Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for winning 25's card game

Options
  • 25-11-2015 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I fully understand the rules of this game. What I'm in search of are a few tips / rules of thumb that would help me win a few games e.g.
    when should you play your best trump cards?
    when should you play the 5 of trumps?
    when should you play your weaker trump cards?
    hints for stopping the lead player from winning?
    I have seen people online suggesting "play your 2nd card first", but I don't fully understand what they mean

suggestions on the above and any other tips would be greatly appreciated

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

PGL wrote: »
    Hi folks

I fully understand the rules of this game. What I'm in search of are a few tips / rules of thumb that would help me win a few games e.g.
    when should you play your best trump cards?
    when should you play the 5 of trumps?
    when should you play your weaker trump cards?
    hints for stopping the lead player from winning?
    I have seen people online suggesting "play your 2nd card first", but I don't fully understand what they mean

suggestions on the above and any other tips would be greatly appreciated

cheers!

Is this a computer game??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Is this a computer game??:confused:

Others have discussed 25 in this forum - I could not find another suitable forum to insert it in

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Others have discussed 25 in this forum - I could not find another suitable forum to insert it in

Oh right.
    I'm no expert - but I've played a good bit.
    And all your questions are going to be hard to answer, as its all specific to how the game around you is going.

If your the dealer and the cards are coming back into, you would use one of your weaker trump cards to win. Dealer should always take their trick.

You could then use the 5 of trumps to win the next play, however this is quite an agressive move and should only be done if your close to getting to 25.

Try not to hold onto your best cards until the end, there are a lot of occasions where someone would hold onto Jack of trumps, then someone else the ace of hearts, only to be wiped out by the person who was holding onto the 5

The 5 is an instant win, so can be saved to win the last play, or can be used to wipe out the field of other decent cards, however another player may have several decent cards, so its not guaranteed too.

Usually the weaker trump cards are played, when you have the short corner, so maybe nobody has played a good card and its just you and one more person left to play a card, you may sneak a win that way. Also as said weaker cards are good for the dealer to win the first play.

In terms of stopping the lead player, its usually a team effort, so the other players will try to ensure the last card put down will not come from the lead player, also in this occassion you wouldn't usually start the play by putting down the 5, as it could wipe the field of all the other players cards, and may help the lead player.

Its all situational - the more you play the more you'll learn

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

Great game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Always go your corner..

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    Always go your corner..

What do you mean by this?

some very useful tips guys - thanks a mill!

anyone got more to add?

also what does "play your 2nd card first" mean?

What do you mean by this?

Hmm, how to explain going your corner. Its basically means not giving the dealer a handy trick. In a six if im two people away from the dealer i might shoot in a trump to test the dealer. Its called going your corner. Stops dealers partner winning as will in a six or a nine

Sorry if the wording is wrong, 25 must be one of the hardest games to explain...

some very useful tips guys - thanks a mill!

anyone got more to add?

also what does "play your 2nd card first" mean?

Must say ive never heard of that one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, 25, known as 45 or combs around these parts.

Lets see, tips, assuming you're play 3 twos.
    • Never let a partner into a partner
    • Try not to lose the cover to a high card
    • If you've a loan trump let it off
    • Take your lift
    • Let the play come around to you
    • Don't bring trouble on your partner
    • Keep paint of the first lays suit

Nost importantly, don't let the auld ones bully ya :D

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh, 25, known as 45 or combs around these parts.

Lets see, tips, assuming you're play 3 twos.
    • Never let a partner into a partner
    • Try not to lose the cover to a high card
    • If you've a loan trump let it off
    • Take your lift
    • Let the play come around to you
    • Don't bring trouble on your partner
    • Keep paint of the first lays suit

Nost importantly, don't let the auld ones bully ya :D

Fair play to you Clareman for that list. Would you mind putting it in plainer English for a novice like myself?

Thanks a mill

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

[*]Never let a partner into a partner
    If the person next to you is the last to play and their partner is winning, beat card

[*]Try not to lose the cover to a high card
    If you have (for example) Jack and 7 of trumps, don't "waste" the 7 as if someone lays the 5 you'll lose the Jack

[*]If you've a loan trump let it off
    If you have 1 trump in your hand and it's your lay consider playing the trump

[*]Take your lift
    If the play is coming into you win the lift

[*]Let the play come around to you
    If you're second last to play consider letting a "soft" lift go as you will then be the last to play next time around

[*]Don't bring trouble on your partner
    If it's into your partner try not to plat too strong a card

[*]Keep paint of the first lays suit
    If (for example) clubs are laid first and you've the jack and 10, play the 10 first off as you might have a chance with the jack on the last lift

One more question Clareman:

What do you mean by "you're play 3 twos"?

One more question Clareman:

What do you mean by "you're play 3 twos"?

A game of 25 called a 6, which consists of 3 teams of two people, so you play with a partner.

You can also play 6 single hands, which is 6 people playing for themselves and
    then theres a 9, which is 3 teams of three people. The 9 is where it gets interesting. Even trying to count the game some times can lead to rows...:D

Glebee wrote: »
    A game of 25 called a 6, which consists of 3 teams of two people, so you play with a partner.

You can also play 6 single hands, which is 6 people playing for themselves and
    then theres a 9, which is 3 teams of three people. The 9 is where it gets interesting. Even trying to count the game some times can lead to rows...:D

Thanks Glebee.

Clareman's tips make a lot more sense to me now seeing as he was referring to the team format

Sorry, yeah, team format I meant. 3 twos is what we normally play down here, there's another game of 3 threes, that means you're playing with 2 others against 6 people and 46 of the 53 cards in the deck are in play, you really have to pay attention.

If you're playing single handed games, then take the "short corner" (i.e. when there's only a couple of players left to play after you) wherever possible to get a lift. Another tip for 25 if you're playing best trump is don't get caught with the best trump in your hand, it only counts once it's played so if someone else gets to the score before you it's no use to you.

Clareman wrote: »
    Another tip for 25 if you're playing best trump is don't get caught with the best trump in your hand, it only counts once it's played so if someone else gets to the score before you it's no use to you.

don't fully understand what you mean here. do you mean play your better trump cards early in the game?

don't fully understand what you mean here. do you mean play your better trump cards early in the game?

If you're playing 45 and it's 5 for best trump, as soon as you have 35 and have the 5/Joker in your hand play it, it'll be game over, I've seen people get caught with the best trump in their hand loads of time.

Advertisement