Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for some work

Options
  • 26-11-2015 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I'm buying a House in a new development . They're at first fix stage now and I met with the electrician to ask for a price to wire and install the following.

Exterior sensor light
    Some under the kitchen counter strip lighting

The price he came back to me with is as follows:

Wire, supply & fit 1 L.E.D. sensor light 125.00
    Wire, supply & fit 4 undercounter lights @ €45 180.00

Price 305.00
    V.A.T. @13.5% 41.18
    Total 346.18

What do you think of this price? I was fairly surprised at it , having expected maybe 150 in total bearing in mind the house is still a shell internally and first fix wiring still being done so shouldn't be much extra work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

The materials alone could cost far more than €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Buy ALL the fittings YOURSELF and then ask him how much to fit, I would think that's a mornings work for any decent sparks depending on a few factors (if even that) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

ronan45 wrote: »
    Buy ALL the fittings YOURSELF and then ask him how much to fit, I would think that's a mornings work for any decent sparks depending on a few factors (if even that) ;)

That also depends on whether he is happy to fit materials he hasn't supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 electrichunter

a decent price in my opinion your talking half day at least to install and test , plus material cost which has to be collected etc , the costs of running a business very high nowaday i had to complete a course at a cost of 1k just to certify . plus we have no holiday pay ,insurance endless training costs , a mountain of equipment and repairs to same , pension , vans diesel then go home do the bookwork and price jobs etc and then have a wage . your talking at least 35 to 40 a hour to to have a decent living . if you keep well below that on a regular basis you might as well work for someone else.back in the day when i had lads working each qualified spark cost me 850 per week and then make a profit .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Not a bad price imo, keep it to his material too if there is an issue its his. Also you dont want the stress of getting it and he might not want some LED fitting with tiny terminals if you got the material in the wrong place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement