Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Exploration Sale

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Manach wrote: »
    Quick query: as it is mentioned that network multiplayer is no longer available would the game be ok for a single player mode?

It plays fine for me on Windows 10 anyways. I didn't love it, but that said, I didn't give it more than an hour or two. I may go back to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

chrislad wrote: »
    It plays fine for me on Windows 10 anyways. I didn't love it, but that said, I didn't give it more than an hour or two. I may go back to it.

Good stuff. To answer your question Manach, I had no idea. I don't buy games for the multi-player aspect..... I just enjoy the single player campaigns.

So I guess a wise thing for me would be to ensure that new purchases have a single player mode. Doesn't the new Star Wars game lack a single player campaign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

strelok wrote: »
    shooting white people is so last century

I miss being a nazi stormtrooper :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Good stuff. To answer your question Manach, I had no idea. I don't buy games for the multi-player aspect..... I just enjoy the single player campaigns.

So I guess a wise thing for me would be to ensure that new purchases have a single player mode. Doesn't the new Star Wars game lack a single player campaign?

Yes, and no. It has a single player component, but it doesn't have a story mode. It's basically multiplayer with bots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was looking last night and Grim Fandango will have to be bought at less than €4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Bot

PC port is excellent, totally worth it.

I also highly recommend notGTAV

Is it worth getting GTA5 for laptop (with wireless mouse)? Debating whether to get second hand Xbox version or via steam. With only one tv in the house it's hard to get a serious block of Xbox time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's also a substantial GMG sale (early access here when you log in. GTAV is cheaper along with some other games.
    GMG price increase lols :P
    369806.PNG
    Manach wrote: »
    Quick query: as it is mentioned that network multiplayer is no longer available would the game be ok for a single player mode?
    Only because GameSpy went away, but there are other GameSpy alternatives. I think Gameranger is one, whereby you select LAN, and access multiplayer that way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Tempted to grab Scandanavia DLC for ETS2 and XCOM Enemy Within although ive yet to get stuck into Enemy Unknown .

Dcully wrote: »
    Tempted to grab Scandanavia DLC for ETS2 and XCOM Enemy Within although ive yet to get stuck into Enemy Unknown .

Skip Enemy Unknown and go straight to Enemy Within. Its the same game with added extras. Its the game the original should have been.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The original as it is is fantastic already :P

The original as it is is fantastic already :P

There is a touch of monotony and lack of variety to the missions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

Will there be a steam Christmas/Winter sale this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Mario95 wrote: »
    Will there be a steam Christmas/Winter sale this year?

Yep. Not sure when it will start but likely the 18th or 21st of December I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Cravez wrote: »
    Yep. Not sure when it will start but likely the 18th or 21st of December I would say.
    December 22nd - January 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

Will the next one will be better? Is there a point buying games now?

• Advertisement

Mario95 wrote: »
    Will the next one will be better? Is there a point buying games now?
    As with any steam sale, if you don't want to play the game right now, don't bother. The games will always be on steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So, how is everyone finding the sale so far?

I've only bought one thing, Minerva's Den DLC for Bioshock 2. Buuuuut.... And this is a big but! Girlfriend did buy me The Witcher 3 for Christmas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

The Witcher 3 bought! I think I'll wait til the winter sale for everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Assassins Creed: Black Flag - €4.99. If you done have it its defo a bargin.
    Great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Glebee wrote: »
    Assassins Creed: Black Flag - €4.99. If you done have it its defo a bargin.
    Great game.

Just got it, happy days, now just have to finish the 3rd one first, which I'm not enjoying all that much but won't let myself move onto the next game without completing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

1huge1 wrote: »
    Just got it, happy days, now just have to finish the 3rd one first, which I'm not enjoying all that much but won't let myself move onto the next game without completing it.

3rd is an absolute chore to play and put me off the series, heard good things about black flag but the OCD in me will not let me play it until 3 is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

dreamers75 wrote: »
    3rd is an absolute chore to play and put me off the series, heard good things about black flag but the OCD in me will not let me play it until 3 is done.

My thoughts exactly, just going to get through the main story in 3 and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Reminder to check isthereanydeal.com if you see a game on sale that you want. There's competitor's listing prices even better than steam's deepest discounts. I found Fallout:NV cheaper on this site. Half the price steam's listing. Probably gonna pick that up tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Got Wolfenstein:NO. Will likely get GTA5 and as above Asscreed Black Flag.

Links234 wrote: »
    If you like Resident Evil, then I give a big thumbs up to The Evil Within, which is currently going for 85% off. ;)

And now even cheaper at Humble Store @ 7.49 so may go for that version.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If you own Dark Souls 2, you can upgrade to Scholar of the First sin for €2.49. That's a fantastic price, which i just got.

Also got Black Flag and Witcher 3 HoS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Bought AC Black Flag there, haven't enjoyed an AC game in ages, heard this one is great.

Kiith wrote: »
    If you own Dark Souls 2, you can upgrade to Scholar of the First sin for €2.49. That's a fantastic price, which i just got.

Very tempting. But I'm not going to support publishers getting comfy for simply un-f*cking their game from last-gen priority or paying for direct-x updates. Despite all the bells and whistles it has, that's what I'd be funding.

Got Alpha Protocol. Been wanting to have this game in my library for a long time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Dcully wrote: »
    Bought AC Black Flag there, haven't enjoyed an AC game in ages, heard this one is great.

Its great despite the assassin stuff which is the worst part of the game. The sailing and pirate stuff is brilliant though. They should just drop the assassin stuff and make another pirate game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

For anyone who hasn't had a bash yet and likes RTS, Homeworld 1+2 Remastered is £10 (or your regional equivalent).

Welllllllllll worth it for possibly the greatest RTS ever made.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    For anyone who hasn't had a bash yet and likes RTS, Homeworld 1+2 Remastered is £10 (or your regional equivalent).

Welllllllllll worth it for possibly the greatest RTS ever made.

Had it in my cart, checked the reviews... Apparently it changed non-graphical stuff and vets of the game say it's changed at its core because of this. Not sure now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Had it in my cart, checked the reviews... Apparently it changed non-graphical stuff and vets of the game say it's changed at its core because of this. Not sure now.

You get the classic versions of the game as well. You can get the exact same experience as the original. Personally, I think the changes are for the better on balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭chili_fecker

Is Arma 3 worth a punt?

Gbear wrote: »
    You get the classic versions of the game as well. You can get the exact same experience as the original. Personally, I think the changes are for the better on balance.

Ah thanks for the info. Think I'll go ahead and pull the trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is Arma 3 worth a punt?

yup be prepared for the most evil combat sim ever tho.

You know, as much as I miss the daily and flash sales, and it's not as exciting now without them, it's quite good in that I don't feel under pressure to buy anything. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I got grey goo, havent played a rts in a long time so hopefully it's decent !

Oh, this wasn't on the Steam sale, but I did make a nice little purchase this evening, I got Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death for me and herself because GamesRepublic had a flash sale on it, €0.74 :eek: I'd meant to pick it up when it got a discount, but alas none was had on Steam, but damn it's not to be sniffed at at that price!

Girlfriend seems to be absolutely loving it, she's been playing it for the last couple of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Picked up Victor Vran. Have wanted it for a while. Not really grabbed by much though this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I didn't get anything this sale and wait for the Christmas sale, there's not much time until the next one anyway and as sad as it sounds would rather get those Christmas sale Steam cards when I buy stuff :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Cravez wrote: »
    I didn't get anything this sale and wait for the Christmas sale, there's not much time until the next one anyway and as sad as it sounds would rather get those Christmas sale Steam cards when I buy stuff :P
    Same here. I won't have time to play anything I buy between now and then anyway so I may as well wait.

Decided to buy Life Is Strange. Managed to hold out till today on splashing out on anything but figured i'll play this before the Christmas sale so why not.

Links234 wrote: »
    Oh, this wasn't on the Steam sale, but I did make a nice little purchase this evening, I got Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death for me and herself because GamesRepublic had a flash sale on it, €0.74 :eek: I'd meant to pick it up when it got a discount, but alas none was had on Steam, but damn it's not to be sniffed at at that price!

Girlfriend seems to be absolutely loving it, she's been playing it for the last couple of hours.

Got that last year I think and sat and played it from beginning to end at the time. For only 99c, it was well worth it. 1 glitch which annoyed me as it kept making me have to replay a small section over again. Got past it eventually. Very enjoyable game

I found Marlow Briggs was oddly well polished for such a game but remarkably uninspired. It was basically a god of war reskin.

Was cool to see ragdoll physics in a hack and slash, though. Hope to see more of that in future games. Perhaps DMC5 if it doesn't suck as much donkey balls as DmC.

I only bought 2 games this steam sale and only one actually from steam. Both were Obsidian games I realised to my surprise when checking the Alpha Protocol wiki article. The other was Fallout NV. Overall think I did well not spending for the sake of sales... got stuff I actually wanted.

Life is Strange is one I'd been planning to get for a while, but it can wait. Doubt I'll play it between now and the Christmas sale, so no point in buying it.

Robert, I seriously enjoyed DmC, but I never played any of the other DMC games so that was probably why. I had also been eyeballing Alpha Protocol for a while, but I'm just not gonna get around to playing it, so again leaving it. There's quite a few things I'd like to snag, like Gunpoint and Door Kickers, but they too can wait.

Shame Undertale didn't get a discount, I'd pick that one up in a heartbeat once it reaches under a fiver.

• Advertisement

Alpha Protocol surprised me. Enjoyed it quite a bit despite the poor combat. Its the interactions with other characters, intel thats actually useful and pre-mission options like paying to have weapons stashed somewhere on the level that are its strong points. Wouldnt mind a sequel.

Gunpoint is short but quite a fun game too. Worth it at its current price.

The things about Marlow Briggs that I felt made it seem less polished than AAA games wasn't anything that made me enjoy it any less. Character models, etc seemed very shiny as you sometimes see with HD characters and the transition to and from cutscenes seemed very jarring.

One thing that sold me on Marlow Briggs was it has James Hong, freakin' Lo Pan himself, as the villain! Can't ignore that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I refunded grey goo didnt grab me at all, got Renowned Explorers its amazinggg i love it. looks lovely a kind of party based ftl like encounters and its kinda hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I refunded grey goo didnt grab me at all, got Renowned Explorers its amazinggg i love it. looks lovely a kind of party based ftl like encounters and its kinda hard.

I really want that game but am trying to resist until Christmas. :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement