Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will win the Premier League?

• 26-11-2015 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭

Its nearly Christmas and I think now is a good time to ask, who do you think will win the Premier League? I think at this stage you can usually tell who will win it or but in a strong challenge.

I honestly can't call it, the league is so unpredictable this year, here's my take so far anyway of the contenders and possible contenders.

Man City - Has the best squad and a wealth of attacking players. If they can get Kompany, Aguero and Silva on the pitch regularly it would be hard to look past them but after Saturdays game against Liverpool MP doesn't seem to learn his lesson in big games.

Chelsea - 14 points off the top, playing poorly, strikers misfiring, I'd say not a chance.

Arsenal - excellent squad, but you can just never rely on Arsenal. Lacking something still but I would have them as close favourites.

United - Lots of money spent, turgid football but is producing results. Rooney looks to be in massive decline, short on strikers. Excellent defense though, if they could add a striker in January its very possible.

I think it is too early to talk about Liverpool or Spurs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

This will end well......

FWIW I think City will limp to it, the Arse a close second, United 3rd, fourth between LFC, Spurs and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The team with the most points. :P

Its between 3 for me, Utd, City and Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Leicester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

City if Aguero, stays fit.

Liverpool are the outsiders, but I think they be better off out of Europe ASAP.

Would not rule out United as bad as we have been.

But I'll stick with City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Out of the teams minus United I'd like to see Arsenal do it but guaranteed they will bottle it at some stage.

City have Silva, Aguero and Kompany to come back in so its hard to look past them

City
    Arsenal
    United
    Spurs
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Everton

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Everyone bar Leicester City seems to be trying not to and even they often lose the first half of games.

You'd have to suppose that Man City will but only if they get and keep Kompany, Silva and Aguero fit from here on, or buy worthy cover.

Man Utd are just too terrible to keep winning by a goal every game, Arsenal are up to their necks in the walking wounded again and will wilt in January as per, Chelsea are already out of it, top 4 is their target

Liverpool will have plenty more bumps on the road, Everton can't win surely. Ditto Soton

So its Spurs then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

CSF wrote: »
    Leicester

Claudio Ranieri and Leicester will be in first place going into last ten minutes of final game and sub Kasper Schmeichel for the kit man, lose 3 nil, and lose the league on goal difference to Man City.

All hail the tinker man. THE nicest man in football (tm).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This United team are the worst in history. Terrible football.

Might actually have a chance this season with these lads back :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United will win it, defend very well, then bore the opposition into submission or else a 0-0 draw...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

City if they can keep silva,kompany and aguero fit for an extended period of time(mad to still be saying that after 3 years).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Probably City once they manage to get their arse in gear. Presuming they do at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its not nearly Christmas

Anyway, Leicester to win it. Cruising and will have it wrapped up by the end of February

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

City, I suppose. But if Wenger reinforces his squad during the window and maybe even brings someone in that adds another dimension.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

It's too early to call at this stage. You have to say Dundalk have a good chance of retaining their title. Pat's and Cork have made some good signings already and will be up there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Man Utd.

People go on about how they are not scoring goals but there are only three teams with a better goal difference and they all have accumulated fewer points so far. Utd are ticking along despite the fact they are not banging in goals, Old Trafford is a fortress and when the goals start going in they will kick on.

Arsenal and Man City are too inconsistent due to injuries which is merely a repeat of recent seasons. No reason to expect that to change any time soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

City. Arsenal should win it on paper, but typical mental lapses will cost them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

We'll know a lot more by the end of December. The bigger teams all have favourable runs coming up, which will sort a lot out. Hard to look past City at this stage, once their big guns are back, they'll be tough to stop.

The January transfer window will have a big say on whether Arsenal/United could pip City. If neither team was to strengthen in their weak/weakened areas, I can't see either getting more points on board than City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

2 horse race between Arsenal & City. Man united will simply not score enough goals.

City will win it by about 4 points I'd predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

City by 3 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Must be Arsenal's best chance in a few years mainly because Chelsea are in disarray and City can be inconsistent. Man U have a chance as well 'cos they're well organised but the transfer window in January could provide Arsenal with an opportunity to make one or two signings that could make the difference. City should win it, they've got the best team by far but Arsenal could snatch it if things go their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

TheCitizen wrote: »
    the transfer window in January could provide Arsenal with an opportunity to make one or two signings that could make the difference.

They will sign Robert Pires and a 16 year old from the French third tier. :p

Must be Arsenal's best chance in a few years mainly because Chelsea are in disarray and City can be inconsistent. Man U have a chance as well 'cos they're well organised but the transfer window in January could provide Arsenal with an opportunity to make one or two signings that could make the difference. City should win it, they've got the best team by far but Arsenal could snatch it if things go their way.

Wenger will sign another keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Wenger will sign another keeper

Didn't he sign Ozil in January couple of years back for 45m or so. Couple of signings could make them real contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Didn't he sign Ozil in January couple of years back for 45m or so. Couple of signings could make them real contenders.

Ozil was signed on last day of August.

I would expected the more free spending clubs to be splashing the cash in January although Arsenal could really do with another defensive midfielder as a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

I'd sau Man United, playing Ok but no losing many games or conceding goals.

Generally an awful team to watch now but Man U fans won't care once they are near the top

Mods- A poll would be great?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

City - Have a good squad but could also fall flat on their faces.

Utd - Not a hope this year, I can see them scrapping for 3rd/4th

Arse - Normally run out of steam after Christmas

Chelsea - Unless they go on a long streak of winning games then they arent going to be in the hunt.

Liverpool - Depending on players brought in January they could mount a challenge but I see them in the top 4.

Spurs - Same as liverpool tbh and even at that I can see them land just outside the top 4.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sadly Liverpool aren't likely to come close to challenging even. The performances like last weekend will be mixed in with poor ones as well, and be too inconsistent. It also remains to be seen how the high tempo pressing game will see the players perform later in the season. Chelsea are probably too far back to be in with a real chance either, even if they can fully turn their form around. Spurs are probably not going to be able to reach 80+ points either I reckon, although certainly in the running strongly for top 4. City, Utd and Arsenal are all quite inconsistent and prone to bad results, but it's pretty certain the league winner will come from those 3 teams. It's good that it isn't totally predictable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The title is there for the taking and United have the players to take it, but unfortunately in Van Gaal they have the handbrake firmly on, so they won't.

With the standard as poor as it is Arsenal will never have a better chance to finally grab a title, they should be doing everything in their power to focus on it, even if it takes spending money in January. If they want it enough its there for them, but if Wenger doesn't finally go for the throat then it will probably fall to a crap City side by default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I can only see it going city....comfortable gap, Arsenal.........comfortable gap, United.........Scrap for 4th that spurs may win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

No outstanding team this year, I can see this being one of the lowest points finish for the team that wins the league. It's between City and Arsenal for me. A lot will depend on the January transfer window and injuries, which would make City the favourite. Arsenal tend to get too many injuries and Wenger is a reluctant spender. If that were to change, then Arsenal could do it.

The title is there for the taking and United have the players to take it, but unfortunately in Van Gaal they have the handbrake firmly on, so they won't.

With the standard as poor as it is Arsenal will never have a better chance to finally grab a title, they should be doing everything in their power to focus on it, even if it takes spending money in January. If they want it enough its there for them, but if Wenger doesn't finally go for the throat then it will probably fall to a crap City side by default.

To be honest I think the handbrake is helping them in the Premier League. It worked for Mourinho last year too. Nice and solid leading to less stupid dropped points than City, Arsenal or Liverpool do. It's against the good teams that United may struggle and for me that's down to United having a lack of game changers particularly in attacking areas. As a unit United are probably the most stable but lack a reliable goal source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

To be honest I think the handbrake is helping them in the Premier League. It worked for Mourinho last year too. Nice and solid leading to less stupid dropped points than City, Arsenal or Liverpool do. It's against the good teams that United may struggle and for me that's down to United having a lack of game changers particularly in attacking areas. As a unit United are probably the most stable but lack a reliable goal source.

But United aren't going to drop points for being stupid, they are going to drop them because too often they won't get away with being poor creatively, those 1-0 wins will inevitably turn into a few 0-0 draws and 0-1 defeats. You don't have to look past the PSV game for a recent example.

Titles are won by beating the lower teams, but Uniteds lack of anything ressembling an attacking threat means they will be caught on the hop too many times in those games. I'm not worried about the big games at all, those few results won't decide this title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Once the champions league group stages are over Ars Man u and City will pull away. Can't see past City unless Arsenal buy a top class Striker, CM at Christmas, or Utd buy a striker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

jonny24ie wrote: »

Chelsea - Unless they go on a long streak of winning games then they arent going to be in the hunt.

Liverpool - Depending on players brought in January they could mount a challenge but I see them in the top 4.

Spurs - Same as liverpool tbh and even at that I can see them land just outside the top 4.

So nobody is going to win the league this season then?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

I'd say first team to reach 80 points will do it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

jonny24ie wrote: »

So you're saying Leicester. .......... Having ruled out all the others :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Once the champions league group stages are over Ars Man u and City will pull away. Can't see past City unless Arsenal buy a top class Striker, CM at Christmas, or Utd buy a striker

A striker wouldn't change anything for United. A quick, creative right winger/all round attacker on the other hand would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nalz wrote: »
    City

Can't see Vardy maintaining that form for the rest of the season. They have a tough December coming up, will be interesting to see where that are on Jan 1st.

• Advertisement

City should but not so sure they will now.

It's wide open in a píss poor league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

If leicester win i cant think of any achievement that would come close sporting wise

astonaidan wrote: »
    If leicester win i cant think of any achievement that would come close sporting wise

would love to see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

1. Tottenham Hotspur
    2. City
    3. Arsenal
    4. Utd
    5. Liverpool
    6. Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

astonaidan wrote: »

Montpellier a couple or so years back. In English football, maybe Forest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

monkey9 wrote: »
    Montpellier a couple or so years back. In English football, maybe Forest.

Cant really judge Forest myself not around at the time. Montpeiller was amazing the only thing Id say in Leicesters favour would be they were nearly relegated last year and the amount of money the top teams spend in England

You're wrong here it's not the big teams it's the smaller teams United struggle most against. Van Gaal has a permanent handbrake, so cautious, afraid to take any risk. United should have 5 attackers on the pitch at OT against the minnows or at least 4 and an attacking CM, midfielders should be bombing forward.

It's growing clearer by the day that Van Gaal's philosophy is dependant on world class players to provide some individual spark. A manager like Ancelotti could win the league with this group of players. Van Gaal was questioned on his defensive style recently and he said his Ajax team were attacking, Kluivert, Davids, Overmars, de Boer. Seedorf quality players

If United had Muller, Lewandowski and Bale this style might work but managers need to work with the resources they have so its not good enough. Van Gaal is a perfect manager for top clubs with top players to bring in as a stopgap while waiting for managers like Guardiola, Ancelotti or Mourinho who can take it up a notch but unfortunately United haven't got the players Van Gaal is accustomed to

I think City will win, Arsenal second, United third with fans turned against Van Gaal, 4th between Spurs, Pool and Chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Leicester's form is completely unsustainable. The amount of goals their conceding will be their downfall. I think United will give them a lesson this weekend and that'll start off their crash back down to earth.

You're wrong here it's not the big teams it's the smaller teams United struggle most against. Van Gaal has a permanent handbrake, so cautious, afraid to take any risk. United should have 5 attackers on the pitch at OT against the minnows or at least 4 and an attacking CM, midfielders should be bombing forward.

It's growing clearer by the day that Van Gaal's philosophy is dependant on world class players to provide some individual spark. A manager like Ancelotti could win the league with this group of players. Van Gaal was questioned on his defensive style recently and he said his Ajax team were attacking, Kluivert, Davids, Overmars, de Boer. Seedorf quality players

If United had Muller, Lewandowski and Bale this style might work but managers need to work with the resources they have so its not good enough. Van Gaal is a perfect manager for top clubs with top players to bring in as a stopgap while waiting for managers like Guardiola, Ancelotti or Mourinho who can take it up a notch but unfortunately United haven't got the players Van Gaal is accustomed to

I think City will win, Arsenal second, United third with fans turned against Van Gaal, 4th between Spurs, Pool and Chelsea
    No actually, I think you'll find I'm right. In the last 9 games the only teams United have dropped points against are Arsenal, Man City and Crystal Palace away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Everton will be pushing top 4.

they've a nice run until the end of January

• Advertisement
Advertisement