Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDF Discharge

• 25-11-2015 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello Lads,

I joined the RDF this year and attended for about three months before missing a load of training and giving up on it so I haven't attended since June. Now however, I need discharge papers to continue my application for Sandhurst. Does anyone know how I can get these? Will I be given them automatically after a certain period of time or is there someone I have to ask?

Cheers!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

BEP! wrote: »
    Hello Lads,

I joined the RDF this year and attended for about three months before missing a load of training and giving up on it so I haven't attended since June. Now however, I need discharge papers to continue my application for Sandhurst. Does anyone know how I can get these? Will I be given them automatically after a certain period of time or is there someone I have to ask?

Cheers!

Do you have some letter of offer conditional on being discharged from any current enlistment?

Either way you should write to your unit commander requesting to be discharged. Phone your company office and ask who you should address the letter to and ask them if there is a particular format?

It is a common enough request - if you were joining the guards you would go through the same process. You should expect that they will ask you to return any kit you have been issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BEP!

No I don't have an offer, they just said they need a copy of my discharge paperwork and reason for discharge to continue my application. Perhaps they wanted to know if I was discharged for health or security issues that might rule me out. I haven't actually been discharged but I suppose in my application I may have made it sound past-tense because I haven't been active.

Should I be able to continue with my application despite still technically being enlisted? I hope to join the Royal Irish rather than the Guards if that's relevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

No I don't have an offer, they just said they need a copy of my discharge paperwork and reason for discharge to continue my application. Perhaps they wanted to know if I was discharged for health or security issues that might rule me out. I haven't actually been discharged but I suppose in my application I may have made it sound past-tense because I haven't been active.

Should I be able to continue with my application despite still technically being enlisted? I hope to join the Royal Irish rather than the Guards if that's relevant.

Ok when I said the Guards I meant the lads in yellow jackets with blue flashy lights rather than the ones with their buttons in groups of three four!

Ok it sounds like they want to know if you have been honourably discharged or if you were kicked out. This is reasonable.

If you haven't actually told them that you have left then tell them you are still in but haven't been active for a few months due to life circumstances - this is also reasonable. See if that keeps them happy.

They may then request you provide a letter from your unit to the effect that you are still in and are held in good standing. Lets wait and see.

Edit: Yes to my knowledge you should be able to continue with your application unless they tell you otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Hello Lads,

Cheers!

Obvious thing to do, contact your Unit without further delay and speak with your C.S. End of!

Advertisement