Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Any word on Padraig Walsh this week-end? 4 weeks yesterday to the big game. Bit of time left yet!

Id say he'll start, ger alyward and kevin kelly expected to line out next weekend. Mick Fennelly back in contact training aswell.hopefully no fresh injuries between now and the 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

I would hope that Jas Stephens are suspended from the football championship for some years

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Yawn!!!

Based on a shockingly biased article on hoganstand

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

unrealtime wrote:
    I would hope that Jas Stephens are suspended from the football championship for some years

Doubt it would bother/affect them unfortunately. Or most clubs in the county. My own club are in and out of it every few years. It's just too much of a struggle for us to get 15 lads on the pitch. No one wants to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Why?

the media have jumped on a story where the railyard were given a walkover in the semi final of the football championship , truth be told they never seem to mention when something simular happens in the lets say tyrone or monaghan hurling championships

not having a dig at them counties just hate when the media jump on kilkenny for football and not on the counties that dont promote hurling :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kkclubhurling

I think what happened with the football is unfortunate but it begs a wider question in my opinion.

Why is there any obligation to play football at all?

As both sports have evolved in the last 20 years the differences have grown at an incredible rate. It was once the case that there were a fair amount of skills that crossed over between the two sports but this is less and less the case in the modern games.

It is almost archaic to ask someone to play a sport they have zero interest in just because the same association runs both sports, I mean can you imagine that the same federation ran Soccer and rugby in Ireland and teams were obligated to play both.

In my opinion, the sooner the GAA and each county create separate boards designed to look at each sport the better, of course these boards can work together for fixtures etc but having hurling men running football and football men running hurling just does not work and leads to situations like yesterdays. By forcing clubs to enter competitions it leads to teams withdrawing/ giving walkovers etc. At least if we take away the obligation, only teams that actually want to play might enter and there will be less walkovers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

unrealtime wrote: »
    They probably hope so too. Maybe go one better and suspend the football championship itself.

I know there's an important round of club matches next weekend and the village have the shamrocks but surely with the population of their club they could of fielded some kinda team?
    I see where kerry played club football today while their hurlers were playing the biggest match of the year against laois
    Theres no appetite for football in kk especially when the hurling season is up and running,dj is now involved with the U16s and they beat wexford and antrim recently so maybe there's work being done at grassroot level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

brookville wrote: »
    I know there's an important round of club matches next weekend and the village have the shamrocks but surely with the population of their club they could of fielded some kinda team?
    I see where kerry played club football today while their hurlers were playing the biggest match of the year against laois
    Theres no appetite for football in kk especially when the hurling season is up and running,dj is now involved with the U16s and they beat wexford and antrim recently so maybe there's work being done at grassroot level

A big of background info.

Firstly county board are a joke for fixing this senior football semi final 1 week before the senior third round games. Why didn't they fix it for after the third round hurling games when there is a 7 week break??

The Village tried very hard to arrange a team but couldn't as their junior team were playing in the junior league final against Ballyhale Shamrocks this weekend.

Real culprits in all this is the Kilkenny board who are a shambles for fixing it in the first place.

dobbs2210 wrote: »

Firstly county board are a joke for fixing this senior football semi final 1 week before the senior third round games. Why didn't they fix it for after the third round hurling games when there is a 7 week break??

The Village tried very hard to arrange a team but couldn't as their junior team were playing in the junior league final against Ballyhale Shamrocks this weekend.

Real culprits in all this is the Kilkenny board who are a shambles for fixing it in the first place.

It would of made sense to play it after the hurling I agree and if there was a junior match on the county board surely could of postponed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

Seniors played the U21s Saturday evening in the Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

The game was fixed for 6 weeks ago and was called off and arranged for this weekend at the request of James Stephens. The county board are to blame for a lot of things that are wrong with Kilkenny football but this is all down to the village!! They are the ones who wanted it played this weekend knowing they had round 3 of the hurling next weekend!

Village87 wrote: »

How did that go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

How did that go?

Seniors hammered the update u21s out the gate.

• Advertisement

Any u21 or senior team news?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Well I suppose we shouldn't​ be surprised that they beat them but from what I've heard of the U21 they have been winning all their challenge matches against clubs and counties. Whereas last year the U21's couldn't win any of their warm up games.

That must be some serious senior team. Other counties beware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

Village v Shamrocks will be a good game this weekend, Village going well. should win unless Shamrocks have a fullteam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭me89

Village87 wrote: »

Michael Fennelly played for 20 minutes, I wonder will he feature against Wexford?

• Advertisement

me89 wrote: »
    Michael Fennelly played for 20 minutes, I wonder will he feature against Wexford?

It said he could play some part for Ballyhale this weekend if that's the case he could make the panel for 10th.Padraig is in a boot on crutches it's hard to see him back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

me89 wrote: »

Be madness imo, wrap him in cotton wool until an AI semi, he is so key to KK and has never needed much hurling to get back to his very high standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

danganabu wrote: »
    Be madness imo, wrap him in cotton wool until an AI semi, he is so key to KK and has never needed much hurling to get back to his very high standards.

No absolute guarantee that we'll get through to the AI semi-finals though. If he is actually match fit, then it's too much of a risk to the team to not play him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

No absolute guarantee that we'll get through to the AI semi-finals though. If he is actually match fit, then it's too much of a risk to the team to not play him.

Not an absolute guarantee but pretty likely, ok maybe not until that stage but definitely wait until a knockout game IMO. He is so vital to KK it cant be overstated and it is now 4 years since he got through a series of championship matches without being sidelined with an injury.

Hope Mick Fennelly gets a run. His last injury unlikely to re-occur, I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Ger Aylward inspired Glenmore to huge win tonight over Tullaroan, would be seen as big shock. Billy Ryan the standout player in G/Ballycallan's win over Dunnamaggin. Mullinavat beat the Rower in only senior match tonight, I wonder how the county men played?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

unrealtime wrote: »
    Hope Mick Fennelly gets a run. His last injury unlikely to re-occur, I hope.
    Michael Fennelly is listed to start at centre back for Ballyhale, both Mullens are subs. Kevin Kelly is named at corner forward for Ballyragget. Ger Aylward was due to start for Glenmore in their match today in which they beat Tullaroan.
    The Rower and Mullinavat drew this evening. The Rower dominated for 45 minutes leading by 2-13 to 1-5 but Mullinavat completely took over from then to draw on a scoreline of 2-14 to 3-11. No sign of Richie Leahy . I think Pat Lyng is too frail for inter county at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I had a quick scan of Twitter and it seems Aylward got all three Glenmore goals!

Windgap GAA Twitter account have all the scorers
    https://twitter.com/WindgapGAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

blackcard wrote: »
    Michael Fennelly is listed to start at centre back for Ballyhale, both Mullens are subs. Kevin Kelly is named at corner forward for Ballyragget. Ger Aylward was due to start for Glenmore in their match today in which they beat Tullaroan.
    The Rower and Mullinavat drew this evening. The Rower dominated for 45 minutes leading by 2-13 to 1-5 but Mullinavat completely took over from then to draw on a scoreline of 2-14 to 3-11. No sign of Richie Leahy . I think Pat Lyng is too frail for inter county at the moment
    My apologies, those around me at the match tonight thought that Mullinavat won.
    Yeah I think Aylward got 3-1 or something like that

phkk wrote: »
    My apologies, those around me at the match tonight thought that Mullinavat won.
    Yeah I think Aylward got 3-1 or something like that
    The first half was played in a heavy drizzle so hard to judge players. Joyce was ok, Joe Lyng did better, Pat Lyng got two points but looks light. John Walsh got 1-3 from play, did better when he moved out the field but is a work in progress. Did Ger Aylward look fit and how was his touch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

phkk wrote: »
    Ger Aylward inspired Glenmore to huge win tonight over Tullaroan, would be seen as big shock. Billy Ryan the standout player in G/Ballycallan's win over Dunnamaggin. Mullinavat beat the Rower in only senior match tonight, I wonder how the county men played?

Rower/Millinavat was a draw, Rower were 12 points up on the 40 minute mark. Exciting game in the end.

Joyce did well, Pat Lyng OK but not brilliant. Talking to a Rower lad and he said they're taking it handy with Leahy, reckons they're being overly cautious and he could be ready but thinks the county want him to take more time than you usually would as it's two in a relatively quick time so that he's 100%.

There more I see of John Walsh the more I'm convinced he's worth a place on the panel, at the very least he's a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

randd1 wrote: »
    Rower/Millinavat was a draw, Rower were 12 points up on the 40 minute mark. Exciting game in the end.

Joyce did well, Pat Lyng OK but not brilliant. Talking to a Rower lad and he said they're taking it handy with Leahy, reckons they're being overly cautious and he could be ready but thinks the county want him to take more time than you usually would as it's two in a relatively quick time so that he's 100%.

There more I see of John Walsh the more I'm convinced he's worth a place on the panel, at the very least he's a nuisance.

From what I heard 3 players (or their clubs were asked not to select them) were asked not to play last round as they weren't fully recovered yet. Ger Aylward, Kevin Kelly and Richie Leahy. 2 didn't play 1 did. Richie played when not ready, weather he forced himself in or the club management asked him to play I don't know but he reaggravated his injury. Where as the other two took the medical advice and as you can see from Aylwards display last night it was worth the wait.

Leahy may have done his short term prospects with the seniors a bit of damage by not listening to the advice given.

Can't see anything wrong with Leahy playing when he feels up to it. Don't think he will make senior panel this year anyway.

Rob Lennon went off injured as Bennettsbridge lost to Clara by a point. Doubt he will be in contention for Wexford match. Conor O'Shea played well for Clara with Nicky Cleere best for the Bridge with 14 points. Chris Bolger hit 3 points from play.

Dublin 17s bt wexford today,hopefully our 17s can bt offaly 2moro.we would then play dublin at 17 18s and 21s in 3 big games.as for club games great to hear awlyard is back and hopefully mick fen can get some game time before wexford game.

Rob Lennon went off injured as Bennettsbridge lost to Clara by a point. Doubt he will be in contention for Wexford match. Conor O'Shea played well for Clara with Nicky Cleere best for the Bridge with 14 points. Chris Bolger hit 3 points from play.

Tit for tat in greasy conditions and a few niggles as expected for a local derby.lester and jayo had great tussle for the first 20 mins with lester winning a few great high balls before being switched to mf.He was the best of the county men on show.lennon limped off near the end but he has yet to convince me his good enough for county hurling.nicky cleere was best for the Bridge while bolger was in and out of game

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Dublin 17s bt wexford today,hopefully our 17s can bt offaly 2moro.we would then play dublin at 17 18s and 21s in 3 big games.as for club games great to hear awlyard is back and hopefully mick fen can get some game time before wexford game.

Why is ciarian brennan only a sub?kevin kelly and mick fennelly both playing at the moment

Very worrying with ciaran brennan.he is in the irish 16 squad to play northern ireland tomorrow in westport.u16s are playing a tournament there with denmark and kosovo.looks on face value he has chosen the tournament over the 17s game v offaly.hard decisions ahead for a very talented lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Shamrocks get their first win with a well deserved win against the Village. Shamrocks were boosted by the return of Mick Fennelly and two of the Mullen clan. Fennelly looked fit and moving normally. Barring injury he'll be playing against Wexford. The usual suspects were prominent for both teams. Colin Fennelly caused mayhem for the Village on the edge of the square particularly in the first half when the Shamrocks were playing into the breeze and strong (at times) sun. TJ was his usual clever self. Richie Reid was dominant at CB. Joey had a good tussle with Walton at FB with both breaking even. Adrian Mullen lined out in the corner. Grew into the game. Got some nice scores and set up the third goal.
    Jackie wasn't as dominant as in the previous games. Larks got some nice scores off breaking ball and was always there in support. Scanlon got a goal and had a good tussle Fennelly in MF. Talk of Shamrocks demise is premature on this afternoons showing.

• Advertisement

Mick Fennelly had a decent game as Ballyhale beat Stephen's by 7 points. He started in midfield but got more into the game when he went to centre back in the second half. Looks fit enough. Colin Fennelly had a great game at full forward , scoring 1-5 and setting up a goal. Darren Mullen played well getting a goal and three points

Mick Fennelly had a decent game as Ballyhale beat Stephen's by 7 points. He started in midfield but got more into the game when he went to centre back in the second half. Looks fit enough. Colin Fennelly had a great game at full forward , scoring 1-5 and setting up a goal. Darren Mullen played well getting a goal and three points

Adrian got the goal he really is a great prospect if he keeps his head down.darren also hurled well.I don't think anyone writing off the shamrocks especially with a few more to come back barring injuries I think they'll be the team to beat
    Overall it was a good weekend with most of the injured lads back and no fresh injuries expect lennon who limped off and leahy who didnt play,I don't think it was to serious.
    Was anyone at the comer match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Adrian got the goal he really is a great prospect if he keeps his head down.darren also hurled well.I don't think anyone writing off the shamrocks especially with a few more to come back barring injuries I think they'll be the team to beat
    Overall it was a good weekend with most of the injured lads back and no fresh injuries expect lennon who limped off and leahy who didnt play,I don't think it was to serious.
    Was anyone at the comer match?

Yes was very poor, Martins were canon fodder. Very hard to say that anyone for comer stood out. Conor Delaney caught a few nice balls but the Martins forwards were dreadful inept. Conor Fogarty had nothing to do at all.

dzer2 wrote: »
    Yes was very poor, Martins were canon fodder. Very hard to say that anyone for comer stood out. Conor Delaney caught a few nice balls but the Martins forwards were dreadful inept. Conor Fogarty had nothing to do at all.

Thanks the mucky boys look in trouble this year granted they would be hard bet in a relegation final but this could be the year they go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Anyone know if RTE have the kk wex game. Surely to God Sky don't have the rights for it

Thanks the mucky boys look in trouble this year granted they would be hard bet in a relegation final but this could be the year they go down.

Martins had a few injured and away, but would not have changed the result a complete lack of a scoring forward line and some atrocious decisions close to goal made the score line worse than normal but comer were wasteful and there was a lot of messing around and very little good hurling from either side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Anyone know if RTE have the kk wex game. Surely to God Sky don't have the rights for it

As far as I know, SKY have all the Saturday games.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Ah for **** sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Comerman

The pub it is then.

Ah lads its not that far down to Wexford park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

As far as I know, SKY have all the Saturday games.

Really? How come the Fermanagh/Monaghan game is on RTE 2 tonight so? Are they not taking turns?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement