Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan - Ballyowen Avenue Vs Esker Woods

• 25-11-2015 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi,
    We are 2adults and a 6 year old boy thinking about buying a house in lucan.
    All other things being equal, how does Ballyowen Avenue compare with Esker Woods for a family e.g. Is one more rentals than the other? 440k in Ballyowen, 425k in Esker Woods
    Jos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I think you'll get better answers in the more local forum than in A&P, thread moved.

Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Both are much of a muchness, Jos.
    Esker would be a little bit quieter but it's a bit further from the main road.
    Ballyowen Avenue would be that little bit handier for the bus - 25a and 25b are nearby.
    Both nice estates though.
    Elmbrook is also another nice quiet estate.
    They're all very settled and, from what I've seen, the number of rentals has decreased in the last few years in that general area.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jos_kel

Heroditas wrote: »
    Ballyowen Avenue would be that little bit handier for the bus - 25a and 25b are nearby.
    They're all very settled and, from what I've seen, the number of rentals has decreased in the last few years in that general area.

Just on that, any thoughts on Hayden Park. I know it's much further in than Ballyowen or Esker. But what about it for family with 6 year old boy.

Jos

You're miles away from anywhere there. That's reflected in the asking prices for houses.

Just on that, any thoughts on Hayden Park. I know it's much further in than Ballyowen or Esker. But what about it for family with 6 year old boy.

Jos

• Advertisement

You're miles away from anywhere there. That's reflected in the asking prices for houses.

Yeah I know. Fantastic looking house though and friend in lucan says they know family with kids who like it there, but there's always a reason for the price difference isn't there?
    Not in St. Mary's Parish too.
    Actually probably a stupid question but what is the advantage of St. Mary's Parish.
    Is it really such a big deal apart from proximity to village?
    Is there a posh/class element?
    Our boy is already in a non-St. Mary's school

The schools that historically perform best in terms of academic results are in St. Marys. They're much more settled.
    If you're not too concerned about schools, then its not that much of a big deal but St. Mary's parish is generally a more settled area with bigger houses.

The schools that historically perform best in terms of academic results are in St. Marys. They're much more settled.
    If you're not too concerned about schools, then its not that much of a big deal but St. Mary's parish is generally a more settled area with bigger houses.

Definitely very interested in schools and giving son best academic opportunity.
    At moment he goes to educate together, we liked the ethos and have been impressed with teachers and approach. Although pupil teacher ratio is 30:1.
    Are you saying that primary schools in St. Mary's parish are better than Educate together? I assume you're talking about secondary schools as you mention best academic results.
    Also a friend, they live in St. Thomas parish said that they were considering sending their son to Colaiste Padraig in St. Mary's but he went to what they considered a better school in Leixlip.
    Thanks for your advice but just wondering is the academic results a non-issue in primary. More about instilling a good work ethic and ethos.
    I know I've digressed from original but buying a house is actually very relevant to the school perspective, so all advice is most welcome.
    Jos

Sorry yes I was referring to secondary schools when mentioning results.
    However, funnily enough Colaiste Cois Life is one of the best performing schools in the whole country and is just beside Esker Woods!
    To be honest, it doesn't sound like too much of a big deal for you guys if you're not too bothered living a bit away from the village.

Sorry yes I was referring to secondary schools when mentioning results.
    However, funnily enough Colaiste Cois Life is one of the best performing schools in the whole country and is just beside Esker Woods!
    To be honest, it doesn't sound like too much of a big deal for you guys if you're not too bothered living a bit away from the village.

Ballyowen/Esker are still a possibility. In terms of Colaiste Cois Life, what is the feeder national school and do you need to live in St. Mary's.
    The only concern we have about educate together and it is ironic, is that Irish students are very much in the minority.

• Advertisement

jos_kel wrote: »
    Ballyowen/Esker are still a possibility. In terms of Colaiste Cois Life, what is the feeder national school and do you need to live in St. Mary's.
    The only concern we have about educate together and it is ironic, is that Irish students are very much in the minority.

Colaiste Cois Life doesn't count as being in any parish though because it's a community school.
    Naomh Padraig and Eiscear Riada are the feeder schools for Cois Life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Naomh Padraig and Eiscear Riada are the feeder schools for Cois Life.

And Scoil Uí Dhalaigh in Leixlip. There's also a feeder school in Palmerstown, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Haydens park is lovely but in the wrong parish. The advantages of that area:

- Houses aren't as old so less work needed
    - You are sure of a place on the bus to town.
    - A cool big park beside you.
    - Lord Lucan is a 10 min walk cutting through finnstown. Super Valu and centra are close
    by
    - GAA team trains in the park beside it as does the soccer team
    - No social problems around there either.
    - Away from the n4 noise.

Have a look at Grange Manor, fine big houses, big living rooms etc. In the riight parish for Esker school.
    Looking at myhome, Grange Manor has nothing for sale, usually when something pops up its gone sale agreed in a few weeks.

When we were looking 7-8 years ago, we looked at Larkfield, Ballyowen, Willsbrooks, hermitgage and some in the village.

Didn't like Larkfield as they are all packed on top of each other with a council estate right behind it.
    We avoided Ballyowen because there was alot of social issues and the houses needed alot of work
    Willsbrook house was beside n4 and the noise would mean no peace in your back garden.
    Hermitage is nice, but now I be very concern about the Foxhunter there!!!
    Bewley looks nice, there was nothing available when we were looking.

Village is nice but a nightmare with traffic, houses are older so facter money in for work on the house.

Suppose the big thing is to look out for renters, i know a few had or have major problems with neighbours, from areas in Griffeen right down to Esker estates. So check that out with a few visits.

Didn't like Larkfield as they are all packed on top of each other with a council estate right behind it.
    We avoided Ballyowen because there was alot of social issues and the houses needed alot of work
    Willsbrook house was beside n4 and the noise would mean no peace in your back garden.
    Hermitage is nice, but now I be very concern about the Foxhunter there!!!
    Bewley looks nice, there was nothing available when we were looking.

Were there issues with Ballyowen back in 2007-2008?
    Bewley is very nice but, as you say, houses rarely come on the market and are invariably highly priced because they're bigger than a lot of other houses in the area.

Were there issues with Ballyowen back in 2007-2008?
    Bewley is very nice but, as you say, houses rarely come on the market and are invariably highly priced because they're bigger than a lot of other houses in the area.

Yeah, a few people got attacked in the park down there. A friend of ours lived there and said there was a few issues, not sure what it is like, friend moved to Oz!!

We waited and waited for Bewleys but no luck, nothing popped up!!!

Yeah, a few people got attacked in the park down there. A friend of ours lived there and said there was a few issues, not sure what it is like, friend moved to Oz!!

We waited and waited for Bewleys but no luck, nothing popped up!!!

Wow. Worrying to say the least.
    Was really getting serious about a house and ballyowen and drove around there a few days and spoke to locals. Got good vibes. I guess the acid test is to park up in the estate where you're buying and check it on a Saturday night.

To be fair, I haven't heard of any issues in Ballyowen or Willsbrook parks for years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Was really getting serious about a house and ballyowen and drove around there a few days and spoke to locals. Got good vibes. I guess the acid test is to park up in the estate where you're buying and check it on a Saturday night.

I must get the map out, which one is Ballyowen park?
    On a slightly funny note, isnt it terrible the way your last line brings :eek: to mind.

cerastes wrote: »
    I must get the map out, which one is Ballyowen park?
    On a slightly funny note, isnt it terrible the way your last line brings :eek: to mind.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we're talking about hermitage park where people got attacked. If I'm not mistaken Ballyowen Park is the other side of Fonthill retail park.
    Actually my last line is funny, could be misunderstood, the point is, if there is trouble it's most likely on a Saturday. Or at least it was when I was a sensible teenager ;-)

By the way, how does Bewley compare with Esker woods grove?

I thought people were referring to Hermitage Park. I was actually unaware Ballyowen Park was up by Fonthill!
    Hermitage Park had a little bit of trouble but nothing major and the Ballyowen estate is fine.

Earlsfort, Rochfort and Colthurst are not great.

EDIT: Bewley is a newer estate and typically the houses are much bigger. It's nice.

• Advertisement

This was five or six years ago. Just worth checking out and even drop into local garda station.

There was no problems in willsboro, sorry if I gave that impression..

Ballyowen is beside hermitgage, it's the one opposite larkfield.

Bewleys is nice but not sure if in correct parish.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we're talking about hermitage park where people got attacked. If I'm not mistaken Ballyowen Park is the other side of Fonthill retail park.
    Actually my last line is funny, could be misunderstood, the point is, if there is trouble it's most likely on a Saturday. Or at least it was when I was a sensible teenager ;-)

By the way, how does Bewley compare with Esker woods grove?

Im not sure, parks are always not a great place late at night, that said I heard something about kids maybe even adults getting attacked by groups of scum.
    Id always thought Hermitage was nicer, all of these areas are nicer than where I am though, someone did mention Ballyowne park, thats why I sadi Id have to get the map out, all I know of is Griffeen park, I think some of the parks join up somehow somewhere.

I also think its a good idea to scope out a place too at different times, Id even speak to the neighbours, especially the immediate neighbours to ask them what they think of the area but in part to suss them out too, why anyone doesnt do that is beyond me, after all these are people you could be living beside for years.
    I told my wife Id do that and she baulked at the idea, I still think its a very good idea, having lived beside some inconsiderate people, I consider it essential.

I thought people were referring to Hermitage Park. I was actually unaware Ballyowen Park was up by Fonthill!
    Hermitage Park had a little bit of trouble but nothing major and the Ballyowen estate is fine.

EDIT: Bewley is a newer estate and typically the houses are much bigger. It's nice.

Ok thanks. Looking at a very big house in Esker woods. Is Bewley nicer in general?

Willsbrook Park had one or two issues a few years ago but they stopped once they had the patrols in the evenings there. Nothing for over 5 years at this stage.

My rules of thumb would be:

1. Drive around in the evening - see if there are packs of kids hanging around
    2. Drive around at the weekend during the daytime - you'll see if there's activity in gaardens or on the path with people keeping the place clean
    3. Drive around during the middle of a weekday if possible - you'll gauge whether many people are working
    4. Talk to neighbours if at all possible

Ok thanks. Looking at a very big house in Esker woods. Is Bewley nicer in general?

Ha, I know the one you're referring to! Yep it's a lot bigger than typical houses in Esker. :D
    They're both nice estates. Bewley has quite a few detached houses.

Rochfort and Colthurst are considered bad?
    I really need to get the map out, Im not 100% where Rochfort is now and when people say Ballyowen, Id be looking for specifics (like park)

I always thought that the part of the estate that runs up to the back of Ballowen shops was kinda odd and rough looking the few times I went looking around to see what areas looked likje, but I dont frequent it and havent recently, this is where I thought the entrance to Ballyowen park was? looks ok at the periphery near the road, but further in.

I think Esker (woods?) looks nice, Bewley I recal has a good name as did Willsbrook/boro?
    I think Castle Riada seems ok? never hear anything bad myself, someone might be along to disprove me and I doubt I have my finger on the pulse around here.

That said, I dont recommend anyone to walk through a park late at night, but if you do stand moderately tall, (not obviously overdoing it) and keep your eyes open and watch people (not in a manic intent way, just enough to know whats going on around you).

Ha, I know the one you're referring to! Yep it's a lot bigger than typical houses in Esker. :D

Yep, you didn't have to be Sherlock. Especially for such an intrepid audience. LOL

Just out of curiosity and you appear to have a good knowledge of the lucan market.
    What would be a fair price or what would be your 'walk-away' bid on that house.
    Fine house but just want to make sure we don't overpay and that it holds its value.
    Our current house was 350k in Dec 2005. Now sale agreed for 310k

Just out of curiosity and you appear to have a good knowledge of the lucan market.
    What would be a fair price or what would be your 'walk-away' bid on that house.
    Fine house but just want to make sure we don't overpay and that it holds its value.
    Our current house was 350k in Dec 2005. Now sale agreed for 310k

I think it's a nice enough house but there's something about it that doesn't sit well with me. Maybe because it's 2000sq ft but just look like two typical three bed houses knocked together into one house. The rooms aren't exactly very big although the kitchen area looks quite nice. Personally I prefer 23 Ballyowen Avenue.
    What'll make a house hold its value is market demand but also, in the case of Lucan, its proximity to the N4. As far as I'm concerned, the further north you are in "New Lucan", the better it will hold its value, so long as you are west of the Outer Ring Road (bar Ballyowen and Larkfield).

I'm thinking of moving within the next year and have been doing quite a bit of analysis on houses and estate agents in Lucan.
    There are four main agents who do the bulk of transactions here: Jim Payne, DNG, REA McDonalds & Smith Curley.
    I always check Myhome.ie to look at how prices have changed, not necessarily the asking prices for properties. The property register is also critical because it'll tell you what homes are actually going for. Sometimes these are completely at odds with how some agents are valuing properties.
    DNG seem to pitch homes realistically to get people through the door. Jim Payne tend to overpitch (in my opinion) and a lot of their homes have had their price reduced, same with McDonalds and very much so in the case of Smith Curley.
    Lucan is interesting insofar as some 3-beds are fetching above 300k (based on their condition and proximity to the N4) while the ones further south are fetching low 200s. It's a real first-time-buyer catchment area and demand is very high. Apparently very few first-time-buyers in Lucan look to upgrade to larger homes in the area, mainly just Lucanites! As a result, the larger homes tend to sell much slower because demand isn't as high but, most importantly, the new banking rules are making it harder for people to stump up the deposit.

Regarding Esker - you'll probably get it for €417,000.

• Advertisement

I think it's a nice enough house but there's something about it that doesn't sit well with me. Maybe because it's 2000sq ft but just look like two typical three bed houses knocked together into one house. The rooms aren't exactly very big although the kitchen area looks quite nice. Personally I prefer 23 Ballyowen Avenue.
    What'll make a house hold its value is market demand but also, in the case of Lucan, its proximity to the N4. As far as I'm concerned, the further north you are in "New Lucan", the better it will hold its value, so long as you are west of the Outer Ring Road (bar Ballyowen and Larkfield).

I'm thinking of moving within the next year and have been doing quite a bit of analysis on houses and estate agents in Lucan.
    There are four main agents who do the bulk of transactions here: Jim Payne, DNG, REA McDonalds & Smith Curley.
    I always check Myhome.ie to look at how prices have changed, not necessarily the asking prices for properties. The property register is also critical because it'll tell you what homes are actually going for. Sometimes these are completely at odds with how some agents are valuing properties.
    DNG seem to pitch homes realistically to get people through the door. Jim Payne tend to overpitch (in my opinion) and a lot of their homes have had their price reduced, same with McDonalds and very much so in the case of Smith Curley.
    Lucan is interesting insofar as some 3-beds are fetching above 300k (based on their condition and proximity to the N4) while the ones further south are fetching low 200s. It's a real first-time-buyer catchment area and demand is very high. Apparently very few first-time-buyers in Lucan look to upgrade to larger homes in the area, mainly just Lucanites! As a result, the larger homes tend to sell much slower because demand isn't as high but, most importantly, the new banking rules are making it harder for people to stump up the deposit.

Regarding Esker - you'll probably get it for €417,000.

Estates with good rep will not have 3 bed for under 200,000. Just checked myhome to be double sure.

Estates like Hayden park, johndbridge, grange manor and finnstown would sell well.

Rossberry, old bridge and tullyhall would sell for less. Not sure why tullyhall sells for less, as the houses are better built than larkfield and ballyowen, maybe it's a bit far from bus stop.

Centre lucan on south side will go cheaper because of social issues.

Basically I would avoid most areas on 25a bus route and where 25b and 25a merge.

Advertisement