Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you cook your turkey

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Has anybody ever boned and rolled their own turkey?

I'm getting one from a farm this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

Has anybody ever boned and rolled their own turkey?

I'm getting one from a farm this year.

The last couple of years I bone my turkey, then fill it with ham (uncooked but flattened out), then put stuffing inside that and sew it up. It's a bit of work, but there is no post xmas mess and its very easy to carve.

Watch your fingers and hands when boning the turkey btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

I brine the turkey the day before and then pat off.

I snip off the wing tips and put some halved oranges inside it. I then put loads of butter under the skin.

Then I wrap the turkey (not the bottom) with tin foil.

Here I then put it on the BBQ with indirect heat, with a drip tray underneath, topping up the coals and wood every hour. Taking the foil off for the last hour.

In Ireland I just last it in the oven.

When i think it needs about 20 mins more I whip it out. Throw tinfoil and cloth over it and leave it sit for about 30 mins.

Always moist and tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Those of you who brine the turkey-where do you leave it while brining? My fridge definitely isn't big enough to accommodate a big bucket of turkey and I've a colony of feral cats living in the scrub behind my garden so not brave enough to leave it outside as nigella suggests. Our house would be way too warm to just leave it sitting out. Would it be ridiculous to consider housing it overnight in the boot of my car? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

I brine it in a bin we bought specially for it. In Ireland it stays in the shed and here it goes into a pantry under the stairs that is baltic and has its own AC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Those of you who brine the turkey-where do you leave it while brining? My fridge definitely isn't big enough to accommodate a big bucket of turkey and I've a colony of feral cats living in the scrub behind my garden so not brave enough to leave it outside as nigella suggests. Our house would be way too warm to just leave it sitting out. Would it be ridiculous to consider housing it overnight in the boot of my car? :pac:
    We just use a portable cooler box, few litres of brined water and a bag of ice cubes on top. Fits perfect and stays refrigerated

• Registered Users Posts: 42 duckduck1991

I just stick mine in the microwave

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tesco have put up a video of buttermilk turkey recipe.

https://www.facebook.com/TescoIreland/videos/929243123828325/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've been using Nigella's recipe for brined turkey since her Christmas book came out and I'd cook turkey throughout the year too and it's never been dry. Brined turkey also cooks a lot quicker than non brined turkey.

I put the turkey in a cool box with some bagged ice blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

The last three years I used this method. The turkey is done in less than an hour with no hassle and the kids will actually eat it as it is crispy and brown and not all dried out from too long in the oven. I do the stuffing on the side and there is way less stress on Christmas day as you have more time for the rest of the dinner. The best part is it is easier to coordinate the timing of potatoes, veg, etc, so everything is ready at the same time.

• Advertisement

corazon wrote: »
    The last three years I used this method. The turkey is done in less than an hour with no hassle and the kids will actually eat it as it is crispy and brown and not all dried out from too long in the oven. I do the stuffing on the side and there is way less stress on Christmas day as you have more time for the rest of the dinner. The best part is it is easier to coordinate the timing of potatoes, veg, etc, so everything is ready at the same time.

That is amazing I'm very tempted to give it a go but I'd be bricking it in case I made a balls of it :o Do you use a digital thermometer? I only have a regular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

I don't bother with a thermometer. Cooking it this way is as easy as cooking a chicken. The only hard part is cutting out the backbone. You will need a good heavy knife preferably with a serrated edge. You may need a second person to hold the turkey while you cut. It is a bit intimidating the first time but five to ten minutes work will have it ready. There are plenty of videos on the web to help you. Try this one.

I don't mind the boning part, I've done that a few times before, but I would be worried about the cooking times etc. I'm definitely going to have a look at a few videos though to see can I ease my worries. It'd be so much handier to not be stuck to the oven for 4 hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My mum cooks it on breast side down for a while and then turns it back the other way and puts streaky rashers on top, she stuffs the cavity with bread stuffing and the neck with potato stuffing.....sooooo good and soooo moist! I'm starving just thinking about it....gravy is made from the juices and bisto then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

stick it in a tin foil lined tray. rub butter all over - the turkey:)
    let it cook away while i go for long christmas walk with family. baste when i'm back. voila, one perfect turkey.
    have been doing it this way for 30+ years. moist...mmm

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

stick it in a tin foil lined tray. rub butter all over - the turkey:)
    let it cook away while i go for long christmas walk with family. baste when i'm back. voila, one perfect turkey.
    have been doing it this way for 30+ years. moist...mmm

There's something I don't trust about this. Maybe it's your username...

Am I right in thinking that there's no point doing the brining etc if I'm going to spatchcock the turkey?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Has anyone ever deep fried it like this:

I'd be curious to try it, but if you look on youtube, there's a whole pile of 'fail' videos where people have basically set fire to the house while frying it!

That being said, someday I want to try this:

I'm sure I could have the fire services on standby :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Reading through this thread makes me realise why no one ever boasts about 'having eaten this wonderful breast of turkey at a top class restaurant. Even moist it's not the best. I've basted it, stuffed it, bought self basting and I've given up. No more turkey for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I've tried it everyday over the years, my mothers way, my own way, nigellas way, Jamies, Gordon's, but this way had been the absolute best and easiest, and I've never had a dry turkey since!! ;) lol

Follow the instructions to the letter, seal it well , boil for 5mins on the hob, and you won't go wrong. All the timings for different sized turkeys and crowns are included.
    He was on This Morning today, he does it every year, so it might be on the UTV player. Or YouTube.

http://www.vickery.tv/phil-vickerys-recipes/christmas/item/phil-s-perfect-roast-turkey

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I seen him on it today! :)
    That is how I cook mine; covered with two layers of foil and steaming. Then uncover to get nice and brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

This thread is making me hungry and wishing that it was Christmas day so I could have Turkey with home made cranberry sauce

Advertisement