Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC / Virgin Media Cancellation Fee

• 25-11-2015 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all

I'm moving house and I was hoping to keep my account with UPC. But they're not available in that area and they now they want me to pay a fee for breaking contract.

I've been with them for a few years and they say I entered a new contract a few months back, but I don't remember any contact from them about a new contract (though there may have been an email or letter that I didn't pay much attention to) and I certainly didn't sign anything.

Can anybody tell me if I'm obliged to pay this fee? Can they come after me legally if I don't?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

paulme wrote: »

Can anybody tell me if I'm obliged to pay this fee? Can they come after me legally if I don't?

You are, and they can and will, if they can find you!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 paulme

Well, that's a bummer.

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

paulme wrote: »
    Hi all

I've been with them for a few years and they say I entered a new contract a few months back, but I don't remember any contact from them about a new contract (though there may have been an email or letter that I didn't pay much attention to) and I certainly didn't sign anything.

It depends, did you add services or upgrade speed in the last 12 months? If you did you may have entered a new contract but otherwise you possibly haven't. Ask them on what basis you are in contract and if in doubt have them provide evidence you consented (even if on the phone you can ask for a copy of the call under data protection legislation).

Even if out of contract you may have to give 30 days notice but shouldn't have to pay the €200 break fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 paulme

I'm fairly certain I didn't give any consent. I will make sure to ask them for proof that I did.

I'd hoped to have it sorted by now, but I just hung up after spending 20 minutes on hold. I really don't enjoy their customer service. I'l give it another go later when my patience comes back.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Get proof that you entered into a new contract, did they ring you recently offering you a cheaper rate? Because if you accepted you probably have a new contract now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement