Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jingle Bells 5km, 05/12/15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

No snow for tomorrow...but looks like plenty of rain and wind!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

No snow for tomorrow...but looks like plenty of rain and wind!!!!

apparently it'll be at our backs for the start anyway and the last mile is sheltered by trees on both sides, hopefully it won't to too horrible!

Lads, I know I've run the park lots of times before and should know all these roads, but can anyone give a quick overview of the route for me? Is it completely flat until the glen road?

Lads, I know I've run the park lots of times before and should know all these roads, but can anyone give a quick overview of the route for me? Is it completely flat until the glen road?

there's the slight drag up Chesterfield Ave, the thing to remember is don't go out too fast, its particularly easy to do that here as its a fast start and believe me when I say you don't want to be dead on your feet turning onto ordinance survey road!!! There are a couple of small bumps around the Glen Road but nothing of note (that I can remember). Enjoy whoopsa, hopefully see you at some point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

jb5k_elev.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

We're not cancelled then yet? Haven't checked the forecast but getting numerous reports as to how bad it's to be.

aquinn wrote: »
    We're not cancelled then yet? Haven't checked the forecast but getting numerous reports as to how bad it's to be.

from Met Eireann:
    Another exceptionally wet and windy day is in store for most parts of the country on Saturday. Extended periods of torrential rain in the northwest and west are likely to bring more widespread flooding to these areas. However, in southeastern counties, rain will become lighter and intermittent at times. There will be little or no abatement to the very strong, southwesterly winds. Highest temperatures 11 to 13 degrees Celsius.

from YR.No
    06:00–12:00 09.png 12° 2.6 – 4.6 mm vindpil.0200.225.pngGale, 20 m/s from southwest

from Meno:
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah but it's a southwest wind meaning it's right behind you for the 1st km and from the side and behind for the 2nd. It's only against you for about 500m on the ordinance survey rd where you should tuck in behind a few runners. The last half of the race is almost entirely tree lined and you won't feel the wind at all (it will be coming from the side in any case).

Like anything you should study the route and use the course and conditions to your advantage.

it'll be grand :pac:

Edit to say I see the Waterford Half is cancelled, weather much worse down their way though (?) keep an eye on Donore webpage & facebook I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

With Waterford cancelled tomorrow I've decided to run in this, so I've just been in contact with the guys in Donore and they still have places and looks like it's going ahead.

See you all tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Tomorrow should be cancel in fairness. Don't want a refund as it's a club race so a great cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

estariol wrote: »
    jb5k_elev.jpg
    That doesn't look right!!!
    A slight drag up to Mountjoy roundabout then slightly down to flat along Ordinance road and then down hill for the last 2K really..
    Don't know where that spike is? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

A slight drag up to Mountjoy roundabout then slightly down to flat along Ordinance road and then down hill for the last 2K really..

Think your route is climbing the papal cross

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Not a hope am I running this tomorrow. I can deal with wind and rain for a trail or a cross country but not for a flat road race. Best of luck to all that do brave the elements. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

mmr_jb5k.jpg
    the scale is probably deceptive, it's about 15 meters over 1.6k so appox 1%.Here's the route elevation from MapMyRun, spike at 3.75k
    mmr_jb5k_detail.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

No need to worry about Mount Upperglen.

Are most people still running?

I've just copped that I brought the wrong piece of paper home from work, so I don't have my confirmation printed, will I be able it show on my phone do you think? I'll go to work this morning if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Are most people still running?

I've just copped that I brought the wrong piece of paper home from work, so I don't have my confirmation printed, will I be able it show on my phone do you think? I'll go to work this morning if not.

Still running :)

I would imagine you'd be ok with showing the email on your phone? Maybe give them a call?

mbarr wrote: »
    Still running :)

I would imagine you'd be ok with showing the email on your phone? Maybe give them a call?

Cool - till going to Ryan's?

I'll swing by work, probably better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Cool - till going to Ryan's?

I'll swing by work, probably better safe than sorry.

Yep will probably head home first so don't know how many will be there once i get in.

Well I'll be there for a couple of hours anyway. Dubgal will be in at some stage too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Results here:

https://www.championchipireland.com/cca/results/files/JB%20Results2015Result.xls

Look like gun times. The start was a bit messy but a very well run event, especially considering the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

Was there a chip mat at the start, didn't see one meself?
    Must've been gun time cos my time in the results is 12 secs out from my watch time.

Didn't see a chip mat either and after the false start, I don't think we lined up at the correct starting point...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

fletch wrote: »
    Didn't see a chip mat either and after the false start, I don't think we lined up at the correct starting point...

No timing mat at the start due to conditions.

Manone wrote: »
    No timing mat at the start due to conditions.
    That's understandable alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The clock at the finish had a totally different time to the one they sent me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I didn't see a finish clock but they were calling out times. Not sure what my thoughts are on that today. Think I'm still struggling that I actually raced and a PB. Watch a few seconds off text. Still puzzled by the false start.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I didn't see any clock at the finish either the start was a bit of a mess .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

aquinn wrote: »
    I didn't see a finish clock but they were calling out times. Not sure what my thoughts are on that today. Think I'm still struggling that I actually raced and a PB. Watch a few seconds off text. Still puzzled by the false start.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    I didn't see any clock at the finish either the start was a bit of a mess .

It was on the right hand side right beside the finish line flag. It was at about waist height though and easily could have been obscured if there were people standing around or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Was tempted to give it a miss but turned it into a tempo run,couldn't even hold 10mile pace though. Time was 15secs off for me which is less of a concern than the legs not being able to turn over at all.

Advertisement