Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Laws regarding driving a motorcycle ???

• 25-11-2015 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi , I'm hoping somebody can help . Iv just got my learner permit for a motorcycle and am currently thinking about buying a 49cc motorcycle to get me into the city centre and back . My question is can I legally ride a 49cc scooter on a learner permit without doing the 4 day ibt course . I have a full car license for 8 years and am 25 years of age . Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Brasso

No, learner permit doesn't allow you on the road without IBT first. Older car licences from (I think) before November 2006 allow you to ride a scooter but I doubt you have that, you can look for category M or AM on your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sf191

Ok that's great thanks but and I say this without being awkward , How do I take my bike to an ibt course . Do I have to walk it there or get somebody else to transport it to take part in the course .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Sf191 wrote: »
    Ok that's great thanks but and I say this without being awkward , How do I take my bike to an ibt course . Do I have to walk it there or get somebody else to transport it to take part in the course .

The course provide the bike. If you really want to use a bike you own, it has to arrive in a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Brasso

Yeah unfortunately as you're not allowed on the road without IBT you'll need someone else to ride your bike there or get a transporter. However I think almost all IBT instructors will have school bikes, I checked on the Aaron rider training website for example and it is only €25 more to use their bikes, so probably not worth the inconvenience of using your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sf191

That's great brasso . Your help is much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Your bike could be picked up at your place.
    Just have tax and insurance on it

Advertisement