Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn care for winter

Options
  • 25-11-2015 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

I had a new lawn laid in June this year (it was rolled turf) and I am just wondering what I should do with it for winter, if anything. I gave it what I thought would be a last cut several weeks ago, but I'm just wondering if I should cut it again as it is between 2 and 3 inches now. I'm a bit concerned that this might be too long and might damage it over the winter. Also, is there any feed I should be giving it to protect it, or should I just leave it completely alone now until spring?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

2 to 3 inches does not sound too long and I'm not aware of how this could damage the lawn over winter. With the amount of rain we are having I would say the best think is to leave it alone until spring.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

It's fine at that height, never cut too close on final cut of season as will weaken grass and allow moss and weeds to take hold. A Light scarifying to remove thatch and debris followed by a Winter fertilizer if conditions allow, which is rich in potassium for root development and will keep the lawn healthy over the harsh months.

Advertisement