Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Attack

• 26-11-2015 8:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Had a dog attack here yesterday, luckily guy who works here came upon it and shot the dogs. Lost good few of the April pedigrees & few injured, but dread to think what would have happened if not caught in the act or got into the main flock.
    It's reiterated couple of points for me
    1. People genuinely don't think their family pets will not wander or attack sheep, I personally believe these people haven't a clue about dogs.
    2. Guns essential tool on sheep farm
    3. Dog in field bang, ask questions later
    4. Chipping needs to be enforced (we got the owner though without it).

Really hard day lost oldest pedigree ewe that always breeds two good ram lambs, pick of my hogget ewes from one of the 2 best lines in the flock and my best ewe lamb this year along with few more. Going to be as fair as can with owner, but if argues about cost he will be charged. Was very hard to stand watch someone cry over their dogs as my passion were lying killed beside them.

Sorry for post, but think zero tolerance needed...

Comments

I support you in your shooting of roaming killer dogs!
    Owners fault really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Cran wrote: »
    Had a dog attack here yesterday, luckily guy who works here came upon it and shot the dogs. Lost good few of the April pedigrees & few injured, but dread to think what would have happened if not caught in the act or got into the main flock.
    1. People genuinely don't think their family pets will not wander or attack sheep, I personally believe these people haven't a clue about dogs.

Really hard day lost oldest pedigree ewe that always breeds two good ram lambs, pick of my hogget ewes from one of the 2 best lines in the flock and my best ewe lamb this year along with few more. Going to be as fair as can with owner, but if argues about cost he will be charged. Was very hard to stand watch someone cry over their dogs as my passion were lying killed beside them.

I
    Do they have insurance for that ? How much will you be billing them ? And will they pay is the big question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Cran

I
    Do they have insurance for that ? How much will you be billing them ? And will they pay is the big question

Don't know on insurance, said they pay in front of guards so will see. Charging them for animals, vet cost and knackery costs & think I ll have to take hit on any that slip lamb. Pedigree ewes so cost significantly higher than commercials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

We have the best dog wardens among ourselves, farmers drive every road in the country every day and persist in ignoring loose dogs, I never ignore a loose dog and would always try to identify and report to council.
    No one knows who reports them so there's nothing to lose

Don't know on insurance, said they pay in front of guards so will see. Charging them for animals, vet cost and knackery costs & think I ll have to take hit on any that slip lamb. Pedigree ewes so cost significantly higher than commercials

You couldn't value the best ewe in your flock because ewes of that quality don't appear at sales only clearance sales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,379 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How many cartridges were discharged? Charge them for that too. And the disposal of the dogs.

rangler1 wrote: »
    You couldn't value the best ewe in your flock because ewes of that quality don't appear at sales only clearance sales

Totally agree, old ewe was bought privately from famous flock friends who reduced privately to me all aged ewes years ago. Hogget from a best ram producing line and granddam bought privately 7 years ago. Looking positively my main stock ram was in the field and is unharmed, have a soft spot for him & wife's first question was is he ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Sorry to hear about that.Its a sickening dose as I know only too well.At least you got both the dogs and their owner(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

What breed of dog where they? I would say the majority of dog owners are very irresponsible, every dog should be muzzled in public imo. Sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

endacl wrote: »
    How many cartridges were discharged? Charge them for that too. And the disposal of the dogs.

Give the bodies back it's their problem to sort out

It's a shocking dose that too many sheep farmers have to deal with. I agree with ya cran the link between farmers and dog wardens needs to be stronger. My dad had a great relationship with the dog warden here...but he's retired and hasn't being replaced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Very sorry to hear thar CRAN, its something i live in fear of, i dont have a gun but after an attack a few years ago i was adamant i was going to buy one. im just not very experienced with them but have plenty of friends who are gun enthusiasts and are telling me i should have one, i should say they are hunting enthusiasts as well before anyone thinks there carrying glocks and autimatic pistols!

one thing i did last year and must rig up very soon is i electrified the gate off the road going into the field with ewes so if a pack of dogs went to go under it they would get electrocuted, i dont use this gate. prob bad for fence etc but i think it might work. if a dog gets a belt of it he would never come back near it

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear thar CRAN, its something i live in fear of, i dont have a gun but after an attack a few years ago i was adamant i was going to buy one. im just not very experienced with them but have plenty of friends who are gun enthusiasts and are telling me i should have one, i should say they are hunting enthusiasts as well before anyone thinks there carrying glocks and autimatic pistols!

one thing i did last year and must rig up very soon is i electrified the gate off the road going into the field with ewes so if a pack of dogs went to go under it they would get electrocuted, i dont use this gate. prob bad for fence etc but i think it might work. if a dog gets a belt of it he would never come back near it

Sounds like a good idea, would say guy works here very experienced hunter and good bit of experience myself. We had to track one of the dogs and from what we can work out they crossed a deep enough dyke to get into the field and wasn't a very direct route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Completely agree on point 1. Dogs are descended from predatory animals. If you don't know that, and what that means regarding behaviour then you should be able to own one in, or anywhere near a country setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Its an awful phone call to get. Happened us in 2014. Lost 40 in total. Knew who owned the dogs couldn't prove it so we had to wait until the dogs came back again. 3 weeks later got a call, raced over to the field all ihad was a hammer against 2 big alsatian dogs. Follwed them back to the yard. Put down 9 dogs in total and still no compensation. Court case is on going. A shoot to kill policy on any stray dogs we meet don't care who owns it or how friendly they are. We're sick of dog attacks. Lost well over 100 since 2000 over dog attacks

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Its an awful phone call to get. Happened us in 2014. Lost 40 in total. Knew who owned the dogs couldn't prove it so we had to wait until the dogs came back again. 3 weeks later got a call, raced over to the field all ihad was a hammer against 2 big alsatian dogs. Follwed them back to the yard. Put down 9 dogs in total and still no compensation. Court case is on going. A shoot to kill policy on any stray dogs we meet don't care who owns it or how friendly they are. We're sick of dog attacks. Lost well over 100 since 2000 over dog attacks

That is nuts, after going through this couldnt imagine going through that amount of attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I am truly sorry to hear of the dog attack on your ewes, I lost a ewe in lamb to a very expensive AI sire last year. It is truly heartbreaking and no amount of compensation covers the loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

One injured hogget this morning which has just died. Never got the dog/dogs hopefully thatll be the end of it.. Too many neighbours with dogs around here who dont secure their dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

farming93 wrote: »
    One injured hogget this morning which has just died. Never got the dog/dogs hopefully thatll be the end of it.. Too many neighbours with dogs around here who dont secure their dogs.

Fcuking sickening... :(
    Sorry to hear that...

Any idea whose dogs they might be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

farming93 wrote: »

Double the visits to your sheep and don't go without your gun. Might be the end of it but I would doubt it.

Got a call from a friend a week ago a dog was attacking his sheep the dog tried to attack him when he went to the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

I havent a clue tbh, there is that many dogs around here it would be impossible to know. I shot a big dog last year in my neighbours field which was running his sheep and a few weeks later he shot another dog that had given him trouble for a few years but he could just never catch it in the act. I will definitely double my visits to the sheep I had gone too laid back on that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Kovu wrote: »

Can't see it, I think your friend is particular about who she shares with

rangler1 wrote: »
    Can't see it, I think your friend is particular about who she shares with

That's odd, I'm not friends with her and I can see it.

Two zwartble show stock ewes and four lambs killed by a brown and white collie in the ballynahinch area.

7xg64CFl.png?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭arctictree

More dog attacks in Wicklow:

http://www.wicklownews.net/2016/02/concern-at-dog-attacks-on-sheep-during-lambing-season/

One was local to me. Farmer only found the dogs when checking on sheep at 11am. They could have been at it all night.

that the same one thats in the journal or a different one?

ganmo wrote: »
    that the same one thats in the journal or a different one?

Not sure - didnt see the one in the Journal.

Yes, thats the one, just up the road from me.

On the lane we live, there are 5 sheep farmers. 3 have had dog attacks in the last few years. I am just waiting for the day for it to happen to me.

There are two houses bordering my farm where the owners just head off to work and leave their little dog out. Drives me feckin mental. Guards say there is nothing they can do unless the dog is caught in the act.

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    Yes, thats the one, just up the road from me.

On the lane we live, there are 5 sheep farmers. 3 have had dog attacks in the last few years. I am just waiting for the day for it to happen to me.

There are two houses bordering my farm where the owners just head off to work and leave their little dog out. Drives me feckin mental. Guards say there is nothing they can do unless the dog is caught in the act.

its the dog warden that needs to step up.
    there's a few lads down your way that have done some questionable stuff with dogs out of frustration

sometimes you nearly need to bring a gun with you herding just in case

Looks like there were dogs in with the ewes today, 30 of them broke through a fence. Poxy hill walkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Looks like there were dogs in with the ewes today, 30 of them broke through a fence. Poxy hill walkers

Any damage done ??

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Any damage done ??
    not that i noticed, but they were ran through an electric fence
    I'll have to take a closer look at the weekend.

My ewes are wrecked just running up the hill to get fed. I can't imagine the damage a few dogs would do just chasing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Thats tough lad. Got a right of way through your land?

• Advertisement

No a coilte walk goes right up next to us though. It's been the source of all our dog attacks in the last 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

No a coilte walk goes right up next to us though. It's been the source of all our dog attacks in the last 3 years.

Would it be possible to set up the electric fence to block off that end of it??. Few things dogs hate more than a belt of one. I use a fencer myself around the lambing paddock to guard against such attacks when I'm not around. THough this year I think I'll be lambing in doors unless we get a good few weeks of warmer drier weather to dry out the place:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Found a ewe caught in the drain today. Was attacked and a little damaged. Would think it was birds but what others think.

Have her in the shed and gave her antibiotics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

sea12 wrote: »
    Found a ewe caught in the drain today. Was attacked and a little damaged. Would think it was birds but what others think.

I wouldn't have thought that's birds... I dunno would birds leave those marks or pull off the wool like that?
    But I dunno what would do that? I'd nearly be thinkin rats before birds... ?

I've very little experience of sheep but that doesn't look like a bird attack to me. Looks like either teeth or blunt claws made the marks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I wouldn't say dogs, anyway.

There are no chunks ripped out of her and the wounds look fairly superficial, just wool pulled off and scratch marks.

I would be leaning towards birds.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Would it be possible to set up the electric fence to block off that end of it??. Few things dogs hate more than a belt of one. I use a fencer myself around the lambing paddock to guard against such attacks when I'm not around. THough this year I think I'll be lambing in doors unless we get a good few weeks of warmer drier weather to dry out the place:(

There's a sheep fence along it(and a 3/4ft gripe) but they still find the gaps. And I've even seen ppl lift their dogs over the fence

I wouldn't rule out a dog doing that. We had one last year that had similar marks(less severe) from a Belgian Shepard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭razor8

Have seen a pup to that to a sick sheep I had before, he pulled the wool off and starting pawing at the ewe to get up, definitely dogs IMO

There's a sheep fence along it(and a 3/4ft gripe) but they still find the gaps. And I've even seen ppl lift their dogs over the fence

In that case any obvious gaps where a dog would fit through is where I would have some temperory electric fencing at the appropriate heights.As for those people, I would always have the gun with me when checking sheep and I would not be shy reminding these idiots that I'm fully legally entitled to use it on their "pet" in such situations. I would also have signage warning of same.

razor8 wrote: »
    Have seen a pup to that to a sick sheep I had before, he pulled the wool off and starting pawing at the ewe to get up, definitely dogs IMO

She was in a drain and there was a path leading through the hedge where an animal could have travelled. The rest of the sheep were not stressed or hassled though. She looked like she went into drain and got stuck in some briars. She was easy prey for whatever attacked her then. It's beside a forest so would a mink or young fox do it.

Unfortunately they are on out farm and were meant to be there for another 3 weeks before coming home for lambing.

She was in a drain and there was a path leading through the hedge where an animal could have travelled. The rest of the sheep were not stressed or hassled though. She looked like she went into drain and got stuck in some briars. She was easy prey for whatever attacked her then. It's beside a forest so would a mink or young fox do it.

Unfortunately they are on out farm and were meant to be there for another 3 weeks before coming home for lambing.

Probably a fox based on that situation. Time for a bit of lamping down your way;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Birdnuts wrote: »
    As for those people, I would always have the gun with me when checking sheep and I would not be shy reminding these idiots that I'm fully legally entitled to use it in such situations. I would also have signage warning of same.

I think you had a couple of extra words in your post 😜

Unfortunately must be dogs. 1 killed this morning and another in drain. Have to try get them all home now this evening.

Unfortunately must be dogs. 1 killed this morning and another in drain. Have to try get them all home now this evening.

Shíte. Hope the rest of the flock aren't spooked too much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement