Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stainless Steel - Shur Why not .

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

You could be right, those guys seemed to suggest it was 316L ready though?

On M1, say, you set the value to 0092 for 316L otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

You could be right, those guys seemed to suggest it was 316L ready though?

On M1, say, you set the value to 0092 for 316L otherwise?

If you go to the evic mini software update page it only seems to mention 316 .

Yup 0092 on M1

Have it done, I'll probably end up never using it anyway :D

I find SS in wattage mode pretty decent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I was looking into this, and I came across reddit posts saying the Evic mini TC updated firmware was compatible with 316L from the off in SS mode. Will see can I find that again ....

You can put your own values in the memory for various SS types, however I got some SS, and had to play around to make it "happy"

Temp Control has some drawbacks though, my biggest gripe about it, is that i'm downing over 20ml of juice per day now :-S .... no fear of burning cotton has me taking MASSIVE drags (highly satisfying I'll admit, but costing a fortune)

I'll have a fiddle about with it once I get some SS wire. Any recommendations on that front? Do you guys just buy 28g SS 316l or whatever? or SS fused/clapton/twisted?

• Advertisement

I'll have a fiddle about with it once I get some SS wire. Any recommendations on that front?

I just played around with the values until they were approximately correct based on the way the coils "pulse", I'm using 24 gauge @ a value of 138 and 37 watts which seems to be the sweet spot on mine to get a steady ramp up (which I'm used to) and constant temp hold.
    my biggest gripe about it, is that i'm downing over 20ml of juice per day now :-S

I didn't realize the last bottles of juice I got were 50ml's, and not the usual 30ml's, 100ml gone in less than 3 days of playing around, feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I'm having no luck with ss316l. Did a few builds tonight in an RBA and then a RDA.

Was ok in wattage mode. Tried TC in the RDA, built two coils coming out around 0.16 ohms. Set the TCR to 092 on my rx200, had the hottest vape of my life, ended up uncontrollably dribbling for a few seconds.

Back in the box for now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

moleyv wrote: »
    had the hottest vape of my life, ended up uncontrollably dribbling for a few seconds

LOL :D

I've had a quick play with SS on a Zero Mini and did something similar - my taste buds got fried for a while.

I found I needed to keep the watt settings sorta where I would have them in regular power mode and then it would start to temp protect as the wicks dried out. Sometimes it worked ok and then it would just temp protect for no good reason.

Not bothered with it after that as power mode was a lot less hassle.

Well my lastest update to the SS debate comes in the form of a build on my new Wotofo Serpent .

So 316L, 6 wraps of .32 on a 3mm bit came out at .8 . It's on the Cuboid at TCR 092, 500 degrees and set to 25 watts and it's working flawlessly . Tank working great, great flavour and temp control working perfect as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Same with the Bellus,dual SS coils,0.2,520F at 50w on a RX200 & vaping beautifully with perfect taste.I tried the 316l & ordinary SS at TCR 085 on both & found no difference at all between the two coils or TCR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭nuttyboy79

Dual build 2.5mm bit 8 spaced wraps coming out at .27 ohms in a Griffin running at 30w and 450f on a Cuboid, lovely vape great flavour and vapour. Tried a quad build in a Smok TF-RTA absolute bugger to build on there seems to be a knack to it that I just cant get :confused::confused: jumps straight out of temp. mode :mad: still a nice vape though.

moleyv wrote: »
    I'm having no luck with ss316l. Did a few builds tonight in an RBA and then a RDA.

Was ok in wattage mode. Tried TC in the RDA, built two coils coming out around 0.16 ohms. Set the TCR to 092 on my rx200, had the hottest vape of my life, ended up uncontrollably dribbling for a few seconds.

Back in the box for now!!
    Did you set the resistance lock ?

Tried any higher TCR numbers ?

Check the Ramp Up wattage (if any), mine frazzled my juice when I set it to 75 Watt & TC

.16 ohms seems insanely low, what Gauge / Number of wraps

was.deevey wrote:
    .16 ohms seems insanely low, what Gauge / Number of wraps

24 gauge, 8 wraps, 2mm, 2 coils of SS316L. The SS is geekvape so I assume its reasonable quality.
    was.deevey wrote:
    Check the Ramp Up wattage (if any), mine frazzled my juice when I set it to 75 Watt & TC

I hadn't limited it, but only had it set to 190 degC. I'm not sure I can limit the wattage on the RX200. I know I can on my cuboid so might start there next time. I probably got the full 200w from the Rx200 as the batteries were fully charged.
    was.deevey wrote:
    Tried any higher TCR numbers ?

was.deevey wrote:
    Did you set the resistance lock ?

No and No. Normally when doing temp control I'll give it one pulse or two before locking the resistance, seems to perform better for me. Foolishly I had my lips around it for the first pulse in TC mode.

I'll give it a go again tonight maybe. I just looked into the RDA there and the cotton doesn't look burnt, I'll be changing it regardless. The coil isn't black or anything, except the leads look fairly blackened. I lightly pulsed them when building (not to glow or anything) and there was no hotspots or anything.

OK so I built again, came out at 0.17, so pretty much like last time.

Used the cuboid, locked resistance, used the SS316L setting on the newer firmware. Limited the wattage to 50 watts. And it vaped away fine for a while.

Then it kicked me out of SS316L mode into wattage. Works fine in wattage but keeps kicking me out if I try to go back into TC. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭nuttyboy79

I've found TC to only work with spaced coils any contact in the wraps will bring you out of TC and into wattage. Keep trying though it's a great vape when you get it right. As for the RX200 4 clicks of the button in any of the TC modes will let you adjust the wattage used.

nuttyboy79 wrote:
    I've found TC to only work with spaced coils any contact in the wraps will bring you out of TC and into wattage. Keep trying though it's a great vape when you get it right. As for the RX200 4 clicks of the button in any of the TC modes will let you adjust the wattage used.

Cheers!! I'll try spaced coils next then. I was basically building what I would with kanthal.

Then it kicked me out of SS316L mode into wattage. Works fine in wattage but keeps kicking me out if I try to go back into TC. Any ideas?
    How many wraps are you doing to get .17 ohms though and what Gauge - just seems crazy low.

Same thing happened me the first few attempts - kept kicking me out of TC. I changed my TCR to 138 though and its been working perfectly since and appears to be accurate.

Spaced Coils or Contact coils, the latter never worked for me, I was getting coils welded to each other the first few tries - especially if I was set at the full 75 watts (this might be your issue)

I'm up at 210c with 24 gauge .45ohm dual coils with 12 wraps @ 2.2mm spaced - I found its about the same as vaping @ 50watts.

I'm on an Evic mini BTW, so guess you have reasonably the same settings to play around with on the cuboid regards ramp up.

was.deevey wrote:
    How many wraps are you doing to get .17 ohms though and what Gauge - just seems crazy low.

Sorry I mentioned it above, but I made another post after it. The two coils together put out 0.17, so individually would be 0.34?

moleyv wrote:
    24 gauge, 8 wraps, 2mm, 2 coils of SS316L. The SS is geekvape so I assume its reasonable quality.

I think yourself and nuttyboy gave me the answer, to use spaced coils. It will probably be another few days before I can try again.

After a bit of reading last night I decided to go with spaced coils to eliminate the dry burning while checking the coils .

I did both the Serpent and the Triton 2 with the Anyvape rba , still using the .32 316L . one on a 3mm and the other on a 2mm , .73 and .49 , both working great in TC mode on the Cuboid and the Evic Mini . Really easy to do spaced coils with 316L .

I grabbed some SS wire in a bit of a rush today, it was all they had so I said i'd try it. Turns out it's 317 ss 0.45, which makes it pretty much 25g

Now looking at coil wrap calculators it seems you need to wrap this one a lot to get where I'd like to be for dual coils - in around 0.4ohms. It'll be grand for single coil, so no problem for my Melo RBA, or for the Bellus RTA for single coil option. But on the velocity it seems i'll need 14 wraps each coil to get my desired 0.4 ohms. Or, 11 wraps each for 0.3ohm. No biggy I guess, wider coils = better flavour usually.

Any real difference between 317 and 316?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

I grabbed some SS wire in a bit of a rush today, it was all they had so I said i'd try it. Turns out it's 317 ss 0.45, which makes it pretty much 25g

Now looking at coil wrap calculators it seems you need to wrap this one a lot to get where I'd like to be for dual coils - in around 0.4ohms. It'll be grand for single coil, so no problem for my Melo RBA, or for the Bellus RTA for single coil option. But on the velocity it seems i'll need 14 wraps each coil to get my desired 0.4 ohms. Or, 11 wraps each for 0.3ohm. No biggy I guess, wider coils = better flavour usually.

Any real difference between 317 and 316?

To be honest for our purposes its a small difference. I don't bother with TC and it may have slightly different thermal coefficient values but anyway short answer-
    Biggest difference is the amount of chromium and molybdenum in the composition. 316 has slightly less than 317. 317 is slightly more corrosion resistant and slightly stiffer. L denotes lower carbon content.
    Long answer- this is a data sheet primarily for fabrication and welding http://www.stal.com.cn/pdffile/316316l317317l.pdf
    Ah sure geek yourself out, you know you wanna!

judas1369 wrote: »
    To be honest for our purposes its a small difference. I don't bother with TC and it may have slightly different thermal coefficient values but anyway short answer-
    Biggest difference is the amount of chromium and molybdenum in the composition. 316 has slightly less than 317. 317 is slightly more corrosion resistant and slightly stiffer. L denotes lower carbon content.
    Long answer- this is a data sheet primarily for fabrication and welding http://www.stal.com.cn/pdffile/316316l317317l.pdf
    Ah sure geek yourself out, you know you wanna!

Heh, thanks, I really don't though. I like tl:dr synopsis :D I will mostly use it in power mode too. Made a dual coil set using it on the velocity last night that cam to 0.3 ohms and it worked really nicely. It seems to ramp up quicker than kanthal. Just a tad. And flavour was clean and crisp.

I've found it vital to clean wire using a alcohol wipe, I get a box of 100 wipes from the chemist. There is always some residue left on the wipe after a clean. Now that I do this I get no change in taste from any wire type I use and the vape tastes good right from the get go. SS is a touch cleaner and leaves less residue then kanthal but I'd still do the cleaning process.

8mm wrote: »
    I've found it vital to clean wire using a alcohol wipe, I get a box of 100 wipes from the chemist. There is always some residue left on the wipe after a clean. Now that I do this I get no change in taste from any wire type I use and the vape tastes good right from the get go. SS is a touch cleaner and leaves less residue then kanthal but I'd still do the cleaning process.

Not a bad idea. I do flash all coils before wicking which should rid most residue but no harm being extra careful

The wipes are great for giving mods/tanks/drip tips a quick wipe down and clean too.

Given how much crap we touch with our hands, I'd rather not be transferring germs/bacteria onto warm gear and shoving that into my face LOL yuk!

8mm wrote: »
    The wipes are great for giving mods/tanks/drip tips a quick wipe down and clean too.

Given how much crap we touch with our hands, I'd rather not be transferring germs/bacteria onto warm gear and shoving that into my face LOL yuk!

I'm pretty sure i actually have some somewhere. I use them for cleaning my camera gear. You get them in sensor cleaning kits too.

Advertisement