Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus Email

Options
  • 26-11-2015 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hey Folks

I'm having issues with the mothers PC. Now neither my mother or myself are quite the experts in terms of IT but rather novices and it appears we've accidentally installed some virus. :eek:

Last Monday we got a call from Windows asking for our passwords and other personal information my mother unfortunately gave out some details along with her email address.

Since then she's been receiving pictures of some blokes knob and spam links for dogging meetup sites.

How do we stop this carry on?

Cheers

James C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Hey Folks

I'm having issues with the mothers PC. Now neither my mother or myself are quite the experts in terms of IT but rather novices and it appears we've accidentally installed some virus. :eek:

Last Monday we got a call from Windows asking for our passwords and other personal information my mother unfortunately gave out some details along with her email address.

Since then she's been receiving pictures of some blokes knob and spam links for dogging meetup sites.

Cheers

James C

<snip>

I assume you have an anti virus programme installed? If so, you need to do a full system scan,also you might need to download a malware software,which will scan and remove any rogue apps or software on your pc

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Download and install malwarebytes on the computer and then run the scan. Could be worth using adwcleaner as well while you're at it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Stick to the topic please, no smart responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

Hey Folks

Cheers

James C

I agree with the Malwarebytes suggestion.

However, the other stuff you're mentioning may or may not be connected to the Windows con job. Could there be anyone else who has access to the computer that might be getting up to no good? Just worth bearing in mind as I don't think they're usually associated with this dogging stuff that you're seeing.

I'd consider doing a backup and a fresh install if it still didn't seem "clean" after the malware scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Praetorian22

Hi Folks

Thanks for the help and tips

Late last night my mother received a webcam call from presumably the same guy who has been sending these emails and links to her via skype.

He was lying on a bed draped in velvet and I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Is there any official type software I can purchase to block these email addresses there have been two in total.

Thanks

JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Theres one here,its a paid software but theres a free trial version that you could try
    https://www.malwarebytes.org

Theres tons of free malware removal tools,just do a quick google search.let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kev1nDonn

Your Mother has been a victim of a scam. Not her fault as scammers can be very convincing to the unaware.

If I was you I would do the following urgently AT A MINIMUM:

1. delete your Mother's e-mail address (set up a new one only when the PC has been cleaned)
    2. delete your Mother's SKYPE account (as above, set up a new SKYPE account when the PC has been cleaned)
    3. run my mother unfortunately gave out some details along with her email address.
    4. run an anti malware programme
    5. advise your Mother to NEVER give out passwords or any private information to anyone over the phone or via e-mail etc. Honest people will never ask you for such information.

If you can the following would be preferable:

1 & 2 as above
    3. Reinstall Windows on your Mother's PC. This will entail losing all information it currently holds so things she wants to keep will need to be backed up. (She should be backing things up anyway as a matter of course to an external hard drive).
    4. install and run an anti malware programme
    5. install and an anti malware programme

This may seem over the top but it will give you and your Mother peace of mind.

If you are unsure how to do any of the above find someone who can help. In the meantime tell your Mother to turn off her PC and disconnect it from the internet until the above changes have been made.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Kev1nDonn wrote: »
    Your Mother has been a victim of a scam. Not her fault as scammers can be very convincing to the unaware.

If I was you I would do the following urgently AT A MINIMUM:

1. delete your Mother's e-mail address (set up a new one only when the PC has been cleaned)
    2. delete your Mother's SKYPE account (as above, set up a new SKYPE account when the PC has been cleaned)
    3. run my mother unfortunately gave out some details along with her email address.
    4. run an anti malware programme
    5. advise your Mother to NEVER give out passwords or any private information to anyone over the phone or via e-mail etc. Honest people will never ask you for such information.

If you can the following would be preferable:

1 & 2 as above
    3. Reinstall Windows on your Mother's PC. This will entail losing all information it currently holds so things she wants to keep will need to be backed up. (She should be backing things up anyway as a matter of course to an external hard drive).
    4. install and run an anti malware programme
    5. install and an anti malware programme

This may seem over the top but it will give you and your Mother peace of mind.

If you are unsure how to do any of the above find someone who can help. In the meantime tell your Mother to turn off her PC and disconnect it from the internet until the above changes have been made.

Good luck.

Thats the advice you need all 100 percent right.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kev1nDonn

Sorry, first # 3 above should read:

3. "run an antivirus programme"

Second # 4 should read:

4. "install and run an antivirus programme."

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Praetorian22

Thanks a million guys Ill get on it

Greatly appreciate it

• Advertisement
Advertisement