Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycotton 10 - Sunday March 6th 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

There may or may not be buses going from the train station in Cork. You will have to contact Ballycotton Running to find out. Details for this are in the booklet, which you should have received.

Yep emailed them during the week but haven't had a reply, so was just wondering if anyone else had heard anything
    Gavlor wrote: »
    Bus leaving from the city in the RSC.

WHICH CITY?!!

Cork, sorry should have specified that of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

From the Facebook group....

BALLYCOTTON ‘10’ UPDATE… (02/03/2016)

With just four days to go to Sunday next, what follows is a brief update on preparations.

At this stage, the vast majority of entrants should have received their race packs. For those that were not delivered due to insufficient addresses, people are asked to report to the Community Hall on Sunday (10am onwards) for a new number. Most of the information you require is contained in the FAQs in the race programme and any new updates will be published here on Friday/Saturday.

To remind people once again, on no account can numbers be transferred. This year, name and category is printed on the number and you are also asked to fill in your details on the back. In the case of an emergency, it can have dire consequences if a person is wearing someone else’s number. All iPods, headphones, etc are banned for safety reasons which this year take on an even greater urgency due to the condition of the roads (see below). As in all our promotions, no buggys, dogs or bicycles are allowed at any stage on the course as up to 3,000 people will be taking up the full width of the road.

It goes with saying that the past three or four months have seen unprecedented weather conditions with rain an almost daily occurrence. On Friday night last, conditions in the east Cork were probably the worst experienced all winter and if the race had been scheduled for last Sunday, it all probability it wouldn’t have gone ahead. In our 38 years organising the race, this is unquestionably our hardest yet, all due to circumstances outside our control.

While we all hope and pray for a fine day next Sunday, that alone won’t be enough. Over the next few days, the conditions of the fields used for parking will determine a lot. As well, the approach roads to Ballycotton are in a particularly bad state – especially the route from Cloyne to Churchtown South to Ballycotton which will bear the brunt of the traffic. Last year, our main car park accommodated over 1,000 cars and at this stage we aren’t sure if this can be used. So we ask people if at all possible to car pool to cut down the number of vehicles and also to allow extra time in getting to Ballycotton.

We have contacted Cork County Council in relation to the road conditions and hopefully they will be able to fill in some of the many potholes in the area, although we understand the pressure the road maintenance staff is under. If any of you have influence in this regard, maybe highlighting the situation on Facebook pages, etc might be of benefit.

We will have an update and last minute instructions on this website before Sunday and once again we ask for your co-operation and patience as we try and deal with the above problems on a daily (and hourly) basis.

Ballycotton Running Promotions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Don't see the big deal with this race. Like Clonakilty, you'll be running on pretty ****ty roads where you'll have a high chance of twisting something. Wouldn't do it if you're training for something important

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Don't see the big deal with this race. Like Clonakilty, you'll be running on pretty ****ty roads where you'll have a high chance of twisting something. Wouldn't do it if you're training for something important

For a lot of people this is something important. As for the state of the roads, if everyone had that attitude, then no one would turn up to most of the road races around County Cork.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Found the roads to be fine last year. No issues whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

For a lot of people this is something important. As for the state of the roads, if everyone had that attitude, then no one would turn up to most of the road races around County Cork Ireland.

FYP ;)

From the Ballycotton 10 Facebook page:

"Update 2 from the Ballycotton 10 organisers
    BALLYCOTTON ‘10’ UPDATE… (04/03/2016, 2pm)
    As mentioned in our previous update, in our 38 years organising the race this unquestionably have been the most difficult, due to circumstances completely outside our control.
    Car parking each year is now our biggest concern and with the unprecedented weather conditions this winter it has taken on an even greater urgency. Up to noon today (Friday), whether the race took place or not on Sunday was in doubt. However, we have decided to go ahead and we would ask that people take note of the parking arrangements and to follow the instructions of the Gardai and the race stewards.
    Once again, we ask people if at all possible to car pool to cut down the number of vehicles and also to allow extra time in getting to Ballycotton.
    With the extra logistics due to the car parking arrangements, we would certainly welcome any extra help on the day. If anyone is free to offer assistance, please contact Tom Hartnett at: 086-2386390.
    Thanks to Cork County Council, repairs have been carried out on the various roads in the area but we remind runners that iPods, headphones, etc are banned for safety reasons and buggys, dogs or bicycles are not allowed at any stage on the course.
    For those who did not receive their race packs, please report to the Community Hall on Sunday (10am onwards) for a new number. Most of the information you require is contained in the FAQs in the race programme and on no account can numbers be transferred.
    And finally, in anticipation we thank you for your co-operation and patience and we wish you all an enjoyable and rewarding day around the roads of Ballycotton on Sunday next.
    Ballycotton Running Promotions"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

39th BALLYCOTTON ‘10’ ELITE LINE-UP

Despite the absence of Sergiu Ciobanu who would be going for a unique six-in-a-row, there is still an exciting line-up for this year’s race. Ciobanu, of Clonliffe Harriers, has won the race every year since 2011, recording his fastest time of 48:58 in 2014.

Having achieved the Olympic Marathon qualifying standard he, like Lizzie Lee, is more than likely concentrating on the World Half-Marathon championships which take place in Cardiff in three weeks time.

Making his Ballycotton debut is Joe Sweeney of DSD who is returning from injury. Second in the 2013 Dublin Marathon in a time of 2:18:19, the 6’ 2” Sweeney finished fifth in the GloHealth National Inter-Clubs last November, making the Irish team for the Europeans. He has a 10,000m track best of 28:45.17 and is coached by former Ballycotton record holder Jerry Kiernan.

Dave Flynn from Clonliffe finished eight in the Inter-Clubs and is currently based in the United States. He is moving up in distance and this will be his first race in Ireland over five miles, although he ran 67:04 for a half-marathon in Arizona back in January.

Also making his debut in the race is Mark Hanrahan of Leevale, currently in heavy training for a spring marathon. He did run the Ballycotton ‘5’ last August where his winning time of 24:10 was the fastest recorded in that race for 20 years.

Alan O'Shea (Bantry) has been in good form on the local scene in recent weeks and finished third in the race last year, with a second place the previous year to add to his victory back in 2007.

East Cork runners James McCarthy and Tim O'Donoghue have been regular top five finishers in recent years and will be joined by their club-mate Michael Harty who has just returned from a five-week training spell at altitude in Kenya.

With course record holder Maria McCambridge and former winner Lizzie Lee absent, the best of the women should be Siobhan O'Doherty who finished first in 2014 and second both last year and 2013 (when she recorded her fasted time of 56:56).

Aoife Cooke from Youghal, winner of the National Novice C-C last December should improve on her fourth place in Ballycotton 12 months ago. Aoife is niece of Mary Sweeney who won the first women’s race at Ballycotton in 1979 and is entered again, having finished second in the F50 category last year in 68:11.
    ---Ballycotton Running Promotions

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

Hi Anybody driving down from Dublin for this tomorrow morning/this evening ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Best of luck tomorrow evtoeryone taking part. Hope ye all get the times ye want.

• Advertisement

Just parked up below in Ballycotton. Lashing rain, 3°C, light breeze. It's going to be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Hope all went for everyone, just found out I equalled my 10 mile PB to the very second...1:18:52. I find that funny after 10 miles on a different course with a very different day to do the exact same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Weather wasn't as bad as forecast thankfully. Went ok for me, managed to eke out over a minutes improvement from the Dungarvan 10 so will see if I can manage the same for Mallow in a few weeks. One of the things I really like about Ballycotton is the amount of people you end up meeting there, bumped into TFBubendorfer & Krusty Clown from these parts and a whole plethora of current & former work colleagues, people I know from running & a few friends.

Looks like a few hiccups this year as the old bag drop area has been built on so there was some impressive queues at the new area, I just lobbed my bag over the barrier to avoid it which paid off as some of my friends started the race halfway down the muddy path to the road and they was saying there were plenty people behind them as well!

Still great event & no doubt they'll have it all sorted out for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

101st, gah! So near a tshirt but yet so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Opus

Did TFB get a tee shirt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ger664 wrote: »
    Opus

Did TFB get a tee shirt ?

Not even close :)

145th in 1:01:52. I certainly did not expect one this year. After more than a few real-life issues having an impact on my training this year I was nowhere near top shape and actually surprised myself by running over a minute faster than what I would have thought possible in the best-case scenario

If it's any consolation l I know EXACTLY what that feels like. :(

I was highly tempted to throw a tantrum and smash my mug into smithereens a couple of years ago but thankfully managed to remain reasonably calm on the outside!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I find it strange that you can finish 99th in the mens race and get a T-shirt, yet finish 2nd in the womens race and not get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

adrian522 wrote: »
    I find it strange that you can finish 99th in the mens race and get a T-shirt, yet finish 2nd in the womens race and not get one.

I was just saying that recently to a friend. Top 50 for each would be better!

Glad Ballycotton went so well for so many people this year. it sounds great. I was gutted to miss it! (Didn't get my entry in on time. I'm setting a calendar reminder next year!)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

That's a bit nuts about the lack of t-shirts for women, hadn't realised (not that I would ever be up near there) but sounds quite sexist alright!

A really enjoyable race. Managed to take 1 minute off my PB from years ago (83 v 84) despite not having trained half as much, so chuffed with that.

The start as a complete mess. Having to wait nearly half an hour for the bag drop and then get stuck in the gridlock for another 15 minutes was mental. Nobody knew what was going on and it was a bit weird and panicky to be honest. Some loudhailers or something would have been good. It was then very weird to start a race without a start gun....just to head off at your own pace. It was nice to have such an open course for the first two miles though, really helped to get into a good pace. Although from mile 2 to 3 was where it got hectic - with the fake tan brigade taking over the road 5 and 6 abreast. Between that and the amount of people with earphones, it did get frustrating!

That said, as always it is always a really enjoyable running day, the atmosphere is superb and above all other races, it really makes you feel part of a "running community". Well done to all the supporters and stewards, they had a far harder day in that weather than we had. Especially the guys pulling the cars out of the mud in the car park - not a pleasant job!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's the absolute opposite of sexism. They provide T-Shirts to the top 100 finishers regardless of gender. If the top 100 finishers were female, then no male finishers would get T-Shirts. Their prize-structure is identical for both males and females. The top 100 t-shirts are for the first 100 people to cross the finish line.

Everyone gets a mug, which as we all know, is a much more prized possession (I'm not just saying that because I haven't a hope of ever winning a t-shirt :-) ). If my memory serves me correctly, they offer T-shirts to the top 50 male and top 30 female overall in the Ballycotton 5 mile summer series. There were some accusations of sexism thrown around about this as well, but I think the figures showed that a higher percentage of women were in with a chance of winning a t shirt. Whatever criticisms are levelled at this event, the must be doing something right judging by mad rush to register every year, and the number of people disappointed at not gaining entry. It was my second year doing it and I think its a great event over a great course at a cheap price, with a great history. I'm looking forward to next year already. I have to say though (and this is not a criticism of the event) that the weather did take away from the event a bit yesterday, and anyone who attended there first Ballycotton yesterday and was maybe a bit put off - come back again and give it another shot. You won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Hate to take consolation from someone else's hardship but feel much better about being 13 places out now.......see you next year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Hate to take consolation from someone else's hardship but feel much better about being 13 places out now.......see you next year!!

I'm glad someone can take something good from it :P

Next year indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I have to say though (and this is not a criticism of the event) that the weather did take away from the event a bit yesterday, and anyone who attended there first Ballycotton yesterday and was maybe a bit put off - come back again and give it another shot. You won't be disappointed.

The weather didn't bother me a bit. I certainly hope to return.

Murph_D wrote:
    The weather didn't bother me a bit. I certainly hope to return.

Yeah, I phrased that badly I think. It was meant to be a bit more positive than it reads. It's a great event, a classic in every sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I was just saying that recently to a friend. Top 50 for each would be better!

Glad Ballycotton went so well for so many people this year. it sounds great. I was gutted to miss it! (Didn't get my entry in on time. I'm setting a calendar reminder next year!)

Top 50 women under 1:12:56
    Top 50 men under 57:45

Approx 25% slower. The normal amount for world record is 11 or 12 % so 25% ain't bad considering there were a few household women names missing too.

Its really got much closer and I think some sort of split like 30/70 if this year times were taken into account would make sense. There are much less women who run competitively. 73 mins for woman is about 65 mins for a man. Sorry but I can't say either are deserving of a top 100 t-shirt. Something needs to be done as its way to male biased presently alright but it needs to be done a way that people are judged on performance on not sex as going 50/50 is going too far the other way.

If the organisers start getting grief over the perceived sexism of the t-shirts then I predict they will just stop handing out those t-shirts.

Ballycotton is a huge organisational challenge to pull off and everything they do is with the benefits of the runners in mind. When someone came up with the nice idea of handing out special commemorative t-shirts to all the top-100 finishers it must have sounded like a lovely extra touch.

It's a real shame that some insist on seeing the negatives in something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

If the organisers start getting grief over the perceived sexism of the t-shirts then I predict they will just stop handing out those t-shirts.

Ballycotton is a huge organisational challenge to pull off and everything they do is with the benefits of the runners in mind. When someone came up with the nice idea of handing out special commemorative t-shirts to all the top-100 finishers it must have sounded like a lovely extra touch.

It's a real shame that some insist on seeing the negatives in something like that.

Finding the cloud in the silver lining is the world's favourite pass time these days.as Krusty said up thread the top 100 getting t shirts is the exact opposite of sexism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

T-Shirt or no t-shirt this is a great event. Has become one my favourite events of the year. As always this year it was well organized, well managed and had a field with excellent depth. If you want to test yourself this is a great place to do it....male or female. Thanks to all involved. Hope to see you again same time same place next year!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement