Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you a fag?......leads to assault

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Piriz wrote: »
    was that the guy in Crumlin? i read a story about it in the Indo, f'in awful..

Yes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

bigroad wrote: »
    The Government have plenty of cash ,its just wasted. I will start with the free legal aid that's wasted on these repeat offenders. Gardaí man hours is another one.

What? That statement is so contradictory I won't even bother getting into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Reading this thread has made me realise I need to be more cautious in Dublin. I feel for you guys and girls who have experienced hassle and assault. I can't imagine how scary that is or how it affects your confidence and trust in people. Sending you good thoughts!

I've never had any physical hassle but that's probably a result of sheer naivety (when I was younger) and I've always been tall for my age. 22 years ago I would have been coming out of Fibbers off Parnell Street or various gigs round the Point in the AM hours. 22 years later and my partner gets very concerned if I've to be in town at night time. I always laugh at her and in the back of my mind I'm thinking "I'm tall. I've FROM the north side. I've never had any real hassle". Of course I can see how stupid that is in the face of random assault.

In all my years in living in Dublin I've only had one incident. Looking back it was the 'ole size em up routine but I didn't realise at the time and was probably one of the reasons I escaped without a broken face. Our college had access to a swimming pool down down at Sean McDermott Street (off Gardiner Street). God knows why - it was miles away. I went once one winter night around 6pm. Pitch black. Street deserted. it's got that wierd tension you can pickup sometimes when your spidey senses are working. Sure enough some guy appears out of nowehere, blocks my path and to be honest I didn't understand completely what he said (which probably helped). It sounded like "Heorrrr bud, you wann smack?". I tried to understand the question. Did I want a smack? Or did I want smack (to but some)? Either way, the answer was no and I got out of there. I always think back to that day and how lucky I possibly was and how quickly it can happen.

Funny you mention Galway. It's the only place I've ever been to where I consistently experienced random hassle. Is there a particularly big drug problem there or maybe I stayed in the wrong hostels when I was younger?

First time I was in a chipper around 3AM with a mate. Some guy came in and stood at the opposite end of the counter. We took no notice of him but were watching the TV above his head. I think he intrepreted this as us looking at him because he started to get real aggressive very quickly. He didn't actually approach us but he was quickly escalating from "What the f**k do you want? Are you looking at ME?????" etc. I realised he sweating profusely and when het tried wiping his face with the laminated menus we bailed.

Second time was walking back to hostel in the early hours with a mate and some guy started to scream at any/everyone for zero reason. He then proceeded to kick the **** out of several cars at a red light. It seemed completely random as he was walking somewhat calmly down the road on front of us just before he kicked off. One of those cars was a Garda car which he hadn't noticed so his episode didn't last long.

Advertisement