Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

microATX build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Drop to a 400w PSU to knock a little off, you wont need 600w

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Maybe drop to a 500w, as 400w is cutting things close in terms of efficiency and OVP. Most PSUs have better protection 500w and above, however if I am not mistaken, Corsair's Gold series does have pretty good protection and cooling in the sub-500w models.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

450W is probably the sweet spot for R380 builds that avoid having an absolute furnace of a CPU, this build will be unlikely to push past 230-250W without throwing FurMark at it, almost all of that figure being the 380 (thirsty beast!). Given that a good 450W PSU will usually output ~440W on the 12V you'll be seeing 50-60% PSU utilization during heavy loads - right in the sweet spot, with plenty of headroom for usage spikes or, well, FurMark :p

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the advice.
    After looking for reviews of the i3 / 380 pairing to see what they can achieve
    I came across opinions that the i3 6100 is significantly faster with higher-speed RAM.
    So if I swap out for these

1 x ASRock Z170M Pro4S (90-MXB060-A0UAYZ)
    1 x Corsair Vengeance LPX red DIMM 8GB, DDR4-2666, CL16-18-18-35 (CMK8GX4M1A2666C16R)

I bump up the price by €38 but I can have the option of future upgrades like a clockable cpu and crossfire gpu in a year or two.
    I mean part of the reason of going for a pc is the tinkering as well as the improved performance over a console??

So my question is what psu would be required for say a i7 6700K or i5 6600K overclocked with a suitable cooling sytem, 2 x r9 380 and 2 hard drives (a SSD and a SATA)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

I am looking at a similar build. Have stock coolers become quieter in recent years, or is it better to get a third party one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Stock coolers are fine, nothing wrong with them.

OP, I'd tell you to upgrade the PSU when you need to as opposed to getting a monster now

Advertisement