Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mary Earnest

Agree and annoyed as well. There are many many paid up GAA club members living abroad with no RTE/ TG4 access, online or otherwise to single broadcaster matches such as tonight's game. I suspect it's part of the broader Gaago agreement.

Half-Time Kilkenny lead 0-9 to 0-7 ( A. Murphy 0-3, S. Walsh 0-2, B.. Ryan 0-2 Blanchfield/ Morrissey 0-1 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Overplaying it a bit but think we've looked decent with the ball bar the shooting. Giving up far too many chances though. Full back line getting dragged all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Want to buck up. A bit more pace and effort required from most of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

I know its an U-21 match but the standard is quite poor. Poor control and poor finishing from both sides. We're slightly better but not by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JaffaP

Two absolutely brutal teams to this point.

Dublin are hopeless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Really? Bar the last 15 minutes I've been happy enough. We should've won by 10 points. Eddie emptying the bench with 15 to go was stupid

God that was poor. A general lack of pace and some showboating. Hard to see that team winning theAll Ireland though we should get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

unrealtime wrote: »
    God that was poor. A general lack of pace and some showboating. Hard to see that team winning theAll Ireland though we should get there.

Must have been a shock for you given that you thought it was a great team up until you actually saw them play

Wasnt a great performance but still think there is enough quality in that team to go along way especially if Leahy and Scanlon start.

I dont see why Blanchfield or Lyng were taken off, TG4 were going on as if it showed what a tough manager Brennan is but I thought it helped Dublin get back into the game

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

I think some of you lads are a bit harsh. Ok the game was poor enough but that Kilkenny team was under serious pressure coming in to this game after the loss to Westmeath last year and I am sure plenty of hurling people were saying that to them they looked a bit nervous to me. Overplayed the passing at stages too. Dublin looked physically big too and had some good hurlers especially their half back line. Billy ryan, Huw Lawlor, Jason cleere and Tommy walsh showed class at times I thought, good subs on the bench with Richie leahy to come back in the next day. I think this team will improve now with a couple more games in leinster and are in with a good shout at winning it out.

• Advertisement

No shock at all. Might be brilliant next day.

v Westmeath on 21st June. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Look a win is a win while we weren't that convincing but I would of taken a win on the way in.Leahy will be a help to the team while blanch,lyng and John Walsh can play much better, this team should improve Billy Ryan was very good and he could be an option for the senior while John donnelly scored 2 peaches
    Overall not spectacular tonight but happy to get a win and move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Picked off some fantastic points in the second half from tough angles under pressure. Anyone know if Blanchfield was injured??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Very tight game in mullingar tonight. Went to extra time with Westmeath winning by 2 in the end. Westmeath still have 8 or so from lady year so hopefully another good game on the 21st.

Presume that'll be at home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

Scoring 21 points in 60 minutes on a windy evening is a decent score. Overall, I thought it was a nervous performance but I think they came into this match under a lot of pressure after last year. Good players made poor decisions, points weren't taken when they were available and passes were made to players in worse positions. Blanchfield had the flu? I think this team will grow and will get to an AI. As minors 3 years ago, they lost to Dublin before going on to win an AI. Jason Cleere, Huw Lawlor and Billy Ryan were best for me but I would be concerned about ball winning ability in the half forward line. Anyway, well done to the team

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Seemed nervous is right and threatened to pull away from Dublin at times but seemed to lose composure.
    Have to say we need to be stronger under the high ball but the win was the main thing.
    Leahy should bring some incision in the forwards. Morrissey on a lot of ball but we seemed to be leaving dublin loose a lot. Backs dragged around a lot, probably more than we were but this team will improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Not the most spectacular of performances and fell asleep near the end and let Dublin back into it but I thought we were the better team. Thought Ryan was very good and looks a real prospect. Our shooting was poor especially from Murphy and Morrissey. I'd have a bit of sympathy for the John Walsh and Blanch, thought we played it too short around the middle and didn't hit enough direct balls into them!! I'd wonder did Cody have a word with the U-21 management about taking Lyng and Blanchfield off early if we were in a good position, didn't think either of them deserved to be taken off!! Overall I think we'll come on for the game and with Leahy to come back and the likes of Mullen, Scanlon and Donnelly only coming on today, competition for places should be high!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Would agree thought it was a nervous type of display , Billy Ryan was very good , not much clean ball won and will be a problem , Blanchfield is really going to struggle for pace going forward just hasnt got legs to get away ....Cleere was solid ....Leahy will make big differnce ....lack of ball winners stood out tho

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

John donnelly is a ball winner and a far better option than morrisey for me.donnelly 2 mullens and tommy walsh were the best of our minors last year.think the game will bring us on alot and how ironic we meet westmeath again.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Got my mail from season ticket today regarding the wexford game.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

God help Westmeath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Donnelly looks a better option to me aswell...
    have to say ive yet to see Alan Murphy really do much from open play even his 2 years on minor team he didnt impress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Mulbert wrote: »
    God help Westmeath!

Why? :confused:

• Advertisement

Further reflections. Dublin backs were tough and hard to deal with. Most of them got yellow cards for reckless tackling. The points we got from play were generally outstanding and showed real quality. Wides were bad and plentiful and there was much over passing and getting in the way of one owns man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Happy to have got the win tonight but made it difficult for themselves in the end by coasting and overplaying the ball on more than one occasion. Standout player was Billy Ryan, he was excellent and scored some excellent points but I thought his work rate was top class. I think he has way more to offer the senior team than some of those who have already got senior experience. He has real pace and looks for a killer pass too, when it's on, something we've been missing for a while. I was also impressed with Donnelly, two great points from the wings-fine striker of the ball. Conor Doheny hurled a very good first half too.
    Kilkenny looked nervous, understandably, but this game will boost the confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Was down at the game. Kilkenny always looked in control and never looked like losing. The result was the main thing so to get through it was good. This game will bring the lads on. Dublin were edgy and conceded quite a few frees. Their No. 4 gave away 3 bad frees which were punished and got a yellow card into the bargain. Westmeath again. I saw Westmeath beat Meath last week in Trim. They scored 2 goals inside the first 2mins and never looked back. They have, from what I know, 7 or 8 lads from last year so they have a bit of experience.

Anyway, a win's a win and onwards and upwards from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Liam Blanchfield had a very bad flu over last weekend didn't travel to Carton Hse with the seniors and was really only coming out the far side of it, gave it all he had. In fact I was surprised Eddie left him on that long. I'm also fairly sure Pat Lyng had a little hamstring niggle before the game and I'd say they decided not to push him too hard while they were going well.

To be honest the biggest difference for me and the drop in intensity in the second half came from the decision to move Billy Ryan into the corner, now maybe his legs were gone from all his previous hard work but that move really hurt our HF line. Also the fact that the Dubs started playing a sweeper in the second half meant ball was always going to be harder to win up there. To be honest I'm delighted with the win and happy with the performance. They have plenty to build on and 3 weeks to do it. They also have a great draw against Westmeath as there can hardly be any complacency facing them again and tonnes of motivation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Village87

Only for Dublin drove any amount of wide's in the first half Kilkenny were in trouble, Bily Ryan & maybe Tommy Walsh looked the 2 best players potentially for Kilkenny in the long run. Have to admit i am disappointed with what i saw last night, Billy Ryan the only player capable of making an impression senior this year, others may get a run but will be only hanging in there. Was hoping Cleere would step up to the plate for the Wexford match, but seemed to get caught flat footed a lot and aerial ability needs improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DickoHara

Both teams had terrible wides they were nearly even on that, it looked like there was something wrong with Blanchfield Ryan Bergin was targeted in the first half but when he gave the shoulder it changed then John Walsh hurled better when he came out in the second half for a while faded out of it. A lot of improvement needed would somebody tell me or was I mistaking the lad that tripped Sean Morrissey in the second half was he booked early in the first half.

I think soft yellow cards will be an important factor this year with players being sent off for nothing really - after two yellows. The hurl is the instrument by which the game is played. One should always be allowed to tackle fairly with the hurl. But some refs are giving yellows either for nothing or for a fair tackle with the hurl that goes wrong. The Dublin sending off could be repeated by refs such as Barry Kelly and that is wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Last year I think it was 1,200 season ticket holders probably different this year.
    The capacity in Wexford was reduced to 15,000 on Health and safety grounds.
    I know the Boro and the Village got an allocation of 60 tickets total with only 14 for the stand if you multiply that out for the 44 clubs your talking 2,640 plus say season ticket holders of 1,200 and say another 1000 may have got them on line or in SuperValu. I would say the Kilkenny crowd won't break the 5,000 mark. We'll be out numbered 2 to 1 but thankfully not on the field.

capacity is closer to 19,000 for the game (despite the venue not being full whilst holding 23,000 the last time the 2 teams played there in 2011) . 1,600 tickets were allocated to Kilkenny season tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Anyone else get the feeling KK v Wexford won't live up to its hype?

I have a feeling KK will win it with a bit to spare

So much talk going on about other counties except Kilkenny and any time Wexford have been built up, they have choked.

We have seen scenario so many times, sold out, public expecting a thriller and the game never lives up to its expectations!

C__MC wrote: »

So much talk going on about other counties except Kilkenny and any time Wexford have been built up, they have choked.

We have seen scenario so many times, sold out, public expecting a thriller and the game never lives up to its expectations!

not entirely sure when the last time Wexford were built up and choked? They havent been a decent team for 20 years now, even the 2004 team that won Leinster was more of a flash rather than a team playing at the top level consistently.

The reason there is hype about this is because on the face of it, Wexford are improving and Kilkenny are regressing. For the first time since 04, and arguably to be honest prior to that, the gap between the teams is not as big as it has been. Wexford finally have a team that people are confident about. Whether they will win or not is a completely different thing, and they also havent shown the gap at championship level has been reduced, but there is far more to be encouraged about than there has been for 20 years with this side.

Wexford won convincingly the last time we met. I would be really delighted if we can beat them in Wexford Park and I believe Wexford should be favourites to win on form given that they are at home and on a tight pitch. Much depends on Ger and Mick Fennelly and whether Padraig will be there. With those three fit and playing a full game we are in with a real chance. Joey may get away with it at full too.

Just off the top of my head: 2014 beat clare & waterford (lost tamely to limerick in Q F)
    2015 (KK won easy after wexford were meant to put it up to them)
    2016 (Beat cork, surrounded meekly to waterford after they had been thrashed by Tipp)
    2015 (There u21s well beaten by limerick)

I agree with your point that wexford recently haven't' been dining at the top table but when they have threatened to make progress, they haven't' delivered on the big day.

Have KK really regressed that much? Last years final was a disaster and tactically KK got it all wrong but after 35-40 mins, KK were in the driving seat. They have some of the finest hurlers on their team who are vastly experienced. I firmly believe they will rise to the occasion and see off wexford comfortably.

Just off the top of my head: 2014 beat clare & waterford (lost tamely to limerick in Q F)
    2015 (KK won easy after wexford were meant to put it up to them)
    2016 (Beat cork, surrounded meekly to waterford after they had been thrashed by Tipp)
    2015 (There u21s well beaten by limerick)

I agree with your point that wexford recently haven't' been dining at the top table but when they have threatened to make progress, they haven't' delivered on the big day.

Have KK really regressed that much? Last years final was a disaster and tactically KK got it all wrong but after 35-40 mins, KK were in the driving seat. They have some of the finest hurlers on their team who are vastly experienced. I firmly believe they will rise to the occasion and see off wexford comfortably.

none of them were chokes though. both the Clare and Waterford wins were when very much underdogs, they lost heavily to Limerick, but again, were still no way fancied to win anyway. Its not choking if you are odds on to lose.

dont know anyone who really thought they'd take KK in 2015. Beat Cork as an underdog, and lost to one of the AI favourites in Waterford. Again, hardly choking. The U21s losing to Limerick? Realistically, the only choking was the 2 years previous when the U21s lost an AI semi final to Antrim,but even so, I dont know what bearing U21 results has on the senior teams choking ability.

Wexford havent threatened to be at the top table for 20 years (albeit considering 2004 as well). They have been easily the 8-10th ranked team for quite a while, with a couple of positive results sprinkled against teams close to their pecking order.

And yes, Kilkenny have regressed. But that is obvious. Kilkenny have gone from being arguably the greatest team in the history of the sport, there is only one way you go from there, and that is down. From say 5 years ago, just after Kilkennys peak and Wexfords worst position, there was a humongous gap in the quality of the teams. That gap has shortened considerably. has it closed? Only next Saturday will tell. I wouldnt be expecting Wexford to be favourites at all, they are still building and as you say, Kilkenny still have absolute top quality, but the signs are better for Wexford at least.

bruschi wrote: »
    capacity is closer to 19,000 for the game (despite the venue not being full whilst holding 23,000 the last time the 2 teams played there in 2011) . 1,600 tickets were allocated to Kilkenny season tickets.

We'll all I can tell you is I was talking to the KK Co. Board treasurer yesterday and he told me the capacity has been set at 15,100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

My Irish isn't up to much but am I correct in saying that Eoin Murphy had a brother playing for the 21s last night and Tommy Walsh a cousin?

• Advertisement

We'll all I can tell you is I was talking to the KK Co. Board treasurer yesterday and he told me the capacity has been set at 15,100.

All I can tell you is that he is wrong. The capacity will be greater than 15,000.

More public sale tickets for terraces are also going on sale tomorrow afternoon. Unless Kilkenny clubs or season ticket holders return seated tickets, then it can be taken that both seated stands are sold out. There is a curtain raiser game going to be played too.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    My Irish isn't up to much but am I correct in saying that Eoin Murphy had a brother playing for the 21s last night and Tommy Walsh a cousin?

Alan who was on the frees is eoins brother and tommy who was wing back is a cousin is think.shane who was corner forward is padraigs brother I thought he was lively enough while tommy was also good.I was surprised Andy gaffney didn't come on maybe he was injured also very surprised Kevin farrell couldn't make the panel he had a good club campaign last year but I suppose when you c scanlon not starting it shows the strength of the squad,they'll surely improve as they go

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

Does anyone know when was the last time Wex beat KK twice in the same year?

To be honest I think it'll be a damp squib for 2 reasons.

1. The way Wexford play under Davy will make it attritional and horrible to watch. I went to the Tipp v Wex league semi in the park and the amount of whinging from Wexford fans when move after move broke down. I don't blame them it's horrible and very frustrating to watch when your losing.

2. I think Kilkenny will win and should have learnt from Tipp how to take them apart. The crowd may get disheartened if a big lead is opened up although I doubt this given the way they line out

bodun wrote: »

I looked as far back as 1994 (Championship and League) and it didn't happen during that time frame. Any of the years that Wexford beat KK in the Leinster Championship, they either lost to KK in the League or else they were in different groups.

bodun wrote: »

1988 league and championship wins for Wexford.

Have a look at www.hurlingfacts.com has the answer to most queries like that. You change the parameters and get head to heads for any counties back to 1887 league and championship results only.

I agree with your observation that KK and Wexford have been on different ends of the hurling ranking ladder in recent times. Weather the gap has closed I am not that sure. June 10th will obviously tell the tail. On paper, pound for pound and man for man, KK have a better all round team. If KK play to anywhere near there potential, they will win simply because they have better hurlers. They have guys who have done it on the big day, Wexford are still yet to.

The point I am trying to make is that wexford (from my observation) don't do well when they come into a game with expectation on their shoulders (maybe choker is the wrong word)

We have all seen it: a game that is hyped up, talked about for months in advance and generally it can disappoint.

bruschi wrote: »
    All I can tell you is that he is wrong. The capacity will be greater than 15,000.

More public sale tickets for terraces are also going on sale tomorrow afternoon.

Will those tickets be available online Bruschi do you know?

To be honest I think it'll be a damp squib for 2 reasons.

1. The way Wexford play under Davy will make it attritional and horrible to watch. I went to the Tipp v Wex league semi in the park and the amount of whinging from Wexford fans when move after move broke down. I don't blame them it's horrible and very frustrating to watch when your losing.

2. I think Kilkenny will win and should have learnt from Tipp how to take them apart. The crowd may get disheartened if a big lead is opened up although I doubt this given the way they line out

Tbh while I expect davy to have them wired and pretty well organised I myself expect us to win.I believe our fitness will be much improved from our last meeting and our touch should be better and the addition of kevin kelly,alyward and fennelly will strengthen the squad.Padraig will be given every chance so he'd also be a huge help if available.
    Any news from their visit to carlton house or team news?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

Will those tickets be available online Bruschi do you know?

just in wexford park as far i know

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement