Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'A' Post Application form

• 25-11-2015 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I recently came across an 'A' post application form and it really knocked me speechless.You would swear that it was a Principal's job that was being filled with the amount of detail required!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It would be interesting to see one alright. But given that 10-page application forms for part time, fixed term contracts are becoming commonplace, I'm not surprised to hear that. It is a significant promotion in the context of available opportunities in teaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Exiled1

There is no better way of souring relationships in a school than the scramble for AP posts. Inevitably the appointment is accompanied by an appeal, usually of a quite spurious nature, but well supported by the respective unions (nothing form them about their member who deserves the job, but they will always support the moaner.)
    The eagerness with which people are now seeking AP posts seems admirable. It is a consequence of all those MEd and management courses. Better for teachers to be excellent practitioners and curriculum developers as preparation of senior management posts. After all anybody can read a few texts on leadership and motivation and waffle accordingly.
    It seems the school managements are attempting to protect themselves from litigation yet again. They are also trying to ensure the the successful applicant will actually do the job they promise. Unfortunately experience of PoRs is that a huge number of them are done badly or not at all. Unfortunate for the willing but unsuccessful candidate and the school Principal.
    Most posts could be done by a reasonably competent extra school secretary.
    A post should be educational or pastoral in nature, otherwise it is wasting potential talent and perhaps training. Organising lockers, tea rota (and wash-up) etc still exist in some schools, held by old retainers who refuse to change. Exam secretary (and, yes, it is almost purely clerical) and other clerical type jobs should not be part of a middle management role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

Exiled1 wrote: »
    There is no better way of souring relationships in a school than the scramble for AP posts. Inevitably the appointment is accompanied by an appeal, usually of a quite spurious nature, but well supported by the respective unions (nothing form them about their member who deserves the job, but they will always support the moaner.)
    The eagerness with which people are now seeking AP posts seems admirable. It is a consequence of all those MEd and management courses. Better for teachers to be excellent practitioners and curriculum developers as preparation of senior management posts. After all anybody can read a few texts on leadership and motivation and waffle accordingly.
    It seems the school managements are attempting to protect themselves from litigation yet again. They are also trying to ensure the the successful applicant will actually do the job they promise. Unfortunately experience of PoRs is that a huge number of them are done badly or not at all. Unfortunate for the willing but unsuccessful candidate and the school Principal.
    Most posts could be done by a reasonably competent extra school secretary.
    A post should be educational or pastoral in nature, otherwise it is wasting potential talent and perhaps training. Organising lockers, tea rota (and wash-up) etc still exist in some schools, held by old retainers who refuse to change. Exam secretary (and, yes, it is almost purely clerical) and other clerical type jobs should not be part of a middle management role.

Some valid points there although I wouldn't agree with everything you said. As regards exam secretary, that should have nothing to do a post holder in school as it's purely a job to make life easier for the sec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

doc_17 wrote: »
    Some valid points there although I wouldn't agree with everything you said. As regards exam secretary, that should have nothing to do a post holder in school as it's purely a job to make life easier for the sec

id disagree, exam sec. is chasing after students alot so it takes a bit of 'teacher voice' to address them,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I know in my school exam sec is a B post, the holder does all internal timetables, organising rooms, ordering pre papers, collecting money etc. He collects the money piece meal so loads of kids are paying 10 a week or whatever they can afford....that would be hell for the secretary who is already very busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

I'm not saying that the exam secretary doesn't do a lot of work. I'm saying that a lot of the work they do is for the SEC whilst other things the school need are left by the wayside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

solerina wrote: »
    I know in my school exam sec is a B post, the holder does all internal timetables, organising rooms, ordering pre papers, collecting money etc. He collects the money piece meal so loads of kids are paying 10 a week or whatever they can afford....that would be hell for the secretary who is already very busy.

Is the exam secretary not already very busy teaching? That is a horrendous amount of work on a b post. A b post is about €35 per week in hand which to my mind should equate to an hour a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

How much is an A post and B post per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Grueller wrote: »
    Is the exam secretary not already very busy teaching? That is a horrendous amount of work on a b post. A b post is about €35 per week in hand which to my mind should equate to an hour a week.
    Yes, he has a full 22 hour very academic timetable, he always seems very busy.

Advertisement