Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worth repairing?

Options
  • 26-11-2015 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

bought a pc from a friend in the uk, he sent a monitor as well.
    but the screen is cracked.
    byc20It.jpg

wondering if it is possible to repair such damage, and even worth trying?

if anyone knows a good place on the south east part of dublin who can do it then i'd appriciate the details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Not worth fixing in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

No, total waste of money repairing. Monitors are 10 a penny. Mine looks very similar to that one and I got mine free to a good home from a friend. A very quick search of advrts turned up this one for 30 euros in Firhouse.

Back when I was doing PC repairs I stopped repairing monitors and printers apart from basic troubleshooting because even the disassembly takes too long. You can have the back off a PC in seconds, a monitor can take quite a bit longer. When a new printer costs 40 quid and a 2nd hand monitor can be had for about the same, it doesn't benefit anyone.

Very conservative breakdown of costs:

20 mins disassembly - 20 euro
    Replacement screen - (very conservative estimate) 30 euro
    delivery - 10 euro
    20 mins reassembly - 20 euro
    Total - 80 euro

My very conservative estimate comes to 80, and thats seriously conservative. You can get a new monitor for 130 quid in Harvey Norman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

I ageee with syklops, just get new one. Least you will have new warranty (If you buy new) and will last a good few years, while if you got that one fixed or got another 2nd hand one, how much more life is left in them? could only last 1 month so id spend bout €100 and get new monitor. Here one in argos for €119
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3397129/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%252C%2BPCs%2Band%2Bphones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CComputers%2Band%2Bmonitors%7C14419111/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419111%7CPC%2Bmonitors%7C14419112.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Yeah. I figured as much. Checked adverts shortly after making that post. Hopefully cyber Monday will be lucky for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

syklops wrote: »
    No, total waste of money repairing. Monitors are 10 a penny. Mine looks very similar to that one and I got mine free to a good home from a friend. A very quick search of advrts turned up this one for 30 euros in Firhouse.

Back when I was doing PC repairs I stopped repairing monitors and printers apart from basic troubleshooting because even the disassembly takes too long. You can have the back off a PC in seconds, a monitor can take quite a bit longer. When a new printer costs 40 quid and a 2nd hand monitor can be had for about the same, it doesn't benefit anyone.

Very conservative breakdown of costs:

20 mins disassembly - 20 euro
    Replacement screen - (very conservative estimate) 30 euro
    delivery - 10 euro
    20 mins reassembly - 20 euro
    Total - 80 euro

My very conservative estimate comes to 80, and thats seriously conservative. You can get a new monitor for 130 quid in Harvey Norman.
    A euro a minute!! The boom is back...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

jca wrote: »
    A euro a minute!! The boom is back...

My estimates were extremely conservative. The margins in PC repair are minuscule. Its not like an assembly line of PCs to fix where you fix 10 PCs in a day. Some days you dont have any jobs at all. Other days you spend longer than planned fixing some issue but only charge for the hour or two.

Advertisement