Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Exploration Sale

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Links234 wrote: »
    One thing that sold me on Marlow Briggs was it has James Hong, freakin' Lo Pan himself, as the villain! Can't ignore that.

Slightly off topic, but if you're not watching the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series, I'd advise it, if only for season 2, episode 23 titled "A Chinatown Ghost Story" where James Hong plays a very familiar character by the name of Ho Chan. Also it's just a really great series. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I am not in fact watching the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series, but you've got me intrigued.

Also, if you've not seen it, this is just amazing.

And back on topic a mo, anyone considering snagging something before the sale ends? The Swapper or Skullgirls are slightly tempting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Sale ends 18:00. Probably have another little goo around but pretty sure I have enough games as it is to keep me occupied.

Already played The Swapper from family share. It's a decent puzzler with strong emphasis on atmosphere but not for everyone - love or hate situation from what I've heard so far. Ironically I'm kinda in the middle with it. Never finished.

Skullgirls is a decent 2D fighting game if you like sexy things and pure style. Gameplay is definitely not for everyone as well... extremely combo heavy. It's Resets: The Game. I never got too good at it but I am glad I own it. Managed to get all but one of the DLC characters for free when they first came out. The colour pallet costume DLC is the best I've ever seen in any game. Got it as a bundle. So many references to characters of other games, shows, anime and even hentai. I don't really like 2D fighters except for Mortal Kombat and this. Linux ver is awesome I was just disappointed that they favoured Sony in the end with priority release of voiced story mode to them and now a delay for PC because they're busy trying to make their new IP become a thing. They also updated the game later to remove a few frames of panty shots.

I think it holds world record of amount of frames used for a 2D fighter in this style. It shows, too. Very visually appealing, colourful and imaginative. Oh well, didn't mean to get into a little mini-review there about it. Just checked the store and it's 80% off as is all the DLC. Not a bad deal.

Since I still suck at it when I don't play my 2 mains hit me up on steam if anyone picks it up and wants to tussle. I've only ever played it with friends so far - randoms just combo me to infinity.

So, I snagged a 2-pack of Skullgirls for myself & herself, what sold me on it was the local multiplayer, an oldschool beat'em up is just something I gotta play with someone else in the room. Thankfully Robert, I wasn't put off by mention of 'sexy things', 'hentai' and 'panty shots', you creep. :pac:

I left The Swapper because I do have The Talos Principle ready to play at some stage, so that fills my puzzley niche, but I didn't have any oldschool beat'em ups.

Thankfully Robert, I wasn't put off by mention of 'sexy things', 'hentai' and 'panty shots', you creep. :pac:

I left The Swapper because I do have The Talos Principle ready to play at some stage, so that fills my puzzley niche, but I didn't have any oldschool beat'em ups.
    So, I snagged a 2-pack of Skullgirls for myself & herself, what sold me on it was the local multiplayer, an oldschool beat'em up is just something I gotta play with someone else in the room.

I'm curious. Why did you buy two copies if you're going to be playing it locally for multiplayer?

Thankfully Robert, I wasn't put off by mention of 'sexy things', 'hentai' and 'panty shots', you creep. :pac:

That's because you're an adult :D I'd be worried about ya if the mere mention of such things made you uncomfortable. Have fun with the sexy fighting.

g6S7VEA.gif

I'm curious. Why did you buy two copies if you're going to be playing it locally for multiplayer?

Because I like buying presents for herself, and she can play on her own if she wants.
    That's because you're an adult :D I'd be worried about ya if the mere mention of such things made you uncomfortable. Have fun with the sexy fighting.

I think it's precisely because I'm an adult that I find that kind of thing offputting. I don't want to sound prudish, because I'm really anything but, it's just that things like 'fanservice' and panty shots are juvenile titilation, it's teenage voyeurism and it's offputting because it often tries to sneak something sexual into non-sexual situations. It's a serious pet hate of mine when watching anime, because it feels to me like a type of fourth-wall breaking, it's something that is inserted without context to please a certain subset of fans, it's like the anime stops to wink at a portion of it's audience, and in doing so can completely break my immersion. So I'll tend to search out specifically for anime without fanservice. Nudity and sex I've no problem with, but honestly Robert, I'm a 30 year old woman, nothing makes me feel like less of a part of something's audience than "tee hee, you can see her panties!"

You know, I was astonished playing Wolfenstein: The New Order, I was very surprised that the game featured actual, proper sex scenes, where Blazkowicz and Anya get closer and fall in love and eventually become intimate, that it was a part of the storyline, it was character building. I mean, it felt amazing that it treated it's audience like adults, it really made me feel like games were growing up. In comparison, it's downright laughable and cringeworthy how The Witcher handles sex, you can run around ****ing anything with a pair of tits in that game, but it doesn't show Geralt and his latest fling actually having sex, you get a brief glimpse of a tussle in the bedsheets obscured by a sort of pin-up art card of your lay (Which, I wonder does Geralt leave the lady with a print of himself in a sexy pose?), it's embarrassingly bad.

So yeah, sorry for the longwinded spiel, but I do find fanservice and pantyshots offputting, I'm sure you can understand why.

I'll respond in PM so I don't clutter up and revive a dead thread :D

Advertisement