Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycotton 10 - Sunday March 6th 2016

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

If I could run a 10 in sub-60 I sure as hell wouldn't give tuppence for a tee-shirt. The time would be reward enough. I would have thought that most runners would feel the same. It's a frippery, a bauble, and not worth wasting time on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Some nonsense on here.
    The whole point of the t-shirt (I would have thought) is that it's proof that you were amongst the top 100 finishers. It's what it represents, not the physical acquisition of another piece of running attire. Some may never achieve it. That's just tough. Like the way most athletes won't win an Olympic medal in their lifetime. If Ballycotton start fiddling around with one of their traditions to suit the complainers, it would just devalue the whole achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Ososlo wrote: »
    At least nobody's calling them 'LADIES'!!!!!!!

#makingprogress ;)

'Yawn' - not this again please ! #welloldatthisstage
    FFS, Is there any bit of competitiveness still alive in modern day Ireland?

Why do standards need to be continually lowered for fear of offending people?

Token things like a top 100 t shirt are sweeter because of the effort put in to achieving this and probably even more so for women who become part of a relatively small group over the years to earn one of these.

We should be encouraging tougher standards not shying away, there are plenty of all inclusive "everyone is a winner" type races around these days to keep the odd event aimed at being competitive ( such as this, Charleville HM and Armagh 5k)

Look at the US and the Boston/US Olympic Trial qualifiers. They are a big deal to people and a tangible reward aside from a PB.

+1 Really surprised to see this discussion about a race the calibre of Ballycotton. There are more than enough mass participation events out there where you don't even have to finish the race to get the t-shirt ! Great to see races like this where rewards are earned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

kit3 wrote: »
    'Yawn' - not this again please ! #welloldatthisstage

LOL
    SO Predictable;)

I said to someone a few hours ago that you'd be in like Flynn!

Ososlo wrote: »
    LOL
    SO Predicable;)

I said to someone a few hours ago that you'd be in like Flynn!

Was that the purpose behind your comment - pity, others here are trying to have a discussion. I don't intend to contribute to an attempt to derail the thread. Feel free to pm me if you wish to discuss any issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Now now ladies.

There's more than one poster behaving predictably on this thread.

Garry Clarke, our club legend, was only telling some of us last night how he (and 4 or 5 other Tallaght runners) ran 57mins in Ballycotton one year and didn't get a tee-shirt. This was a 2.37 marathoner.

davedanon wrote: »
    Garry Clarke, our club legend, was only telling some of us last night how he (and 4 or 5 other Tallaght runners) ran 57mins in Ballycotton one year and didn't get a tee-shirt. This was a 2.37 marathoner.

That's some going - really shows what it means to get one of those t-shirts. Hope they never change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

They probably thieved one on the way home :D

No stereotyping here whatsoever

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    No stereotyping here whatsoever

No problem, Micilín Paddy-Joe. How's that new muck-spreader?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gender quotas everywhere. Just can't escape it.

They can organise it whatever way they want, but the fact that men and women enter the race surely someone with a brain and some common sense would have split first 50 men and first 50 women get the "prize."

walshb wrote: »
    Gender quotas everywhere. Just can't escape it.

They can organise it whatever way they want, but the fact that men and women enter the race surely someone with a brain and some common sense would have split first 50 men and first 50 women get the "prize."

Why?

Why?

Because IMO it's the proper and right thing to do!

Because IMO it's the proper and right thing to do!

But it's not!

The top 100 fastest in the race get the t-shirt regardless of gender.

Should they also allow for age cat, weight cat etc??

And walshie finds a new hobby-horse.

DNFTSAP (serially argumentative poster)

But it's not!

The top 100 fastest in the race get the t-shirt regardless of gender.

Should they also allow for age cat, weight cat etc??

Like I said, it's a personal opinion on this instance. If I were the race organiser I would split the prize 50-50. From reading the thread I am not alone in this view. BTW, they could add in other criteria, as you mentinined. Up to them.

Splitting it 50-50 does not in any way take away from the competitiveness of the race. Actually makes it more competitive, as now only 50 t shirts are really available depending on your gender. Like I said, bit of common sense lacking with the Ballycotton crew!

And walshie finds a new hobby-horse.

DNFTSAP (serially argumentative poster)

dave, you seem a little frustrated by me recently. All ok?

dave, you seem a little frustrated by me recently. All ok?

Just commenting, dude, as you are.

What are you implying with your second sentence, btw?

Like I said, bit of common sense lacking with the Ballycotton crew!

*In your opinion

• Advertisement

Just commenting, dude, as you are.

What are you implying with your second sentence, btw?

Ah no. Don't be obtuse. You wishing me a perma ban a while back for an opinion I had, as well as the pig analogy (which I found genuinely funny) is not just a case of "just commenting dude." My second sentence is a question as to: all ok with you as regards your attitude-feel towards me as a poster on the forum?

There are severeal on this thread who don't agree with the 100 t shirts to the first 100. I am just one. Your kinda' silly snide replies to my view(s) are a bit too obvious. There appears to be an element of anger-frustration when replying to me.

Anyway, it's only an internet forum. Very few peopoe here actually hang out in person. It's best to get along and debate in a mature and easy going fashion.

*In your opinion

Yes. Thanks for reiterating that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Since we have, sadly but predictably, descended into the depths of purely personal slagging matches, this thread has hereby run its course.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement