Stephens v Bennetsbridge:
    Good win for our lads as they looked that bit sharper, Bbridge played a sweeper and were doing well with Nicky Cleere having a great first 25mins, the game changed 5/6 minuted before half time when we came to terms with the sweeper and scored 1-3 before half time, that cushion allowed us to push on for the game. Robert Lennon was ok, Jason Cleere i thought was poor as was Liam Blanchfield, Luke Scanlon looked light out there, and only really came into the game in the second half when we were getting on top.

Tullaroan v Tullogher
    Went down for a look at the 2 Tommy Walshs in particular for this. Have to say i really enjoyed this game the most the weekend, 4 goals in the first half and teams going at it hard, was like championship at times. Tullaroan look very sharp and should be senior looking at this, although Tullogher can count themselves unlucky when the game was in the melting pot they missed two great goal chances in the second half, 2 great saves by the keeper. Keoghan wing forward was my man of the match, very direct player, Padraig Walsh had a decent game, a great duel with Tullogher centre back Pat Hartley who kept him quiet for long spells, Walter Walsh gave young Tommy Walsh a horrid evening, while the other Tommy Walsh had a very good game midfield, 2 inside forward for Tullogher, Henessey and Donaghue were a big threat and must have scored 1-6 or 7 between them and unlucky not to score more. Very enjoyable game

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Cha and henry weren't involved, no.
    Contrary to what someone previously mentioned on thread here Cha has not returned to Ballyhale ranks yet. He a keen golfer so no doubt his summer months will be spent on the golf courses but after last nights viewing it surely have to be in Ballyhales interest to try and convince to return in some capacity for atleast the championship phase.Henry probably on a extended break before returning. Fairly sure he took similar extended break last year too
    Michelle Quilty got married on the Saturday just gone so thats the reason for her absence yesterday. Good win for them considering alot of new players this year. Thought Meg Farrell,Dalton and Katie Power were a different class

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Michelle got married on Saturday AFAIK.

Danesfort V Clara:

Fort did all the hurling in first half and only for a rather fortunate enough goal for Clara they went in behind at half time. Clara started second half very strongly but then richie hoga took over with a great goal followed by an outrageous point on the right hand side touchline and then one on the left hand sideline. Danesfort fully deserved winners. Murphy was solid and Paddy Hogan was very good too although he did have a few bad wides. Richie was a joy to watch. For Clara their forwards are pretty weak. Bolger looked sharp when had ball and was very good on frees. Stephen Quinlan played very well too.Lester was average and Pender was their best back. Interesting to see Killian Phelan back in the goal but thought he had a few shaky moments

Shocks V Rower: 
    The Inistioge lads will feel they left this one behind. Pat Lyng dominated the second half for 15 mins and chipped in 3 great points. The rower forwards are weak and they relied on midfield and half backs to try keep the score board ticking. Leahy injury looked very bad so envisage a few weeks on the side line for him. No sign of Michael Grace so assuming he is injured and not retired. Joe Lyng was decent and Joyce played well.

For the shocks Eanna Martin was very good and when they have John Tennyson back they will have a very strong half back line. John Power scored 1-1 from play but drifted in and out of the game. He had a great goal chance at the end but for some  odd reason he ran away from the goal to tighten the angle and it was a rather comfortable save for the keeper.

Boro V Ballyhale:

Very young Boro team were full value here. Cillian Buckley was outstanding and covered huge ground in his battle with TJ who did chip in with 3 from play. The boro inside forward line is a very small but they worked very hard and won some frees that Gaffney converted. Ballyhale were missing 3 Mullens, Henry, Mick Fenn, Eoin Reid among some other squad players so they will only improve from here on. Richie Reid was midfield and started very brightly with two great points. It was his first game in nearly 3 months so he did tire as the game progressed. Joey was centre back was good while Colin got the goal but struggled to make of an impact and Evan Cody won the battle there. Ballyhale have Clara up next so that really should be a great game

Bob Aylward was joined on the pitch by his son which is something I have never seen before at senior club level in KK and at 39 years of age Bob still going very strongly

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Thought all three town teams were fairly impressive this weekend for different reasons, left OLG vs Martins early but from what I saw O Loughlins really dominated and didn't get dragged into any niggle. They used the ball very well and took their scores well, Martins were very poor though, they'll need to find a few extra gears or their in big trouble.

Thought James Stephens looked good too, as some people have mentioned they played a lovely brand of hurling, their corners forwards really benefited from the quality of ball in and some of the scores Brian Crowdle got were excellent, a mention for Tomas Keogh who played around 50 mins at full back, I thought he was excellent, didn't give Blanchfield a sniff in the first half and the first shot on the Village goal came after he went off.

I'd have to disagree with the poster who said Ballyhale don't care about the league, no one likes losing the first round, especially when faced with such a tight group as this one, I felt Boro just out fought them, had a good plan and executed it well, their new centre forward Stapleton is an addition and I felt refreshed a forward line which over the last few years had been somewhat predictable. Ballyhale will improve massively and I'd still have them as favorites to be county champions this year, however, they are not the team they were in the mid 00's!

I think Boro vs James Stephens could be a great battle in the next round, Boro have had a bit of an indian sign over the Village over the last 5 or so years at nearly all grades so there could be a bit of spice in it as the Village look to get a bit of revenge. The two contrasting styles could be very interesting aswell, it'll be interesting to see if either team makes any alterations in an attempt to come out on top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DickoHara

Things must have changed a lot if the Shamrocks are not interested in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

I don't think they aren't taking it seriously, but they were missing a lot of key players. Not a whole lot they can do about that. I was expecting them to win but if id known they were missing all those players I would have given the boro a great chance. They've a good young team that will improve over the next couple of years I'd say. If they can settle on a good spine they have the talent to be challenging for the championship

How many rounds of the club league are left before Kilkenny will start in the leinster senior championship

DickoHara wrote: »
    How many rounds of the club league are left before Kilkenny will start in the leinster senior championship

I think two more rounds

From the 4 games i was at Walter Walsh and Richie Hogan were really stand out players. Richie Leahy out for a spell i presume, will be a big loss for the u21 match if he cant make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

Form of County players based on matches I was at or what I heard.
    Paul Murphy, played o.k. at full back.
    Padraig Walsh played well as a forward.
    Conor O'Shea did not play.
    Conor Fogarty played decently at centre back/midfield
    Jason Cleere played ok at centre back
    Cillian Buckley played well at centre back
    Joey Holden did well at centre back.
    Shane Prendergast did o.k. at centre back
    Pat Lyng did well at midfield
    Richie Hogan played very well at centre forward scored about 1-4
    TJ Reid played well at centre forward scored 0-3 from play.
    Walter Walsh had a good game
    Colin Fennelly scored a good goal, generally quiet
    Richie Leahy pulled a hamstring.
    Ger Aylward did not play
    Kevin Kelly did not play
    Jonjo Farrell played well.
    Liam Blanchfield was quiet
    Rob Lennon was o.k.
    Sean Morrissey struggled.
    Michael Malone struggled.
    Ollie Walsh was ok.
    Didn't hear anything about Paddy Deegan, listed at right back
    Mark Berlin? Conor Martin? Eoin Murphy?

• Advertisement

Anyone else hear Clara have lodged an appeal against score of Danesfort match.I been told appeal is based on a Clara score was awarded on Danesfort score side which obviously is a two point swing and hence match would have been a draw.Now I was at the match and at no stage did anyone around me notice or claim an error on the scoreboard

Is that what we have become? Rub Tipp's nose in it when they lose the league final... Even though we've had a pretty poor league campaign ourselves :rolleyes:

I think both Kilkenny and Tipp will be involved come the business end of the season for sure. Either are still capable of winning the All ireland. Any man who'd rule a Brian Cody managed team out is a lunatic. What exactly is people basing their so called decline on? 1 bad final last year against Tipp where they came up short on the day? Im not sure id use this league as a barometer either. No one mentions the fact they ground out a tough win over two games against Waterford and beat Galway in the Leinster final last year and scored 2-20 against Tipp.

Suddenly Galway is the team to beat based on one game? :rolleyes: Galway were fresh having faced Offaly, Laois and Kerry in the league and Limerick werent up to much either. Waterford downed tools in the last ten minutes against them and Wexford beat them. We were heavy legged and stuck to the ground from the first whistle yesterday. Galway smelt blood and went for the throat and good luck to them but it will be a whole different game if/when we meet them in the latter stages of the championship.

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Anyone else hear Clara have lodged an appeal against score of Danesfort match.I been told appeal is based on a Clara score was awarded on Danesfort score side which obviously is a two point swing and hence match would have been a draw.Now I was at the match and at no stage did anyone around me notice or claim an error on the scoreboard

I was at the match and there was some confusion where I was standing,some people were writing down the score and it was different to the scoreboard. I didn't hear if they lodged an appeal

brookville wrote: »

I was at the match and there was some confusion where I was standing,some people were writing down the score and it was different to the scoreboard. I didn't hear if they lodged an appeal
    Heard from reliable source that official complaint has been made. Referees score had matched what was on scoreboard. I am assuming the game was covered by reporter from Kilkenny people so presume there score tally matches the final result too

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

blackcard wrote: »
    Ger Aylward did not play
    Kevin Kelly did not play
    Rob Lennon was o.k.
    Ollie Walsh was ok.

He was outstanding

• Advertisement

I heard from a few sources at the game he was solid with the help of midfielders and half forwards flooding the area, but didnt stick out as stated here.

Ger Aylward did not play
    Kevin Kelly did not play
    Rob Lennon was o.k.
    Ollie Walsh was ok.

Lester got two points I think and was his usual busy self against danesfort
    Evan cody hurled well according to reports at full back for the boro
    Leahy is probably a concern for the u21 match the only positive is he walked off himself like. What's the extent of the 2xmullens injury or how did adrian play last sunday evening?

Ger Aylward did not play
    Kevin Kelly did not play
    Rob Lennon was o.k.
    Ollie Walsh was ok.

Lester got two points I think and was his usual busy self against danesfort
    Evan cody hurled well according to reports at full back for the boro
    Leahy is probably a concern for the u21 match the only positive is he walked off himself like. What's the extent of the 2xmullens injury or how did adrian play last sunday evening?
    Don't know extent of injuries, Adrian played no part in the game. Luke Scanlon played well but is very light, sorta like Cha. John Walsh was marked by Conor Delaney who came out on top. Have to say that I was impressed with Conor Delaney, I had not really studied him during a game before

Danesfort officials thought that the scoreboard was showing them to be one point more than they should be around half way through the second half. They asked the linesman to check with the referee. During the next break in play, the linesman ran on to the pitch to talk to the ref and came back pointing at the scoreboard and giving a thumbs up. From that point onwards, the scoreboard kept the right score.

Don't know extent of injuries, Adrian played no part in the game. Luke Scanlon played well but is very light, sorta like Cha. John Walsh was marked by Conor Delaney who came out on top. Have to say that I was impressed with Conor Delaney, I had not really studied him during a game before

Yeah I was at the village match scanlon is light but his a nice hurler and I'd have him ahead of morrissey it's a pity he didn't c any league time.The village have a few young fowards who are lively
    I like conor delaney i seen him a few times last year with the intermediates and his definitely 1 for the future.how did ciarian wallace play i also think his a good hurler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Comerman

To me Ciaran Wallace was the stand out defender in the game, Delaney and Fogarty were solid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Village87 wrote:
    I heard from a few sources at the game he was solid with the help of midfielders and half forwards flooding the area, but didnt stick out as stated here.

Was at this match. Buckley was class came out of most 50/50s with the ball. Definitely man of the match and won his battle with TJ whenever they were on each other

Comerman wrote: »
    To me Ciaran Wallace was the stand out defender in the game, Delaney and Fogarty were solid too.

I was suprised he wasn't brought in at the start of the year definitely worth a look

Is that Ciaran Wallace anything to Eamon Wallace that hurled with Castlecomer, he won a few All Ireland medals with kilkenny 82,83, I was at that match last weekend he has a good brain.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

What's the extent of the 2xmullens injury or how did adrian play last sunday evening?

Is he Eligible????

Rule 6.21c

A player on an Inter-County Minor panel shall not play in Adult Club League Competitions/Challenge Games until his Inter-County activity for the year is concluded.

An Inter-County panellist is defined as a player listed in a panel of 24 players on March 1st, and which may be amended and confirmed to the County Secretary on a monthly basis thereafter.

(Section (c) effective from January 1st 2016)

Some clubs may have played illegal players over the weekend, leaving themselves vulnerable to objection and insurance issues. Some may think the rule is stupid but...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Comerman

His father is Jimmy from Kilkenny street, a decent club hurler in his day as far as I remember (I'm a bit younger )

Eamonn Wallace was excellent at putting sidelines over the bar from way out the field back then, similar to what "Joe" etc. Get lauded for now.

Hawkeye6 wrote: »

Is he Eligible????

Rule 6.21c

A player on an Inter-County Minor panel shall not play in Adult Club League Competitions/Challenge Games until his Inter-County activity for the year is concluded.

An Inter-County panellist is defined as a player listed in a panel of 24 players on March 1st, and which may be amended and confirmed to the County Secretary on a monthly basis thereafter.

(Section (c) effective from January 1st 2016)

Some clubs may have played illegal players over the weekend, leaving themselves vulnerable to objection and insurance issues. Some may think the rule is stupid but...

I'm not sure these games would be classed as league, they are part of the championship and I think are treated as such. The league competition would be the Byrne and Aylward cups as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Django99 wrote: »
    I'm not sure these games would be classed as league, they are part of the championship and I think are treated as such. The league competition would be the Byrne and Aylward cups as far as I know.
    No I'm afraid the competition that started last weekend is the Kilkenny Hurling League.

According to the rule above any minors on the panel the last day were not eligible to play for their clubs last weekend this was the team to play Wexford on the 15th

1 Ben Maher- O'Loughlin Gaels
    2 Tommy Ronan- Graigue Ballycallan
    3 Michael Carey- Young Irelands
    4 Darragh Walsh- Piltown
    5 James Brennan- Erins Own
    6 Conor Flynn- Graigue Ballycallan
    7 Jordon Molloy- O'Loughlin Gaels
    8 Niall Brassil- James Stephens
    9 Niall Brennan- Lisdowney
    10 Adrian Mullen(Capt)- Ballyhale Shamrocks
    11 Conor Heary- O'Loughlin Gaels
    12 Eoin O Shea- O'Loughlin Gaels
    13 Jack Kelly- Barrow Rangers
    14 Ted Drea- Young Irelands
    15 Sean Ryan- Graigue Ballycallan

16 Dean Mason- Ballyhale Shamrocks
    17 Luke Murphy- James Stephens
    18 John Dowd- Erins Own
    19 Brian Staunton- Thomastown
    20 Richie Hennessy- Glenmore
    21 Daithi Barron- Thomastown
    22 Ross Connolly- Erins Own
    23 Jim Ryan- The Rower Inistioge
    24 Jesse Roberts- Graigue Ballycallan

None of these should have played for their club at the weekend. I was only at one game and the 2 Ballyhale lads listed above took no part.

About 5/6 lads played

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Village87 wrote: »
    About 5/6 lads played

NO surprise there.

This national rule is one of the easiest ones to base an objection.
    A lot easier than whether the score was right or wrong.
    Two teams lists is all that is required, one of which is above.

(Note: Restrictions set out in Rule 6.21(c) which become effective on January 1st 2016, shall also be applicable to the Rule above).
    Penalties:
    Player - twelve weeks Suspension.
    Team - On a proven Objection -- Award of Game to Opposing Team-
    On an Inquiry by the Committee-in-Charge - Forfeiture of Game without Award of Game to Opposing Team, or Fine, depending on the circumstances.

Clubs that are playing these players are endangering their minor availability.

No I'm afraid the competition that started last weekend is the Kilkenny Hurling League.

None of these should have played for their club at the weekend. I was only at one game and the 2 Ballyhale lads listed above took no part.

Well then Kilkenny clubs are at a disadvantage to other counties because the competitions they are playing at the moment, of the same importance are championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It certainly does look like Kilkenny clubs will be getting punished for having a sensible league-championship structure instead of having one meaningless competition and one that is all-important but in which many clubs get only one or two matches in a year. The rule was obviously designed with the latter type of structure in mind, where the league doesn't make a whiff of difference. If most counties had a league structure that mattered to championship, they wouldn't pass a rule that forces clubs to exclude some of their strongest players from it. the rule only makes sense if the two competitions are completely separate.

Have no idea if that would constitute a legitimate defence for the clubs involved, but from outside it looks like punishing them would follow the letter of the law but not its spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Agree with what has been said and its a legitimate defence that the championship/league structure in KK is very different to most if not all other counties and this would be at the very least a reasonable defence.

Whatever about the clubs and their responsibilities to ensure they adhere to the rules, I would think that a 12 week suspension for any player involved would be incredibly harsh and excessive, do we really think that a 17/18 year old should be that familiar with the rule book? I know that ignorance of the law is not a legitimate defence in a legal sense, but surely under the common sense approach punish the clubs if found guilty and not the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Django99 wrote: »
    Well then Kilkenny clubs are at a disadvantage to other counties because the competitions they are playing at the moment, of the same importance are championship.

Couldn't agree more and as a few posters have said since, while it would technically be by the letter of the law to suspend any players and forfeit games in which they played. In the Kilkenny case the phrase "the law is an ass" springs to mind.

Perhaps Kilkenny have already received a dispensation, that the rule doesn't apply to our League as it's a league/Championship I don't know but the competition on this last weekend is our League.

• Advertisement

The fixtures committee in Kilkenny have a habit of scheduling matches at two hour intervals. They have a fixture in the senior league at 5pm next Saturday week in Palmerstown with another scheduled for 7pm in Hugginstown. I fail to see why they can't have an additional 30 minutes between these matches to allow people to attend both games. This seems to happen consistently over the course of the league. I know a lot of people who would like to attend both matches and can't see why they can't be accommodated

Is there some reason why a round of senior, intermediate, league matches are not been played this weekend.

DickoHara wrote: »
    Is  there  some  reason  why a  round  of  senior,  intermediate,  league  matches  are  not  been  played  this  weekend.
    Round of games next weekend May 5th-7th and followed by another week break and another round weekend May 19th-21st. 
    County team back training this week before being released back to the clubs after today. I believe there has been a 1 or 2 players dropped from the senior panel too

Round of games next weekend May 5th-7th and followed by another week break and another round weekend May 19th-21st. 
    County team back training this week before being released back to the clubs after today. I believe there has been a 1 or 2 players dropped from the senior panel too

Usually around this time of the year most teams cut their panel for the championship.this time last year rice and brian kennedy were dropped. Any idea who's dropped?

Usually around this time of the year most teams cut their panel for the championship.this time last year rice and brian kennedy were dropped. Any idea who's dropped?
    I am open to correction but I heard Michael Malone and John Walsh. I know Walsh didnt see any league action with seniors due to injury etc but believe he has been sent back to the U21's. Walshs form has slipped from some exceptional scoring form last year but time is definitely on his side. Malone just doesnt have enough hurling in him to make senior standard. He is a unit of man and typical of the physical features Cody loves but unfortunetly never made much impression in the few opportunities he got.Im not sure people even know if he a back/midfielder/forward let alone his best position.
    There was about 7/8 Under 21 players in making up numbers for senior training during league and these have all been sent back to train with rest of U21 group and this makes sense given they out in championship in 5 weeks

I am open to correction but I heard Michael Malone and John Walsh. I know Walsh didnt see any league action with seniors due to injury etc but believe he has been sent back to the U21's. Walshs form has slipped from some exceptional scoring form last year but time is definitely on his side. Malone just doesnt have enough hurling in him to make senior standard. He is a unit of man and typical of the physical features Cody loves but unfortunetly never made much impression in the few opportunities he got.Im not sure people even know if he a back/midfielder/forward let alone his best position.
    There was about 7/8 Under 21 players in making up numbers for senior training during league and these have all been sent back to train with rest of U21 group and this makes sense given they out in championship in 5 weeks

Id say your right plus it makes sense that the u21s are all together training.im sure cody will know who's going well with the u21s or if someone puts their hand up during the summer they'll be back in.any update on kevin kelly,alyward or leahy?

• Advertisement

I would have thought they would have played three rounds over a couple of weekends then going back into County training the last round then comes near the u21s opening match but I suppose they could get injured as quick in training as in a match. I was in D.C.U Tuesday evening see L Blanchfield, Sean Morrissey, waiting for a lift with there gear its a full time job.

Padraig walsh picked up a foot injury in training this week and is a race to be fit for june the 10th,management are confident he'll be ok but he'll miss the next two rounds of club.Hopefully he'll be ok he done well full back and we haven't many options for that position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Tommy, JJ and Taggy on Off the Ball from 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Tommy, JJ and Taggy on Off the Ball from 1

Great listening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Aye really enjoying it. They relaxed into it about 10/15 minutes in

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement