Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Whats the u21 starting 15 and impact subs going to be next week .....this is huge game after last years no show ....dublin will be serious opposition and wont fear us in any way ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

davidx40 wrote: »
    Whats the u21 starting 15 and impact subs going to be next week .....this is huge game after last years no show ....dublin will be serious opposition and wont fear us in any way ....

Kilkenny team should win by 5 r 6 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Any ideas starting 15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Village87 wrote: »
    Kilkenny team should win by 5 r 6 points

Dublin are having trouble managing Chris Bennett, he was told to lose weight and didn't take it too well. There's talk that he won't hurl at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Kilkenny will win easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Well the following are very likely to start v Dublin
    Conor Delaney FB
    Jason Cleere CB
    Tommy Walsh halfback line
    Conor Doheny defence
    Luke Scanlon midfield
    Richie Leahy (if fit) midfield/forwards
    Pat Lyng Forward
    Liam Blanchfield forward
    John Walsh forward
    Sean Morrissey forward
    Alan Murphy forward

I would have all of them down on the starting sheet that's 11 out of 15. These 11 along with 6(7) more were in with the Seniors for most of their League training.(edit: Tommy Walsh wasn't AFAIK)

Others I can think of.
    Andy Gaffney possible
    Kevin Farrell possible/probable
    Billy Ryan possible/probable
    Aidan Nolan possible
    Kevin Mullen possible/probable
    Conor Brown possible

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Well the following are very likely to start v Dublin
    Conor Delaney FB
    Jason Cleere CB
    Tommy Walsh halfback line
    Conor Doheny defence
    Luke Scanlon midfield
    Richie Leahy (if fit) midfield/forwards
    Pat Lyng Forward
    Liam Blanchfield forward
    John Walsh forward
    Sean Morrissey forward
    Alan Murphy forward

I would have all of them down on the starting sheet that's 11 out of 15. These 11 along with 6(7) more were in with the Seniors for most of their League training.(edit: Tommy Walsh wasn't AFAIK)

Others I can think of.
    Andy Gaffney possible
    Kevin Farrell possible/probable
    Billy Ryan possible/probable
    Aidan Nolan possible
    Kevin Mullen possible/probable
    Conor Brown possible

Here's my stab at the under 21 team assuming Richie Leahy is out which i believe will be the case:

Darren Brennan
    Cathal McGrath Conor Delaney Darren Mullen

Conor Doheny Jason Cleere Tommy Walsh

Billy Ryan Luke Scanlon

Sean Morrissey Pat Lyng Alan Murphy

Andy Gaffney Liam Blanchfield John Walsh

Good post and that is a serious team indeed. I expect them to remain unbeaten this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Here's my stab at the under 21 team assuming Richie Leahy is out which i believe will be the case:

Darren Brennan

Billy Ryan Luke Scanlon

I thought conor browne dropped himself off the panel?I believe conor o carroll could be close to the team while huw lawlor could also be close maybe ryan bergin or michael coady

unrealtime wrote: »
    Good post and that is a serious team indeed. I expect them to remain unbeaten this year.

Well a Leinster title you would imagine is essential considering we haven't won it since '12 and 10 of the team i have named above have been training with the seniors and Richie Leahy would make 11. When you consider we would also have Wexford at home(our most likely final opponents if we can get past the Dubs next week) and with Leinster meeting Ulster this year there's a great opportunity to at least make an All Ireland.

• Advertisement

brookville wrote: »
    I thought conor browne dropped himself off the panel?I believe conor o carroll could be close to the team while huw lawlor could also be close maybe ryan bergin or michael coady

As far as i know Huw Lawlor is overage, Conor Browne hasn't been playing with the Village recently(that could be due to exams) and saw Michael Cody with the club last Friday night and forgot he was even on the pitch he was so peripheral.

Darren Brennan

Billy Ryan Luke Scanlon

Half forward line looks poor, murphy & morrissey are slow and lack ball winning ability, pat lyng still has to prove himself in the forawards to me

I took the favourable draw into account and accordingly I believe that we will get on a roll and will be very very hard to beat. Half forwardslook good and potent to me.

I took the favourable draw into account and accordingly I believe that we will get on a roll and will be very very hard to beat. Half forwardslook good and potent to me.

Thought the forwards would be better to be honest, if Blanchfield & Walsh are shackled its hard to see where the scores will come from

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

Heard that John Donnelly has made the senior panel after the majority of u21s left the training squad and returned to 21s so he could be starting next week.

Thought the forwards would be better to be honest, if Blanchfield & Walsh are shackled its hard to see where the scores will come from

God, you are a hard taskmaster, not enough Village men on it for you?:D
    John Donnelly, Kevin Farrell and Shane Walsh would be other options in the forwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

If Tipp had balls

What? They would be AI champions? Not familiar with that particular saying but its a good one, thanks for sharing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

As far as i know Huw Lawlor is overage, Conor Browne hasn't been playing with the Village recently(that could be due to exams) and saw Michael Cody with the club last Friday night and forgot he was even on the pitch he was so peripheral.

Havnt seen dunnamaggin these year but surprised Cody hasn't pushed on. Was their stand out player in games I seen last year. Then again you never know how lads react to going off to college, becoming adults etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lowball

Heard that John Donnelly has made the senior panel after the majority of u21s left the training squad and returned to 21s so he could be starting next week.

Ok John Donnellys father 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DickoHara

Half forward line looks poor, murphy & morrissey are slow and lack ball winning ability, pat lyng still has to prove himself in the forawards to me
    Is there any hurler in the county you don't have a problem with, I say the wife must have a hard time pleasing you with the dinner.

• Advertisement

Havnt seen dunnamaggin these year but surprised Cody hasn't pushed on. Was their stand out player in games I seen last year. Then again you never know how lads react to going off to college, becoming adults etc

In fairness they were playing him at wing forward and eventually had to move him back to corner back to mark Sean Ryan where he looked a lot more at home.

DickoHara wrote: »
    Is there any hurler in the county you don't have a problem with, I say the wife must have a hard time pleasing you with the dinner.

No as i stated before most hurlers are doing great, there are a few players over hyped and are living on the glory of great past teams, and when needed to step up in the shadows of these great players have not done so.

At the moment Kilkenny are only going moderately at underage level. Next week is a big match and i just feel that half forward line mentioned (Murphy,Lyng, Morrissey) could be under pressure, i know Murphy and Morissey played in Mullingar last year and were well out of it

If that can be called moderate then I hope for the sake of the unfortunate opposition that our underage teams do not start playing well. Two scoreboards will be needed to keep score

If that can be called moderate then I hope for the sake of the unfortunate opposition that our underage teams do not start playing well. Two scoreboards will be needed to keep score

You don't think that a solitary combined AI at minor and U21 level in 6 years is moderate for a county of KK's status?I thought you of all people woulf have higher standards than that :confused:

danganabu wrote: »
    You don't think that a solitary combined AI at minor and U21 level in 6 years is moderate for a county of KK's status?I thought you of all people woulf have higher standards than that :confused:

Kinda selective with your dates there! Over the last 10 years Kilkenny have won the joint most Minors(3) along with Tipp and Galway with Waterford winning the other. The picture not as rosy at under 21 with just one in the last 10 years which is curiously the same as Tipp, in fact would it surprise you to be told that that 2010 success in fact is Tipp's only one in that particular grade in the last 22 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

If that can be called moderate then I hope for the sake of the unfortunate opposition that our underage teams do not start playing well.I Two scoreboards will be needed to keep score

I think he is referring to performances this year where KK have played 4 games at Minor and U17 and had comfortable victories. The next few weeks will tell us how good our underage teams are

Kinda selective with your dates there! Over the last 10 years Kilkenny have won the joint most Minors(3) along with Tipp and Galway with Waterford winning the other. The picture not as rosy at under 21 with just one in the last 10 years which is curiously the same as Tipp, in fact would it surprise you to be told that that 2010 success in fact is Tipp's only one in that particular grade in the last 22 years?

Not intentionally but you do have to admit that those stats are what one would refer to as moderate for a county of KK's stature no??

No it wouldn't surprise me at all really, I am fully aware of that, what it has to do with this thread is what surprises and confuses me?

blackcard wrote: »
    I think he is referring to performances this year where KK have played 4 games at Minor and U17 and had comfortable victories. The next few weeks will tell us how good our underage teams are

Fair enough but I took Villages initial comment, to which he was replying to, as a reference to KK's performance over the last number of years. Crossed wires perhaps.

Not intentionally but you do have to admit that those stats are what one would refer to as moderate for a county of KK's stature no??

No it wouldn't surprise me at all really, I am fully aware of that, what it has to do with this thread is what surprises and confuses me?

Wouldn't describe it as moderate at all, our 30% strike rate over the last 10 years is well ahead of our overall strike rate in the grade of about 20%. Whereas our 10% strike rate at under 21 is down on our overall of 20% in the grade, things kinda balance each other out so i would describe it as being pretty much par for the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

Tbh, KK' s performances at u21 over the last few years being well beaten by Wexford on a few occasions, being beaten by Westmeath last year and should have been beaten by Carlow another year. I think part of the reason is that very few U21's have been training with the seniors. Hopefully, they can go a bit further this year though I would be a bit concerned about the form of some of the players

No as i stated before most hurlers are doing great, there are a few players over hyped and are living on the glory of great past teams, and when needed to step up in the shadows of these great players have not done so.

At the moment Kilkenny are only going moderately at underage level. Next week is a big match and i just feel that half forward line mentioned (Murphy,Lyng, Morrissey) could be under pressure, i know Murphy and Morissey played in Mullingar last year and were well out of it
    Have a whinge you had a go at Cody a few months ago in the village you said as a club they would be there long after Cody was gone it was a bit nieve saying something like that considering what Bill Cody, Brian Cody did for the James stephens club from club development to Co titals . As regards Morrissey, murphy, lyng, give them a chance lyng hurled well what I saw of him this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

We've hopefully seen a change the last few years (if we ignore last year) but we've clearly dropped the ball at underage level. The development squads were too reliant on club coaches who probably had great intentions but weren't up to it and should've been changed much sooner.

Add to that our success at senior meant opportunities for anyone other than the exceptional talents was limited meant we were always in for a serious speed bump.

I don't think we were that bad at underage in recent years. The fact that we did not manage to get backdoor games (which I am opposed to in any event) did not help us to progress and caused a fair gap in our collection of titles. But we are back now and in a good place.

It gets to me when I see people so negative last year was last year hopefully they will go a long way in the championship this year. The best of luck next wed to the under twenty ones.

DickoHara wrote: »
    It gets to me when I see people so negative last year was last year hopefully they will go a long way in the championship this year. The best of luck next wed to the under twenty ones.

I agree hopefully we get the win next week.the last few years at u21 have being very disappointing especially considering we've had decent minor teams but I'm hopefull this is a good panel but it's being said this week bout cork starting 5 u21s with very little success underage and all of them having very good games you don't need to be dominating underage but important to have a few new faces in every year.it's a great opportunity to put up their hand next wednesday

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

The development squads were too reliant on club coaches who probably had great intentions but weren't up to it and should've been changed much sooner.

What other kind of coaches is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I heard a rumour this morning that Pat Lyng has been tried at full back over the last couple of weeks, has anyone else heard anything on this? If so it'll be very interesting where he lines out next Wednesday night

Kinda selective with your dates there!
    Wouldn't describe it as moderate at all, our 30% strike rate over the last 10 years is well ahead of our overall strike rate in the grade of about 20%. Whereas our 10% strike rate at under 21 is down on our overall of 20% in the grade, things kinda balance each other out so i would describe it as being pretty much par for the course.

I wasn't being selective at all, I was merely referencing the previous minor/u21 teams that it could be considered may still contribute something to the Senior set up, that is after all their primary function. I would argue that anyone over the age of 24 that has not made the senior panel as of yet is highly unlikely to do so at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I heard a rumour this morning that Pat Lyng has been tried at full back over the last couple of weeks, has anyone else heard anything on this? If so it'll be very interesting where he lines out next Wednesday night

Probably Joe Lyng, doubt it would be Pat.

I wasn't being selective at all, I was merely referencing the previous minor/u21 teams that it could be considered may still contribute something to the Senior set up, that is after all their primary function. I would argue that anyone over the age of 24 that has not made the senior panel as of yet is highly unlikely to do so at this stage.

Once again not so Shane Prendergast made his championship debut at 29, JJ Farrell at 28 and Conor O'Shea who will more than likely make his first Championship start against Wexford is 25. Ollie Walsh who is in his first year on the senior panel and also in the mix to make his championship debut this summer is also 25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Once again not so Shane Prendergast made his championship debut at 29, JJ Farrell at 28 and Conor O'Shea who will more than likely make his first Championship start against Wexford is 25. Ollie Walsh who is in his first year on the senior panel and also in the mix to make his championship debut this summer is also 25.

Conor O Shea is 23. Cody in general does not seem to like bringing lads into the championship team until 22 or 23, sometimes later. Richie and TJ were not regular starters until mid 20s, same with Fennellys, Fogarty etc. The exceptions are usually a forward in a replay, like Walter or Kevin Kelly in recent years.

And I'm not being smart or harsh but do those names not confirm the initial claim that the standard was moderate?

Django99 wrote: »
    Conor O Shea is 23. Cody in general does not seem to like bringing lads into the championship team until 22 or 23, sometimes later. Richie and TJ were not regular starters until mid 20s, same with Fennellys, Fogarty etc. The exceptions are usually a forward in a replay, like Walter or Kevin Kelly in recent years.[/Q

Richie Hogan's break through year was '11 when he was 22, TJ Reid's was '10 when he was captain and 22(though he did lose his place to Eddie Brennan for the '11 final). Colin Fennelly came onto the panel and straight into the team in '11(though he was dropped for Cillian Buckley for the '12 replay) when he was 21. Hardly guys in their mid 20's.

And I'm not being smart or harsh but do those names not confirm the initial claim that the standard was moderate?[/QUOTE

Well with the exception of Ollie Walsh they all have All Ireland senior medals... i wish i was as "moderate" a hurler as them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Ah lad come one will ya he's right.

People citing TJ and Richie as examples of Cody waiting until they're older to make the team - look who was in front of them at the time! Context is everything.

Spot on JJ

This would be unusual alright but if his being training full back you'd imaging he'll be full back wednesday night.He did play minor in the backs so it wouldnt be alien to him.I just presumed delaney would be at 3 and cleere at 6.Any update on leahy?its a quick turnaround for the few young dubs playing galway tomorrow

This would be unusual alright but if his being training full back you'd imaging he'll be full back wednesday night.He did play minor in the backs so it wouldnt be alien to him.I just presumed delaney would be at 3 and cleere at 6.Any update on leahy?its a quick turnaround for the few young dubs playing galway tomorrow

Yeah I would have assumed the same to be honest and what I heard could be wrong also!! I remember though he hurled very well at wing back for the minors in 2014!! I think Delaney is our best option at full back and he's in good form at the minute too!! I think Leahy should be fit for Wednesday. I wonder will Martin Keoghan be near the team, he's been in great form for Tullaron lately. My team for Wednesday would be:

Brennan
    Doheny, Delaney, D Mullen
    Huw Lawlor, Cleere, T Walsh
    Scanlon, P Lyng
    Leahy, Morrisey, B Ryan
    A Murphy, Blanchfield, J Walsh

Yeah I would have assumed the same to be honest and what I heard could be wrong also!! I remember though he hurled very well at wing back for the minors in 2014!! I think Delaney is our best option at full back and he's in good form at the minute too!! I think Leahy should be fit for Wednesday. I wonder will Martin Keoghan be near the team, he's been in great form for Tullaron lately. My team for Wednesday would be:

Brennan
    Doheny, Delaney, D Mullen
    Huw Lawlor, Cleere, T Walsh
    Scanlon, P Lyng
    Leahy, Morrisey, B Ryan
    A Murphy, Blanchfield, J Walsh

Your correct bout keoghan his being going well also john donnelly,kevin farrell and andy gaffney have had their moments although I like the look of the above team

Your correct bout keoghan his being going well also john donnelly,kevin farrell and andy gaffney have had their moments although I like the look of the above team

I think it's going to be a difficult team to pick, there's a lot of lads going very well at the minute!! It's probably the strongest U-21 panel we've had in a long time, hopefully we'll see the best of them Wednesday night

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement