Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Raspberry Pi Zero with purchase of MagPi Magazine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Lads I found a load of these magazines in tescos (new one) in Dundalk €7.34 got one from myself and a friend, plenty still there in the magazine section at the back (around 8 or so)

I was in there at about 6 today I could not find any what time were you in at ? Also what magazines was it near do you know ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

The section with the computer magazines, it would be at the pharmacy side, it is not as you walk in where the newspapers are.

I got 2 roughly around 1645 to 1700 there was a good few there.

I was in easons in the marshes and newry looking for them and gave up and happened on them when in for groceries

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Will this run kodi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nightowlzaphod

It will run OSMC / Kodi with ease.

I run it on Raspberry Pi A+ @700MHz with 256MB RAM , and the Pi Zero is 1GHz with 512MB , Only issue is that you'll need an OTG cable to connect a USB WiFi adapter, so for KODI you're almost better off buying a single core A+..

However... if you just want to do it because its there and don't care about additional cables , boxes or neatness , just to do it because its fun then knock yourself out.. You'll have a WiFi enabled media centre for less than a tenner once you buy a micro SD, Wifi Adapter and OTG cable. Go sniffing around AliExpress.com for incredible prices on these items.

I'm waiting a week for the re-print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

Just checked tescos in Dundalk lads there all gone but I see touts on ebay selling them for GBP£79 FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

None to be found in wilton cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

What's everyone going to use these for? Tempted but I don't know what I'd use it for. Already have a rpi2.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

The section with the computer magazines, it would be at the pharmacy side, it is not as you walk in where the newspapers are.

I got 2 roughly around 1645 to 1700 there was a good few there.

I was in easons in the marshes and newry looking for them and gave up and happened on them when in for groceries

Theres none left in Tesco Dundalk. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭brianorourke

Tried Phibsborough, Parnell Street, Temple Bar, Kevin Street and Dame Street Tescos. Went home with the hopes that they aren't back on sale yet (and not sold out).

Also had the day off and felt like a walk. I have a life I swear ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 nightowlzaphod

From the Raspberry Pi website ..

If you’re in Ireland or Northern Ireland: it appears there was a bit of a SNAFU yesterday. MagPis were meant to be going into Tesco stores across both Ireland and Northern Ireland, but the tills hadn’t been programmed correctly (this was the first month they were carrying the MagPi, and we think a crucial button didn’t get pressed), so the magazine didn’t scan. Tesco’s response was to order shops to return all the magazines to the warehouse.

We’re talking to the distributors now, and we heard ten minutes ago that the magazines will be going back to the stores at the start of next week. Keep an eye on our Twitter feed and Facebook – we’ll let you know as soon as we hear they’ve hit the ground, so you can all go and do the swarm of locusts thing at your local Tesco.

To be honest, I was originally into trying to get this in a big way for yeolde nostalgias saks, but after peeking into 3 or 4 newsagents, i think ill just buy a few pi zeros. Its probably going to disappear the second it hits most shops anyway, hardly worth the agro for £3 postage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Here's the list of stores stocking them. Not too many stores around Dublin.

https://twitter.com/TheMagP1/status/671672871245250560

• Registered Users Posts: 45 QuelleSuprise

I'm going into Tesco Maynooth later. If there is a good few, I will buy a few then sell them onto ye guys later at cost :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

None available in Tesco Clearwater as yet it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I'm going into Tesco Maynooth later. If there is a good few, I will buy a few then sell them onto ye guys later at cost :P

I'd love one at cost, none getting delivered to Limerick on that list :(

People are doing class things with them already, the one inside the Xbox controller was great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Sitamoia

I'd love one at cost, none getting delivered to Limerick on that list :(

People are doing class things with them already, the one inside the Xbox controller was great!

I'd be interested too, they look class.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FatBeard

Ya, i'd take one if you get a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

how much are the mags in tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

If anyone has spares, I would be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

Didn't see no magpi in tesco Maynooth :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Vagabundo

Any spares? I've been searching around dublin for these things.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Can someone publish a list of where you might get these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97925052&postcount=63

I doubt there's any left anywhere. Look at ebay, they are worth much more because there is so few of them. There was probablly lots of pathetic geniuses of business buying multiple magpi magazines to sell them at 5 times the price on eBay to ADHD kids who can't few more days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Hi just picked up two in tesco arklow. ( in the last 30 mins )

Ask for Colette who deals with publications ( office hours )

They still don't scan so are not put on general display. But they scanned a sterling 5.99 mag equivalent ( works out about 9.50 with vat and sterling )

The key is to find a tesco extra with a big magazine display section and ask for the person that deals with publications.

Then are there folks. Sitting in the back room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Mario95 wrote: »
    I doubt there's any left anywhere. Look at ebay, they are worth much more because there is so few of them. There was probablly lots of pathetic geniuses of business buying multiple magpi magazines to sell them at 5 times the price on eBay to ADHD kids who can't few more days...
    Crazy stuff.
    I still don't understand how anyone would pay the gougers prices???
    Are the gougers going to attempt a DeBeers style monopoly and just buy up every Pi Zero ever made and stockpile them to restrict supply and force prices up??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 45 QuelleSuprise

Nothing in Maynooth, last guy came in and bought three apparently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Crazy stuff.
    I still don't understand how anyone would pay the gougers prices???
    Are the gougers going to attempt a DeBeers style monopoly and just buy up every Pi Zero ever made and stockpile them to restrict supply and force prices up??

Supply and demand.....don't hate the player hate the game (capitalism)

This is what happens when a company produces a small amount of very desirable product. Something makes me think that the Pi Zero doesn't really cost under $5 to make, and thus they have decided to make a very limited number of them, knowing that the demand will be so great. I'd say that this $5 thing is just a marketing move to popularize raspberry pi.

• Advertisement

None in Wilton Cork, manager said there was no sign of it, the magazines vendor is coming in Wednesday morning, maybe something might happen then ? He just got off the phone with somebody else looking for a copy - so - good luck if your trying to get it id say, lots of demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

None in Easons or Tesco in Dundrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

This is what happens when a company produces a small amount of very desirable product. Something makes me think that the Pi Zero doesn't really cost under $5 to make, and thus they have decided to make a very limited number of them, knowing that the demand will be so great. I'd say that this $5 thing is just a marketing move to popularize raspberry pi.

20,000 is a very limited run? What, you think the raspberry Pi foundation bought back their own Pi's and are now selling them on eBay for 40 quid each?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Or to popularize the magazine(even though they let you download it for free)...but lets not forget that:
    Raspberry Pi Foundation is a registered educational charity (registration number 1129409) based in the UK. Our Foundation’s goal is to advance the education of adults and children, particularly in the field of computers, computer science and related subjects.

So its not a profit driven company, hence why I support it over other cheap boards

syklops wrote: »
    What, you think the raspberry Pi foundation bought back their own Pi's and are now selling them on eBay for 40 quid each?!?

I never said that, I never even said anything that could somehow suggest that I think that? All I said that I suspect that the whole Pi zero for $5 is just a marketing move to promote raspberry pi.
    syklops wrote: »
    20,000 is a very limited run?

Considering the amount of people interested in the product, then yes it clearly is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Ah you'd swear they were never going to be made available again. They're not garth brooks tickets like. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭b0gg3r

Only one Tesco in Dublin on that list, is it me or is that odd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Something makes me think that the Pi Zero doesn't really cost under $5 to make, and thus they have decided to make a very limited number of them, knowing that the demand will be so great. I'd say that this $5 thing is just a marketing move to popularize raspberry pi.

Break out the tinfoil hats. I don't see how you think 'We’ve built several tens of thousands of units so far, and are building more, but we expect demand to outstrip supply for the next little while' translates to them building a 'very limited amount of a product' especially considering its completely useless on its own it could have been a slow burn. another 2000 off the line today. Also I don't see anything that suggests a cost of more than $5 theres feck all on the board.

Break out the tinfoil hats. I don't see how you think 'We’ve built several tens of thousands of units so far, and are building more, but we expect demand to outstrip supply for the next little while' translates to them building a 'very limited amount of a product' especially considering its completely useless on its own it could have been a slow burn. another 2000 off the line today. Also I don't see anything that suggests a cost of more than $5 theres feck all on the board.

Ah in fairness $5 is a fairly tight margin to make something for, only 6 months ago everybody was going mad about the $9 chip, which uses the Allwinner chip. I think broadcom must have decided to do a deal to help push more PIs out there.

Thing is while its for education and all, its starting to become a popular platform and its finding its way into industrial use a lot. All the people learning today will be going into jobs tomorrow, so its defintely good for raspberry pi and broadcom to get out there as much as possible. I think how not for profit they really are is a bit dubious, but the pi is a good thing in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Don't waste your time in Clearwater today. Apparently they haven't come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boogaloop

Anywhere in Galway city? I just see Ballinasloe on that list...

imitation wrote: »
    Ah in fairness $5 is a fairly tight margin to make something for, only 6 months ago everybody was going mad about the $9 chip, which uses the Allwinner chip. I think broadcom must have decided to do a deal to help push more PIs out there.

For $9 the chip has wifi, bluetooth, 4gb nand, and comes with a composite video cable and is produced in low volume. Pi foundation are knocking out 20k pi per day plus whatever amount of pi zero their component costs will be very low, there are 20 pi zero in each pcb array and no throughhole components and the board is pasted and picked and placed on one side only so the assembly and testing cost will be low.

For $9 the chip has wifi, bluetooth, 4gb nand, and comes with a composite video cable and is produced in low volume. Pi foundation are knocking out 20k pi per day plus whatever amount of pi zero their component costs will be very low, there are 20 pi zero in each pcb array and no throughhole components and the board is pasted and picked and placed on one side only so the assembly and testing cost will be low.

It is almost half the price of the chip though, and on top of that is probably going to have far better software than the CHIP. I just noticed the rest of your post after i replied, I do agree its probably not a limited run, but I think its an impressive achivement for $5, especially as its produced in Wales and your dealing with broadcom who arent as cut throat as allwinner on pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

My girlfriend went into Ballinasloe yesterday and they said they sent them back again as they weren't scanning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭b0gg3r

Negative on bloomsfield

• Advertisement

Asked again in TEsco Wilton I didn't even need to finish the sentence to be told they didn't have any, they are innundated with people asking.
    imitation wrote: »
    It is almost half the price of the chip though, and on top of that is probably going to have far better software than the CHIP. I just noticed the rest of your post after i replied, I do agree its probably not a limited run, but I think its an impressive achivement for $5, especially as its produced in Wales and your dealing with broadcom who arent as cut throat as allwinner on pricing.

I'm not suggesting the chip is a good deal, just that $5 for the pi zero doesn't surprise me I gave up on allwinner after they broke so many promises on releasing source and the blobs they released were useless.

Sonys plant in wales, is now basically making all the Pi models as far as I understand , 20,000 plus everything else, is a lot on a PCB production process, ket no one tell you other wise and thats only the first order !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

none out today either in mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Have checked both castlebar and westport, none.

Not surprised, we never get anything.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Have checked both castlebar and westport, none.

Not surprised, we never get anything.
    poor didums. , you got loads of sheep and Enda though

• Advertisement
Advertisement