Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluebird Care (or alternative)

• 26-11-2015 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Is there a service that provides home help for the elderly available in Co. Ros?
    Really looking for someone to call in to an elderly relative for an hour every couple of days. Neighbours are great but a nurse/carer etc would be more qualified and might give us more peace of mind regarding health issues.

Thanks in advance.
    P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Pique wrote: »
    Hi All,

Is there a service that provides home help for the elderly available in Co. Ros?
    Really looking for someone to call in to an elderly relative for an hour every couple of days. Neighbours are great but a nurse/carer etc would be more qualified and might give us more peace of mind regarding health issues.

Thanks in advance.
    P

surely they'd be eligible for some home care help from the HSE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

She would but I wasn't aware such things existed for the non-infirm?
    She's mobile and it wouldn't be a medical necessity but would be nice if the district nurse (do they still operate? I'm well out of the loop) called in on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

That's not the role of a nurse.

There's a very proactive active age group in Roscommon town.
    I don't know it's details to tell you but I'm sure if you enquire locally you'll find out.
    Members are collected from their homes by bus and brought to meetings/events.

Addle wrote: »

Yes, but in the past there was the home visits by the district nurse.
    There's a very proactive active age group in Roscommon town.
    I don't know it's details to tell you but I'm sure if you enquire locally you'll find out.
    Members are collected from their homes by bus and brought to meetings/events.

Thanks, but she still drives so a collection isn't needed, yet.

What I'd like to get for her is a service (public or private) that could provide a call-in home visit once or twice a week to check on the physical/mental wellbeing of an elderly person living alone.

Neighbours are great but it's not a substitute for a carer/nurse checking up on someone.

Just put a job advertisement in the paper so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

To be honest, please go for a recommendation!

Phone your local health centre and ask for the public health nurse, you can ask to meet her and see what comes up.

The likes of bluebird and comfort keepers pay about a tenner an hour, charge the client roughly double, if you decide to go this route the PHN will know who is local, don't be afraid to have questions ready and ask for recommendations, if you go the route of bluebird or others, you can claim tax back if you are the one paying for the care, obviously you need to be paying tax to avail of it.

Hope this helps

Public health nurses are under enough pressure looking after the sick and newborns without being expected to help the able.
    I really don't think you should, or it's appropriate, to bother them with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

It's always how we deal with them, and they are the ones in the community who know what's going on.

If the person does not get the right care, they end up needng more care.

I worked with them for years, and never has it been suggested that they cannot bother with such trivial matters.

I worked in a hospital for 10 years and we always worked close with them, even lately they had been happy to get involved when residents need night time help temporarily, or for advice when coming out of hospital.

Maybe we just have a great local community working together to ensure all is well.

Apologies for offending anyone for recommending this obviously ridiculous option!

Just put a job advertisement in the paper so.
    Public health nurses are under enough pressure looking after the sick and newborns without being expected to help the able.
    I really don't think you should, or it's appropriate, to bother them with this.

To be honest, your attitude absolutely sucks. I gave your first reply the benefit of the doubt, but your last 2 replies have clarified your position in a pretty poor light.

Elderly people living in the community are not worth bothering the HSE nursing system and it's 'inappropriate' to bother them with this!?
    So rather than pre-emptive assesment, by a HSE service (if it exists, as I asked for) or a private service, you think I should advertise in the bloody papers (for whom, out of interest)? WTF? Are you for real? Why do you think I'm asking for info here? Fcuk it, let's just let her get ill and be a major burden on the health service and require constant care as a result of a preventable incident!

I really hope you are not a nurse!

To the others who replied, thank you for replying.

If anyone has information on what services exist in Roscommon, public or private, for home visits to an elderly yet mobile person then please let me know. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

Pique wrote: »
    To be honest, your attitude absolutely sucks. I gave your first reply the benefit of the doubt, but your last 2 replies have clarified your position in a pretty poor light.

Elderly people living in the community are not worth bothering the HSE nursing system and it's 'inappropriate' to bother them with this!?
    So rather than pre-emptive assesment, by a HSE service (if it exists, as I asked for) or a private service, you think I should advertise in the bloody papers (for whom, out of interest)? WTF? Are you for real? Why do you think I'm asking for info here? Fcuk it, let's just let her get ill and be a major burden on the health service and require constant care as a result of a preventable incident!

I really hope you are not a nurse!

To the others who replied, thank you for replying.

If anyone has information on what services exist in Roscommon, public or private, for home visits to an elderly yet mobile person then please let me know. Thanks.
    Roscommon disability support group and Roscommon home services are two care companies, not for profits, in Roscommon. Try them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Maggie98

Pique, I've read your post.Someone who is still driving can attend their local surgery and either see the GP or the practice nurse. If you have concerns about your relative contact their GP. There will be agencies who will come in as required or the Irish Wheelchair Association have a home service advertised if you go to their website.

I know this is an old post but I got the impression you were worried which is why I posted.

Thanks for posting. Since my initial post, she has had a hip replacement and is no longer able to drive and is now in a nursing home.

Advertisement