Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 3770

Options
  • 25-11-2015 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

So,
    I am looking at building a gaming pc.
    I can pick up an i7 3770 for €30 or €40 from a mate,would it be worth it?
    Did not purchase a motherboard or graphics card yet.
    Planning to get a fairly current graphics card.
    Ideally would like to play latest games on high settings and would like a rift in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

magentis wrote: »
    So,
    I am looking at building a gaming pc.
    I can pick up an i7 3770 for €30 or €40 from a mate,would it be worth it?
    Did not purchase a motherboard or graphics card yet.
    Planning to get a fairly current graphics card.
    Ideally would like to play latest games on high settings and would like a rift in the future.

That's a steal! :D

If you don't want it please can I?
    It would greatly upgrade my i3 3220 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

He owes me a favor!
    I'm just concerned as its a socket 1155,most of the new processors look to be 1150.Will i still be able to use it with a current board/graphics card?

I suppose im thinking of building the machine around it and wondering if its a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Great price for the chip, a board for it mightn't be cheap though, I'd look into that before committing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

He owes me a favor!
    I'm just concerned as its a socket 1155,most of the new processors look to be 1150.Will i still be able to use it with a current board/graphics card?

I suppose im thinking of building the machine around it and wondering if its a good idea!

Keep a look out on adverts. Most places only have a few boards left in stock for socket 1155, and some of their pricing is outrageous for z77 boards!

Skinflint is showing micro atx H61 boards from about 30 quid (not including delivery, so a cheap powerful build is definately on the cards so long as you dont need anything fancy on the motherboard

http://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=mbp4_1155

He owes me a favor!

New boards for 1155 are extremely scarce and any with decent specs are outrageous prices.

None of the current motherboards will take that CPU as far as I am aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

New boards for 1155 are extremely scarce and any with decent specs are outrageous prices.

None of the current motherboards will take that CPU as far as I am aware.

I'm actually in a similar position to the OP, I have an i5 3470 which is 1155 and its very hard to find boards with that socket, I've only really been able to find h61 chipset boards. Any idea why it's so difficult to find these boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Any idea why it's so difficult to find these boards?

Because they're not made any more and most who have one are likely still using that generation's CPUs
    Supply goes down->small demand still exists->price goes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

An i7-3770 is worth about €200+. Getting one for €30 if a no-brainer, even if the board costs €100 - which it won't. Amazon and Dabs still sell socket 1155 motherboards, they start at about €50 for basic H61 models - which are fine for no frills build.

An i7-3770 is still a brilliant gaming processor and will be for years, it's faster than current generation i5's broadly speaking.

You'd be mad to pass up the offer to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If your friend is willing to sell you an i7-3770 for 30 quid then he needs his head seeing to! That processor is still far better than most of the current generation processors. Got one in my own PC and its awesome :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I wish I had friends like yours :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The OP said his friend owes him a favour,maybe he owes him €300 so it might not be a great deal:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Still mulling it over.
    I done a bit of research and its an i7 3770s which means its got a clock speed of 3.1ghz as opposed to 3.4ghz but boosts the same to 3.9ghz,its a lower power consumption version.
    And looking at the motherboards i can see peoples point about availability and price.
    The only ones that are reasonable are m-atx ones,and that opens another can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Most ATX cases will accommodate an mATX board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Most ATX cases will accommodate an mATX board

All ATX cases will take an mAtx board. You'd be absolutely mad to pass up on a €30 3770. What's wrong with an mAtx board, unless you have a few expansion cards that are essential?

Even if you had to go ATX for that reason, it would still be €100 on board, and €30 on CPU.

For comparable performance with 4th gen, you would have to spend at least €250 on board and CPU.

Still a no brainer in my opinion. The 'S' model is not really of any relevance. Look at any benchmarks; the bottleneck even with a €1000 Titan X would still be the Titan X.

The 'S' is slightly slower than the other .... but not at all significant, and is more energy efficient (16%).

I would have a preference for the 'S' model.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/522/Intel_Core_i7_i7-3770_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-3770S.html

If you intend to use VMs the 'S' is the better choice.

Advertisement