Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Village87 wrote: »
    Was in at the Danesfort v Bennetsbridge game yesterday. Goals proved the decisive factor yesterday. Danesfort coudnt get back in the game yesterday after conceding 3 goals. Paul Murphy was poor again yesterday, was hoping to see an improvement in form from him. Other county players did ok

He wasn't to bad against clara but he definitely has being struggling for form hopefully he'll improve soon.
    Just on the u21 match in a few weeks it's a must win game really for us.hopefully the mullens will be back along with leahy and andy gaffney who didn't play at the wknd.good to see scanlon and john walsh hurling well for their clubs.kevin farrell and conor delaney also hurling well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DickoHara

Thoughts on how few of county players played at the weekend:

TJ hurled well, touch was top class as always, ballyhale were very reliant on him

Joey looked more comfortable at centre back and half back and hurled well

Colin Fennelly seemed to be floating around and wasn't massively involved

Lester came on and played well, worked hard as always and picked off a lovely score

Conor o Shea hurled half back and was solid without tearing it up

Shane Pender was also solid and was marking tj for most of game

Jonjo Farrell was double marked by Freshford but still hurled well, scored an excellent goal but if striking was better could have scored about 2-5

James Maher looked Of the pace, ran into contact a lot and got turned over a good bit, seems selfish on the ball

Cillian Buckley had a tough battle with Larkin in the first half and Luke scanlon in the second but probably broke even overall. Scanlon caused a good few problems travelling down the middle.

Evan Cody did OK but will need to improve to get in the shake up

Richie Hogan got some great scores but overall Enda Morrissey won that battle for me, is he in the senior panel if not he should be as he was very impressive.

Jason cleere looks great on the ball and uses it extremely well just hope he can command the game more.

Liam Blanchfield didn't get on much ball and had little influence

Rob Lennon seemed sharper coming out to the ball than I had seen him before but I would be worried about him being turned against top class full forwards.

Paul Murphy first touch seemed very poor and that is not the first time lately.

Other notable mentions from games I attended for Liam Ryan from Clara, John Donnelly for ttown, Simon Rafter from freshford, Cathal o Neill second half for danesfort who all hurled well.
    James Maher wont be on the County panel the way he hurled the other night as you said very selfish they have a few good club hurlers Freshford but a few of there forwards wouldn't break eggs. JJ Farrel took his goal well he showed up a serious weakness that Brian Kennedy has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

Other Kilkenny players were dropped for showing the form of Paul Murphy over the last 10 years, if this was any other Kilkenny team his place would be gone. Very poor in the league and carrying the form to club. His striking and first touch are way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Other Kilkenny players were dropped for showing the form of Paul Murphy over the last 10 years, if this was any other Kilkenny team his place would be gone. Very poor in the league and carrying the form to club. His striking and first touch are way off.

Breheny picked him on his Team of the League!! I'd agree with your view of his league campaign, from the games that I watched him play. Murphy has played to such a standard in his Kilkenny career that a dip in form will always be more noticeable.

Murphy has being very consistent since making his debut in 11.he along with others were cleaned out last september,struggled during the league at 6 and caught for 2 goals in thurles at number 2.Hopefully he'll rediscover his previous form for the championship in what will be a new look full back line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think that there are only five players that you could say are certainties to start against Wexford.
    Eoin Murphy, Cillian Buckley, Conor Fogarty, TJ Reid and Richie Hogan. There are three probables. Paul Murphy, Walter Walsh and Colin Fennelly. After that, it is pure guesswork.

blackcard wrote: »
    I think that there are only five players that you could say are certainties to start against Wexford.
    Eoin Murphy, Cillian Buckley, Conor Fogarty, TJ Reid and Richie Hogan. There are three probables. Paul Murphy, Walter Walsh and Colin Fennelly. After that, it is pure guesswork.

Dont think we have the panel to be dropping a current all star or a lad who has had a bad league but i do agree theres places up for grabs the team I see and spots available
    Murphy
    Murphy/walsh/?
    ?/?/buckley
    Fogarty/?
    Tj/richie/walter
    Blanchfield/colin/?
    I think number 4/5 and 6 are up for grabs which is probably in itself worrying.
    Spot in mf up for grabs
    I think 4 of the six forwards will pick themselves and maybe blanch will be the 5th
    I think maybe lennon or oshea could be at 4 but both shocking slow
    I think cleere will be five and joyce 6
    Lester could be mf
    If alwyard is fit he'll start

brookville wrote: »

Dont think we have the panel to be dropping a current all star or a lad who has had a bad league but i do agree theres places up for grabs the team I see and spots available
    Murphy
    Murphy/walsh/?
    ?/?/buckley
    Fogarty/?
    Tj/richie/walter
    Blanchfield/colin/?
    I think number 4/5 and 6 are up for grabs which is probably in itself worrying.
    Spot in mf up for grabs
    I think 4 of the six forwards will pick themselves and maybe blanch will be the 5th
    I think maybe lennon or oshea could be at 4 but both shocking slow
    I think cleere will be five and joyce 6
    Lester could be mf
    If alwyard is fit he'll start
    I was excluding Padraig Walsh on the basis that he is injured and therefore not certain to play. I don't think Aylward will have enough time.

I was excluding Padraig Walsh on the basis that he is injured and therefore not certain to play. I don't think Aylward will have enough time.

Maybe your right on both players not being ready if their not id say we're in trouble but I think both will be back in just hope there's no fresh injuries in the next few weeks

Walter Walsh is a head of Richie Hogan in the pecking order under Cody anyway. Paul Murphy and Conor Fogarty will start too, neither form is great tho and would prob be struggling to make the team in other years, which is worrying.

Kilkenny are struggling for backs.

• Advertisement

Walter Walsh is a head of Richie Hogan in the pecking order under Cody anyway. Paul Murphy and Conor Fogarty will start too, neither form is great tho and would prob be struggling to make the team in other years, which is worrying.

I agree with this but his after trying cody,o shea,deegan and cleere at different stages and 3 out of the four have had good moments along with swapping buckley and fogarty.I think pender an joey and murphy are after taking a confidence blow from last september.hopefully padraig can bring some stability when his fit but he'll be a big loss at 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Padraig Walsh at full back kinda reminds me of when Tipp stuck Padraic Maher back there hope it works out better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

robwen wrote: »
    Padraig Walsh at full back kinda reminds me of when Tipp stuck Padraic Maher back there hope it works out better

We did the same to JJ...and in my opinion was the best full back in the great teams era.

Any word on the under twenty ones there goalie looked good Saturday night for St lachtains , is there match in nowlan park or away.

DickoHara wrote: »
    Any word on the under twenty ones there goalie looked good Saturday night for St lachtains , is there match in nowlan park or away.

U21 match at home,hopefully it'll be a help but dublin will also be strong with some of their players getting game time during the league,we'll be looking to the likes of delaney, cleere,lyng,leahy,morrissey blanchfield and john walsh all in with the seniors at different times and all playing at a high club level.On paper these are the 2 best teams in Leinster and with northern opposition in the semi final it could be a great chance of getting to an all ireland.

U21 match at home,hopefully it'll be a help but dublin will also be strong with some of their players getting game time during the league,we'll be looking to the likes of delaney, cleere,lyng,leahy,morrissey blanchfield and john walsh all in with the seniors at different times and all playing at a high club level.On paper these are the 2 best teams in Leinster and with northern opposition in the semi final it could be a great chance of getting to an all ireland.
    That match is nearly as important than the 2006 all Ireland v Cork.

That match is nearly as important than the 2006 all Ireland v Cork.

Definitely the most important u21 match of the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Conor Fogarty was one of the better players in the league, I don't see anything wrong with his form, Richie Hogan was very quiet in some of the league matches and decent in others, in the matches where Richie was quiet and taken off, Walter was marginally better so it was a reasonable decision by the management

Id see Conor O Shea, Liam Blanchfield, Jason Cleere and Kieran Joyce falling into the probable category with the 8 listed above as certainties, very hard to know after that.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Id see Conor O Shea, Liam Blanchfield, Jason Cleere and Kieran Joyce falling into the probable category with the 8 listed above as certainties, very hard to know after that.

It looks like that at this stage although I wouldn't be surprised to see a surprise in a few weeks time.Hopefully kevin kelly and leahy will be back to strengthen the panel.John power pulled up with his hamstring last wknd he'll probably struggle to make the match squad on the 10th
    I heard wexford currently on a warm training camp in portugal.

• Advertisement

It looks like that at this stage although I wouldn't be surprised to see a surprise in a few weeks time.Hopefully kevin kelly and leahy will be back to strengthen the panel.John power pulled up with his hamstring last wknd he'll probably struggle to make the match squad on the 10th
    I heard wexford currently on a warm training camp in portugal.

Good week to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

What are our chances for the minor this year?Are we second favourites behind Tipp. It's very important we win a few underage titles over the next 3-5 years, that's including u21/20.
    Underage titles are very important, don't be fooled by people saying otherwise. Our success over the last 17 years were backboned by our underage teams winning All Ireland's. Minor 03/04/08/10, U21 99/03/04/06/08.
    When you look at all those underage titles from the last decade and compare it to this decade, it's some difference.

mullinr2 wrote: »
    What are our chances for the minor this year?Are we second favourites behind Tipp. It's very important we win a few underage titles over the next 3-5 years, that's including u21/20.
    Underage titles are very important, don't be fooled by people saying otherwise. Our success over the last 17 years were backboned by our underage teams winning All Ireland's. Minor 03/04/08/10, U21 99/03/04/06/08.
    When you look at all those underage titles from the last decade and compare it to this decade, it's some difference.

Dont know that much bout this year's minor crop but leinster isn't that strong this year I'd expect cork to be strong this year.tipp and limerick should be decent.
    Definitely pressure on the u21s to win something after the terrible last few years.

Conor Fogarty was one of the better players in the league, I don't see anything wrong with his form, Richie Hogan was very quiet in some of the league matches and decent in others, in the matches where Richie was quiet and taken off, Walter was marginally better so it was a reasonable decision by the management

Conor Fogarty was only average in the league, pooe against Waterford, Jamie Barron was man of the match, also poor against Clare, very poor on the ball that day, he was moved to the half back line where he hurled ok without doing anything great.

People saying that he is a certain starter shows the decline in standard in this Kilkenny team, if i remember correctly he got the equalizing point in last years semi final draw, this disguised the fact that he was very quiet that day, Jamie Barron again dominated midfield only for Michael Fennelly that day Kilkenny were bet.
    In the replay he was moved to centre back, he was cleaned out of it by Austin Gleeson, again had a very poor game.

When we needed a big game from him in the All Ireland with Fennelly out, he was barely seen. The Jury is very much out about Conor Fogarty for me. To say he is a certain starter shows the drop in standard in the Kilkenny panel.

I remember games where Micahel Fennelly, Cha and Michael Rice were all taking turns being dropped based on performances. Lads like Comnor Fogarty and Paul Murphy dont get the same treatment hence the drop in standard because they dont feel the competition that previous players felt

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

I think that our minors and under-21s will both make the final this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

mullinr2 wrote: »
    What are our chances for the minor this year?Are we second favourites behind Tipp.

Cork very much the favourites in Munster you would think but as we all know minors can be terribly unpredictable and inconsistent.

Conor Fogarty was only average in the league, pooe against Waterford, Jamie Barron was man of the match, also poor against Clare, very poor on the ball that day, he was moved to the half back line where he hurled ok without doing anything great.

People saying that he is a certain starter shows the decline in standard in this Kilkenny team, if i remember correctly he got the equalizing point in last years semi final draw, this disguised the fact that he was very quiet that day, Jamie Barron again dominated midfield only for Michael Fennelly that day Kilkenny were bet.
    In the replay he was moved to centre back, he was cleaned out of it by Austin Gleeson, again had a very poor game.

When we needed a big game from him in the All Ireland with Fennelly out, he was barely seen. The Jury is very much out about Conor Fogarty for me. To say he is a certain starter shows the drop in standard in the Kilkenny panel.

I remember games where Micahel Fennelly, Cha and Michael Rice were all taking turns being dropped based on performances. Lads like Comnor Fogarty and Paul Murphy dont get the same treatment hence the drop in standard because they dont feel the competition that previous players felt
    I wouldn't like to hear you when you are sick because you are the most pesamistic person I have ever heard.

I wouldn't like to hear you when you are sick because you are the most pesamistic person I have ever heard.

Ha ha just having detailed view at "Kilkennys certain starters" when Kilkenny were going for 4 and 5 in a row there was no certain starters apart from JJ, Tommy, Noel Hickey and Henry, they performed every day or close to it. Conor Fogarty and Paul Murphy are way off these standards

Paul Murphy andConor Fogarty are fine players - Murphy a brilliant and deserved All Star and Fogarty overlooked - and have been undermined by stupid and pointless experimentation during the league.

• Advertisement

Ha ha just having detailed view at "Kilkennys certain starters" when Kilkenny were going for 4 and 5 in a row there was no certain starters apart from JJ, Tommy, Noel Hickey and Henry, they performed every day or close to it. Conor Fogarty and Paul Murphy are way off these standards
    They were special it was a pleasure to see them hurling but that's gone we will never see a team from any county like them for years. I have been following kilkenny since the 1970s when Keher retired people said they will never be replaced teams come in cycles the last team spoiled all kilkenny people but reality comes back. C Fogarty Paul Murphy are great hurlers like anybody in life your going to have a valley didn't M Kavanagh couple more have bad patches Paul Murphy will rise to few more of them. As somebody from wexford said to me once when ye are going through a valley the rest get a chance to win something. No point in putting down players they need us look at the great enjoyment they have given kilkenny people worldwide,many the time I came home for a match walked through Dublin airport with delight I was in England for twenty five years and I have never missed all Ireland since my first 1973.

Everyone knows we were blessed over the last 16 years with that batch of players that came at the same time,it probably won't be seen again and to win 11 all irelands since the year 2000 is unbelievable.imagine what the likes of Limerick,waterford or galway would do for one.
    We know fogarty has dipped a bit last year and murphy hasn't being himself since last september but the truth is we've no one better to replace these if their form slips.We had no bench at all last year especially with fennelly and alyward out but at least in this year's league young lads have got gametime and some have done better than others and fennelly and alyward should be back soon to strengthen the panel hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

My first was 72 dick but remember 73.well rain rain raim.

Best of luck to the minors tomorrow,christy walsh is over laois.I think kk have a few injury concerns

Best of luck to the minors tomorrow,christy walsh is over laois.I think kk have a few injury concerns

Hopefully we will come out the right side

Laois led dublin for alot of their game.hopefully we can get through and the minors will get a summer hurling.

• Advertisement

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Laois led dublin for alot of their game.hopefully we can get through and the minors will get a summer hurling.

You'd expect kk to win this but minor is unpredictable.Is tomorrow's match knock out?I know last year we were eliminated at this stage against dublin but waterford lost 2 matches before being defeated by limerick the other night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

KilkennySupporter (@Kilkenny_GAA) tweeted at 4:22 PM on Sat, May 13, 2017:
    Leinster MHC (FT) Laois 0-9 Kilkenny 6-21
    (https://twitter.com/Kilkenny_GAA/status/863414163233808385?s=09)

That was close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

citykat wrote: »
    KilkennySupporter (@Kilkenny_GAA) tweeted at 4:22 PM on Sat, May 13, 2017:
    Leinster MHC (FT) Laois 0-9 Kilkenny 6-21
    (https://twitter.com/Kilkenny_GAA/status/863414163233808385?s=09)

That was close!

And then the ref there the ball in.:)

Final v dubs who bt wex.hopefully get revenge for last year.

It's good to get to a leinster final anyway.laois were competitive till half time but kk upped the anti in the 2nd half and kk will be favourites for that final and probably should win

• Advertisement

KK were up by 1-8 to 0-6 at ht having played against a very strong wind, the goal coming from Adrian Mullen after an excellent run. Seems a very good prospect, strong off both sides. Laois had a player sent off for a second yellow card early in the second half, thought it was harsh. They also conceded a couple of soft goals. Tommy Ronan and Darragh Walsh seem like your typical tigerish corner backs. Michael Carey made some good clearances, got caught out of position once. Jordan Molloy is very good in the air for a small fellow. Conor Flynn is your old style centre back, good in the air but maybe a bit slower. I thought Niall Brassil played very well at midfield. Sean Ryan got some nice scores as did a number of the forwards as space opened up. I think KK will have to work a bit on their touch and decision making but they are now guaranteed at least two more matches with a decent chance of winning Leinster.

Outside of mullen who are the most promising minors this year?

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Outside of mullen who are the most promising minors this year?
    For me, Niall Brassil at midfield and Jordan Molloy at wing back are good prospects. Looks a decent team but time will tell.

Tks blackcard.I know alot of the dublin team.grogan and keogh are best for me.solid at the back but forwards hit and miss.

unrealtime wrote: »
    Paul Murphy andConor Fogarty are fine players - Murphy a brilliant and deserved All Star and Fogarty overlooked - and have been undermined by stupid and pointless experimentation during the league.
    How is experimentation during the league pointless? its a glorified preseason competition which has been somehow won by teams from the second division in the last 3 years, its only benifit to Kilkenny is that it offers the chance to test new players and formations, even when we have won it over the last few years we have either needed to make big changes by the end of the Leinster championship or have have had a poor championship like 2013.

I know where to play Paul and Conor to their best effect and I knew it before the league started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

unrealtime wrote: »
    How is experimentation during the league pointless? its a glorified preseason competition which has been somehow won by teams from the second division in the last 3 years, its only benifit to Kilkenny is that it offers the chance to test new players and formations, even when we have won it over the last few years we have either needed to make big changes by the end of the Leinster championship or have have had a poor championship like 2013.
    You might as well be shouting up a cows hole as trying to argue with this lad on this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

You might as well be shouting up a cows hole as trying to argue with this lad on this point.

+1

An articulate plus 1 from me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Any word on Padraig Walsh this week-end? 4 weeks yesterday to the big game. Bit of time left yet!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement