Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Office Attire/Clothes

• 25-11-2015 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Starting a new job on Monday and just looking for a bit of advice.

Been in my current job a while and the dress code is quite relaxed - I usually wear nice fitted shirts, open collar with no tie, skinny jeans and boots, normall Chelsea boots, or some nice Italian leathers.

Anyways, new job seems to be much stricter in terms of dress code so I'm just looking for some ideas.

Never been a fan of trousers/slacks so was thinking maybe a pair of skinny fit trousers as I do like the cut of them when I've seen them on anyone, unless you can suggest alternatives to trousers? Again, quite like skinny/slim/straight leg instead of anything baggy.

Also was considering investing in a few v neck sweaters to wear over a shirt?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Starting a new job on Monday and just looking for a bit of advice.

Been in my current job a while and the dress code is quite relaxed - I usually wear nice fitted shirts, open collar with no tie, skinny jeans and boots, normall Chelsea boots, or some nice Italian leathers.

Anyways, new job seems to be much stricter in terms of dress code so I'm just looking for some ideas.

Never been a fan of trousers/slacks so was thinking maybe a pair of skinny fit trousers as I do like the cut of them when I've seen them on anyone, unless you can suggest alternatives to trousers? Again, quite like skinny/slim/straight leg instead of anything baggy.

Also was considering investing in a few v neck sweaters to wear over a shirt?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)

All sounds fairly good to me. I'd go with round-neck sweaters instead, and there are some interesting options at the moment for trousers, such as slim-fit, cuffed wool trousers (like really well-made joggers) from the likes of Neil Barrett and D&G (http://www.mrporter.com/mens/dolce_and_gabbana/slim-fit-stretch-virgin-wool-blend-trousers/590262. It's a style I've only seen from high-end designers at this point, though.

Ignoring the prices here for a second (Mr Porter is very expensive, but always worth seeing how they put outfits together), the overall look the model is wearing is pretty nice: http://www.mrporter.com/en-ie/mens/club_monaco/cashmere-sweater/661451

Or, if you wear jeans instead, but sharpen up with a blazer: http://www.mrporter.com/en-ie/mens/burberry_london/slim-fit-cable-knit-cashmere-sweater/636499

There aren't too many ways to mess up office clothing to be honest, but I'd stick with a slim silhouette, don't wear a belt, and maybe invest in a few really nice slim, silk ties, depending on how formal the dress code is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Delta Echo Charlie

The problem I'm having with wearing trousers is whenever I wear them, they go in too far at the waist and once my shirt is tucked in, the trousers then create the allusion of a belly.

I dont know whether its the trousers or because I like tight fitting shirts so the trouser wait is causing them to be tighter than usual thus generating a belly

There aren't too many ways to mess up office clothing to be honest, but I'd stick with a slim silhouette, don't wear a belt, and maybe invest in a few really nice slim, silk ties, depending on how formal the dress code is.[/QUOTE]

Are jeans accepted in any office? and why no belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Deise_vixen

To add a female perspective, if I may....

What you plan on wearing sounds pretty good to me. I work in a very large organisation and "smart casual" is the office attire, so typically you see the guys in fitted shirts, tailored trousers (slim leg like you suggested) Mon to Thurs and then most wear jeans and a nice shirt on Fridays. In the winter most have jumpers/sweatshirts too......even if it's only because you don't know what the air-con will be like one day to the next here!

To be honest though, I know that you want to fit in, and that you don't want to wear something that is considered completely inappropriate, but you have to be comfortable in your own skin. Nothing worse than having to invent an office wardrobe to blend in with the masses when you would never normally wear that style of clothes.

So pick your "best" outfits for the first couple of days then go with what you are comfortable in (but always, always wear a belt!!!)

Best of luck with the new job!

To add a female perspective, if I may....

What you plan on wearing sounds pretty good to me. I work in a very large organisation and "smart casual" is the office attire, so typically you see the guys in fitted shirts, tailored trousers (slim leg like you suggested) Mon to Thurs and then most wear jeans and a nice shirt on Fridays. In the winter most have jumpers/sweatshirts too......even if it's only because you don't know what the air-con will be like one day to the next here!

To be honest though, I know that you want to fit in, and that you don't want to wear something that is considered completely inappropriate, but you have to be comfortable in your own skin. Nothing worse than having to invent an office wardrobe to blend in with the masses when you would never normally wear that style of clothes.

So pick your "best" outfits for the first couple of days then go with what you are comfortable in (but always, always wear a belt!!!)

Best of luck with the new job!

Thanks for taking the time to write that :)

As I said, ideally I'd love to continue with my tight jeans but I don't think I'd be allowed- the rest of my outfit I'm completely comfortable with.

I suppose they're all first world problems though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Are jeans accepted in any office? and why no belt?

I think as long as you are wearing dark navy or black jeans, they should be fine. As for the no belt thing, that just something I'd recommend if you're wearing formal trousers, not jeans. I think if you're wearing a tucked, slim-cut formal shirt and slim-cut formal trousers, the whole silhouette looks sharper without a protruding belt, provided you have a slim waist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

The problem I'm having with wearing trousers is whenever I wear them, they go in too far at the waist and once my shirt is tucked in, the trousers then create the allusion of a belly.

I dont know whether its the trousers or because I like tight fitting shirts so the trouser wait is causing them to be tighter than usual thus generating a belly

Sounds like your trousers are either a) too slim and/or b) the rise is too low. If the trousers are too skinny the shirt will create a muffin-top silhouette when tucked in as they'll billow out as the trouser waist cinches them in.

Slacks/trousers - call them what you will, they're designed to be looser fitting than jeans. It's in their very nature to have a medium-high rise and be fuller in the seat and leg. When you slim them down too much you ruin the draping lines of the clothing and take all the elegance out of them.

If you're wearing office clothes four days a week and casual stuff on a Friday all you really need is two pairs of trousers, four shirts and two pairs of shoes. You should be able to pick the trousers and shirts up from any good menswear shop. Invest in good shoes and take care of them. If you drive to and from work get leather soled shoes. If you walk a lot outdoors you'll probably want rubber soles. If you walk a lot but want the elegance of leather soled shoes you could split the difference and go for dainite soles. Run a mile from anything with a square toe. You want shoes that look like this and not like this

Few general tips:

- Don't wear the same pair of shoes day in, day out as you'll ruin them within a few months.
    - Avoid black trousers like the plague. They tend to look cheap and with a white shirt you'll look like a lost waiter. The best most versatile colour for trousers hands down is grey. Navy is surprisingly tricky to coordinate with jackets and shoes but it can be done. Brown can be very nice for trousers.

Advertisement