Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hours problem

Options
  • 25-11-2015 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

ok so i work at a job for the last 8 years and have a general 4 hour contract but get more that usually. but i am a bit annoyed that i only got 9 hours for the next week and im avaialble all the time to work while others got over 20 hours and they have time booked off, are in college etc. i think the manager has something agaisnt me. im there the longest and people who only started working 1 week with us got more hours.

this has caused my confidence to drop as i dont think its fair on me to be treated like this by management.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What's your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What did the manager say when you asked him/her about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

"Hours" contracts are just wrong. Where are the unions?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

manager wont listen just using excuses. its personally not fair for myself doing the job 8 years and knw everything to do and then someone new comes along and gets the hours while i suffer. why cant the older staff get good hours if there available full time. my confidence is ruined, feel like they dont care about me.

we had an manager down last xmas and he tried to get me to leave giving me 8 hours on the busiest week of the year while everyone else got 30+ hours.i feel useless, worthless. I cant find another job, cant afford college.

Eight years and you're still part-time.

Have you no union?

If you leave because your hours are cut to a point where you can't support yourself and your family after eight years in the job, would you have a case for constructive dismissal?

Ask your union; I'd personally suggest (this is only my amateur and uninformed advice), if you don't have a union, a) find one and join it; b) go and talk to your local Citizens' Advice, who may have more knowledge of your rights than you or I would, and might offer you advice and help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

0 wrote: »
    my confidence is ruined, feel like they dont care about me.

The fact is - they don't care about you.

You're just a worker to them, and it should be just a job to you. If you let your confidence and self-esteem be determined by your job, then you are leaving yourself wide open to be hurt by nasty colleagues or managers - or factors totally outside your control (eg the lease is up so the decide to close the shop).

Find yourself a hobby or some volunteer work that you enjoy, and base your self-esteem on that.

Also, it's likely that the older staff are on a higher hourly rate, while the newer ones are younger so are on lower rates, possibly even youth rates. So they are cheaper to employ, that's why they get more hours. Simple business.

What is stopping you from finding another job? I know they don't grow on trees, but have you been trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Possibly your rate of pay is higher than other staff since you have been there so long. So it's cheaper for the company to give the hours to other staff.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭djan

I'd say one of the major factors is the new people being on lower pay.

Having said that I have also been on a 0 hour contract which is similar to your situation and I'd get various hours. You signed the contract being fully aware that you might only get the minimum hours. The company is not doing anything wrong, it might also be that they don't want/need you. Don't take it personally but if after 8 years at a place and you're not progressing try something else if possible.

The only thing here to do is talk to the manager properly and ask why this is happening and if there is anything you or they can do as you are dependant on the income.

djan wrote: »
    Having said that I have also been on a 0 hour contract which is similar to your situation and I'd get various hours. You signed the contract being fully aware that you might only get the minimum hours. The company is not doing anything wrong illegal

Edit

The fact is - they don't care about you.

You're just a worker to them, and it should be just a job to you. If you let your confidence and self-esteem be determined by your job, then you are leaving yourself wide open to be hurt by nasty colleagues or managers - or factors totally outside your control (eg the lease is up so the decide to close the shop).

Find yourself a hobby or some volunteer work that you enjoy, and base your self-esteem on that.

Also, it's likely that the older staff are on a higher hourly rate, while the newer ones are younger so are on lower rates, possibly even youth rates. So they are cheaper to employ, that's why they get more hours. Simple business.

What is stopping you from finding another job? I know they don't grow on trees, but have you been trying?

everyone is on 8.80 per hour no matter what age they are. what would make life a lot easier if they had set hour contracts eg 20 hour contract. everyone gets the same amount of hours no tension between workers.

• Advertisement

the confidence things has to do with being there for 8 years, doing extra shifts for them when there stuck, helping them out and then they just throw me aside for a new guys. everyone is on the same wage 8.80 an hr. its not good for my head to be looking at the roster every week and seeing my hours so low while others are higher.

loyalty needs to be addressed in the company

Advertisement