Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stainless Steel - Shur Why not .

• 26-11-2015 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭

So , ....................

I've been thinking about this for a while , I rebuild my Kayfun V4 and my subtanks with kanthal without any problems but lately I've been seduced over to the TC side . I have the evic mini and have used the Ni and Ti stock coils ( preferred the Ti ) and I now have one of the CLR coils for the ego one mega . So I'm considering the SS for the rebuilds .

Had a look and listen on youtube and tbh I'm not much wiser as I don't readily see and consensus on the subject ( of course there is a massive difference between it being there and me being able to see it ) . I think 304? is the type ? to go for ? , not sure which guage or even where to buy , not sure if I can use it in the Kayfun ? subtank ? Lemo 2 ?

Has anyone come across a video or advice that they would consider ' the way to go ' ? Or anyone with experience with SS that they would like to impart ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

jonski wrote: »
    So , ....................

I've been thinking about this for a while , I rebuild my Kayfun V4 and my subtanks with kanthal without any problems but lately I've been seduced over to the TC side . I have the evic mini and have used the Ni and Ti stock coils ( preferred the Ti ) and I now have one of the CLR coils for the ego one mega . So I'm considering the SS for the rebuilds .

Had a look and listen on youtube and tbh I'm not much wiser as I don't readily see and consensus on the subject ( of course there is a massive difference between it being there and me being able to see it ) . I think 304? is the type ? to go for ? , not sure which guage or even where to buy , not sure if I can use it in the Kayfun ? subtank ? Lemo 2 ?

Has anyone come across a video or advice that they would consider ' the way to go ' ? Or anyone with experience with SS that they would like to impart ?

You can use the calculator here to work out how many wraps required etc. with different gauges of steel.

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?mat=ss316l&r=0.3&awg=26&id=2

Does the Evic support Stainless Steel? the resistance/temp curve that the mods use to calculate what the temp is varies from metal to metal, unless you can set it to Stainless, as far as I am aware it only has VT Ni, VT Ti, VW and Bypass modes, or it allows you to configure the relevant co-efficient for the metal you use, you'll have to calculate what Temp for Ni or Ti is the equivalent for SS and use that number to set your temp.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

Using SS is interesting... seems safer the Ni or Ti but I'm no expert.

The Evic VTC mini has a user installable firmware update that supports SS.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/evic-vtc-mini-firmware-v20-adds-support-stainless-steel-adam-keung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭nuttyboy79

There's a firmware update for the Evic mini that allows you use stainless steel in temperature mode. I've tried it in my Subtank with the RBA Jonski and tbh it's as good as nickel (and I do love a good nickel coil) it's quite good in wattage too. As for the build the stainless steel I used had no grading on it so I checked all the grades through steam engine and there wasn't too much difference in the resistance so went with a 7 wrap build. Tried a spaced coil first it worked but popped and crackled a lot. The next one went with a contact coil treated it like kanthal and it's a great coil. Like nickel great flavour and vapor production with half the wraps.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭jonski

Update time : So I finally took the plunge and bought some 316L stainless steel and had a go .

28awg 7 wraps on a 2.5 , came out at .88 , in the ego one mega tank clr head and running it in temp mode on the evic Cuboid @ 360F . The taste wasn't great at the start but that might have been down to the juice . It's working fine now and tastes fine too. Next up will be to try it on either the Triton 2 with the Anyvape Segatank RBA or the subtank mini , which ever coil needs replacing first .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Update time : So I finally took the plunge and bought some 316L stainless steel and had a go .

28awg 7 wraps on a 2.5 , came out at .88 , in the ego one mega tank clr head and running it in temp mode on the evic Cuboid @ 360F . The taste wasn't great at the start but that might have been down to the juice . It's working fine now and tastes fine too. Next up will be to try it on either the Triton 2 with the Anyvape Segatank RBA or the subtank mini , which ever coil needs replacing first .

SS builds can be used with power only,I have have watched videos where they only use wattage mode & not TC,I've been using power for SS for the past couple of months with no problems in RDA's & RTA's.
    Don't know the quality of SS,got it at Esmoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Is this the wire people are using?
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/diy/295-stainless-steel-wire-rope-7x7.html
    I just got my evic mini so I'm keen to experiment. Been using 26g and 28g kanthal most of the time and the odd bit of Clapton but no tc yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Tickityboo

SS builds can be used with power only,I have have watched videos where they only use wattage mode & not TC,I've been using power for SS for the past couple of months with no problems in RDA's & RTA's.
    Don't know the quality of SS,got it at Esmoke.

Stainless steel can be used in temp control!!!
    Why would there be a setting for it if it couldn't?

corsav6 wrote: »
    Is this the wire people are using?
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/diy/295-stainless-steel-wire-rope-7x7.html
    I just got my evic mini so I'm keen to experiment. Been using 26g and 28g kanthal most of the time and the odd bit of Clapton but no tc yet.

I went for the 316L ss wire because thats what the evics are tuned for, rather than messing around with the TCR values ( although thats easy enough to do on the evics too )

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/diy/651-stainless-steel-v4a-wire.html

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Stainless steel can be used in temp control!!!
    Why would there be a setting for it if it couldn't?

Obviously SS builds works with TC,who said they couldn't work with TC,am I on a different planet or something,read it again...:P:P:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was only adding extra info for those who do not have TC Mods that SS builds can work with Power only & you don't need TC.

Obviously SS builds works with TC,who said they couldn't work with TC,am I on a different planet or something,read it again...:P:P:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was only adding extra info for those who do not have TC Mods that SS builds can work with Power only & you don't need TC.

You might want to change the wording of your first sentence to something like (as well as temp mode) and lose the word only.

• Advertisement

Tickityboo wrote: »
    You might want to change the wording of your first sentence to something like (as well as temp mode) and lose the word only.

:D:D:D:D:D Okay,you're right,I give up,I just presumed that everyone knew what I was talking about,but I didn't say you couldn't use TC:D:D:D:cool:

:D:D:D:D:D Okay,you're right,I give up,I just presumed that everyone knew what I was talking about,but I didn't say you couldn't use TC:D:D:D:cool:

Never presume!!!😆😆

I went for the 316L ss wire because thats what the evics are tuned for, rather than messing around with the TCR values ( although thats easy enough to do on the evics too )

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/diy/651-stainless-steel-v4a-wire.html

Here is something that's not unusual ( queue Carlton Dance ) , I was wrong , Evic Cuboid and Mini ( I presume as I can't find it on the website ) are tuned for 316 not 316L .

Struggling to get the subtank mini rba to play ball . It's a .6 ss coil and works fine in power mode at 18W but I can't get it to work in TC mode . I have set the TCR to 100 and if I have the temp around 360 I just get dry hits ...if I drop it lower it just keeps going into temp protection and not firing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Is the TCR of 316 SS not 092?

Soundman wrote: »
    Is the TCR of 316 SS not 092?

I'm using 316L, on the website I bought it from it says it's TCR is 100 . I don't know what the TCR value of 316 is but I suppose I should go look then all up and post them here .............. presuming I can find them .

Ah ok. I was basing it off this:

tcr.jpg

Soundman wrote: »
    Ah ok. I was basing it off this:

tcr.jpg

Ok , I know I'm getting on a bit, but I think you might be a shill for Specsavers :D:D:D

Even with glasses I'd still need a microscope to see that :D

Taken from http://www.djlsbvapes.com/different-wires/

Every type of wire has different Temperature Coefficient or TCR and here is the list of the most common and uncommon wires used to vape:

Ni200: 0.00620

Ti01: 0.00350

SS316L: 0.00092

SS316: 0.000915

SS317L: 0.00088

SS317: 0.000875

SS304: 0.00105

SS304: 0.00105

SS430: 0.00138

SS410: 0.00155

NiFe30: 0.00320

Tungsten: 0.00450

Platinum: 0.00392

Nichrome: 0.00040

Gold: 0.00340

Iron: 0.00500

Ok , I know I'm getting on a bit, but I think you might be a shill for Specsavers :D:D:D

Even with glasses I'd still need a microscope to see that :D

Been having issues with attachments on here. Hopefully this'll work better.

tcr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

So Kanthal can be used in TC now? Needed a new mod and just picked up the evic mini TC 75W. Was going to buy nickel wire but efag.ie were out.

In theory, as long as you have the 100% correct Temperature Coefficient of Resistance number, you can vape any wire in Temperature Control.
    Personally I'd be a little wary myself, but it should be possible. And of course, you would need to trust where you get the TCR from.

I have now been vaping my own .66 Stainless Steel coil for about two weeks in the Kanger subtank mini rba @ 400 degrees on the Cuboid and it's working great . I don't use it all day , only late in the evening watching tv, but I'm nearly afraid to even put anything else on the cuboid incase the change in settings stops the thing from working . Prior to this I wasn't able to get it working for any length of time , dry hits , burnt hits even when turned down , very light hits even when turned right up , just an overall pain . But when it does work my god is it a clean and very consistent vape .

Update.... again .

.65 SS coil @ 540F in the Sega Anyvape rebuildable coil which I have in the Triton 2 tank on the VTC mini . Vaping away great for the last 10 days or so with one wick change .

.71 SS coil @ 550F in the Subtank rebuildable coil on the Cuboid for about the same length of time with a wick change and thats working great as well .

Update.... again .

.65 SS coil @ 540F in the Sega Anyvape rebuildable coil which I have in the Triton 2 tank on the VTC mini . Vaping away great for the last 10 days or so with one wick change .

.71 SS coil @ 550F in the Subtank rebuildable coil on the Cuboid for about the same length of time with a wick change and thats working great as well .

I have the vtc mini and thinking about getting cuboid for dripping and the tfv4. How do you find it? I love the vtc mini but 75w isn't enough anymore, its grand for the subtank and works flawlessly with the ni200 coils but just not enough power for the tfv4.

I was also going to order some ss 316 from thebestshop.eu and give it a go on the subtank rba. Any tips for a 1st tc build?

Cheers for keeping the thread updated.

I have the vtc mini and thinking about getting cuboid for dripping and the tfv4. How do you find it? I love the vtc mini but 75w isn't enough anymore, its grand for the subtank and works flawlessly with the ni200 coils but just not enough power for the tfv4.

I was also going to order some ss 316 from thebestshop.eu and give it a go on the subtank rba. Any tips for a 1st tc build?

Cheers for keeping the thread updated.

The Cuboid is great , absolutely no problems with it and if you watch the reviewers on Youtube you will see plenty of them using it while reviewing tanks .

Tips for SS build on the subtank , just build as you normally would , there are no extra tricks , it just works . I think the Cuboid and VTC Mini are calibrated for 316 so if you get 316L then make sure to set the TCR .

The Cuboid is great , absolutely no problems with it and if you watch the reviewers on Youtube you will see plenty of them using it while reviewing tanks .

Tips for SS build on the subtank , just build as you normally would , there are no extra tricks , it just works . I think the Cuboid and VTC Mini are calibrated for 316 so if you get 316L then make sure to set the TCR .

Thanks jonski.
    That's it settled then, cuboid is my next purchase. I've wrapped everything from Evod coils to drippers so I'm grand wrapping coils.
    I've read that you can set the TCR for any wire on the cuboid and vtc, have you tried it?
    Sorry for all the questions jonski,

Thanks jonski.
    That's it settled then, cuboid is my next purchase. I've wrapped everything from Evod coils to drippers so I'm grand wrapping coils.
    I've read that you can set the TCR for any wire on the cuboid and vtc, have you tried it?
    Sorry for all the questions jonski,

Yeah , you have to set the TCR for SS 316L ( which is what I bought ) on both the Cuboid and the VTC . Both set for plain 316 iirc so if you buy that you don't need make any changes .

If you pulse your coils to get them set up right then I would suggest leaving them stand for a while afterwards before you lock in the resistance .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I was looking into this, and I came across reddit posts saying the Evic mini TC updated firmware was compatible with 316L from the off in SS mode. Will see can I find that again ....

Pondering on some SS wire myself. I'll probably just use it mostly in wattage mode though anyway

Just found it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/3u9jjd/316l_ss_and_how_to_use_it_with_a_evic_vtc_mini/

Since V 3.0 316L is compatible. You should be at 3.01 atm - you can check by turning off the mod and clicking the fire button 20 times, firmware version will then show on screen.

• Advertisement

I was looking into this, and I came across reddit posts saying the Evic mini TC updated firmware was compatible with 316L from the off in SS mode. Will see can I find that again ....

Pondering on some SS wire myself. I'll probably just use it mostly in wattage mode though anyway

Just found it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/3u9jjd/316l_ss_and_how_to_use_it_with_a_evic_vtc_mini/

Since V 3.0 316L is compatible. You should be at 3.01 atm - you can check by turning off the mod and clicking the fire button 20 times, firmware version will then show on screen.

I thought the updated firmware changed it from 304 to 316, not 316L .

Advertisement