Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking possibly for a possible VPN or alternative to make a purchase online?

Options
  • 26-11-2015 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Apologies if posting in the wrong place, but i am looking for advice for purchasing a video on the website Vimeo, the only problem is that the video i am looking for is only available to purchase in the USA and seems to be region locked, i was thinking of using a proxy to purchase, but don't trust entering credit card/paypal deatails whilst using one, since i am only going to use this the one time, i am wondering does anyone have experience safely using a free proxy or even a VPN to purchase anything in a different region online safely, or even an alternative. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I use a VPN that I pay yearly for so there is no peer to peer connection. However I would still be nervous using a credit card.

I would get myself a disposable credit card (Swirl) etc and use that rather than your own card.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Yea was thinking of maybe a disposable card, just don't want to wait, so was seeing if there was a quicker option before doing so, thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

You'll be fine with a using a credit card on a VPN. Any site worth its salt these days will be using TLS, so your data will be encrypted regardless. The VPN provider could technically perform a man in the middle attack to grab your details, but your browser would then alert you of a certificate error.

If it's just for use every now and then, Tunnelbear are quite reputable and give you a 500MB allowance per day for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Could you use PayPal for the purchase?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Please review the charter regarding discussions geo ip block circumvention.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement