Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would anyone be interested in training with the 1595 club in Athlone?

• 26-11-2015 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

The 1595 club currently has a Salle in Ballinasloe but to make it more accessible I'm thinking of moving to a location in Athlone.

Is there anyone in that area who would be interested in coming along to train with us?

The class caters for complete beginners to martial arts and is friendly and welcoming. We also teach experienced fencers and martial artists.

Equipment is provided and if you want to meet or give me a call before attending to find out more about the class and the club please feel free to get in touch, id be happy to chat with you.

Club will be running on a Tuesday night.

If you would link more information I can send you video links to all the different forms we study. Please just drop me a PM and I'll get it sent out to you straight away along with Facebook and website links.

We are currently training a lot with Cane and doing a lot of unarmed Pugilism and Savate) but I have some students who are keen to do some more Sword soon and we generally teach whatever people are interested in the most.

A little info on the club below :-)

The 1595 Club Ireland is a study of the lost martial system of Vincentio Saviolo covering unarmed combat, the study and practice of historical weapons and the study of authentic swordsmanship.

We will be offering courses suitable for all abilities from the beginner to advanced students both in individual classes and group workshops. Everyone welcome.

Our fully insured teachers are also available to teach workshops at other clubs around Ireland. Classes can be tailor made to fit in with your club.

Our club, The 1595 Club is dedicated to the practice, study and rebirth of the ‘lost’ martial arts of Europe. Our primary source is the work of the sixteenth century soldier, philosopher and Master of Fence Vincentio Saviolo and it is from the year of publication of ‘His Practise’ in 1595 that the Club takes its name.

The terms ‘fencing’ or ‘to fence’ originated from the Elizabethan slang for ‘defence’ and ‘offence’ and this is the meaning that we wish to reclaim.

Fencing is the art of combat: the art and science of defence.

The 1595. Club’s approach to the Art of Fence offers:

• A full martial system: ranging from unarmed combat to the study and practice of historical weapons.

• The study of authentic swordsmanship and the Art of Arms.

• A practical and effective form of self-defence.

• An exploration and study of the co-ordination and harmony of both mind and body, not only as a combat discipline but also as a form of solo practice, that encourages and benefits both physical and emotional well-being.

• The promotion of a philosophy of respect and goodwill:

“…the more skill a man hath of his weapon the more gentle and curteous should he shewe himselfe, for in truth this is rightly the honour of a brave Gentleman, and so much the more is hee to bee esteemed : neither must he be a bragger, or lyer, and without truth in his word, because there is nothing more to be required of a man then to know himselfe…” Vincentio Saviolo.

The weapon forms we study are:

Sword (Arming sword or early Rapier)
    Sword and Dagger
    Sword and Shield
    Sabre
    Staff and Pole weapons (Partizan)
    Walking stick/Cane
    Pugilism (Victorian boxing)
    Savate (Classic French Foot Fighting)
    Elements of Pugilism and Savate are combined with all weapon forms to show the student that the weapon in hand is but one weapon amongst many that can be used.

Comments

Advertisement