Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Useless man" criticism from women

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Funny, just after posting I was watching some telly with my young son and Peppa Pig was on - jesus the way Daddy Pig is portrayed !!

Useless, clumsy, stupid .. "silly daddy" .. he is always the butt of the joke and portrayed as a bumbling moron.

What message is that sending out to young kids ?

And again, I think it's just the lazy option for the creators, they don't want to get into trouble with the PC crowd if they
    slag off any other member - the representative adult male is the cheap & easy target.

I watched it recently and was horrified to see how bad it was. I had to buy one of the books and it took me a while to find one which didn't talk about daddy being stupid. Thankfully other women my age are also much more conscious of how harmful this kind of stereotyping is to their kids and their husbands than previous generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

. Peppa is horrendous as a woman mum of two boys, my best mate is a guy it drives me nuts. I tend to have more male mates and I do be shocked at comments their so called partners make, sad I want my mates and sons to be respected and respectful. I hope any of you being disrespected know there is women out there who wouldn't speak like this to their mates or partner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Tigger99 wrote: »
    I watched it recently and was horrified to see how bad it was. I had to buy one of the books and it took me a while to find one which didn't talk about daddy being stupid. Thankfully other women my age are also much more conscious of how harmful this kind of stereotyping is to their kids and their husbands than previous generations.

Yep, in fact it was my wife who brought it up for me ... kids mainly watch Octonauts now - thats a great show !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Wizard! wrote: »
    I don't know if it's silly or sad for a woman, trying to change a man, who originally fall in love with...

I suppose they didn't love him then, just settled for him and decided they'd "improve" him along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭grumpynerd

men are utilities. for women, for society. we are 'my husband the doctor', dear husband the contractor.

her money is her money and your money is her money.

can you keep up with her 'feelings'? are you both distant and in control, and also catering to all her dimly understood whims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

goose2005 wrote: »
    I suppose they didn't love him then, just settled for him and decided they'd "improve" him along the way

I think it is actually hardwired into some women to try and change their man. A friend of mine let slip some of the things "I'll have to change about him" while speaking about her bf. She would have been 32 at the time which isn't old and never came across as a controlling, domineering type. I don't think she even realises that she's doing/saying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Not exactly the same thing but I feel it's related.

When someone (anyone) asks me to do something as a favour, etc. and they then complain about how I do it, I'll simply turn around and tell them to do it themselves. If they say they can't, for whatever reason, I point out that they clearly don't think I can either and maybe someone else would be better suited.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Tigger99 wrote:
    I watched it recently and was horrified to see how bad it was. I had to buy one of the books and it took me a while to find one which didn't talk about daddy being stupid.

Luckily, he's an excellent swimmer.

Advertisement