Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock

Options
  • 26-11-2015 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello
    What Is Blackrock co Louth like as a place to live and bring up a family?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Excellent on all fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Its a very nice village with excellent amenities and schools. I would guess house prices might be a bit steep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

MrsD123 wrote: »
    Hello
    What Is Blackrock co Louth like as a place to live and bring up a family?
    Many thanks

Perhaps, I'm biased. After all, I did grow up in Blackrock myself.

But I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find a better place in Ireland to live/raise kids. I don't live in Blackrock now, but my parents do, my brother & sister and their spouses and kids do, and my girlfriend does. I'm back every weekend that I can be.

Most of my friends from when I grew up there have chosen to settle in Blackrock.

I spent 5 years living in Scotland; my best mate that I met in Scotland has settled in Blackrock.

The village (town really; if you lifted it up and dropped it in Connacht it'd be a major town) has grown a lot. I know loads of people who didn't grow up in Blackrock but who have settled there; they all seem to love it.

A friend of mine grew up in a British army family - consequently he moved around an awful lot as a kid. He has settled in Blackrock with his wife (who's from Mayo) and their kids. He told me that Blackrock is the only place that he's ever thought of as home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Perhaps, I'm biased. After all, I did grow up in Blackrock myself.

But I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find a better place in Ireland to live/raise kids. I don't live in Blackrock now, but my parents do, my brother & sister and their spouses and kids do, and my girlfriend does. I'm back every weekend that I can be.

Most of my friends from when I grew up there have chosen to settle in Blackrock.

I spent 5 years living in Scotland; my best mate that I met in Scotland has settled in Blackrock.

The village (town really; if you lifted it up and dropped it in Connacht it'd be a major town) has grown a lot. I know loads of people who didn't grow up in Blackrock but who have settled there; they all seem to love it.

A friend of mine grew up in a British army family - consequently he moved around an awful lot as a kid. He has settled in Blackrock with his wife (who's from Mayo) and their kids. He told me that Blackrock is the only place that he's ever thought of as home.

Have you ever admitted to yourself that you're really just living in a suburb of Dundalk? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

doncarlos wrote: »
    Have you ever admitted to yourself that you're really just living in a suburb of Dundalk? :p

Not sure what your point is?

Although not actually within the town boundaries of Dundalk (and therefore not in reality a "suburb" of The Town), Blackrock is in many respects very like a suburb, yes.

So living in Blackrock carries all the advantages of living close to a major population centre with its attendant advantages such as schools, shops, cinemas, pubs/clubs, Inst of Tech, sports clubs, pools, gyms etc.

Soccer fans from Blackrock support Dundalk FC.
    Rugby players from Blackrock play for Dundalk RFC.

So, what's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Not sure what your point is?

Although not actually within the town boundaries of Dundalk (and therefore not in reality a "suburb" of The Town), Blackrock is in many respects very like a suburb, yes.

So living in Blackrock carries all the advantages of living close to a major population centre with its attendant advantages such as schools, shops, cinemas, pubs/clubs, Inst of Tech, sports clubs, pools, gyms etc.

Soccer fans from Blackrock support Dundalk FC.
    Rugby players from Blackrock play for Dundalk RFC.

So, what's your point?

Ah I was only having a rib. Thought the smiley may have given that away. :o

Have lots of friends from the rock and they all hate being told they're from Dundalk. I'm well aware it's a village in it's own right and would agree with all you've said about Blackrock.

Advertisement