Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Raspberry Pi Zero with purchase of MagPi Magazine

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

RossieMan wrote: »
    Have checked both castlebar and westport, none.

Not surprised, we never get anything.

I got one in Claremorris on Tuesday ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

MayoForSam wrote: »

Careful, that batch may have parts which abruptly stop working in September :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

MayoForSam wrote: »

Congrats, I would nearly frame it if I was you as its such a mythical beast, it seems a shame to actually use the Pi and read the magazine on the bog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

t seems a shame to actually use the Pi and read the magazine on the bog.

better then getting confused and using the Pi on the bog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Any update on Tesco stocks of them

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Got 2 in Tesco's Drogheda today one left. Its in with Pc mags was amazed to see it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭b0gg3r

raytaxi wrote: »
    Got 2 in Tesco's Drogheda today one left. Its in with Pc mags was amazed to see it there.

Was it in their system? Did it scan okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Yeah scanned ok, think it was 9.77 but don't hold me to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

raytaxi wrote: »
    Yeah scanned ok, think it was 9.77 but don't hold me to that

Tescos exchange rate must really bad then. I thought a $5 computer would cost about 4.90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mario95 wrote: »
    Tescos exchange rate must really bad then. I thought a $5 computer would cost about 4.90.

You want the magazine for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

Corholio wrote: »
    You want the magazine for free?

I got it the other way around, its the Pi zero that comes free with the magazine.
    I can't remember now but the price of MagPi in the UK was £6.something. Which is lot less than nearly €10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

raytaxi wrote:

That last one was gone at opening time this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

They finally arrived in Tesco Tullamore. About 6 on the shelf today at 9.77 each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

I wonder how many of these will actually be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

nc6000 wrote: »
    I wonder how many of these will actually be used.

As far as I know, the blister packaging and backing card for the Pi Zero is unique to the magazine, so.. A lot will be squirrelled away to entertain moths and spiders in countless attics. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Just bought a Pi Zero from PI Hut as they have them on sale since 12pm.

http://thepihut.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=21953420069a624b5ca93f372&id=b64e0478a6&e=d9fcb09c3a

£3.50 delivery

Just bought a Pi Zero from PI Hut as they have them on sale since 12pm.

http://thepihut.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=21953420069a624b5ca93f372&id=b64e0478a6&e=d9fcb09c3a

£3.50 delivery

£10 for the Raspberry Pi Zero.

So, £13.50 delivered..

I'm a customer of The Pi Hut, but.. they're being a bit.. grubby, with that pricing.

EDIT: ..and they're gone. (out of stock)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Amalgam wrote: »
    £10 for the Raspberry Pi Zero.

So, £13.50 delivered..

I'm a customer of The Pi Hut, but.. they're being a bit.. grubby, with that pricing.

EDIT: ..and they're gone. (out of stock)

Actually the 10gbp looks like it includes the essentials kit (and is still in stock). The pi zero on its own is only 4gbp (and is out of stock).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

£6 for the essentials kit is saucy, especially as I have a micro usb -> Usb cable adapter already

• Advertisement

Cheers Phibsboro. Script blocking in place... [derp], ahem.. 'user error'.

Interestingly the £4 version came back into stock for me and I was able to put in an order. As an avid nerd I have no need for the essentials kit, and I have a bucket full of sd cards thanks to bargain alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

hmm they sell out too quick I can't get my hands on one of them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have the thing in my shopping cart but I keep getting "inventory issues" :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They have the Pi Zero in stock on Pimoroni but it's only in the form of two starter packs that bump the prices up considerably,
    link
    and these start at £19.50 for a "Starter Kit" that includes all sorts of crap you probably don't need.
    The sterling conversion nearly sends the Zero into Pi2 territory as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Anyone see any more of these around the dublin area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

eddhorse wrote: »
    Anyone see any more of these around the dublin area?
    Not quiet Dublin, but there was four copies in Tesco Extra Naas at about 8am this morning. I bought one, hoping my almost 11 year old will have the good sense to see it as an exciting stocking filler!

Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

Just popped into Tesco Naas and grabbed one. There is now only 1 magazine left!

I got my Pi Zero in the post and the copy i subscribed for as well, so I will defintely spot it the next time i am in tescos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I'm still looking for a copy. Anyone any ideas for where is the best bet at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

There is a new issue out for January 2016 so I doubt the one with the free PI will be stocked again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

I'm still looking for a copy. Anyone any ideas for where is the best bet at this stage?

+1
    On look out also

Raspberry Pi Zero is in stock, currently, 9.45am, 28 December, at the Pi Hut.

Raspberry Pi Zero £4
    Delivery £3.50

http://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-zero/products/raspberry-pi-zero

---

An email was sent out this morning to say they had got stock.

Remember to grab some pins/GPIO header, if you want to populate the GPIO or the new P5 header.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 scartboy

Rats, 12:50 and they're all sold out :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

Amalgam wrote: »

And all gone again...

Lasted 2-3 hours this time, instead of a few minutes!

Get on their mailing list, paulhardman. They sent out a pre warning, of when they'd start selling them, from 6pm today.

No sign of stock at Pimoroni.

In a cruel twist they made the cover of the latest issue of the mag pi the same colour and layout as the pi zero issue, I almost jumped out of my shoes when i saw it in tesco, not even sure why as i already a zero :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 txema

Back in stock at The Pi Hut.
    This time the are launching half the stock at 9:00 am and the other half at 7:00pm, so if you can't get it in the morning you still have another chance this evening.

I just got mine at last! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

txema wrote: »
    Back in stock at The Pi Hut.
    This time the are launching half the stock at 9:00 am and the other half at 7:00pm, so if you can't get it in the morning you still have another chance this evening.

I just got mine at last! :)

Thanks, they are still in stock. Just ordered mine too. Still a limit of 1 per customer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Back in stock again.

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero

some pi Zero stock in today £8 delivered (about a € tenner)
    you'll need to get some bits and pieces too,
    SD card
    USB network card
    Bluetooth card
    OTG adaptor
    Power supply

chances are you have most already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I ordered the Pi 3 on the day it came out from the PiHut.
    They shipped it, but I never received it.
    Ended up getting my money back, but not impressed.

May be an isolated incident, but also might be because it was the first time I put in my Eircode to a UK site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Back in stock again.

some pi Zero stock in today 8 delivered (about a tenner)
    SD card
    USB network card
    Bluetooth card
    OTG adaptor
    Power supply

I read today they updated it with support for the camera module. Maybe that's the reason behind the stock.

Back in stock again.

some pi Zero stock in today £8 delivered (about a € tenner)
    SD card
    USB network card
    Bluetooth card
    OTG adaptor
    Power supply

You'd be better off with a pi 2/3 at that rate. Unless there is something about the zero i'm not seeing ? Ok if you have the bits lying around already I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I ordered the Pi 3 on the day it came out from the PiHut.
    They shipped it, but I never received it.
    Ended up getting my money back, but not impressed.

May be an isolated incident, but also might be because it was the first time I put in my Eircode to a UK site.

I've used the pihut a good few times now and have found them excellent each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You'd be better off with a pi 2/3 at that rate. Unless there is something about the zero i'm not seeing ? Ok if you have the bits lying around already I guess.

Totally agree.

Well a pi 2 or 3 is 20/30 quid, while the zero is a third of that. It is significantly smaller too and really suited to small projects like rc cars or clocks etc. The theory is the low price means you can be fearless about using it for hacky small projects, but in reality you would be lucky to get your hands on 1 or 2 with the constant stock shortages.

The pi 2 and 3 though are a better shout for bigger projects, media centers, mini desktops and servers as they have the quad core cpu , more ram and more connections.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Only if you pay way over the odds for the bits.

You must have an old micro SD card lying around somewhere ?

you can use a micro usb cable/charger from your phone till you get one from the pound shop , get the mini HDMI there too maybe get a USB bluetooth dongle there while you are at it.

OTG from China are half nothing , and are so useful you should get anyway even if only so you can use a mouse/keyboard on your phone "just in case the touchscreen ever break" , also handy for memory sticks to phone / tablet
    also cheap USB wifi cards from china

An option is to test and setup on the full sized pi and then transfer the SD card and bits etc across when ready

One project for me is using CEC to control the TV.
    The "official" remote is £17 plus postage.

Handy link for checking stock.

http://whereismypizero.com/

---

The above link scrapes stock availability from the following retailers.

Pi Supply
    adafruit
    Pimoroni
    ThePiHut
    element14

---

ThePiHut, in the UK, got a very sizeable shipment this week. No need to purchase kits, from them, or Pimoroni, at the moment.

Remember, you'll need a special (extra purchase), Pi Zero only cable, to attach the Pi Zero to a Pi camera.

• Advertisement
Advertisement